• Options
    JB: what Tom said  :D:D
    Tom: hope the ankle's not anything to worry about
    Steve: Cracking PB - 9s faster than me now
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: great PB -= brilliant racing :)
  • Options
    Great racing and pbs guys and some brilliant training runs.
    Congratulations JCG, that is great news about the twins. 
    Unfortunately my calf is still playing up from last Tuesday.  I really regret going to the track and am annoyed with my decision making knowing I have had problems in the past. I went out yesterday and did 16 miles at 5.57. It felt really comfortable but i probably shouldn't have as it was a bit painful after 10 miles. I'm now questioning my marathon plans as my higher mileage plan seems to be doomed and I'm sure I can't run the race I want on 50-60 miles a week.
    In desperation I took to the bike again and lucky my legs remembered how to go around in circles. Maybe I'm really a duathlete after all trying to pretend to be a runner.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    It's like walking a tightrope Phil. Hope you find the right balance.

Great PB Steve. Really smashed it.

Sorry Tom and Joe, forgot to answer your questions before. The calf is feeling alright, it doesn't hurt but it feels like it fatigues a bit quicker than the other one. I was going to do a few shorter sessions this week. Guts almost feel back to normal so hopefully might try to get in a Mona fartlek and a progression this week. New job is going well. Nothing too exciting but it's different and definitely good experience. I'm struggling a bit fitting into the new routine but hopefully will settle in soon. The people I work with are good, which is always a big bonus.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    HA/Phillip - sorry the calves are still giving bother. Hope they clear up quickly. 

Tom: hope your ankle is ok. My foot slipped off a kerb at the weekend and scared me. So easy to do stuff like that in this weather especially in the dark. Take care

6mi LT Run tonight with average splits of 6:34/mi - a few seconds slower than the 5mi one to be expected. According to my watch I ran a 1min 10km PB which is a bit crazy. 40:50 when my PB is 41:51 - not bad for a Monday night :)

This is week 6 of no alcohol and I can definitely feel it’s making a difference - all round energy levels are much better. 

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    I agree SQ - early doors is the best time for long runs.

Sounds like a nice route for your long run Hazel.

Nice 10k JB on tired legs. 3.5 hours on the turbo is crazy!

Amazing news JCG! I was expecting you to say you were pulling out due to your bad knee but that is a much more exciting reason.

Fantastic PB Steve and very well paced by the look of it.

Get well soon Reg.

10km PB in training AWC? That is a bit crazy. Get a race booked quick!

7 miles recovery for me. Inspired by Spoons and SQ I set the pace to 8:20. Wasn't feeling great before the run with a bit of a sore throat but as normal felt better afterwards.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Steve - fantastic performance, I'd say you're already in sub 3/sub 1:25 shape

AWC - impressive 10k LT, like ramjet says you should enter one this w/e! I'm hoping to run a time like that this Fri but may choose alternating MP/10k pace as I always struggle at LT.

Phil -sorry to hear the news about the calf but I wouldn't lose all hope yet, you've got a solid base still so best thing to do is let it heal before any more harder workouts or quick runs (5:57 is pretty rapid for anyone!).

7mi yesterday and 9mi today, some hard runs coming up this week 

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Hope the calf is ok Phil. Rapid 15 miler the other day!

Wow AWC-a 10k PB on a Monday night training run! Just goes to show what great form you are in. As others have mentioned, get a race lined up pronto!

HA-Glad the calf is improving and new job is going well.

Was surprised to see no ice when I cautiuosly stepped out the door at 4:15 this morning. Very cold though. 11 miles steady with a few strides. Hands completely frozen despite 2 pairs of gloves!
  • Options

Good long runs from Macca , Hazel and Ramjet

Hope the massage does the trick SQ!

Congrats JCG

Great way to start the year Steve, big PB :)

Take it easy with the calf Phillip, sounds like a few days rest may help

You're in great form at the moment AWC, some big PB's coming your way this year

50minutes last night, felt good. Now to drive up to Yorkshire!

• Options
    Reg mate - sorry to hear about the ongoing struggles. Would be good to see you at Wokingham regardless and I'm sure you'll surprise yourself as usual.

