Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    AWC/Spoons - Also reading that book at the moment. It's a really good read, but yeah sad to think that he used to be a hero for his running then was basically exiled and treated awfully!
    Spoons - Great long run!!
    Tom - Awesome early start!!
  • Options
    Sounds like the insane earlybird intra-thread competition is hotting up: Steve confidently posts a 4:20am start but is trumped again by Tom's 3:58am start. :D
    Come & do my 10K in July FBT - only £7, though the driving time & cost would probably rule it out. 
    Are you likely to collect any worthwhile prizes in either race to offset the costs John? Reg had a very good point regarding time of day given the climate in Oz.
    I like an MLR more than a LR: less of a slog. I always do them in the evenings though. Not done an LT session yet but enjoyed doing them on the treadmill at 2% incline last year - nowhere to hide & I knew I was getting the pace right.Tried a faster run home from work yesterday but only managed 7:30s. Feeling very tired this week
  • Options
    Good running guys, although cold and windy here at least it wasn't icy as I hate running with dodgy footing.
    Interesting session today with 2 mile warm up then 2 x 2 miles tempo with 2 mins recovery straight into a long run. Although I didn't hit the pace in the tempo stuff (gravel tracks and very windy ?) the effort was right. Finished up with 21 miles just under 2h10. Oddly the Daniels plan doesn't have a MLR just the 2 quality sessions of long run with MP or tempo stuff in it and then the interval/tempo session. 
  • Options
    £7 is a bargain Jools - hope that comes with chip timing, mdeal, t shirt and a goodie bag ;)
    Im setting my alarm for 3:30 am tomorrow, for a 3:45am run!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Belated congratulations on the PB Millsy-missed that in my last post-Very impressive off the back of an injury!

John-I would suggest the road HM as it is a third of the cost and more specific to marathon training. I've never done a trail race though so a rather biased opinion.

Very nice and very early cold MLRs Steve and AWC

Well done for even attempting a session in icy conditions SQ-I always bottle it and just tread very carefully.

Excellent Long runs Spoons (again not pleasant on the ice and Phil.

Sounds like you are taking the comeback nice and sensibly Reg!

How's the new job going HA? I hope the induction process included mapping out time during the day for training!

Hope those who are benched for various reasons are seeing signs of improvements.

I'd be more surprised if you were not tired Jools with the amount of racing you do.

I got the Zatopek book for Christmas but haven't got round to starting it yet. I keep meaning to read when I go to bed but strangely I tend to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow!

So So tired right now.....really need a very early night tonight after the 3:58am start this morning. I must have been half asleep during the first few miles of my run as I looked at my watch to see that I had run 6 miles when I thought it had been 5. By about 11 miles I was struggling a bit- especially into the wind-and it felt like very hard work so was pleased to get home after 16 miles @ 6:35 m/m avg for coffee and porridge.

I have often thought that a race at 4am would be ideal for me-as long as it wasn't a marathon!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody had experience in running in shoes meant for the opposite sex? Is there any difference in relation to size or are they exactly the same but just in different colours. The reason I'm asking is because there are some women's Bostons available online in my size for about half the price of the men's and the colour (sky blue) doesn't put me off so will buy them if I can be sure that they will fit.
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tom,
    I looked at possibilty of womens running shoes as always cheaper and apart from the nasty pink colours, it appeared they were designed for lighter runners with different biometrics such as pronation ... but more likely is they can charge more for mens running shoes!
    basically womens running shoes have
    greater pronation control as wider hips
    less dense cushioning as generally ligher
    designed for narrower heels
    less angled heels as men strike the ground differnt....
  • Options
    I looked at the possibility of womens high heels as well, and found they were perfect for the weekend and evenings out!! But a bugger to do the garden in.
  • Options
    Heh FBT. Maybe you should try for that marathon record in heels. You should see the trail shoes I bought recently, the pink on them is so offensive. 

Tom - I'm pretty sure Joe has a pair of ladies Bostons and wore them at London at the least. I recommend them on my lady feet, but can't answer for the rest of it. I have a feeling you weigh about the same if not less than me though.. 

I have booked in for a very expensive but very qualified physio next week. Fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    FBT: brilliant bit of the story that. Sums him up to a tee  :)

Whilst he didn't do any long run specific training one of his typical daily sessions of 10x200m [100m rec] total and 50x400m [150m rec] total gave him a volume of over 30k per day so he was getting plenty of mileage in :o
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmmmm I was thinking about going for it until you posted that list FBT (enjoy the 3:45 run in high heels by the way  ;) ) but Joe wearing a pair of ladies Boston's at VLM does ring a bell-thanks JCG and all the best with the very expensive physio!
    Might buy them, give them a try and then send them back if necessary providing that is possible.
  • Options
    I've just ordered 2 pairs of pink bostons from mandm direct.  I buy half a size bigger in ladies so got 44 rather than 43. £65 posted for 2 pairs.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Phil-absoloute bargain! Unfortunately they don't have them in a bigger size for me (10.5) so dont have that option. 
  • Options
    Maybe we should change the name of this thread to Transvestite Running?
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    I recently found the ladies version of my normal trainers at half price but when I researched it apparently ladies have different feet to men on average and so the shoes are different. It does sound a bit like a marketing con though.

3:58 Tom? I don’t think anyone’s gonna beat that.

