Options

Lakesman 2017

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmm . . . do I want 1000 people to see me flailing about like an octopus having a seizure?
  • Options
    Just been shopping for race nutrition, beer, wine, rum and black pudding bought :)
    car still fubbared so I'm cycling up. Going to give the mini mutineers a backies, one on the seat and one on the tri bars.  At least that means I'll get some training in :)
    I have also been shopping for supplies - a wee taste of Scotland to bring over the border
  • Options
    Are they finished yet ??   :-)
  • Options
    M...eldy said:
    Are they finished yet ??   :-)
     No I think there is a little bit of rum left but I'm about to put it in my morning coffee. 
  • Options
    Oarsum top efforts by all in yesterday's heat ☀️
  • Options
    When do we start the Lakesman 2018 thread? When the sunburn has peeled? Great effort and amazing support yesterday!
  • Options
    Excellent event, despite the tough conditions! The course certainly looked nice in the sun, anyway...

Great work everyone, both racing and supporting. Huge thanks for the support sent my way.
  • Options
    Coop, were you at Lakesman?
  • Options
    Hats off to all of you who raced in that heat B)
  • Options
    That was an amazing event. Great location. Crazy warm weather and the best support ever. Really worth doing. Great job all pirates. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Lakesman Race Report (part 1) - mostly not about the swim

Agreeing on Wednesday to do the swim for Duda seemed like a good idea at the time.  Not having had my wetsuit out of the wardrobe, done any open water since Austria 2015, or indeed any substantial swim training,  were minor concerns.

Arrived in a gloriously sunny Keswick on Saturday morning.  Littleclown was my hostess with the mostess for the weekend and had set up our accommodation on Friday.  Very silly of her, since I am a natural-born camper and could have had it all done for her in 5 minutes flat.  Never mind, it's the thought that counts.

Met up with Duda, and went to register.  Being a very last-minute entrant, I had to have a very last-minute handwritten number/ID bracelet.  In proper Pirate fashion, I managed to stick it round my arm inside out, so that my name and number were on the inside.  Off to a good start. 
    Littleclown, M&Ms and Luscious Lisa (potential Pirate name?) went for a wee test swim and declared the water to be lovely.  The lake did look spectacular.

M&Ms and Inappropriate Rich were kind enough to do a chippie run, and a pre-race fish supper went down a treat.
    I had one of the worst night's sleep ever. I was bloody frozen and eventually had to get up at 3 to put a hoodie on. 
    There surely cannot be a more marvellous experience than gagging down runny instant porridge at 4am.

It was a short walk to the lake, which looked stunning.  We filed in to the water and it was surprisingly warm. 6am and we were off!
    I think it would be very hard to find a more beautiful location for a swim.  Looking up to sight and seeing such stunning scenery was a joy.  The water was clear and at a perfect temperature.  If only I could learn to bloody swim in a straight line . . .
    It was all pretty straightforward until the final turn buoy, after which there was nothing to indicate which direction we we should swim in .  There were a few confused heads bobbing up, so I opted to follow the people in front and hoped for the best.  Thankfully they all went in the right direction, and it was over too soon.  I really could have kept swimming.  It was so beautiful in there. 
    Duda was waiting to run into transition with me, and told me I'd done around 1:26 - quite happy with that, thank you very much.  Handed over the chip and saw him off on the bike.  I went back out to see Littleclown and Mrs DIgger arriving in transition, and managed to resist SA's enthusiastic offers of wetsuit removal.  
    We later discovered that the swim was much closer to 4k, which made me even happier with my time (chip 1:27:51)

The rest of the day was awesome.  And hot.  Very, very hot.  There was much "Arrrrrgh-ing" and general nonsense.  The Pirates put on a terrific finish line show and, as usual, showed their true colours supporting not only each other but also athletes who they didn't know and who were obviously struggling.
    It was lovely to meet new Pirate buddies, and have at least one other Celt with a proper accent.

Lakesman half next year is definitely on my radar.

Hilariously, I woke this morning to discover I had all but lost my voice.  However, my fellow campers were caring and sensitive and no-one mentioned it.

Looking forward to Outlaw now - bring it on.

I'm sure Duda will be along shortly with the bike and run bits.

• Options

First off huge thanks due to Nursey for stepping in well past the 11th hour and saving my race.

I am going to jump back in time to start with the race briefing, I usually find them a bit dull and only go along because you may find something out that is new to the day or specific to that race but the atmosphere was different, loads of banter between the race director and the participants. Most important bit of info given out was due to the expected heat on race day they suspended the outside assistance rule allowing spectators to hand drinks and refreshments to the competitors.

