Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TR - funny my version doesn’t, but I would hate to toe the line and thinking that I hadn’t done a 20 for 5/6 weeks. Can’t have any doubts when the gun goes.

Jb good session last night.
    also top mileage for you (and LMH)

oo - when does Paris fall? 

I went to Pilates last night! Anyone else partake? Kept cramping after that long run but I enjoyed it and there must be some benefits to running / swimming / cycling 
  • Options
    Pilates and/or yoga is on my list of things that I 'should' be doing WTGY but I haven't actually made it part of my routine. I struggle to make myself go to the gym once a week for a basic 'try to stop age related muscle wastage' strength routine.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - sorry to read about your Dad. Fingers crossed it goes well for him today.

Menn - rotten luck.

Joe - looking very good for London.

Haven't really managed to keep up/read back properly. Hope things are well with everybody else. I've not managed much running yet this week (43 as of this morning), but hoping to manage a few more runs before the week is out. Doing Manchester next week, but as a training run. Thinking of possibly a Canova style 90-95% MP but nothing definite yet either way.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    WTGY - 14th April, so soonish but not yet looking at weather forecasts!  (has a quick look at the forecast, sunny, 16C tops, 9C at start, smiles in relief, awaits TR control the controllables post and advice). 
    LMH - Same here.  A few random stretches every few days is fine isn't it? 
    Joe - 3.29, how things have changed.  Yes, it will first time since 2005 when they saw me stumble down the Mall to finish in 3:00:31-ouch.  We've got an addition since and thankfully I've got quicker.  First time running Paris, and staying around the Bastille area, really looking forward to it.  Less so the 2 days then in Disney!  Bank of Dad getting a hammering.   
    TT - Interesting how you go at Manchester, as your training run = my full pelt!
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR -- quite right on the food, I am trying consciously to eat more this time. Before Chester in October I got lighter than usual, but was also slow, so maybe I let myself fade away. My legs have been obstinately rubbish all week despite that though -- I just unwittingly overcooked it in my Sunday run I fear, doing what I've got away with fine in previous campaigns.

Rest day for me today, just a few core exercises and a modest ride to work, rest again tomorrow. I'm planning a block of MP-ish tempo in my long run this time on Sunday which hopefully won't wipe out my legs like the attempt at a few reps did last time.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    WTG - crab does pilates since he had disc trouble. That or yoga is a good thing imo. Id have stuck to 15m myself.

OO - i have my own controllables to control on the same day, you can worry (or not) about yr own. Happy to say i havnt looked any further fwd than the weather for tomorrows long run. Heat or not shouldn't be as much of an issue at the seaside for me, wind will be the enemy, and i have absolutely no control over that.

CW - yes, more calories through sunday foolowing your run would be good......or switch the days off to mon and tues, maybe the days off before dont help robustness?

5m easy early doors. No hospital news expected until later in day.
  • Options
    I hope that you've had good news TR.

I've got a bit mysteriously lighter too Charlie - but it doesn't seem to have affected my recovery.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    OO - I did Paris a few years back. my 5th favoutite Marathon route. I recall the last few miles being tough, but it was pretty hot that day. Saint Michell is well worth a stroll one night
    WTGY - I tried but was so bad I gave it up. I wish I could get into it.
    Joe - Nice session there, shaping up nicely. - Good luck on Sun

Slimfast milkshake with banana and peanut butter after any challenging run for me.  My diet is absolutley pants though - excepting alcohol temperance since last July.
  • Options
    Banana and peanut butter is the food of champions Mennania - though I often go for peanut butter on toast with an apple.

Last day of the good weather today - forecast to get chillier and breezier again from tomorrow:-(

Hope CC2 surprises herself today and has a good race.

I know Joe is racing tomorrow - anyone else racing this weekend?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    My Dad was in theatre a long time but is ok apparantly, im allowed to go visit later.

Menn - thats a good post run snack.

LMH - surely the weather cant be getting too bad? It was frosty yday as it was clear, its still early in the year after all. Plus its an uncontrollable.

