Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ali, that's a great way to view it. I am also very impressed with your 14 minute walked mile - I don' t think I'd be any quicker than that at the start of a race let alone when knackered! 4:22 sounds pretty good considering how it went. On a side note I was reading the other day about salt intake and the article I read (not sure I could find it again) reckoned you can't get enough salts/electrolytes from sports drinks in a marathon, as there is too much liquid for your body to process alongside them, so it recommended taking some concentrated salts (I think it recommended gels or salts snacks). How much you need to take on is a tough subject anyway and one I don't think is well understood in general (unless you are an elite and have loads of tests done). My wife is due 2 weeks tomorrow, not long now.

Rob - good mileage from you. Your running seems like it's in a good place right now.

DadAgain - good week for you too. I quite like it when it's on the colder side for faster runs, it gives me an incentive to go faster to keep warm!
  • Options

Nick wow 2 weeks time flies!!! Hope everything goes well for you. 

Manchester date is out 8th April!!! I've looked and reserved several hotels that week.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭
    Nick- yeah I've never tried those salt tablets/gels.  Something to try for next time.  2 weeks- wow- a very exciting time coming up!  Best of luck!

Rob- good to hear you're in for Manchester- have you done it before?

Good week of running this week for me, not that I've got back to doing a lot of mileage but a few successful shorter runs and feeling stronger.  Tuesday did a run and gym visit, yesterday another short run.

Today did 5.6 miles in total built around parkrun.  The parkrun I did in 21:58 which while it is a bit away from 'fast' for me is pretty decent for two weeks post marathon and while quite tired.  So I'm happy enough with that.

Tomorrow I'll do something just a wee bit longer but not too long yet.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Rob - good thinking, I left it a bit late to book a hotel this year and it wasn't great to be honest. The tram system ran really smoothly in the morning, I think in future I would be happy being further away. Apparently even locally they didn't make it clear in advance but they ran a normal service rather than Sunday service. Are you definitely in for Manchester next year then?

Ali - glad you're back out there already, it will probably take at least 3-4 weeks to recover properly from the marathon so I wouldn't worry too much about your times. I felt my easy runs were slower for a good 4-6 weeks post-marathon this year. Might have just been warmer weather but I think there could well have been some residual fatigue there.

No running for me last week. Not really had time but might get out tonight, have plotted out a 10 mile route that looks quite nice from home so will see if that works (not 100% sure whether I can cross the motorway where Strava thinks I can so it might end up being shorter). Also my pain on the outside of my foot is still bothering me. Not enough to stop me doing anything, and it eases fairly quickly once it is warmed up, but hurts most mornings.
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Weirdest "warm up marathon" ever this weekend.

I was pacing 4:15 (6:00/km) - so expecting a comfortable long run. Ended up the entire race had a field of 25 (including 6 of us pacing!). It was multiple loops, so despite not running with anyone the whole way I did get to talk to a few people as I passed them or they passed me every now and then. Also at the same time were similarly small field events for 100km, 50 miles, 50km and 25km so there were a few people scattered around the 6.25km loop from the slowest ultra-shufflers to some pretty rapid runners.

[anyone interested in pictures do a facebook search for "Gold Coast 100" - I'm in the hiviz vest and orange visor]

Finished the race feeling just fine (not like any other marathon I've ever run!) and realized that despite the comfortable pace I had gone slightly too quick (3:15 seconds ahead of schedule) and was only a couple of minutes behind my time from Berlin 2 years ago where I bust a gut running a quick first half and denotated second half for a 4:09.

I guess I'm getting fitter? 

less than 3 weeks to go now before Gold Coast Marathon where I'm actually feeling pretty confident about having a crack at 3:30!...

• Options

Ali, it will be my 1st Manchester.  I want no messing flat as f*ck marathon to focus on time.  After missing my PB at MK by 66 secs I'm determined to get another marathon PB while I can (35 next may could start going downhill anytime).  Ali I sweat a lot in marathons and think this is why I am cramping, I need to find something but my problem is I don't believe anything works however if I find something then i'll use it as a placebo (bit like gels, I run for 3.5 miles a gel and gives me something to focus on).

Nick I leave nothing to chance, I will 100% know my movements for the Manchester weekend, Mrs R gets annoyed with me as we cant just go out and enjoy a day out, its gotta be planned to military precision.  Nick don't do too much... your other half will need you on your feet lots in the next few months/ 18 years.

DA - would love to pace a race, have considered parkrun but really fancy having a crack at pacing 2hr half marathon, love to think people will rely on you for their time.  Sounds like you had a good pacing experience too! How did you find the laps, I did a (well 3) marathon of 22 laps, the event is brilliantly organized but after a 3rd I don't think I could do it again!  Will have a look at the photos when at home, work block social media

Sticking to offroad running at the moment. Only gentle undulations 13 mile run home from work on Saturday bit warmer than I'd like.  Decided to have a rest day on Sunday as been upping the distance. 15 miles this morning pushed the pace a bit more than normal sub 8.50 pace. Will get 2 or 3 short runs in during the week and 18 miles along river lea early Saturday then out in Camden.