Best move ever. Well done Lakesman

So, as she was  going into the water I said to Nursey, see you in an hour and a half? She laughed and said more like two.  At least I think that’s what she said she does speak a bit funny. Anyhoo 1:26 ish and she was back, Great work Nurse Ratched . Apparently she enjoyed it too, wierdo, even though its swimming!!

No real transition faff, I was saving that for T2 as I hadn’t swam I didn’t need to fix my make-up

I hadn’t done much training at all since London Mara so I wasn’t hoping for quick race all I wanted was to get my medal and my monies worth. I’ll save you the detailed pedal stroke by pedal stroke race report.

The course in places was utterly stunning and the bit that weren’t much to look at tended to be very fast so it was head down in the bars and give it some. I had a lot of mechanical issues including my crank arm and pedal falling off at one point, thanks to the lady that stopped to give loan me her bike tool to fix it. At different points I needed to give both my derailleur’s some attention and  spent the last 50KM manually having to change up on the big gear on the front at the top of each hill. Highlight of the bike as sitting on Sea wall the eating my smoked cheese and ham baguette which I  had brought along for my lunch. I did get a few funny looks though but .... Yum!!

Off the bike in 6:32

T2 faffage- full change, make up fixed, sun screen and chamois crime on, I think over all t2 time was about 3 weeks.

Out on the shuffle .

Came out slow and got slower. Feck, it was hot. Bumped into a mate from my running club who had done Tri X the day before and was quickly handed a Cornetto, Cheers Jools you’re a  Legend  B) . Bit of jogging about and then I saw Ginge and the mini mutineers. She handed me the sponges I had requested. Every aid station had tubs of water that these could be soaked in which really helped in the heat.  I bumped into Jools fairly regularly who kept handing me ice lollies as well as handfuls of ice cubes  to put under my cap. He was just wandering round the run course  handing ice cubes to anyone that wanted then

Part of the run is 4 lengths of the same road, up and down, first lap I thought Dog how un-inspiring but actually most of the time there was a handful of other Pirates to high five or later in the run grunt acknowledgement at. It’s a 5 lap run and during the later laps this up and down section really helped mentally break the course down in sections. Walk one, run one, crawl one and so on.  :)

I’d hoped for a 4:15 but given the heat I am more than happy with the 5:30

Quick  skip down the Finishers Shute with Nursey and the Mini Mutineers and it was beer O’clock

Huge thanks to the pirate support Crew all over the course you were Oarsum as ever.

• Options
    drove up Saturday lunch time, registered as marshal, went to the pub, went to camp site, air bed knackered, went back to pub,
    up at 4 in the morning and off to see the swim start
    lots of shouting and waving of arms till 11 o'clock at night
    Jordy decided he didn't want another night in the tent so chucked everything in the back of car and drove home getting back at 2:15

Plus side was 

Its a fantastic event, reminded very much of Outlaw in the early days
    Seeing and spending time with Pirate friends old & new
    Finish line is the best location to be a marshal
    The location is stunning, it really is

Downside was

No parking, we had a 2 mile walk from the car park to the event 
    Spending so much time making sure Jordy was eating that I forgot to myself, after LC got a bacon roll for me I ended up not eating for 30 hours
    People (including us) not hanging around for a celebration on Monday

It would make a great championship event but because it is UK how many people would stick around for the Monday pirate party?
    They are running a half distance event next year on the same day as the full

Does any of this make me want to go long again - NO
  • Options
    Had a proper top time at Lakesman, thanks in no small part to the large pirate contingent.  Here is my report for anyone interested....

Swim

Swimming has never been my forte.  Unlike cycling and running, it’s mostly about technique, and I just don’t have the patience or inclination to bash out drill after drill to make myself any better (or less shit).

So, off the back of a handful of pool swims this year, and one open water practice swim at Pennington Flash (bleurgh) a few weeks ago, I was sauntering down to the water’s edge along with a number of other ‘keen’ pirates at 5.50am on Sunday morning.

Others have already said it, and no doubt others will do too, but this REALLY IS a stunning location for a swim.  The weather was clearly a factor, but even so, just wow!  Bobbing about in a pan flat, crystal clear lake with a mountain backdrop behind which the early morning sun is just starting to peek out, actually made me just want to get going and enjoy this thing.

So, the hooter goes and all the good swimmers get themselves on their way.  I, on the other hand, continue to enjoy bobbing about for a minute or so, to be sure of some space in which to swim.

