Options

Southampton Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Great running Mrm2, it sounds like you had some fun in the snow.....20 miles in 3 hrs...that is good running.. especially after all the other long runs. I'll be glad when the hour changes and we can see where we are running in the evening. I managed a 16 miler yesterday..again my longest run ever, it felt very hard..I guess the two weeks of not much running beforehand didn't help, still I did it and gritted my teeth.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well-done for those longer runs; 16' and 18' banked at this stage is good news. Just another step, to start clocking-up the 20s. (The training schedule that my daughter is following only includes one run of 20', and I've recently been looking at a debate that questions the basis of the 'hallowed' 20. However, I know that the third and fourth ones get a lot more efficient and comfortable for me.)
    Enjoyed a good track session two days ago; tested myself over 1600m before doing a set of 8 x 800m (Yasso 800s) with a 400m recovery. My 1600 came in at 7:38, and the 800s were av. 3:56, recovery 400s av. 3:00.
    Just come back from a 10km/1hr. run; checking out an ankle that likes to complain. (Goes back over 12 years when I was board-sailing.) So I'm always aware that I need to listen to my ankle, and never argue when it asks for a day off. Don't want to be playing Snakes and Ladders as FBT described his experience. Happy running everyone.

• Options
    Interesting to hear everyone's comments on whether a 20 miler is needed..I am going to try and fit one in..at my speed that will be 4 hours of running..mind you it all depends on how I feel on the day..on some days running is easy and other days it's tough..
    How much water do people get though on a 16- 20 mile run...I got through a litre on my 16 miler over the weekend and felt that was enough.
  • Options
    My personal view is that for any deacent marathon you really need at least one 20 miler and your 5 longest runs should be as close to 100 miles as possible.

there is a big mental difference between 18 and 20 miles and also a big physical difference for every mile over 16-18 miles as it stresses the system to adapt.
    I will only fit 2x 20 milers in this year as ive been pretty ill over feb and first part of march and not confident in a good marathon because of it.

However my 20 mile runs take about 2:35-2:40 , Im not sure i would want to be doing training runs of 4 hrs, so it might be different depending upon your pace.

I dont drink any water on my long trianing runs, but do in the marathon constantly.
  • Options
    The Southampton marathon is now on the same day as the fa cup semi final which Southampton are playing in at Wembley. 55,000 people will be going up, so I suspect there will be less people watching us run.
    I'm still clocking up the miles, currently clocking up anything between 35 and 45 miles a week. Either this weekend or next weekend illI try a big 20 mile run and see what happens.
  • Options

Dave, It will be mayhem in London as its the London marathon as well!

How did the 20 miler go?

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the focus on longer runs. Ran my fifth 20 miler a few days ago, but it was a poor effort compared with a couple of earlier ones; 3:20, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The second half was a bit of a challenge, and my ankle is letting me know that it is not happy! Still 4 weeks to go, and it might be a bit unconventional but I'm considering a 4 week taper! instead of two or three...just to keep the ankle happy. (It's an old problem, going back over ten years, but I need to listen to it when it complains.) Now in Portugal for family holiday; will try a short run tomorrow. Interesting that London and Southampton marathons could be affected by the soccer!
    Last week I notched up 43 miles, and I don't expect to see that figure again until marathon week. Happy running. Hope most of the work is done. Keep well.
  • Options

fbt - I spent last week abroad, so managed three 10 milers and a 11 miler with some nice hills in the morning, before breakfast... its really great running outdoors when its not pouring down with rain, with a bit of sun, and you can run in your shorts, plus t-shirt of course :). I am hoping to do my 20 miler this weekend. I need to just get into the zone and run it.

mrm2 - it sounds like you have put some very good miles in, and are ready for the run... hopefully the ankle will hold up...and you'll be fit and raring to go on the day.

Not long now...

