Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    LMH - Yeah found this while having a look around today and tbh I display around 75% of the symptons... so think I'm going to go the doctors for once in my life and get it tested just incase!

https://runnersconnect.net/iron-deficiency-in-runners/
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    TT - good to hear you're getting the IBS under control. Nice reps/tempo there too!

Pug
    - lots of good advice from others, I have nothing else to add! My legs feel fine these days, but that's because I'm not running enough.

PM2 - welcome! I'm hoping to get in a similar shape for VLM so hope to see you there.

TR - good to see you getting some decent miles in.

Not much to report from me. Mrs Padams had to work all week this week, so I've been looking after mini-Padams for the last few days and therefore not done much running. Did a couple of 6/7M runs pushing the buggy. And yesterday I did a reasonably long (and very hilly) walk with him in the backpack - that was fairly hard work and hopefully good training, if not entirely running specific.

First XC race of the season on Sunday. Not sure what to expect, but it's the lower standard one, and one of my favourite courses, so I hope to be fairly near the front.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Pug - you need to treat your body with a bit more respect or you'll break. I agree with Wardi/LMH on the iron front.

Welcome PM2.

Good luck for Sunday Padams. I considered doing whatever xc I can make but think I'll be better off having a winter getting in low-key workouts and consistent mileage.

Which race CW?

Has anybody entered Berlin for next year?

Not much to report here. Hoping for around the same mileage as last week, maybe a touch more. Low volume workouts focusing around 5km/10km pace. Being wheat free is definitely helping, but legs have still not fully come back to me yet (anaemia).

• Options
    TT - Yep I've entered as a Fast runner.
    Looking like a good training week for me. 60m so far, generally 8-9m pre-breakfast and 6-7m pre rum and coke time both finished off with a swim in the sea (water temp 24C/ air temp 30C). No great speed but reasonable plodding.  

• Options
    Wardi - last day today, and then unlimited freedom.. Congratulations, hope you're given an appropriate send off.

Good luck Sunday Padams. Looking forward to XC kicking off again, always slightly brutal though.

OO - Very, very jealous of your little training jaunt. 

I had quite an encouraging tempo run yesterday morning. 9 miles with 5 miles @ 5.55mm, although it was a pretty hard effort. Two weeks ago I gave the same effort for 2 x 3 miles with a 2 minute recovery and could only manage 6.05mm, so things are moving in the right direction. 

Good luck anyone else racing this weekend. 
  • Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hey here's something I'd be interested in. If people are ok with this can they please post their BMI (and yes I know it's not appropriate to anyone with high muscle weight but just for my own interest really). Was reading a lot around the top marathon runners etc and their BMI's are either low 20's and some in the 19's.

Post your BMI say when you ran your fastest marathon and TIME... I'd be interested to see how these aline for all of us? If you need the BMI calculator it is here.

Pugheaven (BMI = 23.1 Marathon Time = 2:49:28)

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Nice one OO!

That's good progress Joe!

Wardi - enjoy your last working day!

Pug - 19.7/2:27:48. Conveniently I stood on the scales for the first time in a while this morning, so I'm currently 20.4. A generalism, but the Ethiopians tend to be a little more muscled, and in the 20-21 range, whereas the Kenyans tend to be 19, or lower - a large number of them reputedly come in under the recommended minimum of 18.5.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Pug - 21.3(ish) and 2:27:46 for me. Depends when you measure weight though - mine can vary as much as 7lbs in a 24 hour period if I've done a long run or similar.

There's a website which estimates your power output for a given running pace/weight and I get a very high score on that. I doubt it's accurate though as clearly it doesn't take into account efficiency, which I must do fairly well at.

Edit: here it is. 364W for me if no elevation gain. 364W for nearly 2.5 hours is unlikely.

OO - very nice mileage, is that 60M in 4 days then?

JoeB - that's promising and don't underestimate how hard it is to run at tempo or MP in training.