More free stuff, Unilite head torch, On twitter they were asking for people to review and blog about them, Elle saw the post and they sent us a couple.   

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Dadagain - sounds like you are in great shape based on your warmup marathon. Sounds a weird event with not many people and still having pacers. Did you have anyone with you?

Rob - I'm sure you will do really well st Manchester if you get a decent training block in.

So, we had our baby last week - very exciting! A lovely little girl, and amazingly she came on the actual due date (Wednesday). My wife went into labour on the Monday and we got home from hospital on Saturday, everything ok was just kept in for some precautions. Unsurprisingly didn't get any running in last week.
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    NickW2 said:
    Sounds a weird event with not many people and still having pacers. Did you have anyone with you?
    It was weird. There was nobody either 5 minutes ahead or 5 minutes behind me at the end - but I did have a few people with me for periods along the way. The marathon field was very small - but there was simultaneous 100km, 50km and 25km events on the course, so there were a few people wanting to run at around my pace even if they weren't starting & finishing with me.

I think if they keep the same course it'll probably grow in size as people get to hear about it and use it as a warm up for the main Gold Coast Marathon (which is Australia's best marathon, closely followed by Melbourne)

Congrats on your daughter Nick - thats great news. Back off the running and enjoy parenting for a while!
  • Options

Nick Congratulations and glad all is well! 

Running has been ticking over for me, 3 weeks till my 50k.  Weight I had lost has been gained again! No discipline here on that front.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Rob - have you tried carrying round a 4kg weight half the day and not sleeping for more than 2 hrs at a time? Seems to have done wonders for my weight I've lost about 5 lbs since a week or so ago. This is despite snacking a lot and eating 4 meals a day for the last 3 days.
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Gold Coast Marathon:

Damn it got hot again!!!  That race never fails to cook you in the last 10km. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and despite being only 22C the radiant heat was really oppressive. A beautiful winters day for spectating and sitting around in the sun doing nothing. Not so great for the last 12km of a marathon.

Still.... 3:28:41!!!!!   An 8 minute PB improvement I am absolutely delighted.

(Does this mean I get evicted from this thread now?)
  • Options

DA congratulations, huge PB and battled on!  Whats the target now you have the sub 3.30? Go longer/ shorter/ faster?

Nick, hope you're enjoying fatherhood!

I had an easy week last week 25 miles.  2 weeks from FVC 50km.

have entered Manchester marathon, will be entering NDW 50miler next may, holiday Turkey booked for June and back end of 2018 think i'll only enter 1mile-half mara distances for 6 months.

• Options
    more free stuff update! Mrs R won a pair of asics Kayano shoes from twitter. Just bought her some trail shoes for her b day so that should keep her fixed for a bit
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Congrats DA, that's a fantastic result even more so in the heat.

Rob - enjoying it so far, first 2 weeks went very quickly, back at work today :( She has slept ok the last 3 nights though so hoping that will continue...

I actually got out for a run at the weekend. Only did 4k though.
  • Options

Hope you're all getting some summer miles in, or getting used to shitty nappies of having well deserved breaks.

FVC 50 miler done 5.24 (11 mins faster than last year) died again towards the end, was muggy and warm.

Race report to follow!

• Options
    training has been on and off lately, some good runs and some not so good.  Also experiencing a bit of discomfort in my left knee so decided to take a few days off.  Similar to the pain I had last year, hopefully it just goes away like last time.

Went to watch the Marathon on Sunday, great day but alot of walking following the runners around a 4 lapped course, walked more than a half marathon through the day.  Monday went to watch to the stadium, only really interested in Laura Muir's 1500m which was a bit of a disappointment.

Hope life is treated everyone well! Can't wait to have a chance to race Mo Farah at a marathon one day, the last time I raced him, he didnt even finish :-) 
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭

Whats the target now you have the sub 3.30? Go longer/ shorter/ faster?

Sorry - been a bit absent lately!  My goal remains BQ (3:22) in time for Boston 2020. I wont do it in Melbourne in October and probably not in Tokyo (if I get in) in February - but I'll keep chipping away and getting closer. I have o run a BQ between Sept '18-Sept '19, so its doable, but not gonna be easy!

