Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    That's a good race name Tommy (and more strong efforts from you too so soon after a marathon).

Skinny - it's probably that early so they can all make their breakfast meetings !  You've reminded me of how I  enjoyed my short stay in Denver (and Boulder). This was when and where I got my first pair of running shoes. I went for a run early one morning and someone cycled up behind me and yelled "Get out of the way butthead!". The running shoes got used mainly for the gym after that. Congratulations on making it through and having an enjoyable hike (and you too Pete on a finely chosen time for an excursion).

I've been having a few days off. The stomach issues from last week unsurprisingly didn't take too kindly to me running a half marathon, so I'm letting things settle down. A down week won't hurt given what's on the books for the next few months.
  • Options
    Want to help a PhD student out? Current or former athletes with eating and/or exercise concerns needed for study. Participation includes an online interview, and reimbursments are available. If interested, please email: S.S.Sandgren@lboro.ac.uk.
  • Options
    Think that's a no Seb.

I was in Glasgow this weekend on phase 2 of my 50th birthday celebrations with my schoolfriends this time.

Two of them staggered out of bed on Saturday morning to parkrun so I agreed to go with them although I did not expect to make the full 5k.

Anyhow I got round and managed to beat them both in 22:26 (Ruchill).

Appropriately it was my 50th parkrun and also the 50th at Ruchill.

My foot still hurt though not badly enough to stop me so no miracle just a fun window in the misery.

PS 5k is further than I remembered it - I was blowing at the end.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    hi all!

Well done on the walk and parkrun, Skinny. So, what is next in the diagnosis path?

Tommy, good racing, again!
     I ticked along last week with some easy runs but also a systems check at 160 ish bpm. I did 4 miles at 6.34 for 162 so all seems in good order. 

tonight I did an impromptu 4 x 1k on treadmill which was slightly progressive. 

In non running news I took partnership at work from 01 May, which was pleasing. 
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Congratulations DT - hope it goes well.

Running wise you seem in fine fettle too.

I've been offered a 3D gait analysis at MIHP but it's not covered by BUPA so will cost £350 - I'm probably going to go for it but think I'll be wasting my money - I'd get more value out of one of your vibrating gadgets! (not sure it would help with my running though  ;))
  • Options
    I think I am probably not alone then in thinking of myself as a current or former athlete, let alone having eating and/or exercise concerns, in order to qualify for Seb's research.

I did see a companion race to Tommy's Tigers Todger race pop up in my Facebook feed - the Grimsdale Growler ...

Glad you could get round parkrun Skinny. I am put in mind of one of my old footy mates whose answer to every ailment was to "run it off". Though obviously he was a young lad then and probably has chronic injuries now. I hope you can get some useful feedback out of the gait analysis - maybe it'll give them another diagnostic angle ?

Congratulations on the partnership DT. Your bog standard marathon effort runs are now rather similarly paced to mine !

I managed 23 miles over the weekend across 3 runs (and caught a fair bit of sun) as part of an unplanned cutback week. I had a rest day yesterday travelling back from up north, but was out nice and early this morning for a 30 min jog ahead of a club session this evening.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

As part of my new role I get full BUPA cover which is handy to have.

Good luck with the 3d analysis, you never know, this could be the one that finds something!

Muddy, the 6.34 run came in at 162 (though it was a warmer than I am used to day) so a bit higher than target. If I had kept to 160, you could knock probably 4-5 seconds a mile off that.

I managed a meagre 23 miles in total last week. Planned to get out over lunchtime but work got in the way. Wont hurt to have a rest day though, as still recovering to an extent from London.

• Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    In the run up to London I developed a weird strain running from the inside of my rear rhs buttock and up to the front of my rhs thigh.  Rested up a bit before London, in the end the heat did for me and this delightful ailment didn’t present itself too much, but now it’s back... the pain isn’t massive but I get some discomfort which feels like it’s about a couple of inches over from me ‘ole, and when running it can feel sore in the scrotal area and further back, with some distracting but not severe pain in my balls whilst running.  Like I said, delightful :/

I can run on it, and in fact over the course of, say, five miles, it eases off a bit, but never goes away.  Stretching helps up to a point, but with another race coming up in a few weeks I’m wondering what to do.  The next race is hilly, and I need to get some quality steep stuff in beforehand, so don’t really want to rest up too much.  But I worry that I might be on ‘borrowed time’ as far as the strain goes.  

