Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Great report UDS. I am a fair bit slower than you but I remember training perfectly for a crack at sub 3.20 at Abingdon and the wheels just fell off at 18 miles but a couple of weeks later I ran 3.35 at Snowdon and felt great all the way round. Flat courses can be relentless and Snowdon can be fast if you know the course (which you do) and pace it right. Got a feeling your sub 3 isn't far away :)
  • Options
    Thanks CSMLFC and TLG! Yep I'm hoping it was just a bad day at the office and i will bounce back stronger at SNOD. First run this morning since Warsaw on Sunday. 10 very easy (but not easy) miles. At least another full week to feel anywhere near normal but will probably take all 3 weeks up to race day to completely shake it off. But still need to train properly this week otherwise I'd effectively be having a 4 week taper which is no good and will reduce fitness. 

Good luck to anyone running Chester tomorrow. I think a couple of you probably are. 
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    1:51:46 in Cardiff half which I was pleased with considering my gradual descent into a long distance plodder.  Each 5K split was faster than the one before which gave me a very good feeling at the end.

That was on the back of 2 x 17 miles on Friday, so AGTFQS.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Muhh!  Since I posted that the official results have come out and, unusually for a mass-participation event, they use gun times.  So, since it took me 6:27 to cross the start line, my time has suddenly dropped to 1:58:13.  Still within my target of 2 hours, so OK.
  • Options
    1:34:29 for Cardiff Half...PB (I may have peaked) so probably doomed for a decent time in Snowdonia.
  • Options
    Well done on the Cardiff times guys. I was just outside my Pb, but I threw it away in the first half of the race really. My first 4 miles were some of my slowest. Definitely think on another day I could have run a Pb. So that's a good sign for the big one! They should start telling us what our race number is anytime now I think?
  • Options
    Hello Snodders, it is marathon weather out there tonight..are we ready? :)
  • Options
    It isn't marathon weather in the Fens. It is scorchio. About 25 degrees. I'm sure SNOD will be as unpredictable as ever.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Agree with brer - my last couple of runs were under rather blustery conditions.

I've done my 4 x 17-milers in 36 hours.  The first three went well but the last which I started at midnight last night I thought was never going to end.  I had to ultra-shuffle all the way round.
  • Options
    That is awesome work T-Rex. Huge well done. I hate to think what state I will be in after just a 50k next Saturday.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear - I didn't spend all 36 hours running.  Within that period there were also two shifts at work, a sleep, a dog walk, and some shopping.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I've managed to inflame the superior extensor retinaculum on my left leg.  This is a ligament at the bottom of the shin that holds the tendons in place that run along the top of the foot.

Not great news.  Icing, rest, and elevation underway.

• Options
    You're not the only one T Rex. I'm struggling with a groin issue. Had to cut short my run this afternoon at 7 miles. Hoping to get into the physio Thursday to see exactly what the problem is. Fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    My monthly mileage since Ibiza Marathon in April means that my time at Snowdonia will be well north of 4:30, in fact T Rex will probably beat me.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, remember me....

Yes, been meaning to post for a loong time. Traditionally I start posting when I start training.

Well, training. Now there's a thing. 

I guess the issue is that I got used to my body shrugging it's shoulders and getting on with getting me to the end, without me putting in much time or effort beforehand to expect it to be capable of doing so, just believing that it was.

And it's that last word that gives me scary thoughts for this years SNOD. 

Did Snowdon Trail in July, twisted my knee shortly after Beddgelert, carried on. I mean, it's only another 13 miles or so with a trip up Snowdon in-between. What's the worst that can happen? Did think about pulling out at Pen Y Pass, for all of about a nano second. On reflection, perhaps I should have as I really struggled going up from there (It was bad enough getting from the bottom to there). I got to the top and couldn't even run down until it got almost flat. 7 hours it took me in the end. 

The following weekend I did the International. Instead of our week being full of climbing or walking up & down the mountains we became tourists while I rested my knee. Seemed to work. I did at least think I may be able to run on the way down.... Ended a minute slower, 1:58, than the last time I did it.

So the scary thoughts? Well, I hadn't trained for either of those. The twisted knee was me not looking where I was going rather than effort on unprepared legs (Though I'm sure that had an affect). Both the trail mara and the international aren't what you might call entry level races but my body did them, no problem on the running side, no problem on the recovery side.

We're getting to the scary part.

Did York Mara on Sunday. Told everybody I was just aiming for 4:20/4:30 as I really, really wasn't prepared.