Very weird yesterday - halfway through the afternoon (just sitting at my desk at work) I started getting a pain behind my shoulder blade which got gradually worse by the evening to the point where any movement and breathing was painful. Took some ibuprofen when I got home and it eased off a bit. It was painful at time during the night, but quite a bit better this morning and nearly gone now. I just did 6M and it wasn't a problem. Very odd.
  • Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Cheers guys, it's going to be interesting to see where it puts us all. And agreed I noticed same thing when I was looking at the top Kenyans and Etheopians... either way though I can say to get your best times I do believe you need to be < 21.5 maximum otherwise it's like running with bags of potatos on ya back... just wasted energy.

I can believe that < 18.5 though seriously. When I was warming up in Amsterdam... my god... the fellas who were running 2:09's... seriously their frames are tiny... absolutely zero fat on them at all... I looked like a friggin giant... infact they had fear in their eyes when I was near them... possibly thought I was going to eat them rofl

TBH, my time isn't good anyway as was going for 2.43 that day and went through perfectly half way in 1:21:30 feeling easy... however from 14 -20 mile had the worst stomach cramps every (due to gels AND energy drinks I'd never done before lol)... and I lost a minute per mile for 6 miles :-( However it is what it is. 

It'll be good to get a list of us all on here just to see if there's any exceptions to the rules... and I'll put the times in fastest first... you can bet your bottom dollar it'll follow a pattern here... hahaha

Interesting Article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3934974/

Quote "For the 10,000 m and marathon, like the best performers, the greatest numbers of points (red density) are centered on an optimum interval between 19–20 kg.m−2."

Quote "Moreover, a major part of the 10,000 m and marathon athletes are also centered around an optimum interval (19–20 kg/m2). This evidence could indicate that there may be an optimal structure of body suited to marathon and other long distance races "

Reckon we'll find that in the below once the list gets bigger and we see BMI v's Times. I doubt we'll see many people with times faster than 2:40 with BMI over 22kg/m2...

Top 10 Men For 2005 (Average BMI 19.9 kg/m2)

1) Jaoud Gharib (MOROCCO) 5'9.25"/146 lbs (21.5 kg/m2)
    2) Martin Lel (Kenya) 5'7.25" /119 lbs (18.5 kg/m2)
    3) Haile Gebrselassie (Ethiopia) 5'4.5" / 117 lbs (19.8 kg/m2)
    4) Jimmy Muindi (Kenya) 5'7.25" / 137 lbs (21.4 kg/m2)
    5) Felix Limo (Kenya) 5'8.5" / 128 lbs (19.2 kg/m2)
    6) Philip Manyim (Kenya) 5'8.75" / 141 lbs (21.0 kg/m2)
    7) Jackson Koech (Kenya) 5'8" / 121 lbs (18.4 kg/m2)
    8) Hendrick Ramaala (South Africa) 5'6" / 132 lbs (21.4 kg/m2)
    9) Paul Tergat (Kenya) 6'0" / 134 lbs (18.2 kg/m2)
    10) Christopher Isegwe (Tanzania) 5'6" / 123 lbs (19.9 kg/m2)

Top 10 Women for 2005 (Average BMI 18.0 kg/m2)

1) Paula Radcliffe (Great Britian) 5'8" / 119 lbs (18.1 kg/m2)
    2) Catherine Ndereba (Kenya) 5'3" / 99 lbs (17.6 kg/m2)
    3) Jelena Prokopcuka (Latvia) 5'6" / 112 lbs (18.1 kg/m2)
    4) Constantina Tomescu (Romania) 5'5" / 106 lbs (17.7 kg/m2)
    5) Deena Kastor (United States) 5'4.25" / 106 lbs (18.1 kg/m2)
    6) Mizuki Noguchi (Japan) 4'11" / 90 lbs (18.2 kg/m2)
    7) Susan Chepkemei (Kenya) 5'4.5" / 106 lbs (18.0 kg/m2)
    8) Derartu Tulu (Ethiopia) 5'1" / 99 lbs (18.7 kg/m2)
    9) Chunxiu Zhou (China) 5'4.25" / 97 lbs (16.6 kg/m2)
    10) Yumiko Hara (Japan) 5'4.5" / 108 lbs (18.3 kg/m2)

Sub3 Forum

1) Padams (BMI = 21.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:27:46
    2) TT (BMI = 21.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:27:461)
    3) CharlieW (BMI = 19.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:38:30)
    4) Pug (BMI = 19.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:38:30)

• Options
    TT -- I'm doing the Fenland 10 up near King's Lynn, quite low key though it is the county champs FWIW.