Anyone recognise the symptoms?  Any non-physio stuff to try?  (I will try to sort out a physio appointment ahead of the race, but for various reasons it’s not going to be this week)...  ta.
  • Options
    Sounds like a lower back problem to me - however online diagnosis is shit - go and see a physio.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good effort on the parkrun Skinny and happy birthday too. Hopefully the 3D analysis will show help.

Congrats on the partnership, DT. I'm pretty sure there will be some residual fatigue from your London efforts.

Another fell race for me last night; Burbage Skyline. This was much more my kind of thing compared to last weeks; 100% off road with some runnable (and some non runnable) climbs, some grassy and some rocky descents, some bogs some heather, some streams to cross and some awesome views from the top of the hills.

Went out fairly steadily and we were almost immediately into the first climb but it was a bit crowded so put in a bit more effort to get ahead of people. I realised my club mate who is a bit of a monster on the fells was just ahead of me which was a bit disconcerting but decided to go with it. Made up quite a few places along the traverse along the rock edge and was just about keeping pace with my club mate. Rocky descent and then across a stream before turning back along the valley and a long drag up to a trig point. At this point we were just over halfway through and I was feeling pretty good, but some scrambling down some rocks and a steep grassy down before effectively a 180 degree turn back up the grass slope and clambering up some rocks took it out of me a bit and my club mate eased away in to the distance. I got myself back together on a grassy/heathery descent and gained a few places before some more ups and downs and going thigh deep in a peat bog. At this point I was begging for the finish and knew it must be close and thought we were turning on to the track for the finish, however, there was a sting in the tail with a short sharp climb which battered my legs. Final steep descent over heather and rocks, where I gained a couple of places and then a short run in on a gravel track.

Finished in 51 mins (78th place out of 322), about 20 places and 90 seconds behind my club mate which I was pleasantly surprise with. 51 minutes for 9.2k doesn't sound too impressive but the terrain and 900ft explains most of that! Remarkably the winner finished in 38 minutes. Think I'm getting better at running on this type of terrain but I'm still nowhere near confident enough on the descents and I'm not fast enough uphill.

• Options
    Great running Tommy - our Versatility Champion and no mistake.

That reminds me that they race the West Highland Way (95 miles, 14,500 feet of ascent and descent) and the record is about 14 hours (13:41:08) which is just mental. Like running 3.7 hilly marathons at about 3:42 pace off road - there is about 5 miles along Loch Lomond where you are scrambling up and down over rocks for about 3 hours when walking.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jtced,  running is clearly important to you. if your car didn't work you'd have no trouble spending £200 fixing it. Just get a proper diagnosis. Injuries don't just happen generally. We get plenty of warming, which you are getting now. 

Tommy, good running. Having done some trail and xc stuff thre is definitely a bravery/experience aspect to the better runners. 

I've been largely not arsed this week with 6.5 really slow last night and 3.5 even slower this morning. 

Hopefully I'll be a bit more up for it tomorrow. 
  • Options
    The marathon is still in there DT - take it easy, like .. err... Tommy !

I'm impressed by your resilience Tommy. Is that 3 races post marathon ?

I'm doing a fairly normal week of mileage rounded off by Market Drayton 10k on Sunday. Not sure how I feel about it really. I did a 3 x 7 mins threshold heart rate session on Tuesday night which felt like I was having to marshall incredible effort to hit 6 min/mile pace. Then last night I tried for 400m burst at the end of an easy 5m run. That felt like 5k pace but measured more like marathon pace.

Hope you all have fine weekends.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a 10k pb coming up for muddy on Sunday :)
  • Options
    I wish Pete, but recent training hasn’t given me much cause to think that it could be achievable.

So, I managed to scrap under 36 mins, finishing in 35.59. I went through half way around 17.45 but all the ups and downs were found in the second half of the course so those knocked me back a bit, as did an increasingly warm day (11am race start). Finished 15th and 1st v45 - got a little mini-shield-trophy thing and a free entry into next years race. The goody bag was as awesome as ever: 5 pork pies, 12x Muller Fruit Corners, banana, a mars bar, 2 bottles of water and last but not least a lurid t-shirt bearing an unfortunate gingerbread man logo. 