• Options
    I ran a 19 miler yesterday with lots of the run being in the rain beating my past longest run of 16 miles....my hip flexors ached a bit in the last mile so I am going to start stretching them. I was pleased that I didn't have any blisters or sore bits...In the last few miles I found running downhill hard, maybe I need to strengthen my quads and hamstrings a bit more. 
    With a 19 miler under my belt I am now feeling more confident on running 26 miles. 
  • Options
    Hi guys- lots of good positive posts now on show. Looks like we are all getting there in our own way, despite the poor weather. I’ve had a good couple of weeks with short mid tempo runs/spinning classes and of course the lovely LSR. Last Sunday I completed the Gade 20m with some horrible inclines but got back in 2:54 after starting off at a very comfortable 9min pace for the first seven miles. Did a bike session yesterday and a easy 3m today. Tomorrow’s run will either be a 16/18m LSR with some miles at MP or a 13m run with some miles at faster than MP. I will make up my mind later today.
    have a good weekend and hope your training goes well.
  • Options
    Its a shame that I missed the deadline for the Bournemouth runs next weekend.. I believe they are doing a 5k right up to a marathon distance, so a half marathon would of been ideal to do... mind you all my training for the Southampton marathon has been by myself, so it will be different running with people come the Southampton marathon.

A question for all you guys with more experience. Do you think I should try and do another big long run next weekend, another 19 miler, that would be two weeks before the Southampton marathon, or should I do a half marathon, and then start to taper down?

Dave

• Options
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some advice on how to taper for the next 3 weeks. Southampton will be my first marathon.

Unfortunately my training plan got thrown out the window and has been hampered by a string of minor injuries and so I've not really been able to get out as often as I'd have liked. I managed to keep getting out for the one long run at the weekend (gradually increasing the mileage) mixed with some bike work during the week (i've got a spinning bike at home).

Fortunately i'm injury free now and I've got to the point where last week I managed an 18 mile run on Monday and a 22 mile run yesterday. I'm slow, I'm doing these at 10:15 min miles (I was aiming for under 9 min miles until injury hit). So I'm happy I can do the mileage on the day.

But I'm wondering what's the best use of my time between now and race day?

I haven't really been able to get much in the way of shorter runs in, so I'm thinking maybe a couple of fast 5/6 mile runs this week with an easy 13 mile at the weekend.

Then next week, maybe another couple of 5 mile runs in the week, with an 8 mile on the weekend. I'm not really sure at all about the last week.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Paul.
  • Options
    Hi Timberfood- your plan for next Two weeks seems spot on. This week should be the last hard week, then a Two Week tapper would be ideal.
    Dave-19 is probably too far in my opinion. I would say max 16 however 13 with some at MP better. I personally only go for a 2 week tapper as I think winding down for 3 weeks is too long. 
    I did a hard 17m run yesterday and spinning class today. I’ve got 1 easy run and Two fast runs planned this week. I’ve got a 13m planned for weekend with a possible HM race instead of doing it on my own. Then from Monday it’s cut distance  and pace on all runs but will probably still do my spinning classes. 

• Options

Thanks Stephen, I'll do a half marathon then next Saturday which will hopefully include a park run in the middle.

Nice running btw... it seems like everyone on here will be at the starting line which is good news.

• Options

I agree 3 weeks is a bit too long unless you have batter yourself for the last 4 months! 2 weeks works fine for me with long runs of 16 and 13 miles with MP at the ends

I agree Timberfords taper plan looks spot on!

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Great to see all the fine-tuning going on in these last weeks. Do I sense some anxiety?! It's normal, and you never really know if you have chosen the right option.
    I'm enjoying some family time in Portugal but have done a couple of runs this week; an easy 11 miles..checking the area, (and a reluctant ankle)..., and a five mile run which included some efforts up and down a 300m slope. All is good, but I'm treading a fine line.   (Anxious? Me? This is marathon number 35 for me, and the anticipation buzz is still the same.) Happy running.
  • Options
    What a difference between you and me mrm2, i just want to get round and finish my first marathon, and look good for the finishing photo. I've put in the miles and the training, and realistically I'm looking at a time of 5 hours. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    DT Enjoy the build-up, and have a great experience on the day. Happy running.
  • Options
    Looking good guys- we not far away now. I’ve had a great week training and looking forward to my final LSR on Sunday 13m ish. Going with a friend so we might help each other with a few miles at mp or near. Then it’s tapper time, which I personally find the hardest part. I hate to bring it down too much so will still do my spinning classes but make midweek runs shorter but faster. 
    It doesn’t matter what time you are aiming for a marathon is a great target. 
    Keep it going
  • Options
    Did a nice 13 and a half miles today with a park run in between... its always nice running with other people, and it spurs me on... silly me always up for a challenge had a 100metre fast sprint in at the end,  then realised I had a 4 mile run home... now I've got to work out what tapering I need to do.... 
  • Options
    Hi Dave- I’m in same position ref next Two weeks. I did a good 13mile run today with running partner who hopefully will get me round Southampton. We did it in 1:48 with a few 8min miles and the rest fairly brisk/steady. This week I’m doing spinning class Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday easy 3/4m or rest day, Thursday last LSR 10miles as I’m working whole weekend, Friday rest, Saturday either rest or 3/4m easy after work. The following week I’m not sure as yet. 
    Need to get the legs feeling fresh for 2 weeks time!!!
  • Options
    Stephen..sounds very good 8 minute miles..... in a 13 miler, you must be in very good shape.... 