Pug -- BMI=19.3 kg/m2 for my PB of 2:38:30 a year ago. Like most people I guess I tend to get progressively lighter in marathon training, but quickly put it back on afterwards. It's 19.8 today!
  • Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    21 for me at 5'7 (and a half) and 61kg. Marathon pb of 2.40

I recon I could go lower but i need to keep some upper body stregth for my job so do circuits 3 times a week. 
  • Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    1) Padams (BMI = 21.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:27:46)
    2) TT (BMI = 19.7kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:27:48)
    4) Philip Melling 2 (BMI = 21.0kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:40:00)
    5) Pug (BMI = 23.1kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:49:28)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mine would be higher than pugs.

You  need to be small and light to be a gun marathon runner, which is not you pug, so like me you are in the wrong game as the amount of calories and oxygen it takes a big unit means we are towing an anchor. But that's the challenge of it.

Jools - decent time that, the wind will have cost you loads of time.
  • Options
    Padams - Yes over 4 days. Should be my record mileage week. But really should be focusing on speed and intensity but far too hot for that and just enjoying running as exploring.
    Nice session Joe - sub 240 Valencia? Dont overdo it now you've raced a lot recently.  
    Pug BMI 5'11/ 10 st 6/ 2.48.56 at Munich 3 weeks agi. 
  • Options
    Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

4) Philip Melling 2 (BMI = 21.0kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:40:00)
    5) Joe Blogs (BMI = 22.2kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:42:24)
    6) OuchOuch (BMI = 20.4kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:48:56)
    7) Pug (BMI = 23.1kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:49:28)
    8)
    9)
    10)

• Options
    OO - definitely not sub 2.40! That's 6.05mm and I could barely do 5 miles @ 5.55mm yesterday. I'd be happy with anything under 2.45 given my current fitness levels.

Pug - 22.2, 2:42:24.

Hope all is ok Padams. 
  • Options
    Weird Padams - glad it seems to have resolved itself.

Hope your last day as a wage slave has gone quickly and that you have a good celebration of your new found freedom Wardi.

I'm slightly shorter and slightly lighter than Paula - but not as fast. LOL.

Don't underestimate the power of the taper Joe.

I'm jealous OuchOuch.

What are you hoping for in your race Charlie?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    JoeB - I don't think I could do 5M at 10s/mile under MP in training, so I wouldn't rule out sub-2:40. To be honest I struggle to do 5M at MP!

Pug - the quoted heights and weights of the elite guys are always quite unreliable. I highly doubt that any of the men in that top 10 list you posted had a BMI above 21.

TR - I'm definitely not a marathon runner by your definition then! I think there must be a sport out there that I'm perfectly built for, but I've yet to find it. I'm probably more suited to triathlons in terms of build, but they still tend to not be as tall as me. Rowing was probably better, but I wasn't quite powerful enough. Maybe I would have been good at long distance rowing, but there isn't really such a sport as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Umm, I don't own working scales.  According to OH's scales I'm about 45-46kg ATM and 1.57m tall so c 18.5.  PB of 2.49, but whether I was 46kg at the time I've no idea!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Possibly a stitch/spasm of some description Padams?

Good session on the way home to make 2 good ones this week.
    Wednesday was 10m with a continuous 6 x {0.5m fast, 0.5m steady} - averaged 5:18/6:19. The fast average being roughly about current 5km I suppose (some quicker, some slower).
    Today was 5 x {400m, 200m}, with 200m recoveries. Figured I'd try for theoretical 3km pace (5:07), but ended up averaging 4:45 pace overall - 71.6 for the 400s, 34.8 for the 200s. 