Probably a mistake in hindsight, as I seemed to have left it so long that there was no-one near enough to me to be able to follow and therefore compensate for my complete inability to sight properly.  Regardless, I got on my merry little way.

Having since reviewed things on Strava, it comes as no surprise to me that route I took around the swim course resembles a stretched out concertina, zig-zagging along.

That said, I genuinely did enjoy myself out there, despite recording a PW swim time of 1.31.  2 minutes could probably have been shaved off that time if I had chosen not to tread water 50 meters from the swim exit and take a leak – however, this is only time that I would have had to spend in a portaloo at some point, so it’s all swings and roundabouts.

Out of the water and trotted on up to T1, with an encouraging shout of “you might be good at this sport if you weren’t such a shit swimmer” from SA – cheers mate, praise indeed!

T1

Uneventful really.  Took my time, making sure to slap on the suncream and chamois butter in equally copious amount.  Done and out in 6.20.

• Options

Bike

Whereas I’ve neglected swim training this year, because it’s dull and I don’t like it, I have really enjoyed my cycling, which has ultimately meant that I’ve done lots of it.  Even on the crappy weather days, I have still put in the time and miles, courtesy of Zwift, which I still find a lot of fun.

I was hoping to make up any lost time in the swim, on the bike leg, and I managed to do so. 

The weather conditions were brill.  Sunny, warm, still – heaven.

The roads were a bit shitty in places, and I almost got taken out by potholes a couple of times, but other than that not bad.

The course profile was lovely.  Any hills were smooth rolling affairs, rather then steep ups and downs, and the coastal road, which we were taken on twice, was a time-triallers wet dream.

Passed a few pirates on the way, to reciprocated shouts of Yaar, and the support out on the course, although pretty scant was nice where it existed.

Mostly uneventful, though incredibly enjoyable, ride, up until about 3 metres before the dismount line at T2……

I tried a flying dismount, throwing my right leg over the left side of the bike, then applied the brakes ready to detach my left pedal.  However, I stupidly slammed on the front brake, rather than the back, meaning that the front wheel locked, sending the bike, and me, right over through 180 degrees.  I went arse over tit, skidded along the floor, the bike then proceeded to smack in the back of the head, just to add insult (and further injury) to injury.

Bollocks – like a twat, picked myself up off the floor and limped to T2 tent.

Bike done in 5.20.  I’ll take that.

T2

Usual faff of change of socks, application of suncream and Vaseline etc….

Checked for obvious injuries – thankfully nothing more than small cuts, grazes and bruises, and nothing that needed immediate attention.

I did quickly apply a large band aid to mend my dented pride though, after my antics at the dismount line in front of the spectating crowd :(

In and out in 4.59.

• Options

Run

Bloomin’ nora – it suddenly just got really hot!  Without the artificial breeze that comes with moving along on the bike, the lack of any actual wind at all was immediately noticeable.  This was going to be a long, hard slog.

Started out on the run and was immediately handed a bottle of water with salt and electrolytes by my darling daughter, under the strict instruction of her mother – Mrs Pudge not wanting a repeat of the post-race hospital admission that happened in Lanza last year.  

Thankfully, being a 5 lap course, I could go on to be handed a fresh bottle of salty water each lap (the relaxation of the outside assistance rule by the organisers, as Duda has already mentioned, was brilliant).

As hard as the run was, and as uninspiring a route as it was (5 mile loop with lots of switchbacks), it was made bearable by the support.  From the pirates at the event HQ doing their usual good job of shouting abuse, to those out on the course either marshalling, supporting, or dousing us with water.

Good to see, chat to and exchange high 5’s with lots of other pirates out on the course, as well as a few other familiar faces – such as TC, who I went on to learn had done Triathlon X just the day before – feck!

Finally made my way down the finishing chute, with the two Pudge Jr’s, in a time of 4.03.  Given the conditions, I was happy with that.

Over the finish line and greeted with a big hug from SA and Jordy, along with finisher’’s medal and tshirt.

Total time – 11.06

Chuffed with that, and it’s a PB so doubly chuffed, although I still have SA’s words ringing in my ears, and if indeed I was only a bit less shit at swimming, I could have done sub-11 – arse!

Special mention for the post-race food tent by the way, who served me Cumberland hotpot and sticky toffee pudding, washed down with a nice pint of stout.

I have already said that I will probably go back next year, even though I was going to focus more on running next year.  This is totally an event worth doing, made better by the pirate showing (Keswick loved the pirates!), so I hope to see lots of you there next year.