I was planning to run 4 times this week 3 X 5 miles and an 8 miler on Saturday, all easy running, except if I include the parkrun in my 8 miler...  Then for the week leading up to the marathon I was going to do 3 X 3 milers...and then of course run the marathon on the Sunday, hopefully that's enough.
    I received my race pack over the weekend.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Sounding good, with all the planning for the final two weeks.
    I need to start behaving myself; did a half marathon distance two days ago, and felt good. This morning, didn't really know where I was going, but followed my daughter who said we'd find the Monte Rei golf course.....just a few km from where we are staying. We got home as the Garmin ticked off 9',  and with a complaining ankle! So, looks like it will be a severe taper time for me, with just two or three easy runs this week and next. Only back in UK for a few days before Southampton. Hoping to find my race pack waiting for me.  Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    3 X 5 milers this week and a 8 miler today with a fast for me parkrun in the middle...
    The weather is picking up for next weekend, all I'm hoping for is that it doesn't rain. 
    Does anyone know how many people have entered for the full marathon... I'm guessing that everyone running the full will be past the starting line in 5 - 10 minutes..unlike London where it looks like some people take 30 mins plus. 
    I'm looking forward to next weekend now..all the trainings now been done.
  • Options
    DT- the full and half start at same time, so might take longer to get over start unless you go near front. I don’t think there are pens like London so you go where you feel ok to run.
    i did my last LSR today of 10miles all at 8min pace. No way I think I will be able to run at this pace next weekend, so am thinking of 8:30 pace to start with and then will see how I feel after 6miles.
    rest day tomorrow, Tuesday easy run with strides 4/5m Wednesday spinning class, Thursday easy run 4/5m, Friday rest day, Saturday might do a gentle 2/3m run before heading up. Aiming on getting to Southampton for about 1pm, light lunch then work out logistics before afternoon ?.
    Not liking the fact we could be running in 19c however not much can do about weather. 
    Drink plenty every day this week and lots of salt in your diet is allowed along with lots of carbs of course.
    have a good week everyone 
  • Options

A very good point regarding salt intake.. I didn't realise.. especially if its going to be hot... and maybe some suntan cream.

My plan will be to go off at a sensible pace, and try not to get caught up with lots of people running faster than me, if I feel good then I can do more in the second half of the race. If not then I will just plod along. 

I'm not looking for world records, just a personal achievement and an enjoyable day.. if it takes me longer than I think then it really doesn't matter as whatever I do will be a PB.

• Options
    Absolutely right DT- enjoy the day. I’ve started drinking more water than I normally do and will up my carbs intake from tomorrow. Not going to go mad but and extra carb portion per day. Gentle run today was good, just 2 sessions to go.

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    All the best to everyone. Trust all the work has been done. Got back from three weeks in Portugal yesterday, and enjoyed a 4' run in the sun, by the beach this morning. Just miles 2 and 3 at 9:00/mi. and all very comfortable. Not sure if I'll do a couple of miles on Saturday or just rest. 'Rest' sounds good!
  • Options

Looks like its going to be between 14 and 16 degrees on Sunday morning.. so not too bad... that's better than the 23 degrees for my 3 miler yesterday lunchtime.. and mrm2 its probably colder than the running in Portugal.

• Options
    Last 5m run done for me today. Easy pace, very hot, and I hope you are right Dave with predicted temperatures for weekend. 
    Im really looking forward to this race- really low key and no expectations. Booked my next race after this one a race to the kings 53mile ultra in June!!!
    so this one has turned into a long training run.