I need to work on my alarm to running transition. This morning it took 45 minutes ?. Maybe sleeping in my running gear would help? 10 miles with strides avoiding the rain again. My legs just aren’t capable of sprinting at the moment but managed to get below 5k pace.
  • Options
    Hope that ankle's sorting itself our Reg.
    3:58am...  is there really a need Tom?   At your pace, you're probably back by 5.30 with 20 miles under your belt!
    I've also bought into the idea that women's running shoes are different.  To be honest, I'm not sure there's a great marketing gain for the manufactures to invent a difference. They've plenty of other tricks but on this one, I'd have thought that from their viewpoint, they'd be better reducing the number of variants that they need to manufacture.  But having said that, they're going to be fine for some people... so if you've tried them with no problems, then go for it.  But I'm not likely to risk it.
    Good luck with the physio JCG.
    9.5 last night to kick off my 15wk campaign and 4 today.  All fairly slow... with surprisingly high heart rates.   Got a couple of good strength sessions in this week also... so not a bad start.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I guess if you have a small light build and are looking at racing flats, there should be a good fit in ladies shoes. Having said that the injury risk is higher for the faster stuff so have to balance that against cost saved. Increasingly I look at it as shoes are my only big cost of running (after entering races) and even then it’s small compared to cycling or even pool swimming, so I just get the ones I know work for me. 

Thanks for the opinions on this weekend. I’m more likely to win something in the trail race as they are pretty generous (if I’d been 4 years younger I’d have won a new Suunto Ambit3 last time) but VLM is the big goal so I’ll do the road HM. 
  • Options
    Jooligan said:
    Sounds like the insane earlybird intra-thread competition is hotting up: Steve confidently posts a 4:20am start but is trumped again by Tom's 3:58am start. :D 
    :D:D
    JCG hope the physio goes well.

Nice start to the campaign, NE. Hope it builds well from here. 

JohnOz, I wonder what that says about the demographics of running - you being younger would have resulted in a brilliant prize.

13MLR this morning, for what will be my longest run of the week. A beuatiful sky with the stars out in force, but bloody windy. Thankfully, it was ice free. I do feel this winter, for a variety of reasons, has been a tough one for the morning runners. Westy, what's in store over the next little while? 7:30m/m ish average. Left soleus/achillees a little tight during the second half and post run. Will try massaging the calf later. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Tom - I also like to wear lady clothes. Something to be proud of these days.
    6mi easy today. Weather continues to be shit.
  • Options
    Jooligan said:
    :D:D:D I don't think anyone will beat Tom's early starts!!
    NE - Nice start to the plan.
    Ramjet & SQ - Nice MLR's
    Coops - Good luck at physio.

Was woken in the night by the wind, so when alarm went off and it was still windy I changed my mind and did a 5 mile recovery instead of my Vo2 max session, which I'll do the weekend. No point trying to do 1k reps in that wind!! Wheelie bins all over the place too...along with the rubbish that was in them!! Might have to move next weeks LT session from Tuesday though if doing Vo2 max Saturday, but will see how legs feel.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I always used to hate the MLR but now I've joined a club it's much more enjoyable. Wednesday is the road running night so I plan out a 5 or 6 mile run down to the club and then join in with either the 7 or 8 mile group. Having people to chat to definitely takes the boredom factor away.
  • Options
    Ramjet said:
    3:58 Tom? I don’t think anyone’s gonna beat that.
    Rammers Im hoping to run london and brighton much faster than 3:58

Staying on topic, how do you guys on here find womens running bras? I find they chaff a bit.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I love running in the wife's knickers. So comfy. Don't tell her though.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Actually running in a bra would solve the problem of runners nipples.
  • Options
    Image result for lingerie running marathon
    The new P&D running thread
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Some good running going on. Some dubious banter too. Good to see.

Things not going so well for me. Seem to have completely lost my running mojo. Great week of training last week and was looking to back it up with another solid one. Took Monday off after the disappointing XC. Tuesday was a 9 miler from the new office. Calves were a bit stiff to start with but nothing too bad and generally was running pretty well. Out again yesterday and I've never felt so bad. One calf was really sore but more than that I just didn't feel right and ended up stopping and walking. Only managed 5k total. Was trying to work out if it was just in my head, didn't feel sick or anything just felt like there was nothing in the tank. I've never felt like it before. I sometimes get a bit of CBA but nearly always feel ok once warmed up. Anyway, I've taken today off as my calf is still really sore just walking and generally feel really flat. We'll see about getting out again tomorrow.

New job is good with some good potential routes. 

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the physio JCG, I think it's the right move. There's a big difference between the good ones and others.

I once packed my wife's undies by accident and after my lunch run was left with the choice of ladies undies or commando.

• Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm very curious what your preference was HA. My OH once ran a tourist parkrun in my running tights and t-shirt because he forgot his own kit. Sorry about the bad run, fingers crossed you're just a bit tired out and your mojo will come back soon.  

I used to do a similar thing to Millsy with MLR - I'd do the club route once by myself and then again with the club. I did like them anyway though, there is something wonderfully smug inducing about a HM+ run mid week in training. 

Thanks for all the physio good wishes! 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Easy does it HA - could be early symptoms of overtraining?
  • Options
    Westy at first i thought you meant wearing ladies undies was a sign of overtraining, then i saw his previous post, then it made more sense.