Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Superb sequential performances Debra.  Well done.  take care with that cold though.
  • Options
    10-in-10 completed! Ran a 50K on the last day (today).
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Debra.   Very impressive given the time of year.  You look a bit weighed down with all the bling!  Recover well. 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Most impressive Debra.  That's quite some weight of bling you have there and a great performance to run all of these marathons (plus the last day ultra) with such consistency.
  • Options
    Very impressive indeed Debra.  You'll soon need a dedicated room in the house for all your medals!
  • Options
    Great achievement Debra. Impressive collection of bling!
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. Thankfully it wasn't necessary to carry the previous medals each day during the run... I'm going to do it all again next year but aiming for 50K per day - it's all going to be on the trail courses: Samphire Hoe, Pegwell Bay and Betteshanger (okay, about 2/5 sea wall at Samphire Hoe and some tarmac at Pegwell Bay) so should be great! Meanwhile there's the Viking 100 to prepare for in March.

Terry: my husband is afraid the wardrobe doors will come off (that's where I hang them)!

How's everyone's running going?

And how do I know if my Betteshanger marathon has been accepted as a qualifying race for Comrades? I put it in and it comes up when I check my details, but I really, really don't want to get to May and find I've not actually qualified.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Did you not use an SVN one last year Debra?  I would have thought it would be OK.  I've not done one at Samphire but Pegwell Bay is a great lap and the Betteshanger one is preferable to the cycle track.

I'm still stiff from piriformis trouble but it's not as bad as it was and I was able to waddle around my 100th half marathon on Sunday.  So I've now run 100 marathons and 100 half marathons.
  • Options
    100 full and 100 halves! Wow! I've reached a mere 35 marathons and ultras - and less than 10 halves, I think. Are you getting physio for the piriformis? I had real problems with mine before my first marathon (Manchester in 2012) and physio really helped. Also stretches and the use of a tennis ball and even a golf ball.
  • Options
    And if anyone is stuck for running gift ideas I can recommend a KitBrix bag (https://kitbrix.com/collections/run-collection/products/kitbrix-run) - I got one for doing the 10-in-10 (my husband kindly bought it for me for my birthday) and it really helped me not lose stuff all the time - and swallowed a lot of gear for its size.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I saw a physio last week. I couldn't get time to go before that and this week is the same but I have another appointment booked for Monday.  This time last week I couldn't run for more than a couple of steps so things are definitely improving.  I've got a hockey ball.
  • Options
    Top work Debra. Great achievement so rest up well for a good start to the training in the new year.

Sorry to hear your still having trouble Becca. Are you still planning on Malaga this weekend?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I will go to Malaga but doubt I’ll be running. 
  • Options
    Just back from Malaga. Lovely city to run a marathon and would recommend if you want some sun in December next year. Hope you had a good time Becca.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Didn't do the marathon in the end, went sightseeing in Ronda and had a lovely time.  Seemed like good marathon running weather so I hope it went well marty.  I think I will go back next year to see if it's third time lucky.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I miss this race every year

Hey Slow Duck, hope you are well

G
  • Options
    Returned to Samphire Hoe and ran a 50K PB on Sunday: 4:57:34 - my first sub-5 for 50K. Intending to run another Challenge at Betteshanger on New Year's Eve.

What's everyone else doing? Any good training runs or races to report?
  • Options
    Wow! Great run there Debra. You're clearly already in great shape for the 'Big C'.

In my case, things are not going too well.  After recent referral to Papworth for an echocardiogram, I got the report back last week. "Severe" Aortic valve regurgitation and "severe" left atrium dilation.  I had hoped the report would say "mild" for those.  :/  So, I've slacked off on training while I await the cardiologist appointment for which I've been referred.  Maybe this explains why getting fit has become much harder over the past year or two (excuses, excuses!).  In the meantime, I am trying to maintain reasonable but slow mileage, which the sonographer said should be ok. I've not yet given up on Comrades 2018, depending on cardiologist's advice, when I get it.

All; On a more cheery note, best wishes for a happy Christmas, prosperous New Year and injury free running in 2018!
  • Options
    Hi Gobi - I'm still plodding along...
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Due to my usual amount of organisation, by the time I'd managed to convince myself that doing the 2018 race was a good idea, all the entries had been used up - at which point I realised that yes, actually I did want to put myself through it again, and what an idiot I'd been for not entering sooner!
    Had reconciled myself to the idea it wasn't going to happen, but then got an email this week "Special once off 2018 Entry Dispensation"

Dear Runner,
    We note that you are supposed to be going for your milestone finish (Back to Back medal, Green Number, Double Green Number, Triple Green Number or 25th Run) in the 2018 Comrades Marathon. Would you like to run? As part of our Runners First Initiative, the Comrades Marathon Association is giving you a Special once off Dispensation to enter and run the Comrades Marathon in 2018. This offer is only for you and is non-transferable(i.e. may NOT be substituted). No one else but you can benefit from this Special Dispensation. The entry period will be from 10 January until 31 January 2018. We will notify you of the entry process when our offices open on 9 January 2018.

