Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,

The weather is lousy and I've opted out of going for a run, I've no races lined up for the rest of the year, so won't do any harm.

WtnMel, well done increasing your monthly run total! How did you calculate your total ascent on fetch? I always include my ascent details on every run, but I can't see where they are totalled up.
    Excellent golfing performance, and more to come hopefully once you get your new clubs.

I did a 5.1 mile road run on Thursday into the teeth of gale force winds. It was a real struggle, not helped by legs "wrecked" by Wednesdays spin session.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Columba - something that made me think of you which you may have seen already? Someone posted this on the "Things You Want To Say But Can't" thread - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :)

I had a few 'chores' to do earlier on (sort out bathroom light switch; chop bottom of xmas tree trunk to help water take-up; move chairs from spare room to loft) and I have to wrap up the xmas presents for the family get-together tomorrow. However, if I have time before our evening meal, I'll go out for a run later.

HS - I went to my training log, clicked on the selection arrow and selected '2018', then clicked on the 'Summary' tab ..

• Options
    MokshaeightMokshaeight ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Woke up in the middle of the night, mind racing and could not go back to sleep. Sooo I added up all my mileage for this year, with 5 weeks ish off with a bad back and still 1 month to go I have run 1, 268 miles. 

Still not tired Sooo added up last years mileage and I ran 1678 miles.

That got me back to sleep . 
  • Options
    Morning all,

No rain this morning and very mild.

WtnMel, I'm impressed with you being able to type in full that Welsh Station Name. I bet the spell checker was going wild  :o
    Thanks for the help with the "ascent details" etc. I have done 123 runs, 1016 miles and an ascent 6868 metres.

Moks, well done with your mileage so far this year, especially with a 5 week lay off. I will have a look at my running stats to see what my best annual mileage was since I started recording on fetch.
  • Options
    My best year for mileage was 2013, when I ran 1899 miles. I started recording on fetch in 2007, but believe that I must have run further than that "back in the day."
  • Options
    The last two days I have had some illness leaving me feeling knackered and I have come out in pox like rashes.I took some paracetamol.
    How ever I did the 10k today in 52.44 and I placed 34 over all and in the v40 men I placed second.

• Options
    Gosh. All of you who know your mileage! Also, when you see it, it looks so far. When you consider all the mitochondrial activity of our muscles, joints, aerobic systems etc. and the force (Newtons) of pounding along - the stress. It makes the human body a remarkable piece of kit, and the various human bodies here particularly remarkable. 

Mokshaeight. Do you often have trouble sleeping? I really do. I lie awake all night worrying about anything and everything, then fall asleep about 7.00 in the morning. 

WtnMel: Well done on the golf. You'll be unstoppable when you get your new clubs. I can see how you find it difficult to mix running and art. 

I was in London babysitting this week so did quite a bit of walking. In total I think I'm as woefully clueless as I was 36-odd years ago in dealing with tearful tantrums, food aversions, refusal to go to sleep and other baby and toddler challenges. Who knows what the secret formula is?

I suppose I should go for a run again this week.  

• Options
    Morning all,

Haven't read back yet but will later. Ran a marathon yesterday in very windy conditions with lots of mud and managed to do it quicker than 10 days ago finishing in 5:07:53 despite going out way too fast for the first lap and having a major blip after halfway :smiley:
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Mok - who knew counting up mileage could be so sleep-inducing :)

HS - glad my screenshot helped you find out your stats. I thought I could make a reasonable stab at pronouncing LLanfair PG until I met my friend's neighbour who IS Welsh and put me right.

Damien - sorry to hear you've got some sort of lurgy .. and well done re your 10K result.

Exhausted - I've been keeping various spreadsheets with a log of my running since I started again in 2007. Obviously I 'hope' the new clubs will help me improve my game. The main thing is they'll be more 'forgiving' and I may get away with some 'duff' shots. The rematch is scheduled for Wed morning and I expect my mate Alan will be out for revenge and hoping he plays a bit better than Friday.

Red - well done for running your marathon in windy conditions especially if there was mud involved. I expect you'll pace yourself better next time eh? Btw, I see Hipps recently managed her first marathon for a while after a few injury problems.

I didn't get out for a run at the weekend - will head out again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Damien, hope you are feeling better today, and well done for your 10k result, especially when not feeling 100%.

Exhausted, I log all my runs on fetch, which is how I keep track of my mileage, race results etc. 
    On the subject of babies, I had lunch today with Helen and baby Lara aged 6 months. Lara was a little angel, she never cried, but smiled the whole time. 