HA - glad to hear the new work is good. Hope you get back into it this week.

AWC - like others have said, get some races in the diary! Looking very positive for the rest of the year.

Tom - it's so cold at the moment. Get a 3rd pair of gloves on the go.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello.

Reg - my cough lasted ages too, made running hard. Mostly gone now, just have to be patient and keep coughing it up.
    AWC - well done on that PB, good stuff.
    Still going here. LT run on Sunday was a struggle but got it done, 15mi yesterday, 7mi this lunchtime will be in the snow.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Re racing - I have Bramley 20 race on Sunday and then I have Reading Half in 6 weeks. There's not really any 10kms convenient or local coming up so I'll stick with Reading as my main target outside London and aim to finally crack that sub 1:30
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Reg - Ive caught the lurgy off you (Or you westy)..... Im dying...Arghhhhhhhhh time to hand the running baton over.

Not .... sure......I............... am........... going............to........... make....it
  • Options
    Phil, if you're not a runner, knocking out 15 miles at sub 6, I'm not sure who qualifies.

Good to see you in such top form AWC but it only proves you need to set a proper 10k PB that you can't beat in training. You'll probably set a 10k PB at Reading too.

Nice to see the come-back continuing Scott.

You know me well Joe, there is a good chance I will turn up a Wokey, it would be novel to turn up to a running race healthy for once though.

I'd say you need to buy some better gloves Tom.

You did well keeping the training going with the cough Westy.

Don't blame me FBT, blame my Mother-in-law. She actually ended up in hospital on oxygen when she had it but was staying with us for a week beforehand.

Took a sick day at work today, my first in three years, I am being made redundant so it's time to start taking the piss a bit. Little bike ride done this morning and will sneak a run in soon.

• Options
    Ramjet, is 8:20s a speed limit or a minimum?! I tend to do recovery runs as slowly as necessary. 

3 pairs of gloves could impact on the getting ready time, Tom. Nice strides. 

Good solid runs Scott and AWC - nice work. 

Shit being ill for that long, Reg, but good your easing your way back in. Definitely go for the HA style wind down at work.

8M marginally progressive this morning, finishing at 6:55s for 7:15s average. An hour of sports massage, ultra sound and some Rock Tape (bargain at £35 total) will, I hope, sort out my left leg. Things definitely improving, but my god did she find some knots in there.

• Options
    Will let you off then Reg and have to pin it on Westy!!! sounds Nasty, hope mine does not end up like that.
  • Options
    Reg - love that, definitely make the most of it. Sorry to hear the news though. You lined something else up yet?

SQ - sounds like you're on top of things.

Can't believe Wokingham is next Sunday. I was convinced it was in like 3 weeks time. Just looked at the start list by expected finishing time. Looks like there is going to be plenty of speedy runners;

http://wokinghamhalfmarathon.co.uk/qryByTime3.2.18/QRYBYT-1.HTM
  • Options

Sounds horrendous HA, hope the family gets well soon.

Solid 20 miler Ramjet, and great mileage for the week.

Similarly Macca, and glad the calf is behaving.

Nice long run Hazel, despite the obstacle course ;)

Still impressed by your big turbo rides Joe. I’d go insane.

Congrats JCG!

Well done on the PB Steve.  

Get better soon Reg. Hope the calf gets better Phil. Glad yours is feeling better HA. 

Superb LT AWC that must be a big confidence booster!

Achilles felt a little stiff when I woke up Monday but eased off as I wandered about and I didn’t feel it while out on a recovery run with SQ.  Same today and it felt fine on an easy 7.5 miles, although feels a little stiff now. No real pain though so hopefully it’ll be ok. I’ll be seeing the ASICS team physio on Thurs as part of this magazine thing so will be good to get her advice on it. Good timing at least with the recovery week, means I can afford to be cautious without panicking about missing training. Well, not panicking too much anyway?!

It’s a shame as otherwise the legs feel great following that big long run, which I share SQ’s amazement at. I wore the Vaporflys and they really do seem to look after the legs very well. Although I do wonder if the high heel tab on them might have aggravated the Achilles. Not that I’ve been spending the time I’d usually be running massively overanalysing things :D Might get the scissors out...