Finally, want to thank all the pirates and their families who made it such a great weekend, and who made Mrs Pudge and the Pudglets feel welcome and included.  You guys are ace  B)

• Options
    Another Lakesman Report.

I did last years and everything I mentioned in the feedback was improved which shows the event organisers listen. 

Swim
    This is my local swim venue but I still feel like a tourist every time I get in and look round. Sunday was no exception as the weather showed it off in full. I braved getting to nearer the front this year but there was no bumping and barging to speak of. I actually swam quite straight which is a miracle for me and got a PB by over 6 minutes which I was chuffed to bits with. Got out to be met by a tunnel of supporters, many of whom I knew as I am a yocal.

Bike
    On to the bike and got a bit concerned about how quick everyone else was going. Usually I get out the water and overtake lots but the opposite happened this time. By 9am it was getting hot and I don't do well in the heat so started drinking plenty. The obvious effect was I needed to pee lots. I apologise now to those following me on a few occasions but drafting isn't legal and it wasn't my bottle leaking! A bigger apology to my wife who walked my bike to the car for me! I also had a friend on the back of a Harley with a megaphone on several occasions for company. Encouragement would have been nice but I guess abuse is better than nothing. I finished the bike 1 minute quicker than last year even though the course was a mile longer.
  • Options
    On to Transition 2 where I was met by a friend who was volunteering and a mate who was waiting to run as part of a relay team. They whipped away my bike kit (sorry to them that it was pee soaked) got my run kit and she rubbed me down with sun cream. Sadly she then kicked me out the tent to go running.

Run
    As said before, the heat hit you as soon as you started to run. The first mile of the lap is in partial shade but after that there was no shade. A couple of hoses were set up which provided a short respite and a friend of mine at one of the feed stations had bought every sponge in Keswick that morning to sponge down all the athletes. I think a lot of people will be very grateful to him. There were 3 feed stations on each lap and the Tri team I am a member of and coach ran the first, my swim training partner and family were at the second and work colleagues were at the third. Add to that the Pirate support crew and other friends and family, this was definitely a home game for me. At the end of the 3rd lap I had got myself in a bit of a state with sickness and was suffering with cramp. For the first time I took a couple of salt tablets as a kill or cure and then was stopped by a couple of friends and encouraged to just focus and get on with it. By the start of the last lap I was feeling better and enjoyed the atmosphere to the finish. My time was 11:55, not a PB but in the circumstances, I'll take that happily.

The words I heard all race were, "Thank you" from competitors thanking spectators, marshals, volunteers and other competitors for help, encouragement and praise. It is an amazing sport we do where people all want others to do well. My children set up a Pirates impromptu feed station and were full of excitement about the banter and appreciation they got from Pirates and others. They now want to change their Pirate T'shirts for tri suits. Thank you to all the other Pirates for their support whether they were racing or spectating. It is what makes the day special. Looking forward to next year!
  • Options
    PudgePudge ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tricoops - your childrens' little aid station was awesome - please make sure they know how much it was appreciated!
  • Options
    I have thanks. They are already planning next years!
  • Options
    Quick write up here, will be doing the long winded version on me blog later.

Pre-race

The night before I managed to completely avoid alcohol in a massive departure from the norm, but also managed to almost completely avoid sleep as well. Soon enough the alarm went off, last minute faffing was done and down to transition to re-inflate tyres, try to help Wabby get through his panic as he couldn't get his rear tyre re-inflated, and get rubbered up and ready to rock. Lots of wetsuit hugs, from Pirates, other Facebook tri-friends and fellow racers and competitors from my tri club. Into the water, enjoy the view and get ready to go!

Swim

Water was a nice temperature, and as others have said the views were just stunning. I set off near the back and towards the far left side and went nice and steady for the entire swim. No major issues until the last few hundred metres where I got an attack of cramp in my left leg so had to stop to sort that, resulting in a Scottish fella behind me complaining that he then had no-one to follow. Also managed to sneeze which completely knackered up my goggles for the last bit of the swim. Wanted around 1:30 for the swim, did it in around 1:32 which I'm happy enough with considering I do bugger all swimming anyway. Got a shout of "Is that you, Matt?!" off a mate as I stumbled up the carpet, and Marie on the microphone recognised me and gave me a shout-out as well. Enjoyed the truly wonderful sight of Dave the Current Iron Cheerleader shaking his pom poms and ran towards T1 getting loads of support on the way, including high fives from Digger and SA.

