Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Lit and SG.

Re my injection Muddy I'm supposed to give it 7 days before I try and run on it - that's tomorrow.

If I had to guess now I would say it hasn't worked but having steroid pumped into my ankle area has probably helped strengthen something so I'll see.

Good luck to everyone doing London - is that just Lit and DT? Hope it goes well.

If you haven't read Dachs' Brighton report on SG thread it's worth a read but maybe not as a tactical masterclass for your sub 3 attempt DT!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, skinny. That was a good read. It seems that it doesn't matter how good you are, if you run the first half 3 minutes too fast it'll get you in the end! The midlander he mentions is probably a guy that lives by me who runs for Tipton. He did 2.32 also.

I'm ticking along with a rest day and sports massage. The major concern for me is the weather forecast. 15-18c and cloudy is ok, but introduce clear blue skies and it's a different game all together!

Muddy, well done on the 10k miler. 

Lit, well done on the road relays. You may well have stayed at the same premier inn as I did a few weeks ago, just off j9 of the motorway. What start are you on, on Sunday?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    No I think we were in the M6 J21 one DT. I'm sure it was extremely different. I will be on the championship start (blue) as usual. It's all about the shorter toilet queues.
  • Options
    I'm sure DT will confirm that there are never long queues for the disabled toilets! ;)
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    ^ unless you are behind him ;) Or slip on a banana skin.

I know I’m not here, but I am doing London. Will definitely not be anything special, but if the weather is not insanely hot I may scrape a GFA. Pretty chuffed I’m even getting to the start at all just 6 months after having Small. 

Hope everyone is doing ok!
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Haha.  Hello, Madbee!  Impressed that you are even considering a marathon.
    Good 10 miler, muddy.  Looks promising.
    Really hope things go well in your trial run, skinny.

I've had a frustrating month, with real life getting in the way of running, latterly in the form of a back strain caused by picking up my sax too enthusiastically!  I've managed two shortish runs this week though.  No adverse reaction but they have felt hard.  I lose fitness really quickly and take ages to get it back.  One of the joys of being an old fart!
  • Options
    Fingers are crossed Skinny.

Well done on the relays Lit and best of luck for London.

Unlucky Pete - but with the sort of weekly distances you've been putting in you'll probably find the rest will be a blessing in disguise, once you get over the initial discomfort of remembering how to run. The brain forgets really quickly, but the aerobic strength you've developed will still be lurking.

Hello Madbee. I just knew mentioning your name would bring you back ! Wishing you the very best of luck with London.

An easy 9m with strides last night. Cold and wet - no sign of any heatwave. Then I couldn't sleep and ended up twiddling my thumbs at 2 in the morning. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Madbee!!!! Will you still be in the champs start?
    How's the foot, skinny?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hello, Madbee! So there are three of us sunning up in London, and Tommy in Slovenia (?) on sunday?

Sorry to hear about your back, Pete. Hope you get back into the swing of things soon.

Last proper run today with 3 at mp planned over lunch, in conditions that resemble what sunday may well be.

• Options
    Hi Madbee - you may have melted away but good to know you are still out there. Hope Small is sleeping through now and good luck at London.

Pete - I've heard overenthusiastic sax can give you a bad back.

I'm trialling my foot tonight.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/43808217

Yuk - take care everybody - looks like you will miss the hottest weather if you run it quickly ;-) 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Pete - I've heard overenthusiastic sax can give you a bad back.

I'm trialling my foot tonight.
    Haha.  I teed that up in the hope you'd smash it into the rough, skinny!  It was in the boot of my car :o

Best wishes for the foot trial.
  • Options
    Yes muddy, Lit and DT all missed/resisted the short putt you had left but I couldn't stop myself tapping it in (aided by the fact my sister plays sax so it is not the first time I have made similar jokes).
  • Options
     :D

Just back from my 4m recovery run sweat fest. It suddenly got very warm. I'm pining already for cool autumn evenings :(
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    3 miles at MP. In terms of running, 6.40mm seemed like I was jogging and was very comfortable for the legs to hit. My concern is the heat. After 3 I was uncomfortably hot. There is still 5 days to go and already talk of downpours and cloud so there is hope!
  • Options
    Foot's no better  :'(
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Shit news.  So sorry.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

:(

Sorry to hear that, Skinny. Hope your long walk goes well.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Oh P.S. DT, I'm going to Antwerp not Slovenia (I did Ljubljana mara a couple of years ago though)  
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That's rubbish, Skinny. Grr.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Good luck to the London runners. I will be keeping an eye out for results. Fingers crossed its not too hot for you.