Red, well done for yet another marathon in a cracking time, you seem to be "improving with age!"

WtnMel, hope you manage to beat your friend Alan at golf again on Wednesday. Are you still bowling, or is that a seasonal occupation?

Ran 8.5 miles on roads this morning with Sarah F.
    I won't be attending spin class tomorrow morning, as I'm having a new wardrobe delivered in the afternoon, and want to spend the morning emptying the old one out.
    I'm typing this in near darkness, as I decided to test my touch typing skills which I learnt as a teenager at night school. Back in the day, we had to erase errors with a circular hard eraser, not easy with 6 carbon copies. Things improved with the invention of snowpake,  electric typewriters, then word processors and phones and laptops etc in the modern era with the magic delete button. The reason for my bringing up the topic of typing, is that I found the portable typewriter that my father used to use at home, in the bottom of the old wardrobe. I've resisted the temptation to try it out, as I remember the keys had to be "hammered" to produce legible type. 
    Apologies for the waffle :|
  • Options
    Just popping in to say hello, I haven’t been doing much running lately (a very slow 4 miles today being the first outing since last Monday’s slow 2 miles), but weather, life etc always seems to get in the way. However it’s always cheering to see how everyone else is doing. 

Congratulations to Damien on a great result in your 10k, sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather though, hope you are feeling better now. 

Moks / Exhausted. I’m also a very light sleeper and once awake I find it very difficult to get back to sleep as I toss and turn while my thoughts go racing around in my head. I wonder why so many people have that problem? 

WtnMel - I like running and I like Art - but keep them separate. Apart from anything else I wouldn’t like to look around a gallery all disheveled and sweaty, seems a bit disrespectful to the other gallery goers. Good luck with the golf on Wednesday.

Much respect Red for running a marathon in windy (and muddy) conditions. A four mile XC is as much mud as I can cope with, and I hate running in the wind, which is partly why I haven’t been running much lately. Fortunately there was no wind or rain for a change when I ran this morning, although it was bitterly cold. 

HS a new wardrobe is a perfect opportunity to have a clear out of clothes-you-haven’t-worn-for-ages-but-don’t-like-to-throw-away-just-in-case. Well done on your touch typing skills. I taught myself to touch type some years ago (using Shakespeare’s Sonnets) when off work suffering from stress. I was determined I was going to have a change of career, but never did, just went back to my civil service job.

We thought we were finally making progress with our house builder regarding the snagging list (of faults in our new build home), but today we were told that in order to fix a problem with water hammer our ceilings need to come down as the pipes under the upstairs floor haven’t been fastened down properly. Dreading this as the plumber has admitted it will make quite a mess. On the plus side though, after a group of us local residents contacted our MP the builder does now seem to be making an effort to attend to everyone’s problems/complaints. Next week we’ll have been in our new house a year, certainly didn’t expect all this hassle and stress when we first moved in. 
  • Options
    Normally sleep quite well, but as of late waking up in the early hours with things on my mind that I am struggling to sort out.

Well I have a quarter  of a tank of fuel and no local petrol stations have any fuel, due to the Gilet Jaune blocking the refineries. 
    So no visiting the track tomorrow ,need to do some short sprint training. 
    Aquarius, I had to take my new front door down and plain it as it would not shut because it had swollen due to the rain we are having. Wrong time of your to have your ceiling pulled down.
    Redhead , excellent  marathon time 
    Damien ,well done on your second vet 40 placing 

Hillstrider, I too would be always over the 2,000m a year Quand j'etais jeune 

• Options
    Red: Well done, indeed, on that Marathon time. You're really doing well.

Mokshaeight: There has been quite a bit of coverage of the Gilet Jaune movement here and the opposition to Macron. I heard this morning that he's suspending the fuel tax. The French certainly show political opposition in a different way to us. I was told by a French customer once that they don't have paving slabs in Paris anymore because of the 1968 riots and the fact that they were ripped up and used as missiles. Having said that, I've seen quite a few paving slabs in recent years. I also learned, yesterday, that under French law you have the right to go missing/disappear after the age of 18. Is that correct? 

Damien: That was a good 10k time. I missed it when I was reading back.

WtnMel: No doubt you're limbering up and getting yourself in the right frame of time for tomorrow's battle on the golf course.

Aquarius: The house situation sounds awful. It's good that your MP got in there. How will you manage without ceilings? 