T1

Had a full change in T1 and took my time. Also went prepared with a bottle of coke and some sausage rolls so had a mini picnic to set me up for the bike. No dramas, didn't forget anything, all good.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Bike

This is where the day was going to start getting tough. We'll just leave it at me saying I've not spent quite enough time on the bike, and we knew it was going to be a hot day. Stuck to eating every 20 minutes, usually a fig roll but the odd gel or Powerbar from a feed station. I had 3 mini pork pies, with me as well, 1 for every 30 miles covered, and a good stock of the old Vitamin I to keep any back and leg pain within reasonable levels. Overall enjoyed the bike course, although the climbs into a slight (although it felt more than slight at times) headwind was doing my head in. Nearly getting wiped out by a police pursuit involving armed officers and a car that had clearly just gone over a stinger between Whitehaven and Workington was a particular highlight.

Loved the coastal loop section, especially getting on the tri bars and enjoying the views across to Scotland. Leeky caught me as he was doing his 2nd loop and we had a quick catch-up, then it was crack on get on with it. Although a few pain issues were creeping in I was enjoying myself up to just after the end of the 2nd loop, and then I just wanted to be back in Keswick. Regaining the altitude from the coastal section was draining, showing my lack of miles on the bike and it was a case of keep on telling myself to crack on and get it done. Saw a couple of the lasses from my tri club out supporting, enjoying a beer in a quiet village, which lifted my spirits a bit. Did eventually make it back to Keswick, after a couple of run-ins with motorists. Was great seeing the Pirates as I got back to transition, and I was more than happy to be off the bike, and importantly in much better condition than I was at Outlaw 2015. This was going to happen...

T2

Another full change in T2. Was going to wear my tri club t-shirt over my monaco, but it was far too hot, so stayed in full Pirate kit. One of the lovely volunteers gave me a covering of factor 50 and then out onto the run.

• Options
    Run

As I headed out onto the course there was loads of love for the yellow and black, and plenty of support from my parents who were there to see me get this done. Did a little bit of running to start but a) it was bloody hot, and b) I've not done a lot of running either (there's a pattern here) so was soon walking. I knew I had all the time I needed to walk the entire thing if I had to, so I wasn't at all worried. Any idea of getting a time was well out the window, all I wanted to do was prove to myself that I could get this done. Digger soon caught up and we walked a bit and ran a bit together. I quite enjoyed the first couple of times along the zig-zag section, as it gave me chance to see the rest of the pirates and get loads of support and encouragement from them, and hand some out myself, as well as seeing others that I knew on the course. The feed stations were all fantastic, the support from spectators and passers-by was fantastic, and the support from other competitors was fantastic. The views of the hills were also superb. Got loads of encouragement from the legend that is TC, including a big hug off him on his last lap as he said "See you later, future Ironman" before he bounded off making it impossible to believe he had come 6th in Triathlon X the day before.

I did all of the last lap with Martin, someone I've got to know through Facebook, who was doing his first long distance which helped keep us both going. The last lap was all about thanking everyone and looking forward to that finish. Just before the finish I could see (and hear) the pirate crew preparing for my arrival which gave me a sudden burst of energy so I picked up the pace with a huge grin on my face, crouched down to get under all the outstretched arms and soaked it all up as I crossed the line. 15:35:04, far better than I could have reasonably hoped for considering the lack of training, excess of eating, and the weather on the day. Over the moon.

So huge thanks to all of you for the support, encouragement, pisstaking, banter and everything else. HUGE thanks to SA for his words of wisdom the night before and his sherpa assistance. Big thanks to the support crew, you guys are oarsum. And well done and thanks to everyone else who was racing.
  • Options
    My pleasure but it was YOU that did it

• Options
    Loving reading the reports everyone.
    Photo gallery is up on the Lakesman website.  It's worth scrolling through, there are some great shots (the one of me proudly displaying the back of my medal to the camera is a particular favourite).
  • Options
    Oh I must find that pic Nursey !  :D
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that I did indeed complete the Lakesman. I saw lots of pirate around and gave a few hearty arrrghs.  Totally loves the race and finished with my kids in 15:09

I virtually walked the last lap of the run jut to soak up the moment and say thanks to everyone at the aid stations. (nothing to do with being knackered)

I loved every minute of it. I paid a small homage to the Pirates by wearing some skull and crossbones socks which were noticed by someone on the bike ride ;) that gave me a boost.

Now it's done I'm going to get some kit as I feel I've earnt it now. 

Great to see the camaraderie on the day. Can't wait for another big day out.