In the meantime this year I've run PB's at 3km and 42.2km - its time to try to fill in some of the blanks in between. I have a half marathon on sunday where I get my one shot this year to beat my 1:38:20 PB which is going to be challenging as I dont feel like I'm in A1 condition at the moment - and then a week later I have my one and only shot at a 10km race where I need to target 42:58

• Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    DadAgain said:
    ...I have a half marathon on sunday where I get my one shot this year to beat my 1:38:20 PB which is going to be challenging as I dont feel like I'm in A1 condition at the moment ...
    Soooo..... turns out I was ok. Ran a perfect race on Sunday tacking along at just quicker than PB pace for the first 15km and still feeling good. So I accelerated away and passed a bunch of people in he last 5 km to come in 4:25 quicker than previous PB with a 1:33:55!!!   Absolutely chuffed to bits about that!!!

I think that may be the first time I've ever run a negative split in a race - damn it felt good (about 2min -ve split)!

Now feeling confident that I can have a good crack at the 10km next weekend!
  • Options

DA that's a great PB for a half marathon, Negative splits are amazing, have only ever done it once and that was 2 years ago when I did my marathon PB.

Enjoy the 10k, I hate the races myself, lots of pain for too long a time.

Last week I passed a huge training milestone 62.3miles (100km!!!!) consisted Tues 15 miles, Wed 13 miles, Fri 7 miles, Sat 13 miles Sun 14 miles.  Trying to get legs used to running on tired!

This week planning 70+ miles. 

Tues 7-8 miles

Wednesday up London Elle's birthdat

Thurs 7-8 miles

Fri rest

Saturday 16-18 miles

Sunday 13-15 miles

Monday 26.2 Cakeathon lapped event

Aim to get through the cakeathon race, off road 4.5 mile laps, 8 hours to complete as many as you can/ like, just going to eat cake, run with friends at different points when I can.

As you may know I like to plan my races a good year or two ahead. Have just booked my 1st 50 miler in May 2018.  NDW 2000ft gain from point to point with total 5800ft elevation!!!!  Wish me luck on that one.  Looking forward to a Holiday in June then probably going to stick to plan of aiming for some decent times on shorter distances.  Have some fun and not have to train for 4 months a race.

• Options

successful weekend... week went to plan inc 17 miles sat, 13 miles sun and a very hilly and hot 26.4 miles on sunday at cakeathon.  Went very slow for the 1st half 2hr 54 and did the 2nd half under 2hr 30mins.  2800ft elevation and finished feeling good and recovered well, no soreness just tired legs.

5 weeks tomorrow till Atlantic Coast Challenge yikes!!!!

• Options
    FYI - Previously mentioned 10km race.... smashed out a near 2 minute PB improvement: 41:02 - AND went through half way in 19:51, a new 5km PB by 53 seconds and first time under 20!!!!

Very happy with that, now having recorded PB's this year at 3km , 5km, 10km , 21.1km and 42.2k !

Celebrated this weekend with a gentle 32km run that accelerated away from the 22km mark and finished the last 10km at HM pace - waaay quicker than Marathon pace.  

Fair to say I'm looking forward to Melbourne Marathon in 6 weeks time and wondering if 3:25 is a possible target.
  • Options

those are some impressive times DA! Brilliant stuff and a decent long run!

3.25 a defo target! don't go out silly, as you can see from your long run you have it in you to have a good finish!

No plan as such for the next 4 weeks before Atlantic Coast Challenge, just 3-4 runs between 4-10 miles a week plus a long run just to keep ticking over.

Got to concentrate on losing a few lbs, back to where I started months ago... if I can lose a bit of timber it's got to help lugging myself around 3 marathons.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Been a bit absent recently, though looks like most people on this thread have too. DA - that's some fantastic HM and 10k times. You're just going up and up at the moment. Rob - keep seeing some impressive miles from you on Strava, hope the ACC goes well.

So...when I last posted 3 months ago I'd just had a baby and got out for my first run since, which was only 4k. The next week I did a parkrun in 20:44, was very pleased with that considering the lack of recent running, but mainly I wanted to beat a couple of mates from the squash club who were doing it, which I did. My wife came along with our daughter too and sat in the sun and watched.

The next weekend I did a crappy run, the type I try to avoid, where I couldn't really decide what pace to do so went faster than easy pace but not fast enough that I was really pushing myself. Then didn't run for 2 weeks till another parkrun, 20:32, again fairly happy. Main reason I did it was because it was a nice day and my wife quite liked getting out to the park in the good weather. Then 3 more weeks no running at all, then we had a week's holiday which was great, nice and relaxing and good family time, got out for 3 easy runs that week did 20k altogether.

Then no running for 2-3 weeks, but then managed to get along to my club's track night which I really enjoyed last year. By this point my daughter had started generally going to sleep before I got in from work and only waking up once in the night, if at all, so it was getting a bit easier to get a proper amount of sleep and do stuff in the evening - I had played squash a couple of times before this. Anyway really enjoyed track night, highlights were the mile (5:39 - 10s quicker than last year) and 100m which I just won in 13.7s, also was quite pleased with a 65.6s 400m especially as I didn't feel completely recovered from previous events.