Oh and the sun roasted my baldy head. It’s cap season.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Muddy. it was annoyingly warm and sunny yesterday. my 10k also had an 11am start as well. 

I do this every year and the objective is to beat last year's time (39.47) which I've achieved all but once. it's very hilly with over 400 feet of elevation based on strava. 

I wasn't well placed this year to do well as I was out all day at the cricket Friday and would be drinking and then Saturday from early evening was my mates 40th. Woke up Sunday feeling worse for wear but an 11am start and no travelling made it feasible. 

I had debated entering the 5k instead as I know the standard is poor but prizes the same as 10k. Looking at results had I done so and run it at same pace as 10k I'd have won it by 2 minutes. 

Anyway, despite briefly stopping twice due to feeling sick I managed 39.46 for a 1 second course PB. I finished 6th but only 4th in age group. Generally it's said if you can go sub 40 there you can anywhere. Throw in a hangover, which I still seem to have today, and i feel I'm in good shape. Spent the afternoon lying on the sofa feeling horrible but slightly satisfied. 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Congrats on another prize and the amazing sounding goody bag, muddy.

Nicely done, DT. A hilly 10k with hangover, lovely!

DT19 said:

It's very hilly with over 400 feet of elevation based on strava. 

Generally it's said if you can go sub 40 there you can anywhere.  

I also did a 10K on Sunday, which had about 650ft of elevation gain, so that must be classified as extremely hilly! Sub 40 on this course would be some going. The winner of Sunday's race was a bit of a monster and somehow finished in 35:33 but looking at his PO10 profile he's got a bit of pedigree (2:21 marathon) but doesn't race much anymore. Nobody else broke 40, despite second and third having some decent times. 

The race was a bit gruelling, with a short sharp hill to get things started before a massively long steep downhill for nearly a mile which ruined my quads, then it seemed to be uphill for about 2 miles and I wasn't enjoying things much. I was in 5th place, with the guy in 4th getting further away and the person in 6th seemingly getting closer. Then came a decent downhill stretch and I pulled myself back together, which coupled with a very welcome water station at 4 miles, I started to enjoy things a bit more, with some general downhill running and a couple of short climbs (although I was convinced I was about to be overtaken at any moment but turns out it was my key rattling in my shorts pocket). Just after 5.5 miles we were approaching the finish and the course took a nice detour off the road and onto a footpath with a pretty steep climb, which just about stopped me in my tracks, the route then re-joined the road before a final sting in the tail, a sharp climb up to the finish where I felt like I was running slower than was physically possible. Stumbled over the line in 42:58 and 5th place and ruined legs, easily the toughest road 10k I've ever ran.

Hopefully all this running up and down hills will come in useful this weekend as I've somehow been selected as for the Notts inter-counties fell squad; think they're scraping the barrel selecting me but there we go.

Supposed to be running in the next race in the summer league this Wednesday but might have to reconsider that.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, that sounds horrible!!!

Well done on your Notts call up!!

Do you happen to know if there are any midweek races around your way on wed 01st August? Family are all away so I have a free run option! Closest I can find at the minute is a 5 miler somewhere by Leicester.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oooooh, well done Tommy! Will you be getting a stylish green vest?
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

That Wednesday is the final race in the Nottinghamshire summer league so unlikely there'll be any that close to me.

I think the 5 miler you're referring to is quite a quick course although not pan flat. For something a bit different you could do one of the events at the Charnwood AC track meeting which is that night.  

Lt - yes I believe I will. However, we have been informed that there are 'limited sizes available as new stock hasn't arrived yet, so we suggest that you bring safety pins', so I imagine 'm going to be running around in something which resembles a dress.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    You can borrow mine if you like. However it is a ladies xs so might be differently ill-fitting.
  • Options
    Tommy2D said:

Lt - yes I believe I will. However, we have been informed that there are 'limited sizes available as new stock hasn't arrived yet, so we suggest that you bring safety pins', so I imagine 'm going to be running around in something which resembles a dress.