Does anyone know if this is normal? Is it legit? I thought the 2018 race was heavily over-subscribed, is this just a goodness of the heart thing or is there a need to be more money in?
  • Options
    Hi Andy, I hope you are well.  If that came from the comrades email address it sounds legit.  I've never heard of anything similar before but then they have never sold out in 3 weeks before either.  I hope it works for you - look forward to seeing you there!  Might be interesting if we knew whether this is going to all 'back to back' candidates or just the high fee foreigners!  If to all, that could add thousands to the already increased 21,500 limit.  From the narrower down run start that sounds messy / risky to me!  I already thought that 20,000 was too high for that start.  (It works fine for the more open Durban up run).
  • Options
    Morning..

after a long break I started running again yesterday as training has begun.. parkrun yesterday and a cold 7 miler this morning...start fo the journey for June

Hope you all had a good christmas
  • Options

Terry, sympathies re. the echo results. Here's hoping for your continued Comrades journey.

Hi seren nos, I was at a parkrun yesterday but was RD, so didn't run. 7 miles this morning, like you.

More than 2,300 miles this year, which is my first year over the 2,000 mark. One final SVN event booked for Sunday. Feeling good and hoping not to get injured again!

How is everyone else doing? 

• Options
    Hi
    Hope everyone's having a great Christmas

Terry - sorry to hear about egg results. Hope the cardiologist can give you some good news.

AndyLid - can you send comrades an email at a different address and ask them if it was a real email or spam?

Seren - well done on getting going again.
    I had a really filthy 12 miler yesterday. I don't actuallly mind rain but it was icy wind and sleet and I was getting cold at the end :D

Debra - You're flying. Well done on all those medals too. Fabulous collection and great distance for 2017

So how's everyone doing? Running wise and ailments (hopefully not too many of those)
    It's been very quiet.

My running's a bit unstructured. Think I'm going to sit down in the next few days and make a proper plan, even if it's just copying this years. But I really am going to try and do a bit more core and quad work!!
  • Options

HI All, a long time since I posted (last was in the 2017 Comrades forum).  This years race was the first one I didn't finished but what I thought was back pain turned out to be a stress fracture in my hip.  I got to the top of little pollys and had to stop there (still had 3 hours time left as well).  I was in hospital for 3 days and the recovery has been a long and slow one, but I kept fit through cycling and swimming.

Was 5 months before I could run, and I qualified at Portsmouth in December.  A lot slower than usual, but was just glad to get the run out of the way.  I can now focus on building up for 2018s race ... which I have entered and will be my second attempt at number 9.

Sounds like lots of good training and racing going on.  Looking forward to catching up with some of you in Durban.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Wretched luck to get a stress fracture and so close to the finish, Peter. Well done on qualifying and I hope you have better luck next year (or does the year start and end with Comrades, so we are already on to next year?)
  • Options
    Peter, sympathies for the stress fracture. Very glad to hear you are back up and running again, and well done at Portsmouth. Good luck for the next five months of training - and for Comrades itself, of course! (N.B. I stress fractured my pelvis April 2016 and successfully completed Comrades with no problems in 2017 - no reason you shouldn't be fine for the 2018 race).
  • Options
    Peter - sorry to hear about your Comrades this year.

Here's to a successful 2018 run.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone.

Sorry to hear your news Terry - best wishes for a positive outcome

My trials and tribulations with my hip pain continue.  I can't either seem to shake it or find out what the cause is.   I'm now only training on the bike. Particularly yesterday after I slipped and hurt a joint on my foot.  I have booked the Vaal Marathon in early March for a qualifier, but not sure I could even do a 5K at this stage.

I am very pleased to hear others are doing well.  Particularly good to see Debra going so well after a tough 2017.

AndyLid - Comrade does take care of it's own and so I believe the email you received to be genuine
  • Options
    Happy New Year to all

Bike It - sorry to hear about your ongoing hip pain. Very frustrating. Wish I could wave a magic wand for you.

I've just been looking at the training plans. The hill pace looks very fast to me. I'd be hard pushed to do those paces on the flat, never mind going uphill.  :(