Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    That's part of the reason I changed my avatar TR - so Joe knows who to look out for! I'll probably have an old top over it until the last minute at the start. I'm planning on a similar approach for Sunday; 7:30s then a stronger finish. And sounds like we have similar targets for Brighton, although I don't think sub 3 is an option for me; just want a strong, consistent race.
  • Options
    @TR they do offer them, I have to decide by end-May though. I'll see what happens at Liverpool! 
  • Options
    There's always Yeovil TGO - TR is going to be there and it's now looking as though there's a chance I may be too.

Glad you're happy with your diagnosis TT.

I always race for a PB TR, the problem at the minute is that my training isn't indicating I'm going to get one but with the marathon you never know what you're going to get on the day do you? Unfortunately just when I thought things were close to being resolved and stress was easing FiL have heightened again. I'm sure it's not helping.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    It's not really a deferral at Brighton when they charge you pretty much full whack again - that's just another entry...
  • Options
    London do the same though EE.

Has everyone seen this? Looks as though we may not be getting a final instructions magazine in the post. https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/london-marathon-events-aims-to-become-world-leader-in-sustainable-mass-participation-events/

Can't see how having a cape means you don't need a bag for after the race? No way I want to run with a bottle belt either!
  • Options
    Hey folks, 

Not been on for a while - absolutely swamped at work last two weeks as a deadline approaches. basically been doing 12 hour days on top of my 90 minute each-way commute so the taper came at just the right time. Just grabbing some minutes now at the end of lunch to visit here as D-Day approaches on Sunday. 

TT - great news re the diagnosis. I'm certain it will make a massive difference to you and you can make adjustments as necessary. Shame about Mcr. Would have been cool to put a face to a name. Another time for sure. 

TGO - Likewise, pleased you are on the mend and can totally understand your frustrations at dns at Brighton. Re-build well. I have never run Liverpool but I know a few who have, some of whom wouldn't run again due to exposure to the wind (its always windy in Lpool) and the undulating course. Anecdotal as I say so perhaps seek out some other opinions online etc. 

Mennania - sounds painful. Sort of glad I have feet that will only allow me to run in wide fitting asics and not the slender performance shoes that some of you guys and gals run in. 

Joe - hope you are feeling better. Scary incident for your partner. Glad nothing sinister from doc visit. 

Right. So. The work is done. Have made it without catching a cold or feeling anything too alarming. So no excuses. I can confidently say I have never trained so well or consistently in any previous campaign. Looking back at all my sessions and HR data, taking into account the taper 6:30's look possible. However, that would be if everything went amazingly. I'm more inclined to chip away at my previous times and go for 6:40's using my 'don't be a greedy so-and-so' mantra. 

A club-mate also said good training deserves to be honored in the race. Hmm. 

In closing. I think I will do the obvious, set off cautiously optimistic and if having a good day... try and go for it. I'll post up a running vest pic with number for those also in attendance when I get home. Stevie, wtgy I've met so be sure to say hello at start or at the end. I'll be gently warming up past the start line on Talbot Rd and will mill around at the end for a while. 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SJ - I will keep an eye out. I will try and post a picture of my vest later. My debut in the Green and Gold of Knowle & Dorridge! I'm aiming to run 6.35s so we may be around the same pace again.

TR - Sorry to hear about your dad and glad the op went well. Your Brighton prep has been hugely impressive and hopefully you get the result you deserve. I think you have ran more long runs since Abingdon then I have ever done!

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    SJ - good luck in Manchester; you deserve a good race after the training campaign
    TT - probably a wise decision to dns. You know your body best; and it seems to suffer more than most!

TGO - re. Liverpool; last year I accepted a late invitation to be the 3 hr pacer.  There were only about 30 runners sub 3 out of a field of 3k+ so fewer than 1%.  I had a group of about 15-20 with me through half way, but only half a dozen by 20 miles.  I was on my own by mile 22 and by mile 24 I realised that it was a bit needless to overdo it, so jogged in the last couple to finish in about 3.01.  You'd probably be running alone or in groups of 2 or 3 max if you're going for a PB.  It's a bit hilly heading away from the river/coast as inland Liverpool is a fair bit higher.  I remember hills about about 7 and 14 miles, but you get the corresponding downhill as you start & finish in pretty much the same spot.  A decent enough race and course, but there are quicker and busier ones out there.
  • Options
    Thanks @Dan A @saintjason for the heads up. Reviews i have read elsewhere say similar. I would have gone for Yeovil but we are in France that weekend. I am a bit limited in choices needing to be by end-May, UK, and can be there and back overnight (because CHILDREN). Not expecting a super fast course, just enough to get under 3. There seemed to be a handful of clustered 2:53-55 finishers last year, certainly more than Worcester so that's my thinking.  
  • Options
    Do they LMH? I remember deferring London one year but don't remember paying again. Even if I did it was about half the price Brighton now is!

