Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    P&D = Pfitziger and Douglas who wrote a book called 'Advanced Marathoning'. A lot of people swear by the plans (I find them too hard at my age). The book is really good in explaining training principles so is well worth a read.
    Thanks for that.

I am currently buoyed by my last few 5k outings but realise the gains will plateau out eventually.  Would love to post another PB at December's race and then look to carry on with the training for the half at the end of March.  I still have huge doubts sometimes though concerning the pace I have to run in order to get the time I'd like.  I have to keep telling myself I'm new to all this and still establishing that base level of endurance/fitness.
  • Options
    Yeah everyone will plateau eventually - whether by maxing out on the amount and quality of training they can fit in, or just by growing older. In your case I think you should suspend doubt -  if you took yourself a couple of months ago, would you have doubted you would be running sub 20 with ease on a breezy day ? I think you can now look back and see that doubt would have been completely unjustified, and so is this current one about the half in the spring. Trust your body to respond considerably to the training !

Here's my progression over 6 months or so:

In Jan 2014 I was running around 20-25 miles per week. By March around 30-35. I would say my training then wasn't optimal and I was running in what now feels like a pair of clogs ! You are much younger so I would say you have every chance of running a really good half in the Spring.

• Options

It stands for Punish and Destroy.

(Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas)
  • Options
    Interesting stats and a great improvement on your HM time muddy.  Thank you for the words of encouragement.  You're right, a few months ago before I started training properly I never would have thought I'd be running sub 20 before the year was out.

Easy 7 done today.  Absolutely chucked it down.  Didn't take my waterproof jacket with me to make things worse.  Fun all the same.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I remember the days well when every time Muddy ran a half marathon he would be 2 minutes faster than the last time!!!

David, P and d books are a very good read as others have said. I have the advanced marathoning book and faster road racing. The schedules are very tough in my view. I followed the entry level 55 mile schedule for London 2014. The clue is very much in the title of the book and I wasn't near advanced back then!!

Tommy, I assume you didn't make Pitchcroft?

Well done on last weeks training, Mcf and good luck with the schedule.

A fairly light weekends training after Friday, left me feeling rather refreshed going into today's session of 2k at 10kp (90) 1k at 5kp (3 mins) Repeat, (3 mins), Repeat. 9k volume in total. Plan was to start at the lower end of each pace zone first time around and progress each time. I pretty much did that with the 2k efforts starting at about 6.16 pace and ending about 6.10 pace. The 1k efforts came in 5.59, 6.00 and then a final disappointing 6.12. The 2k efforts felt quite controlled, it's that step up to 5k pace that puts me in my discomfort zone.

Easy 8 tomorrow then very little happening as I role into Sundays 10 miler. 

• Options
    I've used P&D for two out of three marathons and PB'ed each time so am following the tried and tested. I think it's a decent approach with enough mileage and some long tempo runs.  I may have to adapt it but one of the benefits of the same plan is having baseline data on how quickly you respond to training etc

That session sounds horrible, DT!  Not surprised you struggled with the last 1k.  

David - I'd agree that you are only at the start of your journey and have loads of scope for progression, probably with fairly minimal increase in training load at this stage as long as you are consistent and train sensibly.    

Yesterday was meant to be 8 with 4 at LT but needed to fit into my lunchbreak so did 6 with 4 at LT.  Felt ok and speed a little ahead of what I was expecting which was good.  Got up at an ungodly hour this morning to do a 4 mile recovery run in the rain.  So early that I had to take a head torch as the council turn our streetlights off before 5:30.   9m tomorrow morning, again pre-work so another early one.  I might try an off-plan flat Parkrun on Saturday to see where I'm up to as bit uncertain what my paces should be at the moment.  
  • Options
    Hard session again DT ! How are you feeling after 3(?) of them ?

Blimey McFlooze, getting up in the freezing cold early hours for a *recovery* run is proper Eye of the Tiger stuff ! Well done on the threshold efforts and good luck for tomorrow am. Have you started on the P&D plan for Manchester now, as that sequence of runs seems vaguely familiar ?

Nearly 20 miles up for me so far this week. Mostly easy but went for a double fartlek run on Monday. I was feeling frisky, so peppered the lunch run with some faster bits then went for it again in the evening with some speedy hills.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Yea good ol' P&D has served me well but it is a bit brutal, some of them LT sessions had me on my knees almost !!

I found Daniels a bit less so, with LT runs being a bit slower than what i'd consider 'proper' LT, i think maybe LT + 15 seconds ? Still challenging but obviously feel less fecked at the end. Nevertheless, i certainly had fitness gains from it.  