18 with the last 3 av 6.40, although that was pretty much as fast as my legs would go. Time to ease right off now. Got a bit of a tight hammy - maybe from all the driving lately, but its not the one that spoiled last year.
    Had a count up yday, 14x20 (inc 3x23), approx 30 mlr, and 25 x 10 since the start of december. Im in a better place than pre Abo. 2 weeks til the B of the bang.
  • Options
    Hope your dad recovers well TR. Weather is forecast to get cold and blowy again which is going to feel worse after a week of nice weather (we've had a frost the past few mornings too but the days have been warm, bright and still, it's been lovely).
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That's good news about your Dad TR and glad you were able to knock out a decent run.  Yes, more rest is the formula now.
    Menn - Whats your 1-4?  Banana and peanut butter sounds very tempting as are the beers and surprisingly the gin and the beetroot I am eyeing up in the fridge to celebrate the start of my 2 week taper.  15m today, 7 w/up @ 7.10-7.15 and 5 @ mp or thereabouts 6.15 and 2 mcd.   
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Decent 18 there TR specially with the other stuff going on right now and well in sub 3 shape if you can pull out 3 at the end at that sort of pace i think.  Hope your Dad recovers ok post op.
    OO you sound in great shape!  good luck in Paris.  u seem to be missing a mile there before Padams mentions it though, if i'm reading it correctly!  I did a similar run on Tuesday, a 15, but split it up as 2m wu, then 5 at MP HR (6:17s) then 1 mile easy and then another 5 just going as hard as i could really (came out at 6:03s) then 2m cd.  Was happy with that but not confident 6:17 will really be MP come london!
    I did the Hyde park LFOTM 5km yesterday (17:17) thought i might be able to go quicker but seems i am limited around that level as i have done 17:16 twice and 17:17  twice now and a couple of others v close as well!  Then today planned to do 23 miles but bonked around 19 so only did 21.  The first 20 were average 7:15 so not too bad.  Finishes another big week for me (78).  
    Plan is rest tomorrow then (since i am off work for 4 weeks now) i'll try again for a 23 miler Monday, then maybe 15 Tuesday, before i won't be able to run for probably the next 4 days due to travel to NZ and family stuff.
    Menannia bad luck on the toe - hopefully back to it soon.
    TT good luck at Manchester too, and good luck for those racing this weekend (JoeB and CC2 i think?).

i seem to be bonking still a lot even though i've now done 8 20+ mile long runs and plenty of miles for me in this training block for london.  Hopefully its just because i am not taking any water/gels/carb loading for them, and always at back end of for me quite big weeks, and it will come right on the day when tapered.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - most of my running misses any heat of the day. Still dont think itll get too cold now though.  I wouldn't worry about weather for training, i just look the night before a eun so i know how many layers I'll need.

Good pace there OO esp the 6.15s

Selbs - good pace in the 5k and long run. When i was doing 17.30ish for 5k, i was running pretty quick over longer distances. Probably correct re the bonking, ive tried a different approach this time and fuelled my long runs, so they take less out of me. We'll see what happens race day.

I struggled a bit to run today, felt pretty tired at first, burned a few mental matched this week i suppose.

My dad was sitting up chatting a bit, amazing after 8 hrs of surgery yday. He needs to learn how to function without a stomach now, but wont have any worries sbout watching his weight from now on.
  • Options
    Do you eat breakfast before a long run selbs? I don't usually eat or drink during mine (unless it's very hot) and don't have any issues.

TR - it just makes it miserable. I feel the cold badly and suffer in the wind so I much prefer running when the weather is good, that's all. We have a forecast of feels like 1-2C at the time I'd usually start running of a morning which is more than cold enough for me. Good news about your dad.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good to hear your dad is doing well TR.
    OO - Chester 4th and then valencia with London and Berlin fighting it out for top Spot. I change my mind on which Is my favourite.
    Selbs - I know that 5k is the one race that I dont gain any improvement on when in a marathon cycle. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i understand, id rather run in good weather, but its an uncontrollable, so not worth the mental energy.  If it ever gets too grim then just give yourself a day off. You do more than enough normally. Im pleased that winter marathon training is done for me, Abo and Yeovil training wont need as many layers, a hat or layers of gloves.

I need 5m tomorrow for 320m, which will keep up my better than 10m/day average that ive maintained dec, jan, feb and march.
  • Options
    I really hope you get the time you've put the work in for TR. I'm looking forward to training through the summer - it's usually about right for me when everyone else is complaining that it's too hot - and hopefully the FiL situation will be resolved in as much as he'll be settled in wherever he's going to end up.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - you deserve a bit of luck; you've put the hard work in.
    Selbs - sounds like you're in good shape; have fun in NZ.

Plenty of good training going on, with a few creaks cluttering up the bench.

Didn't do a very good job of tapering in week -3 for Boston; cut out a couple of morning easy runs, and trimmed the midweek MLR down to about 13/14 miles, but still racked up about 90 miles, after a run of 100+'s.  Really going to pull it back for the last fortnight.  Went for a blast at parkrun today; really busy (600-odd) on a 3 lapper, so the last lap was lots of weaving and wide turns.  But managed 17.12 after a hard first lap, which (surprisingly) gave me a highest ever WAVA at over 83%.  Looked up the marathon equivalent, and it's safe to say I won't be running that  :'(
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    DanA I did the same thing with WAVA after all the chat on here, and was much the same and agree re marathon equivalent as well!!! Also sounds like you are in fine fettle. Definitely ease back now for Boston.
    LMH I have been just having one piece of toast with honey in the mornings around 6am then heading out about 8ish.
    wow TR that sounds a tough op hope he recovers well.  Take care in your last couple of weeks now u have done the work!!
  • Options
    Sounds as though you're in good shape Dan. I tend to keep the mileage much the same until the last two weeks now though given how tired I'm feeling this morning I may adjust that this year.

selbs - could you tolerate a bit more than that? Obviously I'll use less calories than you for an equivalent run but I tend to have about 250 calories at least an hour before a long run and that sees me through fine.
  • Options
    Race well today Joe - I'm looking forward to reading all about it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    If only sub3's were awarded on coursework rather than an exam.