Best of luck for Sunday SJ! Just looked to see if there was an app for MCR but I see there is live tracking on the website so I'll keep any eye out if I'm indoors. 
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Go well SJ,WTGY&SW 
    TT -
    Great news you can plan your way forward now.
    TGO - Edinburgh 26 May? GFA still open til end of april

RE shoes - I would happily bin them LMH except the stiff plate in the sole takes a lot of pressure of my big toe so they serve a purpose at the mo - beyond rehabilitation however they are not for me. Dont have the same scale of issues in the VF4 even though very similar shoes

Foot seems to be holding up quite well so hopeful of another decent few tready sessions, back to the doc and an x ray on Weds and all things being good can then start eyeing up a short term programme (4 week block) for Edi. 

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Hi all

Haven't been online for about a week so afraid I haven't read all the way back, but did notice the good news that TR's dad seems to be recovering well.

Rubbish week for me. On Saturday afternoon mini-P was very sick and then very unresponsive all day Sunday, just sitting quietly, staring into space. Sunday evening a paramedic came and decided to take him to hospital. Very dehydrated (couldn't keep any water down), low blood sugar etc. and he ended up on an IV for 4 days/nights and only got home yesterday morning.

The worst bit was the fact that they couldn't get a vein due to the dehydration - not fun seeing a 2-year-old being repeated stabbed with a needle. He was very brave for the first few attempts but then started to get fed up. Eventually they had to inject into his bone, which I'd never even heard of before. They recommended we leave the room at that point as apparently it's not something you want to watch....

Anyway, he now seems fine but Mrs P and I are not feeling good today so we may have picked it up!

Fortunately I did a decent run on Saturday morning (11M finishing with a 17:40ish off-road parkrun). But only 2M this week with the dog on Monday morning (we put her in kennels on Tuesday to make life easier).

To top it off we have builders in the new house sorting the loft out so very noisy and lots of mess. At least I have no races planned for the next few weeks.

• Options
    @Padams gosh, sounds like a very rough few days for you and the family. Thank goodness it sounds as if he is on the road back now.  I wish mini-P a very speedy recovery and hopefully you and Mrs-P's feeling off is just the coming down from all the lack of sleep that you've suffered this week!? 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about mini P. They only use the direct into the bone when really necessary especially for children, poor mite. Hope you and Mrs P don't come down with it.

Hope you have a great race sj, WTGY and Stevie - I look forward to reading the reports.

Makes sense Mennania. Hope you can bin them soon. Have you got your toe taped to the next one for support?

Definitely EE though as you say it's relatively cheap.

A shame about Yeovil TGO. Have yo had a look on here: https//www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-64-2018-uk-marathon-listing
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    EE - ill look for the beard then. Although we are best off just finding jools, you cant miss him.

LMH - agreed, the life stress may have an impact on race day. Ive found myself getting a bit upset at times.

SJ - you are in a good place, i hope you have a good day. 3 back to back campaigns and the best camapign you have done. The good thing about using the P and D approach is the enforced short easy days. I dont like them but i think they work well.

Steve Wh - hope you go well too, would be great to go well after such a shortened build up  and set you up for the autumn.

Padams - blimey that was a worry. Not a nice watch as a parent. Hope life settles for you all.

TGO - shame re yeovil, could be a few of us there.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Scary Padams. Hopefully you're through it now & it's just the stress you & Mrs P are feeling.
    Glad your positive about your diagnosis TT. Good luck with managing it.
    Sorry to hear you won't be toeing the line TGO but not surprised given the disruption to your training.
    Menn speaking to a friend in the pool Monday I noticed his toes were taped together so asked about it. Broken toe from stubbing it on a night-time bladder release. He'd run the 15.5M fell race I did last w/e with them like that! He's an orthopaedic surgeon :D

Should be easy enough to spot me EE though I won't be looking quite like this ;)

I'll be sporting a blue & white MIND vest as I'm raising money for them as usual for my Spring marathon. This'll be my 10th year of fundraising for them: 6xVLM & 5xBrighton - doubled up in 2016 even though they were just 7 days apart. PB'd at Brighton then got a London PB too. Bettered the latter in 2017 but the Brighton PB still stands but is due to be bettered in just 9 days.
    Had a super light week with just a ploddy 10M on Wednesday & a 10K on the treadie today: 6x800m at 6:00 off 400m at 8:00. That got the legs stretched out & managed to get the HR up to 172 too which is 7bpm higher than I've managed in any race recently so hopefully the taper is doing it's job :)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to the Manchester runners, SJ, SW, WTGY, hope the weather gods are kind to you (looks good at the mo :))
    What an ordeal for you all Padams, I hope all is well from now.
    TGO.. shame about Brighton but you know your own fitness so prepare for another when you're ready.
    TT.. good & bad news rolled into one I guess.  One of the girls in my club has had fibromyalgia for over a year now.  She is a long distance/off road enthusiast and is VLM bound this year so it doesn't seem to have affected her activity much so far.  Best of luck with it.
    Menn.. I quite like my treadie for short recovery runs as it feels like less impact than outside.
    Hope the Brighton boys are enjoying the wind down, just avoid poorly folk and stubbing your toe. :/
    Another 10m yesterday, easy 5m today as I plan a full tilt Parkrun tomorrow with a run home afterwards to make it up a long run.
  • Options
    Jooligan the poster boy  :) Good charity. I always raise money when I run London too - CRUK for me this year.