Skinny sorry to hear about your foot. Must be massively frustrating for you.

I've had foot issues of my own and have barely run since October. However I've tentatively started back in the last few weeks and even managed a couple of light sessions recently. So some positive signs.

In other news I'm moving to York in a couple of weeks so Muddy if I ever get back to racing I might bump into you when you venture North!

• Options
    Skinny - that’s really crap, sorry, don’t really know what else to say.

Saw you had dropped off the Strava radar Mr V. You still seem to be hitting great paces after such a long time out though ! I’ll be up north a fair bit I think in the late summer - fancy the Vale of York half for one, and probably the York 10k.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Skinny  :'( really sorry to hear that. 

Lit, yep, I will be a total imposter on the champs start but I’m not standing in a loo queue longer than I have to. Also, if the weather forecast is right I need to get over the start line ASAP to be in with a chance of finishing before cooking! 

Thanks all for well wishes, I’m sorry I’m crap at replying but Mini Mad is determined to poke all the keys on the keyboard and howls when I put her down whilst at the computer. It also makes working at home one day a week challenging :p
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Sorry to hear that Skinny, my 'one-to-watch' prediction really is a sodding jinx having doomed all my selections over the life of this thread. I was hoping the law of averages might come into play ....

Good luck to everyone doing THE marathon, not decided if i'll watch live or on the goggle box yet.

Edit : Madbee, 6 months is flipping good going so well done and enjoy.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the foot is no better, Skinny. 

Good luck in Antwerp Tommy. 

Been a bit fresher in London today but when the sun is out it's hot. Sunny is currentky the forecast so still hoping for change.

Good luck also, Lit. 
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Just seen dt's splits from today. No longer certain that he is human. By which I mean well done you asbestos metronome!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, someone posted them on my Facebook and I couldn't believe how close they were. at one point I thought my watch had broken as it wouldn't move from 6.55 pace. 

That's the difference in running a Mara inside your comfort zone and chasing times that the conditions weren't there for. 

Good to see madbee and Lit as well. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello! Well done DT! Excellent to be able to equal your PB on such a hot day. It was also nice to see you during the race and Madbee in the toilet queue. Meanwhile, vaguely thinking I might  be fit enough for about 2:55-58 on a normal day, I decided to set off at marginal sub 3 pace and reassess after 10k. At which point I decided it was a ludicrous idea in the conditions, and slowed down to finish in 3:10 instead. However, I'd still say even 'jogging' 32k of the race it was the hardest marathon I've done!
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Awesome DT. Thought much the same looking at your Strava. 

I had a very similar experience to lit (sorry not to say hi beyond a cursory wave - it was all a bit last minute for me this year!). I set out aiming at around 3:40, felt pretty ok pace-wise and legs were good well past my decision to slow down, but the heat does not work for me at all so I got to 10 miles and decided to trot home for a comfortable sub 4 instead - 3:51 including a loo stop! Feel absolutely fine today and think a couple of degrees cooler and I’d have comfortably managed 3:45. 

• Options
    Well done DT, Lit and Madbee - must have been incredibly hard work in the heat. I recall Hull was 20 degrees and that left me feeling pretty beat up. Are you all going to look for something in the autumn ?

On Sunday I found it far too hot and clammy to go really long, so went for a 5k threshold round the mostly muddy reservoir paths at Great Run Local. With a 3m warm up and a 6m cooldown that made 12 miles and around 50 for the week. They have ludicrously bad timing at these things, so the 18.22 on my watch (18.44 a month ago for the same effort in better conditions) was rounded up to 18.50. My 100% "win" record was broken (at least on paper) as they put the 2k race timings in with the 5k timings.