• Options
    Sounds like an early warning Spoons. Eccentric heel drops & calf stretches: bent & straight kneed. Roll the calf too.  Plenty of time as you're having a quieter mileage week.
  • Options
    Thanks Jools. Just tried some eccentric heel drops and it does feel like it’s loosened things up so will keep doing those.  
  • Options

Good to see you craking on despite the cough lingering Westy

Anyone know if FBT is still alive?

May as well take advantage of the redundancy Reg

Staying up near Wakefield for work so had an easy 40mins, some along the Calder canal, definitely not wearing the correct shoes for a muddy towpath, but managed to only fall over once

• Options
    Steady now Scott - don't go injuring yourself again.
    Found this tonight Kipchoge & Bedford speaking at Oxford Union https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc00mDtzIJU Worth a listen
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    SQ - 8:20 is probably a bit faster than most of my recovery runs. I was relieved to know that other people do them slowly as well. Nice progression run today.

Enjoy your recovery week Spoons. Well deserved.

Try to stay upright Scott!

Really enjoyed my 12 miler this afternoon despite the cold and mild man-flu symptoms. It was actually quite idyllic running on the trail in the gentle snowfall with almost no wind. I pushed a bit in the second half and felt like I could bang out 7 minute miles forever. Hope I get those legs on race day!

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Nice running from those making the most of the conditions and hope those with niggles manage to get rid of the quickly. Looking forward to a wokingham shootout - can anyone find the latest predictions?

Legs felt dead today and struggled through an MLR, although I did try to throw in a couple of tempo sections. First one felt way too hard and only able to get through half of the second one before I gave up. Not sure if I'm coming down with something as I just feel tired or if the weather was worse than I thought. Very easy recovery tomorrow - will be more like 9-10 m/m I think!
  • Options

Thanks for the link Joe, great to see there are so many in the 1:18 – 1:21 range. Should be some good groups to draft in. And it is definitely the place to target 1:30 by the numbers there. Some bloke called Scott Overall appears at the top.

+1 for Jooligan’s advice on the calf, spoons. Or I really recommend Nicola Guiver sports massage in the area. Hope it’s ok.

Sounds a lovely run, Ramjet. Hope the cold clears off soon. Beautiful conditions here this morning: -1C, no wind, nice sunrise. 7M at 8:25s on soft surfaces for a slightly longer recovery run.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello.
    Running home from work later today, going to make it lucky 13mi, no time at lunchtime to do it - stupid work.
    I have also learnt to keep the recovery runs dead slow.
  • Options

Hope you stayed dry Scott! I have visions of falling in the canal every time I run along it.

Good find Jooligan will watch that later.

Nice MLR Ramjet, love days like that when it feels effortless.

Take it easy John, days like that happen nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the MLR Westy.

Thanks SQ I was going to ask who you use. Will see what the Asics physio says tomorrow but may be paying her a visit. It definitely feels a little better today - since doing more heel drops this morning (thanks again for the tip Jools) it’s felt pretty much normal even if I really stretch it. Still, I’m going to play it very cautious and not even run today. It’s a shame to break my 75 day running steak, but trying to think bigger picture!!

• Options
    I did indeed have many visions of falling in, especially as the runnable/grassy sections were right next to the canal so had a few dicey moments!

Shame to break the streak RSR but as you say, bigger picture!

Bloody work getting in the way of the running Westy
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I think it's a good excuse for not racing too - though I'm not convinced my knee would have let me anyway. Thanks for the buggy offer HA! I'll PM you. 

Well done breaking your running streak to protect your calf Spoons. Not an easy thing to do. 

I hope FBT is alive.. 

Scott/ Spoons - I also can't run along a canal or any other body of water without visions of falling in. A friend of mine once watched a cyclist go into a canal, he claims it had nothing to do with him, I don't believe him for a second. 
  • Options
    Great stuff from loads of people - but number one congratulations (actually, number one and number two) go to JCG.  Wishing you all the very best of happiness over the coming 28 weeks and beyond!