Options

Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi PT_71 welcome to the forum.
    Let us know your pen and we'll add you to the runners list.
    The absolute best location is anywhere within walking distance of the Arc De Triomphe, as this would make it within walking distance of the start/finish.
    I've booked the Astrid for this reason
    The metro system is superb, so if you can't get close then the next option is somewhere on a direct line to Charles De Gaulle Etoille station. That is the stop for the Arc and serves both Metro and RER (local rail) lines
    I know quite a few runners are staying in the Ibis in Montmartre.
    A word of advice. When reading a description of a room, you should always mentally add the phrase 'for Paris', as rooms are never big or cheap. So if you see a room described as large, you should read that as 'large, for Paris'. A large Parissean room would be considered as cosy elsewhere.
    Same goes for somewhere that is 'cheap'
  • Options
    PT_71PT_71 ✭✭
    Thanks Orbutt for the info
    as for the pen, is that the time you put down as an expected finish?
    Cheers
    PT
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread PT_71!
    Paris is easy to navigate thanks to the Metro. Depending on your budget there are plenty of options. The easiest and most expensive location for the start/finish is anywhere near the Arc de Triumph. That would put you within walking distance.
    Anywhere on metro lines 1 or 2 will give you direct access to the start/finish area. Being a single lad I tend to just go cheap and cheerful. I stay at the Ibis in Montmartre, which is next to a couple of stations for line 2 which takes about 10/15 minutes to the start area. The trains are frequent, so there is never an issue getting to the start.
  • Options
    phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I stayed just off the Champs Élysée for 2019 and it was quite expensive and a bit dead on a Sunday night. For 2020 I’m going to stay in Ibis Montparnasse and get the bus to the Champs Élysée which will be about 28 minutes. Close by to Montparnasse is Saint Germain des Près which is lively on the night. 
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PT_71 yes, if you let us know your projected time we'll identify your pen
  • Options
    PT_71PT_71 ✭✭
    > @Orbutt said:
    > PT_71 yes, if you let us know your projected time we'll identify your pen

i'm looking for 3.59 :o
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Preferentials 

Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PT_71 You're in the Purple Pen, which is apparently where the cool kids reside.
  • Options
    PT_71PT_71 ✭✭
    cheers all for the advice/info
  • Options
    Line 6 is also a good one to stay on as it’s quieter, especially if you use kleber metro rather than Etoile.
  • Options
    Two mile run completed yesterday.  That’s doubling my mileage in a week.  Watch out Abraha Milaw...I’m coming for you.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DLR. Careful mate, at this pace you'll be doing enormous mileage when the race comes around 😁
    Glad nothing fell off.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    If he keeps on doubling the weekly mileage he'll be able to run to Paris and back home again!
  • Options
    Orbutt - how’s recovery going?
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DLR Two steps forward one step back. I've still got a point of pain in the Achilles, if I give it a prod.
    I can walk without pain but it doesn't feel right.
    i was actually considering a small run tomorrow but I did 10 mins on the exercise bike on Tuesday and it was aching afterwards, so I won't risk it.
    I've got to be patient but it's not my default condition.
    Luckily (?) I don't have any races booked for the rest of the year, so there's no time pressure.
    Have you doubled your mileage again this week?
  • Options
    Slowly, slowly catchee monkey and all that.

I did 4 mile today and really enjoyed it.  :-)
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Doubled your mileage again 😁
    The enjoyment is the important thing.
    I did 20 mins on the exercise bike and felt buggered afterwards. Amazing how much fitness can be lost in a relatively short time.
    Mind you, I have taken advantage of the lay off by stocking up on unhealthy foods 😂
  • Options
    Think of it as training for carb loading maybe?

It’s why I’ve put on so much weight - I eat rubbish when not training too. I need the discipline.  Lost 21lb since start of March though :-)
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Wow DLR. 21 pounds is some serious weight loss. Sounds like the return to running is working wonders for you.
    This also means that by the time we get to Paris,  along with your training runs being immense you will be the size of ant.
    (Maybe showing my age here but do you remember the Arabian Knights cartoon on the Banana Splits? "Size of an Ant!)?
  • Options
    I'm doing Paris in 2020, and have recently bought my entry with their '2 participant special offer'. I did this to secure my entry now and get it a lower price (works out at £79 per person).

However... I haven't actually been able to convince anyone to use the second entry....

So... if anyone decides to do Paris 2020, then I'll shortly be sent the registration link for entry. Please let me know if you'd like to take advantage of securing your spot at the lower price!
  • Options
    Very entrepreneurial Graeme!  Welcome to the thread.

I do indeed remember the banana splits Orbutt. 😆
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    graemedc. Welcome to the thread.
    I'd never even heard of that offer, well done on spotting it.
    Let us know your pen (or target time) and we'll add you to the runners list.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread graemedc!

DLR - That's impressive weight loss. Great to hear that you're getting back into the routine again.
  • Options
    > @graemedc said:
    > I'm doing Paris in 2020, and have recently bought my entry with their '2 participant special offer'. I did this to secure my entry now and get it a lower price (works out at £79 per person).
    >
    > However... I haven't actually been able to convince anyone to use the second entry....
    >
    > So... if anyone decides to do Paris 2020, then I'll shortly be sent the registration link for entry. Please let me know if you'd like to take advantage of securing your spot at the lower price!

Mind posting that link here? Might well take advantage of that.
  • Options
    Its on the official website for the race, but looks like the offer was limited until 31st May.

However, I still have the second entry that came with my purchase, if you are interested?
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested/ bored/ want's a kinda-sorta race review from Paris '19, I've written something about my experience this year, mostly focussed on the psychology of race targets. Ignore the first few paras, they're aimed at the normal audience for my blog (I work in educational technology) http://domnorrish.com/?p=534
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dom. We all know that running is mental but it really is amazing how much of running is mental.
    I've not yet managed to stick with a plan during a race and often it's down to the little voice in my head telling me not to be stupid.

• Options
    StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    That's a really interesting piece Dom - its astonishing to think how much the mental can create an environment where you can achieve something so unexpected and incredible!

I can associate in a small way - I was in better physical shape for Paris in 2018 and I had a horrible race - my first marathon, I was thrown off by my watch being out of sync with the mile markers, my supporters not being quite where they said they'd be, the smell of sweat (I know that's ridiculous, but its the space my head was in!) and a hundred other ridiculously minor things.
    This year, I LOVED my race - none of those things affected me - I went out with a plan to keep my head up and count my way round beloved landmarks, rather than miles, read supporter banners, chat to other runners and high five kiddos. Any time it felt hard, I forced myself to smile and it worked - I was euphoric at the end and as hard as a marathon is, I loved every minute. 
  • Options
    Ran 7miles on Friday - 57m 40s. Pace 8:20/mi. A bit of a hilly route and running back into the wind for about 3miles. Happy with that.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Robbo. Hills and wind? Well done on getting out there.
    I'm finally back running after a 5 month lay off due to injury 😁
    My word, it's tough but I suppose carrying an extra Stone doesn't help.
    6.5k long run on Sunday, still plenty of time to build it up.
    I've submitted my medical certificate online and it's still showing as 'pending'. Dont they realise how impatient I am 😁