Options

The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Harmander!
    MrM2 - my toes were sore after the Streatham Common run - I guess the downhills were pushing them into the toe box. Just skin sore, nothing worse than that. Need to get my foot file out and deal with the hard skin.

5 miles total today - I decided I'd particpate in my club's virtual parkrun leage (given I was the one who set it up! I didn't join in last week as I wasn't feeling great).
    Did a mile to the quite road triangle I'd chosen, as it's mostly flat and quiet (nearly tripping over at one point and then passing two lads tagging a railway bridge). Then the 5K which I was very happy to run in 24:59, and then a mile back home.

YTD: 539
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Amazing day for running here. Met lots of regular dog walkers and runners, all very polite. Ran in the middle of one of what is usually one of our busiest and fastest roads (on the way to the coast)! 

Well done Harmander, 700 miles is really impressive.

9.65 miles

YTD: 314.4 miles

PS anyone else's 'phone picking out pictures from a year or two back just to remind you that you had a life?!?!
  • Options
    Well done everyone for keeping it going, impressive mileage.

14 miles today for me, back roads with almost nobody around...good boy me.

328 miles YTD. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... nice time for your 5k!
    TT and Hobie...road-runners...me too. Much better than pavements! Nice 14', Hobie.

As intended...an easy run today, to end my week. An easy 6' (checking out a niggly hip). All good. Had intended a 'cut-back' week; it didn't really happen. Will try again next week.
    YTD: 546'.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the 700 congrats.
    I am actually enjoying the brisk walk in the garden for an hour every morning before the run.  Re-measured the new 'route' to make the turns easier on the still somewhat dodgy knee (and I alternate the direction of travel every day too). Taking longer strides I can cover the new 45 m  route in 27 steps (only count either right or left leg so it is actually 54 steps in total).  Today I managed 8216 steps in an hour - yes, using my talking stopwatch. I made that 152 and a bit laps (6.846 km). - my best to date. I don't count this walking in my running miles total.

Yesterday I treadmilled 8.13 miles and did 8.14 miles today making my 
    YTD = 716.28 miles

Four weks since parkrun on a Saturday - getting severe withdrawal symptoms
  • Options
    We now have a 24 hour curfew in place, only one family member allowed out to go shopping and must wear a mask and gloves outside.
    Haven't run in 3 days now, wife has suggested buying a treadmill. Not sure about that. Can't believe watching sky news the number of people out and about in the UK. We now have this curfew in place to stop the spread, at the minute we have 1500 cases and 10 deaths from a population of 9 million which are mostly densely populated as the empty quarter takes up most of the country. Isolation seems to be working. 
    I'm off to be tested in the morning as one of our work drivers has tested positive. 
  • Options
    Harmander, well done on the 700 miles, and the garden 45m route, seems to be a lot of that going on at the moment.
    Dubai, hope the test comes back negative, l am the only one going out shopping, then we go out for a walk, or if l have been out, the wife goes out. The trouble is whilst it is quite where l am, l saw one person today, obviously in London and the bigger cities people have no where to go, not sure what will happen, what l can say is that our government isn't clear and as a result the building sites have started opening again, which means l will be back in London this week

Anyway out this morning for a early 5 in the pleasant sun.

Ytd 161.1
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice running, everyone.
    Good luck, Dubai - curfew sounds rather hellish. Hope you test negative.
    Well done, Harmander - I'm getting parkrun withdrawl too. Should have been doing Manchester Marathon today but as it's turned very warm, perhaps it's a good thing I'm not. I run my best below 14 degrees.
    12 miles for me today - I explored the Wandle Trail which was about half the run, and enjoyed that part, though the roads back home from Mitcham were less enjoyable, especially as it was getting warm, I hadn't thought to take water (I don't usually for runs under 15 miles) and my guts were starting to cramp. I probably should have passed on that second bowl of popcorn yesterday. :/

YTD: 551
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, l am currently following a online quarantine back yard last one standing, Adam Holland is doing very well, doing each 4.167 mile lap in around 30 - 35 minutes, he is now on lap 20! With only around 100 of the original 2500 left.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: hope the test is negative. Radio 4 have a feature 'from our own correspondant', your wonderful reports are remininsent of their style, interesting and appreciated. 