HS: Like you I've come through every iteration of typing technology in my working life. I once had an electric typewriter that caught fire when I was typing the first page of a thesis. (I'd borrowed it off someone). I remember the first wordprocessers and the fact that you could auto-correct. We all gasped in wonder. I look at the screen and not at my fingers. Is that touch-typing? I read somewhere that liquid correcter was invented by Mike Nesmith's mother (he of The Monkees). Are you having to build the wardrobe yourself from flatpack?

I'm looking out at a rather cloudy cold landscape. I have to go out and do some chopping in the garden as Mr E has not been out with the roaring electric cutter thing due to being busy with work. I'll do it all the old-fashioned way with loppers and shears. (Cross-training!)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Evening all,

HS - we normally bowl indoors this time of year (short mat bowls). The floor in the corner of the clubhouse was sinking - investigations began the week before last and dry rot and wet rot were found. So no bowling until that has been repaired (luckily the council own the building and we just lease it). Well done re your 8.5ml run. I got all nostalgic reading about your old typewriter - I had a manual one for a while which was thrown out some time ago. But I have a horrible feeling the electric one I treated myself to as an 'upgrade' might still be lurking in the loft. Goodness knows why I think it might still come in handy!! I've tried several times to learn to touch type but have never persevered enough. I had a software program called "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" I tried using in the past but it doesn't run on the latest laptop. 

Aquarius - glad to hear you managed to get out for a run. That was my thought - why visit an art gallery in a sweaty mess? When I thought I was going to be losing my IT job I chose something completely different for a new career and trained to be a massage therapist. However, the job ended up being safe and with a house move and other things going on, I didn't continue with it. Now I'm retired I don't need to do it for money. But sometimes think it would be nice to refresh my memory and re-learn the massage routine. One of my friends (who was one of my case studies) said she'd be happy to let me practise on her again. Sorry to hear about your continuing house problems but it sounds like some progress might be being made.

Mok - from watching the news, sounds like the demonstrations are coming to an end so hope things will soon be back to normal for you. 

Exhausted - correct .. I'm psyching myself up for the re-match and will be wearing my 'positive attitude' head for the golf! Looking at the screen whilst hitting the keys certainly sounds like touch-typing to me. BTW, use of loppers and shears definitely sounds like cross-training to me!

I ran earlier today - only did 4mls as I wanted to save my legs for the golf tomorrow (assuming it doesn't get rained off!). On Sunday it was sixteen years since Margaret and I first met (our first date). As we're not married, that counts as our anniversary. We were seeing family at the weekend so today we figured, sod the cost and we had lunch in town.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    After a phone call last night including a look at today's weather forecast, we cancelled today's golf. And we can't find any suitable days before xmas where we're both available so it looks like the re-match will have to wait until 2019. On the plus side, my new clubs should have arrived by then and I ought to have had a chance to go to the driving range to try them out so I can start the new year afresh ..
  • Options
    Morning all,

It's dull and wet, but very mild.

Aquarius, I'm having a good sort out of running t shirts as I have so many, and the new wardrobe isn't  as wide as the old one.
    There's been a lot on the news about problems with new build houses, and occupants being made to sign gagging orders in order to get them rectified.

Exhausted, I also look at the screen whilst typing, and consider it to be touch typing. 
    The wardrobe certainly wasn't a flat pack as I wouldn't have a clue how to assemble it. I did, however have one in my maisonette in Liverpool, but a friend of mine did the assembly.
    Gardening certainly counts as cross training.

WtnMel, when I was learning to type on an Imperial typewriter at night school, I also had to learn how to calculate tabs. This was quite tricky and could be time consuming. We had to learn all the symbols used by a writer to correct the text etc.
    Congratulation for your 16 years with Margaret.
    Shame you had to cancel your golf match, but as you say, with a little practice with the new clubs, you should be able to beat your friend.

O2 is down throughout the world, so I'm typing this on my laptop, as wifi is not affected.
    Tomorrow evening I will be going for a meal in the Italian Restaurant with my sister and 8 running friends to celebrate my birthday. 
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Morning all,

A rather subdued Redhead here. Another of my very close friends has major health issues again. Poor Karen has had  so many horrendous health issues in the 40 years we've been friends that you'd have thought the gods would have given her a break after her massive heart attack at the age of 52 but no, at the age of 58 she is now dealing with breast cancer and the whole chemo mastectomy package. My heart goes out to her and I wish I could just pop along to see her as in the old days but we're now hundreds of miles apart. Carpe diem everyone.