Set off at an 'Easy' pace. Pretty much bang on 9 m/m. Went through 10k at this, 20k, halfway, 30k. All going fine and no problems. went past 21m and thought I was easily on for sub 4, I could even back peddle a bit. 

Within a few yards I had nothing. Nada, empty. 11mins for the next mile. Tried picking it back up, 10 mins for the 23rd mile. Knew my sub 4 was now in danger and really tried pushing it to get back. got 9m11s for the 24th mile but I'd taken everything my poor body could give. 11 mins for the 25th mile and 12 mins for the 26th. finished at 4:04:25.

The scary part was just how much trouble I was in walking the half mile back to the B&B to get my car to drive home. A number of people asked if I was ok as I was walking along. Not a good sign eh? Scary also was the thought of if I was safe to drive, and if I was, could I actually get out the car when I got home? Scary was not being able to get comfortable on the sofa or in bed when I got home (Mrs Chimney came out to help me, giving me so much sympathy....). Scary was seizing up yesterday if I stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes. 

The bit that's really scary? Thinking 'Has my body now given up and actually wants me to get it ready before I ask it to do stuff?'. 

Maybe a couple of little jogs this week, Chessy half on Sunday, and maybe a jog or two next week. Sound like enough training for SNOD?

My time for this years race? Not the foggiest. My fastest is 3:47, my slowest is 4:20. Think I may be putting a new figure in for my slowest after this year.

On a brighter note, Asics gave me a place for Manchester mara in April. On a depressing note I know that I have to train for it. And that training will be done in winter.......

See you in 10/11 days.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Great post, Chimney.  Glad you're around.

I think you know the reason for that road marathon!  The body doesn't store fitness from months or years previously!!

I think sub- 4:20 would be a good goal.

At the moment it feels like someone has kicked me very hard in the shins.  I'm hobbling about.  I might have to start my challenge on the Thursday at this rate.
  • Options
    Looks like the fun really will be at the back of the pack this year :)
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    UDS, just read your Warsaw Blog. Beautifully written and a wonderful explanantion of the highs & lows, & draw of a marathon. 

I've got the Friday booked off so will be in Llanberis to see you off Mr Rex. 

Everything seems to have recovered for me from Sunday, except a slight pull on my calf. Need to think about that. I'm really, (And I will have to constantly have words with myself to slow down), going to take the half this weekend as a jog. Being that it's a local race for me means I know a lot of people who are also doing it.

One of them is a 25yo guy who works at the same place I do. He started running a few years ago. He's getting quicker which in a way is unfortunate. You see, in all the races we've both done he's never beaten me which irks him a tad. He sees me at work smoking, eating fish & chips, crisps, chocolate, he knows what training I do. And he's been telling me for the last couple of months that he's going to beat me this weekend. 

I'm a 50yo mature and sensible person who of course wouldn't allow himself to be drawn into a competition.....I'm buggered. 

But I do need to watch my calf. The last time I did SNOD after injuring my calf I really screwed it. My leg collapsed underneath me on the way up to Pen Y Pass. And that was another race I really should have pulled out of, but I didn't. Saw someone at the top that I hadn't seen since 1984 so walked/jogged along with him until Beddgelert, where I was going to pull after getting to half way. But that little voice (Who's a lot more competitive than me) said that there was plenty of time and I could effectively walk most of the way to the finish and what's the worse that could happen? That phrase gets uttered by it quite a lot. It doesn't seem to realise the consequences on my physical body. I'm a slave to it.

Well the worst was that it took a very long time before to get right, and I still don't have 100% confidence in it. And that was 5 years ago. Different calf this time.

I am the master of my own destiny. Yeah right. Whoever said that hasn't met my inner voice.....
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Great to hear the latest stories, great blog Stu. Sorry the outcome wasn't what you had hoped for, Snowdon will be your day! Good to see the usual suspects are back on board the party bus in varying degrees of fitness and injury. TRex, hope the shin is better soon. I will try to get to Y Pantri for your send off on Friday. I'm doing my final training run on Sunday, Hardmoors Osmotherley trail marathon. Tis a tough beast and will therefore ensure my time time at Snod could be a PW :) Snod will be marathon number 60 of 2018 so I have had a busy year! See you all soon
  • Options

Welcome back Chimney. Good luck taking it easy on Sunday!!! I know the competitive mist that block all sensible plans well!

Hope the shin is on the mend TRex. What is it about the taper? I have had months of pain free training clocking up more miles than ever without any issues. Last long run done on Sunday no problems then yesterday I develop a stabbing pain in my right knee! I have binned the first two runs had had planned this week and think I will "try" to resist the temptation to test it before the weekend.