Cal: if you're looking for a very small silver lining for Manchester, it's to hot today for marathon running. 

Cal and Harmander: I'm another one missing parkrun, the first one back will surely be a joyous celebration. 

Dave: last one standing fascinates me, the stratagy and tactics, hare and tortoise stuff. 

No gym and lots of time, I'm jogging an interested number of slow miles. Enjoying it. 

Ytd: 333.1 + 10.1 + 5 = 348.2
  • Options
    Curfew at the minute involves lying by the pool. It's currently 34 degrees here. Doing plenty of swimming and still wondering whether to shell out for a treadmill. Online ordered food for the first time, normally my wife does it and sticks it on my credit card. Lots of fruit and steaks ordered.  What else does one need?

Been advised that my kids school trips are now cancelled so that's about £4k the school owes me, since they're on lockdown not sure when I'll see it.

David, can't believe that building sites are open, seriously??

Donnie, just checked the weather for Manchester, says 16 and will be a high of 19 degrees. That seems like perfect marathon weather, if not a little cool!!

Harmander, an ultra runner here did over 3000 laps of his garden to run 100 kilometers. There's a challenge for you!

It's nearly 3pm here so my kids will be finished school shortly and exiting their bedrooms for a swim.

Time to get back in the water...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dubai, that's too warm for me, honestly - I like it between 6 and 12 degrees really and definitely no more than 14!
  • Options
    I’ve measured out a 28 meter running track around my swimming pool. Didn’t want to ruin the grass so it’s all on the non slip tiles. 10 loops one direction, move a counter on the table I’ve set up and 10 loops other direction...
    you get the idea, 300 loops done, 300x28/1609= 5.22 miles

Test done, it tickles. 
  • Options
    YTD 515.52 miles 
  • Options
    Cal, bit colder here today, only 28 degrees...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You've obviously acclimatised, Dubai - 28 degrees would make me thoroughly miserable.

10 miles today - very pleasant and spring-like. I'm going to have to try and wake up earlier as, although it's very quiet at 6:30am, it is getting busy with runners, cyclists and dog walkers at the end of my runs.
    Went well today until I tripped over a kerb yards from my house. Toe is sore where I caught it and my hand stang a bit but no damage done, save to my dignity.

YTD: 561
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    5 miles yesterday afternoon before tea. Tried to run quicker, ended up 5 secs per km faster than my recent runs which were all remarkably similar at 5.15 per km.

I'm enjoying more road running and less time at the gym although I do miss the social aspect of the gym. Conversations are little more than 'did you go to the rovers on Saturday?' type stuff but I go miss them.

Ytd: 353.2
  • Options
    6.09 miles this morning, 350 laps of my garden track, followed by diving into the pool. Every 10 laps I move a yellow connect 4 counter across the cabinet which we have our pool towels in. After 10 yellow counters I replace with a red to signify 100 laps and start again....

350x28/1609 = 6.09 miles

YTD 521.61 miles
  • Options

After this morning's run I applied for a permit to go grocery shopping, just one member of the household allowed to go. I had to give my timeframe and strangely had to apply for a permit to return home, after 10 mins both were approved. So got face mask on, rubber gloves on and off I went. When I arrived one of the assistants sanitized a trolley for me and a man took my temperature, 36.1 so allowed in. Police were patrolling the road on the way back, I didn't get stopped. Kind of reminds me of growing up in Northern Ireland in the 70s and 80s, except the baddies wore masks then and not the goodies...
  • Options
    Put this on the comrades thread, but thought I'd share it here....