Trying desperately to remember what I've read with apologies if I forget something:

Aquarius, I can't believe your house is still awaiting repairs and I really feel your pain with all the ceilings having to come down for the repairs as we had to do that following subsidence. I remember us sitting on the floor in the hallway amidst a pile of rubble and sacks of plaster etc, drinking wine and looking up at the rafters in the roof and thinking, it can only get better! Let's hope it isn't too painful for you xxx

WtnMel, glad to hear you've been running but a shame your golf was cancelled. However, you'll have plenty of time to practice with your new clubs :smiley:

Exhausted, excellent cross-trainng my dear! I've got leaf raking to do today as there are loads of them on our gravel drive and they're very wet so perfect to bag up for leaf mould.

Moks we've got a swollen door too as teh rain has been relentless. Hope you found some fuel eventually and that things are calming down over there now.

TE, you seem to be going from strength to strength. Have you a target race in mind yet?

Damien, excellent time for your 10k, well done.

Thanks for your kind words about my marathon time but I'm a long way off where I was at the start of the year when I would always go sub 5 in a road marathon. My training over the next few months is going to be a fine balance between getting faster and going further...................
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - I think I assumed you were getting another wardrobe rather than replacing the current one. My current one is from Ikea so definitely flat-pack! (and if the proposed swap of bedrooms happens, I hope they still do the same make/model/colour so I can get a matching on if there's room for another). I don't have that many running t-shirts myself (10-15?) but I do seem to have a lot of other clothes I have to cram into the existing wardrobe and chest of draws. 

Red - sorry to hear the bad news about your friend Karen .. as you say, carpe diem. My friend Joan (whose husband John was only 50 when he died due to heart problems) certainly lives by that maxim these days.  

We had our running club (Thu group) xmas lunch yesterday which was very nice. Unfortunately, I've heard this morning that the restaurant we used is closing down on 22nd Dec :( 

My eyes have been tested this morning. I didn't think much had changed since the last time (Oct 2016) so it was good to get that confirmed and that means I won't be needing to fork out for any new glasses which is good. 

Golf update - my friend Alan says he can manage 9 holes on Tue 18th (weather permitting) - so we may manage to fit in one more round before the New Year. I hadn't heard back from Josh who did my custom fitting and ordered my new golf clubs. I just phoned the club and (a) he's on holiday (b) they have a large box with my name on it! :) So now feeling just a tad excited and hoping to go and collect the new clubs if the package I'm currently waiting in for arrives .. 
  • Options
    Redhead: Very sorry to hear about your friend. Breast cancer, I believe from reading, is one of the better success stories when it comes to cancer recovery, so fingers crossed for her. 

WtnMel: 18th December eh? High Noon!

HS: There was a time in my life when I seemed to do nothing else but put flatpack furniture together. There is always one bit where you seem to need an extra arm and the strength of 10 weightlifters! (the diagrams make it look so easy!) You do get out and about socially! Italian restaurants.

'Been a strange sort of week where I've achieved very little.
  • Options
    I have had this crappy virus thing and its only just getting better now.
    I was going to do the Fleetwood park run on Saturday but with 45mph winds I am going give it a miss,I might do the one on the 22nd.
    I am however going to have to do some speed training as I am too damn slow.

• Options
    Have lost a good friend this week to C, and another is struggling with it !!

Well a 8K race tonight at 2000Hrs blowing a gale outside, was hoping for a good time, never mind, few beers afterwards will help. 

Damien, speed training ,speed training and speed training always helps, so our club coach says .

Exhausted , achieving very little is becoming quite normal, hope I am not getting into a rut.
  • Options
    It's taken me a long time to catch up with this thread.
    Very sorry to hear about your friend, Red. As somebody (above) said, breast cancer treatment often has a good outcome. It did in my mother's case, certainly (she was carried off by something entirely different, at thge age of 91).
    Astonished to hear that being red-headed is actually a disadvantage in getting, ornprogressing in, certain jobs. Red-headedness should be a "protected characteristic", like being gay, or pregnant.
    Happy birthday for yesterday, HS. I remember the fun of trying to correct typing errors with snopake. When word processing was invented, it was a miracle, and I did wish it had been available when I was writing essays and stuff for Uni; I was forever changing my mind about where I wanted paragraphs to go, and having to rewrite or retype the whole thing. A friend of mine who had trained as a secretary taught me how to touch-type, but I never did it properly. Did speed me up a bit, though.
  • Options
    Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Well a 8K race tonight at 2000Hrs blowing a gale outside, was hoping for a good time, never mind, few beers afterwards will help.