Still feeling Sunday's 15 when i woke on Monday so i've switched to evenings and Monday came out around 45 seconds a mile slower than normal so a proper recovery run. Last night was noticeably quicker with a pal and i took the opportunity of doing a longer one with company.

6-10
  • Options
    I've used P&D three times; I get round the more difficult LT runs by just not bothering doing them.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice commitment, mcf. mot easy getting up and out in dark before work.

Looks like this time the comeback is on, Mace.

Muddy, decent fartleking. I find these faster sessions actually leave me feeling much less battered than higher mileage at a slower rate. not a surprise as when I followed the run less run faster system religiously a while back my legs felt great. Ad I said then I think faster running suits my gait more. 

Delving into stats now available to me, Tuesday's session my garmin ground contact time percentage was very close to 50/50. 8 miles at 8mm today and it was more like 52/48%. 

Easing into a taper now for weekend then few days recovery and back at it for main goal (Brass monkey and operation sub 83). 

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    I remember being impressed with Lit's cavalier attitude to P&D LT runs. I don't think i bothered at all with them for VLM16 and ran mostly easy with a few Daniels sessions scattered about for some variety.

DT - I'm not sure about a comeback but i'm confident ( bar injury ) that i'll be on the start line in April. Never paid any attention to the ground contact stuff myself as i expect it's ok if you're there or thereabouts but worth looking into if you were something like 10/90. 

May sneak a short one after work as i have my eye on a 50M week

6-10-6-5
  • Options

From front page of site - does this mean it didn't go very well?
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    :) I never go on the front page of the site but I'm usually pretty fkt after running my Fastest Known Time anywhere let alone over 7 days on a 230 mile trail through ice, snow and ice cold rivers.

36 miles up for the week so far - sounds like nothing compared to the above. I'll have a break from running until the race Sunday morning (a biting wind is forecast).

I have to enter races for the threshold parts of marathon training, though for Hull I don't recall doing much threshold work until very late on, when the penultimate big run was 10m mp and 3m threshold (and I did that within Kenilworth half). Edit: Oh yeah, and a parkrun at threshold.

• Options
    Hello. Me again !

10 miles at threshold for me this morning in 58.20. So a minor 6s 10 mile pb to report ! I am distinctly happy with that after getting utterly drunk and not sleeping at all with erm... food related illness ... on Friday night.

The race was held under pretty blustery conditions and I felt like I was running a lot slower than I actually was. However going through 5 miles at 29.10 and seeing a lot of people from the 5 mile race finished ahead of me gee’d me up as I was called out 4th in the 10 mile race. I made a big attempt to close the gap to 3rd in the final three miles as I felt strong, but just couldn’t make it.  Delighted to pick up 1st v45 trophy and a £25 Argos voucher though. That’s Christmas presents for the family sorted ;) ! Good to catch up with DT a bit at the start and then for a 2 mile cooldown run to take it to just over 50 miles for the week for me.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, muddy!

i put in a lacklustre performance annoyingly. i felt crap in the warm up and in the first downhill mile as i struggled to run faster than 6.20 pace i knew it was going to be a battle. 

somehow i clung on to a reasonable pace to run 63.40 and miss a pb by 14 seconds. Mile 9 cost me it!

I lay some blame at fridays work party also. 

Thats 3 distance pbs of 6 this year (5k, half and mara) so in that respect its not the clean sweep ive managed for last few years though my cumulative shortfall in other 3 distances is 29 seconds (5 mile- 10 seconds, 10k- 5 seconds and 10 mile- 14 seconds). 

Onwards and upwards though with Brass Monkey in a mere 5 weeks. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Good work muddy, you must be in for a huge pb one day when the stars align with (rather than against) you !!

I took an SG style F-OFF having done an extremely ploddy 3 miler on Thursday evening. I intended 4 but had had enough after 2 and it was sooooooo slow !!

Then on Saturday it was a similar story for 3 miles, right leg was aching and i was fighting the urge to turn back home. I didn't cave though and shortly after things improved and i ended up with a 16 which was rather pleasant on the whole if you take out the start and the last mile up hill. 

Resisted the urge to top the week up to 50 yesterday evening as i think the signals on Thur/Sat were that i'm probably at my limit at the moment

6-10-6-5&3-0-16-0 = 46
  • Options
    Well done muddy.  

I had an abysmal week's training as spent 4 days drinking in Croyde Bay.  Did manage to get out for a few long walks but I'm treating it as a low mileage week.   Back into the swing of things today and going to test out some new running shoes.
  • Options
    I spent much of Saturday bemoaning the demon drink David. No way could I tolerate 4 days at it !