This sparked my interest in running again, my legs were in bits for a few days afterwards but then I was on holiday the next week again, similar to before got out for 3 easy runs, 8k each time, and managed a couple more the week after (which was last week), before entering my local 10k yesterday (it's literally 10-15 min walk from my front door). It starts and finishes in a field but is otherwise a road run, so given the wet conditions this wasn't ideal. But somehow I did it in 42:28, a PB of nearly 2 mins (though it's only my 3rd 10k) and an improvement of over 3 mins on last year's time in the same race (when it wasn't wet).

So that all bodes well, I am seeing how it goes in terms of running/squash/family time balance but have a rough idea of trying to get out running 3 times a week, squash once a week, which along with cycling 7.5 miles each day to the train station and back keeps me in decent shape. I have Milton Keynes marathon as a rough long term goal but will have to see whether I manage to get the long runs in after xmas, if I don't then there isn't much point entering. In the shorter term will try to get 2 easy + 1 hard run each week and see how we go. If I feel up to it might do 2 hard runs.
  • Options
    Nick glad to see you managed to get out a few times with fatherhood.  My sister made me an uncle in August, it seems pretty hectic round theirs.

I liked MK, really well organised but if you looking for crowds there are next to nothing on course but I don't mind that so I really enjoyed the marathon, felt it was pretty flat throughout, 1st few miles are boring dual carriageway, after that pleasant scenery parks n stuff....  only incline is at mile 23 which is onlyto climb up and over a flyover but nothing really to worry about, the stadium finish is a nice touch, a great meeting point too for the start and finish (esp if weather crap).

All packed and ready for cornwall, starting to feel the nerves as it's brand new, navigation (most of it is keep sea to the right land to the left), terrain - there are stairs and boulders to negotiate lots of inclines and difficult downs too.  Then waking up after day 1 to run a mararthon then day 3 have to run 30 hard miles.

Not heard from VLM ballot yet but will guess a no, but running manchester and NDW50 miler in may instead
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds epic Rob - good luck! Look forward to hearing all about it. I haven't heard from VLM either yet.
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to see who was still here and what you are all up to. My running has been so on and off this year. My work schedule is making any kind of consistency impossible so some weeks I get one run in during the week and some none. Weekends not much better as plenty going on with the 3 kids that need me not to be 'selfish' and go out both days. So am resigned to just trying to tick over until the end of the year. I did run a local 10k trail race a few weeks back and finished in a decent time so that gives some hope that I can get my running mojo back if only I could get 2-3 runs a week in to build back that base. And of course there is those extra lbs that I am now carrying which do not make it any easier. I have not entered anything for next Spring yet. forgot about the VLM ballot but after about 7 straight rejections it would have been another No anyway. 

Good to see some regulars on here and one or two new faces too. 

DA - some fantastic running from you. And in the heat too. I can feel the dedication and am sure the goals you have set are within your grasp.

Rob - some great running from you too and interested to hear about the adventures in Cornwall.

Nick - sounds like congrats are in order for the little one. Hopefully everything has settled down by now. 

Will try and pop on here more often as this might gibe me the motivation to get back out there and get some more miles in. I can remember knocking 50+ miles out per week. Now I would be happy with 20 + miles !!

• Options

Hi Carl, good to hear you still managing to tick over, bet it seems a while since you did the 2015 miles in 2015!!! Glad to hear you not being selfish... something I am guilty of, day after cornwall I was telling Mrs R how I planned to do Great Eastern Half next year but it could clash with a race she wants to do.... may have to let her have that one.

Okay so another rejection 8th for me, but on for Manchester

Atlantic coast challenge complete - the blog (very long below)

http://robsrunningatoz.blogspot.com/2017/10/atlantic-coast-challenge-long-haul.html

main points

day 1, 4000ft elevation, stunning weather 5hr02

day 2 another 4000ft elevation, weather awful, still stunning 5hr20

day 3, can f*ck off, it was hell!!!!!! I am a runner not rock climber! 8hr48

Brilliant fun, brilliant challenge, stunning views, organization was great and recommend 100%

• Options

next up stort 30, flat along the river in a couple of weeks

also booked Cambridge half next march

• Options
    Bingo!!!!

Nailed the race in Melbourne yesterday. All the stats say it out loud:

2 min negative split
    Every one of the 42 kms between 4:30 and 4:48, average 4:41
    10 minute PB
    20 minute improvement in 12 months
    BQ by almost 7 minutes

3:18:05.... loved every minute.

Thats Couch2BQ in almost exactly 4 years. I'm feeling really very proud of myself right now.

Now.... what to do in 2018?!