I used to live in Baghdad, I had a 4 kilometer safe route, couldn't deviate as there were still landmines off the path. It was a dusty rather boring route and you could go clockwise or counter clockwise, that was about it. Last week I was reduced to a 160m stretch of path that was private (the police were on it today) and now I have my own garden track of 28 meters. I move a yellow connect 4 counter on the table to the right every 10 laps. 10 laps replace with a red counter to signify 100 laps, and repeat....
    My point is, it keeps getting worse, how long before my route is my bedroom balcony!!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    DR I am 'enjoying' reading your posts, I have no idea how that would work over here. Yesterday I had to go 24 miles for a medical appointment, can back via Waitrose, no waiting and apart from no rice or flour every shelf stocked. It was lovely, shop assistants saying how they wished they could always restrict the number of people in there.

Run this morning was fab, 9.97 miles (yes I know) of sunshine and lack of people. Cal like you I am rising earlier to be back before the rush starts (up here that's three dog walks, ten bunnies and 50 pheasants!)

Donnie2 I also miss the social side of the gym, and the encouragement of the instructors, yes I can do a bike session on the turbo in the garage but not the same......

YTD: 324.37
  • Options
    Great to read the current posts, TT I agree, I was in Waitrose on Saturday and had the same comments.

Dubai, I am afraid our Goverment just wouldn't have the resources to implement those measures here, I might be wrong, but just can't see it happening, well done on the commitment, truly impressive.

As I posted the other day, Building sites here are beginning to re-open, and apparently are "implementing" measures to keep staff safe, I just can't see how that is possible where things like manual handling with a number of people involved are a common site activity.

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done, everyone, for keeping active. 
    Dubai... presume the 'tickle' was a good one, as your resourcefulness continues! 350 laps! 
    Cal... Take it easy; too much tripping going on. 
    Parkrun; can take it or leave it really. However, I'm stuck on 99 at the moment!
    Out just after 7 this morning for an easy 10'.
    YTD: 556' .
  • Options
    Sunday I snuck down the hill outside my house to the beach...weird to see ot empty...so 3 miles of barefoot reps...big toe felt odd & I noticed big blister across the whole pad...so rest day yesterday and got the bike out today.
    331 miles YTD. 
    Hopefully running again tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I don't envy you, Dubai - well done for persevering.
    MrM2, one of my club mates is stuck on 249!
    Donnie, I'm not missing the gym much but then I'd only recently started going again. I've been doing some basic S&C a couple of days a week at home but am a bit limited. Still, I managed enough of a workout on Monday to give myself DOMS. My right glute is still a bit grumpy!
    TT, I must admit I like the emptier shops too.

Another 10 for me this morning - I'm not on a plan at the moment so doing as much or little as I feel like. Enjoyable, as I've rejigged my route so I don't hit the common at the end of my run just as it's getting busier. No problems after yesterday's tumble - legs felt pretty decent.

YTD: 571
  • Options
    Was meant to fly to Cape Town today ah well but did 460 laps of the garden instead, 34 degrees and no shade. 

460x28m/1609 = 8 miles

YTD 529.61 miles

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Out again yesterday tea time so another 5.2 miles. Run passed the large hospital in Doncaster which makes you think. 

Really enjoying my almost daily run, find it hugely relaxing. As a bonus surely it must pay dividends in Sept / oct when hopefully events return!

Dubai: only one word, expect. 

Stay healthy everyone. 

Ytd: 358.4
  • Options
    Hobie, your beach story reminded me of my attempt at barefoot running when it was the craze about 2006. We were on holiday in Minorca, the first day at about 7am I ventured onto the beach barefoot, very few people about, mostly locals. I saw this woman running towards me, the closer she got the more she looked like Penelope Cruz, but I suppose she looked just like your stereotypical Spanish lady. Anyway as I came back along the beach there she was stripping off down to her bikini bottoms for a swim. I have to say that motivated me to be there at 7am every morning for a barefoot beach run, she seemed to be there every day, My wife commended me on my dedication to getting out running every day at such an early hour....
  • Options
    oh and btw I tested negative!