Glad to hear you are tapering by just doing the one marathon this week Brer!! Have fun.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I shall set out as planned, but if by the end of the first lap it's too painful to continue I'll go to bed instead ready for the start line at 1030.  I'll live to fight another year.

60 marathons (and ultras) in 10 months?  That's 3 a fortnight.

The LG - sorry to hear that.  We're all going to be slow going round that mountain by the looks of it!
  • Options
    "60 marathons (and ultras) in 10 months"

This year for me:

Ibiza Marathon
    6-hr event with Phoenix Running

And that is it. :)
  • Options
    Yeh, we should just have a jolly party around the majestic mountain. Pint in Beddgelert anyone? :)

• Options
    Great to hear what you are all up to guys and thanks for all your kind comments on the blog. Trex I'll pray for your shins to mend. Sounds painful and not something that usually goes away overnight. But miracles can and do happen! And you are definitely taking the right approach in thinking about a somewhat sensible plan B. Such is your lunacy that we now call 'just' a double SNOD the sensible option  🤣

Chimney great to hear from you and about all your adventures this year. Loved your comment about your colleague looking on at the smoking, fish and chip chocolate eating runner!! You are truly unique! Don't change! But do take it easy this weekend mate so you can get the most from Snowdonia and really enjoy it. I think we all owe it to ourselves to save enough in the tank and so stand on the SNOD start line raring to go! Good luck. 

TR22 sorry to hear also about your injury. Perhaps more just a case of taper madness ! Your training and results this year have been mighty impressive. 

And Brer that once again is a crazy amount of running and racing. I honestly have no words to sum that up. Just incredible. And to not be injured from all that running and impact is marvelous. 👍💪 

9 days to Go! ! 
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Nice to see nothing changes in this neck of the woods...!

I’m actually glad that changes can’t be made to entries anymore or I’d be in danger of saying ‘sod it, I’m joining you!’ ;)  I’ve been doing a reasonable amount of plodding over the last year, but nothing over 10miles since last years marathon - which unlike my previous outing I really enjoyed and felt like I was back in the marathon groove.  However, for whatever reasons (mainly just life, and the fact that I didn’t enter, decided if I wanted to do the race I’d get a place come August/September, which then meant I didn’t even think about training...) I’m just not in that place at the moment - not that that stops that little niggle saying ‘go on, you know you want to ;p’ maybe I *will* be back again next year...

I’ll be there in Llanberis on race day though ( mr panad is likely to be joining the party at the back of the pack given his lack of training/hip niggles! ), so will hopefully see some of you at least... not long now :D 
  • Options

60 marathons in 2018 - wow, I don't think I've done 60 races since taking this running lark up in 2006!! A clubmate just chalked up his 100th marathon to join the 100 club the other week - I thought he was going some!

Best wishes to those with niggles - hope you're OK for a week Saturday. I must admit that 2-3 months ago I really didn't think I'd be on the start line for this year's race (not injured - just struggling with the running - not comfortable at all - something wrong with my gait given very uneven wear on my trainers - trainers only lasting just over 100 miles!). Plugged away as I didn't want to miss it this year (special one for my family) and have built up the mileage steadily - now running pretty comfortably and looking forward to the event - hopefully with the similar to the current weather in Snowdonia!!

• Options
    Looking at the 10 day forecast for Llanberis and Beddgelert it looks like the rain clouds will be chasing from behind and you could stay dry if you run fast enough 👍😜 of course even a 1 day forecast provides no certainty whatsoever as to what may fall out the sky come race day! But fun to hope! 
  • Options
    I'm trying to contrive a plan that the Cheviot Goat is my 400th race.
  • Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hey, John Bach. Good to hear from you! Just a thought for you-have you tried ON CLOUD trainers? Totally awesome but you need to look at them first as they may not suit your needs. Regarding weather forecast, I don't trust them any more so its just a case of being prepared and being safe with the kit you have. Panad, brill to see you back in the forum, may see you at Y Pantri at some point xx
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm lost for words.  Unbelievable.  Just read in my local newspaper yesterday about a runner who is going to be doing four laps of the Snowdonia marathon, starting on Friday afternoon, with three laps before the main event, and then will go off to enjoy a few beers with his mates, before having a well-earned rest. 
    But that runner isn't me.
    Someone else is doing the Quad Snod!!?
    This person is from Lliswerry Runners, Newport, and intends to do the whole 104.8 in 24 hours.
    My target is 26.5 hours including 1.5 hours of rests.