Hopefully you will get it beforehand Tommy then you can practice in it (a dress rehearsal  ;)
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the call up Tommy B)

Hope everyone is ok, how are you, Skinny ?

I had my annual email from my club reminding me that my subscription is due but haven't renewed for various reasons ( so am back to unattached on PO10 ) and have just started running with a much smaller group. As i'm the new boy they are all keen to tell me about their marathons and are giving me advice on getting into running which is quite fun and i'm playing along nicely.

So, i've actually got some running to report and have managed a 3 week sequence of 20-23-28. Last 2 weeks have included Sunday long runs of about 10M @ 11:30/M with the new group and this week so far has been 0-5-7-5 which i'm pretty chuffed about as it's getting easier .... will aim for about 33 this week.

• Options
    Well done on the race and the Notts minidress/vest Tommy.

Speaking of looking silly ...

What a bell !

Mace, from the marathon subtext of your new boy conversations are you looking for a rip roaring comeback at London 2019 ?

Not much running to report so far this week for me. Soreness (sunburn) prevailed on Monday, then 13 miles Tuesday very easy, work interrupted running yesterday, so hoping to get out lunchtime today and make it a decent weekend of running.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, Mace. Are you keeping tight lipped in order to perform some form of hussle in a few months?

That's a lovely photo, muddy. Is that from the weekend?

I have started a 10k schedule this week. Monday I was bit sore froim racing so did a recovery 5 miler and then spin. Tuesday I did 8 x 400. I didn't use a watch or a treadmill and just run hard. My schedule says I should be doing these in about 80 seconds. Mine all ranged between 84-84. The last 4 were pretty maximal for me. Yesterday was a spin/pump combo and over lunch I am planning 9 with 6 at Long tempo which is about 6.35. I may reduce it to 5 as it's quite sunny out. Rest day tomorrow before parkrun Saturday in what looks set to be perfect conditions.

I have entered the Yorkshire mara for 14th October so my plan is to follow a 10k sch until 08th July then start a 12 week mara sch. I have a half and a few 10k's scattered over the summer as well.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    muddy - that is definitely the plan. My motivation now is to not be in the position i was about a month ago when i feared putting my work trousers on every day. It was a choice of bigger size or hitting the pavement again.

DT - :p

• Options
    DT19 said:

well done, Mace. Are you keeping tight lipped in order to perform some form of hussle in a few months?

He's got to master a shuffle before he can go for a hustle. ;)
  • Options
    DT - Yes the pic is from Sunday. Congratulations on biting the autumn marathon bullet ! I have done the same - I will be doing Hull as a dress rehearsal for chasing Mace through the streets of London in 2019.

Not one but two ! My mind may change after Hull (or when the winter sets in, or when I get injured).
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - York could finally be my chance to meet you as I'm planning on doing the 10 miler that forms part of the same event. Well depending on how things go over the next couple of months anyway.

My running comeback has been ticking along nicely and an 18.23 parkrun at the weekend suggested some progress albeit plenty of work still to be done. Unfortunately having joined one of the local clubs for a track session on Tuesday I seem to have aggravated a (different) old injury. I guess the moral of the story is track work requires caution when you haven't done anything faster than threshold for about 18 months!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, I've been getting away with murder in your absence on that side of things...

Muddy, this is quite a marathon based changed of heart??

Mr V, I didn't know there was a 10 miler as well. Be good if we could meet up. I have booked myself a Travelodge that strikes the balance between the city centre and start line (it was also the cheapest one). I also notice there is a david Lloyd on the Hull Road, not to far from the finish which will saving me spending £20 on a late check out and allow me to not have to spend 5 hours on a train stinking.

Yesterdays run didn't go well. Plan was 6.30-6.35 pace and 165 hr. At mile 2 I felt quite sick, like I was at the end of a race. I called it a day at 4 miles with average pace of 6.36 and 162 hr. Clearly had things been right I would expect 6 miles at 165hr to have come out circa 6.30 average from that. Probably a mix of fatigue from a boozy weekend and a race, together with the sun shining and a stiff direct headwind at miles 1 and 3.

Worcester parkrun in the morning where the weather forecast is decent, including 2mph wind speed.