Nice race and a few beers sounds great.
  • Options
    My mileage for the year will probably reach 350 (only about 4 miles off that now). Doesn't really compare with TE and Red... However, mileage in the first few months was very low, as that was when I was doing the back-to-the-beginning bit with a C25K; might manage 400 miles in 2019.
    Damien, is that illness the one you referred to earlier, with the rash?
    WtnMel - I can say that Welsh name! Without even having to read it! It is actually a complete descriptive phrase, and was invented solely for the Victorian tourist trade. Somewhere I have a photo of my children, all 5 of them, spaced out along the name on the station platform.
    I'm not long back from a short visit to London, staying with Eldest Son, his wife, and their utterly gorgeous 4-month old son. A lot easier than Exhausted's experience with the Terrible Toddler (or Toddlers); that will come, no doubt. I got in a run in Greenwich Park while I was there.
    I have been known to run to church (2 miles) for a weekday Mass, and back home afterwards; wouldn't do it for a Sunday Mass, as I feel I have to look respectable, but so few people attend weekday Masses, I think the priest is glad of anyone, even sweaty eccentrics.
    Suggestions for getting back to sleep: I have tried counting, identifying prime numbers as I go. Beyond 144 it gets rather difficult, and I fall asleep. Also tried going through the alphabet, thinking of words/names in various categories, like plant names.  
  • Options
    I have a water pipes problem too. A leak. The plumber has stopped the leak, and is coming back in the new year to finish the job, which will involve taking up the bathroom floor, and also redirecting all the pipework through the loft rather than under the floor, because he said the problem will only recur, since it's down to the pipes having been installed too near to the "floating floor" in the first place, and with inadequate cushioning (or whatever) between floor and pipes. (It's a bungalow; bathroom and everything else is ground floor). 
  • Options
    I think I've said all I want to say. Hardly any of it was about running. Someone else can have a turn now.
  • Options
    Columba said:
    Damien, is that illness the one you referred to earlier, with the rash?

The rash thing is called "pityriasis rosea" I have had a minging like flu thing all week to go with the rash.I'm getting better by the day so I will be running again this week sometime.

• Options
    Morning all,

I've been suffering with a nasty cold since Tuesday. It started Tuesday evening with a very sore throat, and Friday evening, after the dinner, when I got home, my voice went completely. I'm feeling better today, but my voice is still a bit croaky. In the circumstances, I haven't run since Monday.  :'(

Red, sorry to hear about the major health issues with your friend Karen. 
    I've no races lined up yet, and the only races I've done this year are three half marathons. They are Salisbury 54321, New Forest and Oakhaven.

WtnMel, glad that you enjoyed the club's Xmas lunch. 
    Good news re your eye test, and hope your golf clubs arrive on time.

Exhausted, I did assemble a book case by myself, and am still using it, so am pleased about that. I remember being advised by the seller to buy extra wood glue, as that supplied was often not sufficient.
    The meal on the 7th was very nice, but there were only six of us, as a couple had to pull out. We were given the window seats, which are "the best seats in the house!"

Moks, sorry to hear the bad news about two of your friends.

Columba, thanks for your happy birthday wishes. You are right that priests must be pleased to get "just anybody" into their services these days. I remember in my younger days, it was Sunday Best, and women had to wear hats.
    Reciting the alphabet backwards is a suggestion for getting to sleep quicker. My dad could do this very quickly, but not as a way of getting to sleep.
    Sorry to hear about your problems with a water pipe leak.

Damien, good to hear that you are getting better now.
  • Options
    Was hoping for 38 mins and ran it in 37.51, 5 mile hilly course, with wind in your face going up the same hill 4 times. And I got a prize of 2 pairs of compression socks, just for turning up, yippee 
  • Options
    Morning all, haven't run today as the rain is torrential and the wind is blowing too strongly to be safe. Knitting counts as cross-trainig doesn't it?

Moks, sorry to hear about your 2 friends. It's great getting older and winning things isn't it - I've had 4 age category wins this year only because I was the only person in my age group! I love my compression socks for long distance running.

TE, did I forget your birthday? Sorry xxx

Damian, glad to hear you're getting better.

Columba, hope your leak has been sorted now. I too play word games when I can't sleep. LOL at redheads being a protected species - I was always jealous of my sister who had the hair together with freckles whereas I just had the hair. I got very excited about 20 years ago when some 'freckles' appeared until I realised that they were age spots!

WtnMel, hope you enjoy your new golf clubs.

Right, back to my knitting.