Given both sessions were on road, rather than track, I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    LMH -- it's going to be a windy one, so I don't really care about time. Would be a bit of a shame if it is over 60 mins though I suppose -- but I'll treat it as a tactical race for position. I still feel like I have a subsurface lurgy (sandbag alert), so I'm not expecting magic.

Pug -- it might have been better to ask for our best WAVA% as a function of BMI, to normalise for gender and age... mine's 84.15% twice this year, still at around 19.3 kg/m2. Tends to go through a dip until carbo loading of course!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - reckon you've got a similar frame to Francois D'haene, who beat Kilian Jornet at UTMB this year, and is probably the best ultra distance trail runner on the planet (6'4" and 75kg).  He's an absolute beast; reckon that could be the discipline for you.

Jools - your stats remind me of Rosa Mota (5'2" and 45kg). She did alright in the marathon, but wouldn't cope well into a strong breeze.

No idea on BMI or anything like that.  Next to my mates I'm the thinnest person in the room, but around runners pretty normal I guess.  Trying to bulk up a bit though; started a press-up challenge on new years day. Add one more press-up each day, every day.  Today is day 301 of the year, and I've now done over 45,000.  Really ramping up these days, and still more than 20,000 to go though in November and December together.  Christmas will be a fun week!
    (*had my only day off in August when doing the TDS race.  A finish time of 23:59 didn't leave much time, but had done a couple of hundred extra over the previous week in anticipation!).
  • Options
    I don't know where you find the time Dan! Your running in to the wind comment is so true, I'm 169cm and was 48.5kg this morning and was trying to shelter my running mentee as we finished his first ever 20 mile run into a bit of a headwind - not sure I did much good but the thought was there.

Hope it goes well Charlie.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup, I fare really poorly in a headwind...
  • Options
    Pug: PB 3:02:19 with a BMI of 20.5-22 (6'2" & 72-78kg) Don't have exact data for 2016 when I set my PB but it was 22.1  day before marathon 2015 (3:09) & 20.5 a month before VLM 2017
  • Options
    Pug: 19.3 for 2:35, or 85% by CW's measure, which was for a 2:38 as I was older.  That's based on a rough start line weight.  It'll be well under 19 by the finish line, and not because I've got taller...
  • Options
    1h30 steady MLR before breakfast. Went well although I'm wilting now having been walking around Brick Live all day.
    What are people thoughts on recovery runs/easy days? At the moment I'm doing about 50-55 miles a week with 4 run days, a long run (18-20), MLR (13-15) a marathon/half marathon paced run and another.  On the non run days I am doing 45 min - 1 hour cycling. Is there any benefit to adding extra easy run mileage (3-4 mile runs)  on these cycling days? 
  • Options
    3) Cheerful Dave (BMI = 19.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:35:00)
    4) CharlieW (BMI = 19.3kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:38:30)
    5) Philip Melling 2 (BMI = 21.0kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:40:00)
    6) Joe Blogs (BMI = 22.2kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:42:24)
    7) OuchOuch (BMI = 20.4kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:48:56)
    8) Joolska (BMI = 18.5kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:49:00)
    9) Pug (BMI = 23.1kg/m2, Marathon Time = 2:49:28)
    10) Jooligan (BMI = 21.7kg/m2, Marathon Time = 3:02:19)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pm2 - depends what your aim is. If it's to run the strongest marathon possible, then more miles more often, so you could run easy for those 3 45min to 1hr slots as a starting  point. If your aim is to do what pleases you most, then do that.

Another 12m long run today, 3 or 4 Sunday's in a row now and I should hit around 170 for the month, which is a lot better than totals of zero this time last year.
    The cricket training/travelling  starts in a week's time 3or 4 days a week, which is when the  running might suffer again.