Dan - thats a sharp 5k too.

Marathon time is nearly here, SJ will be in action this time next Sunday.

Ticked my 5m box. This week should be around 50m. I might need to get some sleep in this week as my youngest is 18 next sunday, and has a few late nights planned for the following week.
  • Options
    Youngest TR? I bet that makes you feel old!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am old. When i first started posting on here I'd go eunning after the kids had gone off to bed, times change. I wouldn't run in the evening any more.

I see that Speedy was well enough to run yday. The lady that i ran most of fleet with has had a busy week there, she did the xc, 10k and 1/2.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TR said:
    If only sub3's were awarded on coursework rather than an exam.

Quick pop in as I find you lot all a bit too serious to a casual runner like me ;) , just to put a big :D to that one!
  • Options
    Yes, made me laugh too SG.  Trust me, most of us aren't too serious on here...

Joe - sorry, I read it that you were stepping up mileage, I didn't realise you were already hitting the ton-up weeks on a regular basis.

Nice 5ks there Dan & selbs.  I'm the other way round, 5k WAVA scores are way lower than I get for anything over 10 miles.  Very frustrating at times.

I had a day off running yesterday, doing my first stint as run director at parkrun.  A good laugh actually, even though there's quite a bit to do when all's said and done.  Then another 21 this morning while the mum of the house had a long lie-in.  Definitely getting towards shelling peas time.  One more next week should see the dough nicely proved and ready for the final baking.
  • Options
    TR - glad to hear things seemed to go well with your Dad. I'll be in Brighton spectating as well as Manchester next weekend, so people need to give me some guidance on who to look out for! I can guarantee I'll give out a good kick up the backside. 

CD - great work on the RD stuff, I'm trying to give back where I can, think it's really good to get involved in things like that. Not long now.

Selbs - some great training there, hope the flight goes well, have an awesome time.

Dan - You've really put in a shift mate, can't wait to see how you go.

Went to Sizewell parkrun yesterday as we were staying down there with my grandparents before todays duathlon. Obviously I got carried away, but shamefully just did the bare minimum to get a win (sorry - first finishers token..), sitting on the poor chaps shoulder for 4.7km while he quite clearly drove himself into the ground before easing past with the finish in sight (18:55). What a w*nker.

Main event was today. We all knew we were playing for 2nd place when professional triathlete Joe Skipper (7th pro in Ironman World Champs last year) showed up for a bit of fun. Everyone went off like lunatics on the first run as per, and I was sitting in about 10th after a mile, managing effort accordingly.

Got a real buzz when I went through the first 5km in 17:30, feeling awesome (run distance was a random 3.3 miles). Hopped on my bike in 5th, quickly moving into 3rd and yo-yo'ing with 2nd for the 30km bike leg the entire time. Averaged 24mph and 285w for the 50 mins which was slightly down on last year. 

Guy in 2nd was crap at changing his shoes, so I slipped into 2nd and tore off, hoping to put a bit of daylight in early doors. From here on in, just running scared (he ran 10 seconds faster than me on the first run), but instead of looking back I'm frantically asking random spectators how far back he is. I'm getting mixed reports, anything from '10 seconds' to '200m', so just get on with it and run hard.

There's a point at about 2.5 miles where you can look back, and thankfully he's not there. Biggest buzz of the day when I go through the 2nd 5km in 17:30 after an hour + of hard work. Got to have a look at that 5km PB (16:57) in the near future. Enjoy the last few hundred metres and take 2nd for the second year in a row. 

Really pleased with that off another relatively big week (87 miles). Two more of those before properly pulling back before VLM. Can't wait to see you all there. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - thats cos we are funny guys (and gals).

Well done on the 21 CD

Nice one Joe, shame Mr Skipper showed up. All support appreciated at Brighton, I'll be the big sweaty one in a dark blue T shirt. I'll post my number up when i know what it is. Im going to collect it on the friday.
  • Options
    Apologies for a skim read. Good news on your dad TR, and yes, if only the coursework was enough! I've put in the work but it's just not producing the results. Barely scraped sub 90 in the half marathon on a course that saw lots of PBs for others. I hit a hill and it's like there's a bungy cord pulling me back down it. I used to gain loads of places on hills, now I'm dying a death on them and even after the hill is over it takes a good while to recover. There were two hills of note, and the Strava graph thing shows me dying, slowly recovering, dying again, then slowly recovering again.