Forecast is looking good for tomorrow.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Best of British to SJ, SteveWh & WTGY in Manchester. Conditions looking good. Have good runs guys and really enjoy the experience. DBS.
    Jeez Padams, glad your little one is OK now and on the mend. Not an experience you want to go through as a parent especially when you feel so powerless. 
    TT - That's good news you finally know what has been causing you this long-term grief.  Your still a super fast marathon runner.  Upwards and onwards.
    TGO - A hard decision to make but that does sound a good call with Brighton.  
    Rest day today and 12m with 6mp as final 'useful' run tomorrow.  Feeling in good shape for Paris, with one eye on London. 
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
     Padams-great news the little one is ok. A horrible few days by the sounds. Hope you and the missus are ok.
    Jools-you look too happy by half on that photo. Im finding my toe manageable but wouldn’t fancy anything not on a tready at the moment 
    its buddy taped and mummified LMH. There’s nowt I don’t know about strapping a broken toe now!
    9 in a tad over an hour last night. I’m in danger of getting into the 30s this week which would be a result
  • Options
    Padams - crikey, glad mini padams is on the mend. Scary for you and Mrs Padams.

Jooligan - nice poster! Read the race description and it sounds horrifically tough. You are a warrior mate.

Last little run this morning with some surges. Legs felt a little stiff first half mile but soon loosened up nicely.

#595 for anyone interested in a stalk. Although the weather looks good tomorrow so I expect everyone to be out there doing a bit.

I love the fact this local fixture means I get to sleep in my own bed. Makes such a difference.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds good, hopefully you are freshening up.

Menn - good news.

SJ - ill be following, im only on short runs now.

12m inc last 3 av 6.40 today. Legs felt terrible in the first 9m even at over 8mm, so i guess thats  good sign. Made sure i did the 3 faster miles with the wind. Physio freed my back up and ssid my hammys were in good nick on thursday, so o i was surprised by s bit of a hammy spasm early in the 3m, but it settled so i carried on. Hopefully just a bit of tightness from the massge, brought back horrible memories of Abo as it felt like cramp.

46 for the week. One week til the B of the Bang.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow SJ if I don't see you .

I am 1741 for tracking purposes. Heading up to Manchester shortly
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Manchester

SJ 595
    WTGY 1595
    StevieWh 1741

Fantastic picture Jooligan. Shelling peas.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one OO, I'll have a look when i get back from my (not very) long run. Exciting times now the spring races are upon us.
  • Options
    Nice pace Mennania.

Cotton wool time TR. How's your dad doing?

Conditions look good for tomorrow - make the most of them boys!

Well, in a strange twist I had my fastest run in weeks/months this morning, just felt as though everything was flowing, still slower than the last two years but a welcome break. I obviously just needed more miles (biggest week of the year so far) and new shoes..............
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That's encouraging LMH, and I did hear that girls like new shoes. ;)
    I assume that's your last double digit run TR, good work and cotton wool time beckons.
    Menn.. nifty pace for 9m &  good news that the toe is holding up.
    OO.. hope the run goes well tomorrow and the taper is without incident.
    Fingers now crossed for the Manchester crew, go smash it chaps.
    Felt out of sorts at the Parkrun today, heavy legs and breathing all over the place.  Almost managed to hang on to my recent 5k pace but it felt like very hard work.  Stuck with the plan to run home but as the legs weren't happy took the shortest route to total 13m for the day.  No point in flogging a tired horse. :/  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yes im all done. Short runs only now. Plenty of horses with tired legs today.

LMH - yay, hopefully that will give you a boost. He was quite unwell a few days ago with a lung infection, and they were getting worried about him, some anti biotics helped, but he has dipped again and has some stronger ones now. Needs to get well in order to get well.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that TR. I hope they can sort him out soon.

Time to take it easy Wardi?

I was planning to do my last LSR later this week but looking at the weather forecast it's getting windier as the week progresses but should be nice out there this morning so I think I shall head out and hope the magic has lasted overnight.

Race well today guys!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Will read back when not on a mobile, but good luck to the Manchester crowd today! DBS!