I saw the official results had me at 58.18 on chip ... so, Mace, I'm happy to upgrade it to a huge pb now :) Take it easy - hope you can let the aches and pains settle. Cross train ? I enjoyed my cross training session at the gym today watching the highlights of the European Cross Country from the comfort of an elliptical :D 
  • Options
    Nice total for last week mace.  I really like how you thought about turning back after 3, didn't, and ended up with 16.  I found myself feeling similar today after about 2 miles.  Had a bit of a late night last night at a charity evening (with more beers) and just felt tired all day.  Ended up just getting it done though with an 8.

5.5-8  for the week so far.
  • Options

Morning.

Muddy - good work on the huge 10 mile PB. You seem to be going well at the moment, are you in for THE marathon next year?

DT - shame you just missed out on a PB but still a decent time and you achieved your main goal for the year. Looking good for a PB attempt at Brass Monkey too.

Mace - good mileage. Don't push it too much, plenty of time to build for London.

I've continued with some jogging about generally getting to about 30/35 miles/week. The only run of any note being a parkrun sandwich on Saturday morning comprising a muddy 6.5 mile warm up along a footpath next to the River Soar-a muddy Loughborough parkrun @about MP (felt more like HMP effort)-and a muddy 6.5 cool down.  Was enjoyable for the first 14 or so miles but then became a bit of a slog...still a good way to kick start marathon training.

7-0 so far this week.

• Options
    Yes, Tommy, I am doing Hull  :D 

Congratulations ;)  on starting the endurance work. I started mine two weeks ago, with a nearly 15 and a 14 last weekend. I'm going to have to get a bit more in through the rest of December :( The weather may have other ideas ...
  • Options
    Well done DT and Muddy. Those are both excellent approaches to PBs - save one for next year, or get a massive/8 sec PB to keep as an easy target for next time. :)

Meanwhile I am back over 50 miles per week so starting to feel a bit fitter. Not as fit though as my shiny new Garmin thinks I am. I bought a 235 in a black friday deal because my old watch was having trouble finding the satellites and my running pal neighbour Fifi was getting annoyed standing around in the cold waiting for me. I am particularly enjoying the Wildly Optimistic Race Predictor feature.

Oh also I am getting a puppy.
  • Options
    The 235 is a great bit of kit literatin.  I find that if I start the GPS whilst indoors and then walk outside it's very good at picking up a signal straight away.  

Good luck with the puppy :smile:
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Are you bouncing out 20 milers yet !? Congrats on the new family member, dogs are the best :-)

I've had a bit of a setback unfortunately.

During my long run on Saturday, I trod on something that made a crunching sound and it caused me to yelp like a puppy ( topical ! ). My foot immediately felt hot and i feared it was bleeding so turned round to check what the offending item was and it turned out to be a bicycle derailleur. As it wasn't glass i carried on and it felt ok for the remaining 10 miles. Monday morning it wasn't feeling right before and after a 5 miler, then i had to cut short Tuesday's run as it was worse.

So no running since Tuesday morning but it does feel better today so i'm hopeful it's nothing.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Oh good, so Mace and now Lit will both be beating me in London again this year!!

What's your VO2, Lit? My pb plan wasn't quite that, however it does indeed make things easier next year!!

Hopefully it'll be fine in the next day or so, Mace.

Easy 12 for me last night. 7 planned over lunch.

• Options
    Ouch, sorry to hear that Mace! Do make sure you pay attention to any weird symptoms and don't get sepsis and die like that woman on the Archers. The furthest I have bounced recently is 13 miles, but the running is feeling quite smooth and easy again, and I've been doing more regular sessions and racing xc. I love long runs though. Bounce bounce bounce.

Haha, my actual VO2, DT, or my pretend VO2 from the watch? Latter is 59 - based on a couple of weeks worth of easy runs, a couple of sessions, and a not-very-impressive-but-okay cross country race. I think it's because I have a high max HR (and yes, I know wrist-based monitors are less accurate than chest straps, and no, I don't care).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, your pretend one of course, which sets all your race predictions.

I always find it strange when I have just raced a half (for example) and my vo2 goes to say 60 and it predicts I can run a 1.18 half, when I have just run one so hard in 1.23 that it has given me a 5.0 training effect and recommends 72 hours recovery!

• Options
    mace - I take it you checked everything over when you got home and couldn't see anything untoward?

lit - agree with you on the optimistic race predictions.  My 235 has me doing a marathon at 3:05...  nope!
  • Options
    Well, on the other hand, your 5k PB is much faster than mine when I was able to run a 3:06...
  • Options
    I think I may be better at the short distances.  Depending on how the half in March goes I will perhaps look towards a full.  One step at a time though :smile: