Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - the Queen video (I Want To Break Free) was the one I had in mind with my jokey comment although I didn't mention it :) Margaret and I do The Independent concise crossword every day (even when I see the answers to the cryptic one I still don't understand some clues!).

I managed to get up at 5:45am when the alarm went off and have been out and done a 5ml run - going to have my breakfast now. According to Fetch, it was my slowest run on that route. I put that down partly to weaving around other runners and walkers but I think probably mostly due to me being a slower runner this time of day and maybe because I was running on 'empty' as I didn't bother with anything to eat or drink before I headed out.
  • Options
    Wtnmel.
    Well done on the early run. Running on empty seems better for me, Sometimes when I have eaten I burp when running and I don't like that.
    How does the wind affect where you are?
    The wind here off the sea is a right pain in the bottom and zaps energy fast.
  • Options
    Good morning everybody,

WtnMel, I'm the same with cryptic crossword clues, and to be honest, can't really devote the necessary time to them. I was very keen on them in my younger days, probably because my brain was more active. I even purchased the "Daily Telegraph How to do Crosswords" paper back.  I've just managed to find it, and had worked my way about 90% through the various puzzles. It looks so complicated now, that I wouldn't have the patience to start over again.

Well done for your very early run this morning. There is no way that I could set off for a run, without any food or drink beforehand. 

Damien, as I said above, I've never run empty, but allow at least 90 minutes from eating before running. If it's a race, I try to allow 3 hours. It was very windy this morning, but it didn't effect me too much.

I ran another 5k this morning at a fairly relaxed pace, in 29.55, an average pace of 9.39 minute milling. Hopefully, I will be able to beat last Saturdays 27.12 this Saturday.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS: It seems strange now that back in 1981 the only way to enter the London Marathon was by posting a paper form to the organisers, and your chances of getting a place depended on when your entry was received. The envelope containing your entry might take two or three days to arrive, whereas a more local applicant could go to the race organisers office in person and pop their entry through the letterbox. With the advent of online entry everyone now stands the same chance of getting a place.

Haha, I laughed at the idea of WtnMel dressed as Freddy Mercury in that video. Now that is one photo I would like to see!

It is a pain when you have to keep hopping on and off the road to avoid others, that’s why I’ve started going out as early as I can for my runs. I’ve found if the weather is anywhere near being decent whole families are out for their daily exercise ration during the day, but if you can get your run done before 6.30am the only people you are likely to meet are other runners or an occasional early dog walker.

That’s good going on the press ups, do you do any other exercises on non-running days?

I prefer cryptic crosswords, but also do more general knowledge ones too. When I first started work, back in the 70’s, a colleague got me into the Daily Telegraph crossword. Then we moved on to The Times as she took offence at an editorial in The Telegraph. From what I can recall I believe there was only the one crossword (on the back page) in each of those papers, not a selection of cryptic, concise etc. Before anyone thinks I’m particularly brainy I should point out that we only rarely finished the Telegraph crossword completely, and as for The Times I could count on one hand the number of times we completed that one! The clues were much different then, a lot of classical knowledge was assumed, as was knowledge of cricketing terms, fortunately my colleague’s husband was a keen cricketer and a lot of his knowledge has rubbed off onto her. These days I do the Times Quick Cryptic Crossword and Times2 Crossword, both relatively easy. Monday’s “full fat” main Crossword on the back of the paper is the easiest one of the week so I usually attempt that and can generally finish the majority of it, Tuesday to Friday I’m lucky to solve 4or 5 clues.
    Another great 5k performance from you, looking good for Saturday 🙂

WtnMel: well done for getting out early this morning. You did better than me, I had intended to do a 6 mile run before breakfast, but I didn’t sleep well so gave it a miss. Instead I’ve done an hour of flow yoga and we’re now about to go out for a walk. 
    I don’t eat before an early morning run, but if it’s a mid morning race then I’d have a bowl of porridge a couple of hours before. 

Damien: we live quite high up and get a lot of wind, I agree it can be a real pain, not to mention exhausting too, when running against it.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Just to show you never know what's around the corner, I had a phone call earlier from my sister to say my Mum had a fall while putting out her rubbish. They took her to the hospital for an x-ray and the orthopaedic surgeon phoned my sister to say he advised the best thing was to do a partial hip replacement. He's hoping to operate on Sat and we're just waiting to hear back from the hospital once my Mum has been settled into one of the wards.

Damien - I end up burping when I run too soon after eating. But if I'm slow the next few times I go out running first thing, I think I'll get up early enough to give myself time for a cup of tea and a slice of toast before I head out. Re wind, it depends on which direction it's coming from. Our house seems to be partly sheltered by Cleeve Hill - but if it's a westerly, I notice it as it whips across from the direction of the Malverns, especially when I am running along the bypass at the edge of the village.

HS - I wish I had the brainpower to cope with cryptic crosswords because sometimes, the Independent concise one is just too easy. When they have ridiculously easy clues they always remind me of Baldrick's definition of a dog "Not a cat" in the episode where he burnt Samuel Pepys diary by mistake :) Well done re your 5k earlier.

Aquarius - I'll dress up as Freddie Mercury if you come to the NESD with me .. seems a fair swap to me ;) Re crosswords, the Independent does a large crossword at the weekend but for that you sometimes seem to need to have an interest in all things cricket (which we don't!).

Re early runs, it was mostly dog-walkers and other runners I passed this morning although there were a couple of people out walking too. But I forgot to say, as I ran along the bypass, I was passed by a man on a motorized scooter (complete with crash helmet) who was zooming along the grass verge. 

Despite what seemed an early start to me (Mr "8am man"), Margaret was up and out of the house by 5am and was back home having her breakfast when I set off on my run.

It's been raining again today so I've been dong some more de-cluttering, going through various folders and finding plenty of stuff to discard. Some plants and compost Margaret ordered online arrived mid-morning so we'll probably be out tomorrow planting them out in the borders. We had a free gift as well - two dahlias - which Margaret isn't interested in so I said I'll take charge of them.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: I'm sorry to hear about your mum, that must have been quite a shock for you. My aunt had a fall in her mid nineties and had a hip replacement a couple of days later. It took her a little while to get mobile again after that, but she lived on her own (a very independent lady) in an upstairs flat, which didn't help. I hope your mum makes a swift recovery. I suppose you won't be allowed in to visit her? The restrictions brought in by the coronavirus are really hard on families at times like this. 

By coincidence we had a horticultural delivery today too, but ours was seed potatoes. We've also got some beetroot seeds to try out and are still waiting for some plants to arrive. I forget what they are, there wasn't a lot of choice online. It's not the same as being able to wander around a garden centre and select your own plants, but online sales are better than nothing at the moment.

We set out for our 3 mile walk after lunch and experienced four seasons in one day almost. As we left the house it started to hail, proper big white hailstones. Then after a couple of minutes they stopped, the sun came out and we were attacked by midges for the next five minutes. After that it was overcast for another quarter of an hour, then torrential rain started and it more or less continued raining until we got close to home. As soon as we were indoors we stripped off our dripping wet clothing and I jumped in the shower, while Steve soaked in a hot bath. Considering the weather I was surprised at how many people were out and about. We did our usual walking in the road or crossing over to avoid them. Yet again it was disappointing to see a runner heading straight for us and making no attempt to move out of the way. No wonder runners are getting a bad name. At least there were no lunatics on motorised scooters, but we did nearly get run over by a siren-wailing light-flashing police car tearing along at a ridiculous speed on an otherwise empty road.

You really are a spoilsport WtnMel, you know I won't do the skinny-dip  :D
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

I managed to wake up in time this morning to get out for an early run (5.20am) I ran a slow 6 mile along the Derwent Walk and this time my knee only started to ache a little in the last half mile, so I’m hoping it’s gradually improving. I was quite achy all over this morning after yesterday’s flow yoga, which had been quite demanding, plus our hilly (and wet) walk, so I was rather concerned whether or not my knee would manage a 6 mile run, but luckily it did. I’ll not push my luck though and limit the rest of my exercise today to a little yoga later on (from a beginners website this time, so quite gentle) just to stretch out any aches and pains.
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, yes things were very different back in the day.  Posting request for entry forms and then returning completed forms, together with a cheque to the organisers. The acceptance and race number would then be returned by post.  It would often be a week or more before the race results would arrive back in the post. Seems very primitive now, messing about with stamps, cheques etc.

I did 18 press ups this morning and 6x10 seconds front planks. I then did the Mr Motivator work out in front of the TV. I've also been doing the Green Goddess work outs. I can also nearly touch my toes again with straight knees.

My boss in the office would arrive most mornings with the Telegraph cryptic crossword completed. If he hadn't quite finished it, he would take the paper with him to the toilets and finish it. Not very hygienic, or professional was it!

The weather was the same here, torrential rain, sunshine, hailstones and more sunshine. I'm not surprised you were both soaked to the skin.

I meant to say that after yesterdays 5k run when I was doing a walking recovery, I saw a duck waddling down the road, near the centre with 4 baby ducklings walking in single file behind her. Thankfully there was very little traffic, and it wasn't a main road. Cars were going very slowly round them except for one idiot. I tried to slow the driver down but he/she ignored  me and nearly run them over. My language as I shouted at the driver is unprintable on here.

Sounds promising that your knee is recovering, and it seems like the yoga is helping.

WtnMel, sorry to hear about your mum's accident and I hope she isn't in too much pain. She is extremely lucky though to be able to have an operation so quickly. Many such operations have been cancelled due to the pandemic. 

Those motorised scooter riders can be very dangerous, especially if they are on the pavements. I don't believe that they need a licence to ride them, but I'm not sure.

Margaret must be a very "early morning bird!"

Today is a rest day and I got my 3 bags full of heavy shopping again to carry home. I must be getting stronger as I didn't find it quite so much of a struggle.

Tomorrow is the virtual solo 5k challenge again, and I'm hoping to beat last Saturdays time.

There were the same few neighbours clapping again last night, but there were people walking by completely ignoring us. There was even a runner passing who I didn't recognise, so hopefully  he wasn't a member of our running club. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Quick update re my Mum. My sister managed to speak to her yesterday and was allowed to drop off some things (to a central drop-off area away from the ward) so my Mum now has her mobile phone so we can call her. She's scheduled to be having her hip replacement op sometime today.

Aquarius - my Mum is pretty sprightly for a 93-year old and if she's given some physio exercises to help her get mobile again, she will get on and do them without any prompting. So I imagine she'll recover pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit her during the current lockdown. Once she's back at her flat I'm ging to see if it may be possible to organise a Zoom meeting with her and my sister (using my sister's phone - depends on how much data my sister has!).  Shame about you getting drenched on your walk - we've had rain then sunshine here in Gloucs but it's not been cold enough for hail. I've been known to run in the rain and re-appear like drowned rat - at which point I'm 'ordered' by Margaret to strip off in the hallway and not drip water everywhere. Yes, with runners like the one you met not bothering to try and make allowance for others, no wonder the rest of us get tarred with the same brush and called selfish and dangerous. Well done for getting out for yesterday's early 6ml run. 

I beg to differ - you're the spoilsport for not doing the skinny-dip and help raise money for MIND :D>:) 

HS - you mentioned posting off race entries and I remember when it was like that .. I seem to recall making a special trip to the main post office because my entry to the London Marathon would get processed quicker (I wasn't successful btw and didn't bother again). Well done re the press-ups and planks and exercising with Mr Motivator and Diana (Green Goddess) Moran. I was surprised how quickly they have been able to schedule my Mum's operation .. they've been able to give her painkillers to keep her comfortable since her fall happened.

Yesterday we planted the hypericum, lavender etc. that Margaret ordered which entailed moving some other plants to new positions to make room for them. The only thing left to plant is the free pair of dahlias they sent us - we think they'll go into the border by our drive but I've got to see if I can squeeze them in somewhere as that border is already quite full.
  • Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Holy Cow! There is a lot to catch up on! I will try not to miss anything.  I hope to be back to a normal posting schedule at the end of this week, so I won't be so far behind.

WtnMel, What is a 'pinny'? And, I'm terrified to ask about a 'tickling stick', but I'm going to hazard a guess that it is a feather duster?

Great job on going for a run at 5:45 am without any breakfast.  I absolutely cannot do that without crashing afterwards (I would use the term 'wrecked', but I remember the last time...).  

Yikes, how scary for your mom, not to mention you and your sister. I am glad that they have gotten her into the hospital so quickly and are able to operate today. I'll make a point of checking back to see your update on how the operation went. My fingers are crossed for the best.

I do hope that you get to post some pictures of your garden when it starts to come into bloom (instagram pictures of gardens are quite nice :wink:).  I really enjoy seeing garden photos.

HS, Great job on your pressups.  I really should start trying to find time for them, but it's going to have to wait. I am literally scheduling my days down to half hour increments at this point.  I can't wait for next week to be over, and to be back to a normal schedule!

I do the the New York Times crossword puzzle. It is normally a concise puzzle, but the Sunday puzzle, which is the hardest, is sometimes a cryptic puzzle.  The nice thing about the Times puzzle is that it starts the week with its easiest puzzle on Monday followed by progressively more difficult puzzles culminating in Sunday's puzzle.  Full disclosure: I often cheat :blush:

How terrible that a driver was so callous as to come close to running over ducklings!  I am glad that you yelled some unprintables! 

It sounds like your running this week has been spot on, so I am very hopeful to hear that today's 5k time will be terrific :smiley: 

Aquarius,  I am so glad to read that your knee is improving!  My fingers are crossed that your next 6 mile run will be completely pain free.  

Once I am caught up in life, I may have to try and take a page out of your book and go for 5:00 am runs.  This week is a step back/easy week in training, which I am really grateful for. But, the next really long run is scheduled to be 9 miles.  At this point 9 miles on the treadmill, when the weather outside is decent, seems almost torturous.  If I can head out while it's still a little dark out, I might be able to avoid enough of the crowds.  You are my inspiration :smile:  However, I am going to have change my normal routes, as the beaches and the sidewalks along the seawalls are completely blocked off.  

Four seasons in one walk is pretty good. I'm impressed that you stuck out the hail, and continued. We are forecast to have a weekend with sun and almost warmish temperatures, which is wonderful. Sadly, the temperature is supposed to plummet again during the week. This spring is just weirdly cold so far.

How is Steve's hip feeling?  Is he doing the exercises that the physio recommended? I think you said that some of his discomfort was related to the medication. Has changing the medication helped, at all? I apologize if I am misremembering.  

So far, I have managed to stick to my training schedule.  And, I am now in the third week, which is 'step back' or 'easy' week. This is perfect timing for an easy week, as I am making my last big push with work this week.  I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to life going back to my normal schedule.  After this week, the mileage starts to pick up and the long runs will begin to increase in mileage fairly rapidly. In the next few weeks I am going to have to sort out how I am going to manage runs of 15 miles and up either on the treadmill (shoot me now), or outdoors (not really safe).  It will be a challenge.  

• Options
    Good evening everyone,

WtnMel, has your mum had her hip replacement operation yet, if so, I hope it went well!! I didn't realise that she was so elderly, but it sounds like she is very fit for her age, so hopefully will make a swift recovery from her operation.

I did the same re the first three applications I made for the London Marathon, posting them  late at night to catch the first deliveries.

I'm sure my workouts with Mr Motivator and the Green Goddess are being beneficial, as I'm running much quicker now.

Well done with your progress in the garden. Am I right in thinking that last year, or was it the year before, that you deliberately let your grass grow long?

Molly, you are the same as me, being unable to run without any breakfast. To be honest, I've never tried, but don't intend to.

I used to find with the Daily Telegraph cryptic crossword that it was easier on certain days of the week. I assumed it was compiled by different setters.

I'm glad that you support my use of obscene language at that ignorant driver. Ironically, on facebook that evening there was a video of a similar scenario with several police cars stopping the traffic and a policeman on foot trying to direct the ducks off the road. 

Todays 5k went really well, details below.

I hope you do manage to complete your work this week, so you are able to get back to your normal work and training schedule. 15 miles on a treadmill sounds like hell on earth to me, so good luck when you do it.

Todays 5k went really well and was 62 seconds quicker than the one on the first Saturday of April. I ran it in 27.03, an average pace of 8.43 minute miling, and a WAVA of 68.39%. I celebrated with half a bottle of wine with my lunch.🍷🍷🍷
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Mum update - have heard from my sister that Mum phoned this morning to say they're taking her down to the theatre for her op .. hopefully we'll get an update later on from the nursing staff when she's back on the ward.

Molly - 'pinny' is just another word for an apron (the name comes from pinafore - which itself comes from when a piece of material without buttons was simply pinned to the front to protect clothing - or pinned to the fore. Who knew? I certainly didn't know where the name had originated from). And yes, a tickling stick is just a feather duster (it's a British joke related to a comedian called Ken Dodd who always joked about his tickling stick). We occasionally have to ask for answers to our crossword (one advantage of The Independent being online) or use the crossword solver website with the large Saturday crossword - and sometimes we still don't recognise the answer as its usually some obscure person, place or plant.

HS - yes, we let the grass grow long last year and although it looked nice, cutting it down with the strimmer was what caused my shoulder problem. We've kept the bit near the house un-mowed at the moment as some primroses have self-seeded there but it's only a few inches tall and they've finished now, so that bit will get cut next time. Well done re the 5k challenge and your WAVA score - just half a bottle of wine (hic!) :)

I managed to get up for an early run. Set the alarm for 5:30am, made time for a cup of tea and a bite to eat and set off at 6:15am. Did 5mls and to amuse myself, counted cars (18), cyclists (5), walkers (1), dog-walkers (2) and other runners (3). It was slower than usual again - maybe that's just the way it is with my body not as efficient as it is when I run later in the day? 

Btw, for comparison, Margaret was out for her walk at 4:45am!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just popped back to say my Mum has had her hip operation ..

I just spoke to her and she had it done under epidural. She sounded in good spirits, is looking forward to her dinner as she wasn't allowed any breakfast this morning and says she will probably be in hospital until the end of the week. And said they'll have her out of bed and on her feet tomorrow morning to start on the recovery phase.
  • Options
    WtnMel, hope your mum has had her operation now and that all is ok?  I hadn't realised that it was the strimming that had caused your shoulder problem, although you probably did tell us and I had forgotten.

Thanks, I was very pleased with my 5k time and WAVA. Not far off the 70% now.

Well done getting up early for your 5 mile run. I often count cars, runners, dog walkers etc too. I find that runners are always running towards me, not ahead so that I can try to catch them. On the rare occasion that they are ahead of me, they seem to turn off, just before I catch them, which is quite frustrating.  I'm impressed by Margaret setting off for a walk at 4.45am, very hard core!

I ran a steady 6 miles on roads this morning in light rain. I ran past the local Tesco at 9.05 and they were already queuing with their trolleys. It's ridiculous, they  don't open until 10am on a Sunday. I've been shopping there recently on Fridays and Tuesdays at 8.15am and gone straight in, no queues. They open at 6am weekdays and Saturdays, so I imagine some start queuing around 5.30am or earlier.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - looks like our posts crossed! As you'll see, my Mum's op went well and she's in remarkably good spirits.

The first runner yesterday was a young lady across the road going in the opposite direction; the second was a guy who jogged past on the other side of the road with loud music was coming from his phone (no headphones that I could see); as we ran up the road, him slowly getting further ahead, a lady appeared from a side road and the three of us looked like we were running together but with extreme (50yds) social distancing. We all ran up the road but when we got to the bend at the far end, both of them promptly disappeared from view.

Hoping to get out for a bit more gardening today - but just been doing some 'admin' and am about to post a letter to HMRC claiming back some overpaid NI contributions from last year.
  • Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

HS, You Rock!  I am so impressed with your improved pace :smiley: I am sure that you will reach a 70% wava.

Good Job on your steady 6 miles.  We've been having a fair amount of rain, as well.  

While I try to avoid unpleasant language, I do support any act that stands up to casual and callous violence against other creatures. Running over baby ducklings is appalling. Even if the driver missed them, its still horrifying to me.

There is a sort of push to try and normalize life here in the states.  With some states opening restaurants and hair salons. My state is embracing the contradictory approach of extending the shelter-in-place mandate until the end of May and, at the same time, opening restaurants and hair salons with restrictions. I'm not sure how this is expected to play out. Some factions seem to think that life will be 'normalized' by this fall.  As of now, there just seems to be mass confusion around our fall running events. I received an 'update' email from the Maine Marathon expressing hope that the event would go on as normal, but also expressing caution.  Basically, there is a lot of pathological optimism.

WtnMel, I am so glad to hear that your mom's operation went well. That must have been really stressful for all of you.

Thank you for explaining the terms 'pinny' and 'tickling stick' to me. The explanation for pinafore is fascinating. I had no idea about its history. In my mind, a pinafore was a kind of dress with a bib that little girls wear.  I really enjoy learning about the history behind different terms.

I admire you, Margaret and Aquarius for getting up for such early runs/walks. I may have to follow your example and make an attempt at running in the early morning dark in the next couple of weeks.  Your counting game is a hoot!  FWIW, If I go for a run around three in the afternoon, I can count on a slower time. I'm not sure why, except that my body seems to firmly object to any strenuous effort around 3 pm.

Aquarius, how are the Latin lessons coming?

Damien Nagle, I'm guessing that you are back at work.  I hope you are still getting your runs in. The flies will be missing you!

Today is a rest day, which I am enjoying. I'm also enjoying this 'step back' week.  I was getting a little tired, so the lighter mileage and effort is a nice change.  I had a bit of an issue on Saturday when I was working in the garden.  I was wearing loose sweatpants that were open at the ankle, and the very first bumblebee that I've seen this year decided to announce itself by climbing up my pant leg. Doubtless is was looking for somewhere warm. Dislodging it was not easy, and in the process I was stung on the back of my knee.  I have a bad reaction to bees and, consequently, now have a softball sized welt on behind my knee.  It felt very strange running with it, yesterday, and the itching is making sleep a little challenging.  

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

HS: Well done on your press ups and  front planks, also your Mr Motivator and Green Goddess workouts. It’s so easy to only concentrate on running and forget about the other muscle groups in the body, but adding in flexibility and strength work makes a big difference, and helps avoid injury. I find I’m in a constant battle with my hamstrings as regards touching my toes. If I keep up with my stretching and yoga I can manage, just, to touch my toes with straight legs, but if I give those sessions a miss I’m back to square one with tight hamstrings in no time.
    I hadn’t realised that race results were also sent by post, but thinking about it I suppose there was no other way of notifying people before online sites were set up. How frustrating the wait must have been. These days results are often posted within hours of a race finishing. 
    It must have been nice to see the duck and ducklings, I’m not surprised you shouted at that stupid driver though. As I’ve commented below there seem to be a lot more speeding drivers at the moment. 
    What with your press ups and heavy shopping carrying it won’t be long before you have muscles like Popeye!
    Congratulations on yet another great 5k result. That 70% WAVA is getting closer and closer, it can’t be much longer before you achieve it.

WtnMel: That’s good news about your mum’s operation going well. Have you heard from her today to find out if she’s been on her feet yet?
    Well done on your early morning run, you may be right when you say you think your body isn’t used to running at that time. When I was working I used to find that I ran best in the morning before work, and if I tried to run after work I had no energy and hated it. When I joined the running club, and had to attend evening training sessions, I found it took a while to adjust to running at a different time of day, and I also found it difficult to sleep after a hard evening training session. Now I’m retired and can run when I want I think I still prefer to run early in the day. I’ve tried to count runners/dog walkers/cyclists etc when I’m running but generally lose count. 

Molly: I hope you can get outdoors for your runs soon, you must be getting a little sick of treadmill running, and 9 miles on a treadmill doesn’t bear thinking about. (You will definitely qualify for chocolate after that!) Will you be able to find some new outdoor routes if your usual ones are out of bounds at the moment? 
    You didn’t misremember about Steve’s medication, actually his doctor has just put him back on statins again as he now thinks the pain Steve has been having isn’t related to the statins after all. He thinks it may be a trapped nerve, but it is hard to be sure when the consultation takes place by phone. The doctor has recommended that Steve tries to get out for a walk twice a day, and also keeps up with the exercises the physio gave him. The twice a day walk goes against government guidelines, so he’s keeping to just once a day plus the exercises. Also as there is no sign of Steve getting a heart monitor from the NHS we’ve ordered one ourselves from Amazon. It’s a bit annoying to have to buy our own, but as it’s unclear whether the heart specialists will continue to work in their own department, or be redeployed to help with the coronavirus patients, we felt we couldn’t keep waiting for things to get back to normal. The monitor is supposed to arrive tomorrow (Tuesday) and apparently it’s NHS approved, so fingers crossed it’ll be suitable, and accurate. Is Brian still wearing his monitor? Is the ankle swelling any better?
    It’s lucky that this is an easy week for you as regards training, no doubt you will be glad when you have got back to your normal schedule and are not so busy with your textile business. I hope the next few days pass quickly without any last minute problems and then you can concentrate on your running again.

I didn’t run yesterday, so instead we went for a walk, but we had to time it between a shower of hailstones and some heavy rain with thunder and lightening. Yet again we saw quite a lot of traffic on the road, and most of it speeding. When the lockdown started hardly any cars or vans were on the roads, and a number of police cars or motorbike patrols were in evidence, presumably to check whether people’s journeys were necessary. Now sadly we seem to be reverting to the status quo with increased levels of traffic, and some drivers taking advantage of the roads being fairly quiet to drive at ridiculous speeds. Where are the police when you want them?
    We were late going out for our walk because I had a supermarket delivery at lunchtime, but when I unpacked the bags after the driver had left I found about half a dozen items hadn’t been delivered, but had been charged for. I rang the main customer service number and they promised to get either the driver, or the store who had packed the items, to ring me within 30 minutes. Two hours later when I rang back to ask what had happened to my promised phone call it turned out that no-one was available in the online delivery department at the store, and the driver had returned the van to the depot. The customer service department apologised and put a credit voucher on my online account, but I would much rather have had the items I was waiting for!
    After our walk I decided it was time to chase up Steve’s missing hair clipper attachment. You may remember when his hair clippers were delivered about a month ago the 12mm length attachment he wanted to use was missing from the package and when I emailed the company to complain they promised to send it out that day, but advised it could take up to 20 days to be delivered. It’s long past that time now, so I’ve emailed them again.
    While I was on my laptop I emailed another company about an order where I’d paid for two items but to date only one had been delivered.
    Today we’ve spent most of the morning trying to get in touch with the Pension Service about a missing payment. I think we’ve got that sorted out now, but I can’t help wondering what is going to be my next job………
    At least I woke up in time this morning to go out for my early morning run to the park, and my hill repeats session. I felt stronger than when I did this session last week, so I was surprised to find my times were actually slightly slower. 

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Molly, apologies, I've just noticed your post. My fault, I'd written my post offline to copy and paste on here, but didn't post it straight away and forgot to check to see if anyone had posted since I last looked.
    I'll comment on it later if you don't mind, bit busy now.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Molly, ouch, that sounded like a painful and unpleasant experience with the bee. I hope you had some antihistamine medication to hand, especially as you had such a bad reaction to the sting. I can well imagine it must itch like mad when you get warm in bed. I hope it clears up soon. I suppose if there is any silver lining to this cloud its that it happened on an easy training week, so if you need to miss a couple of days until it gets better at least it won't impact too much on your training progression.
    Our country is also considering how to ease the lockdown and at the weekend we will apparently hear more about the government's plans to do this. Any relaxation of the rules seems far too early to me, especially as the politicians seem to be considering allowing the trains and buses to ramp up the number of people travelling on them, if the intermingling of residents from different parts of the country on public transport isn't a recipe for disaster i don't know what is.  
    My Latin is coming along ok at the moment thanks, but I'm finding it hard to find time to study regularly. Ideally it would probably be best to study a bit every day, so I don't forget the vocabulary I've already learned, but at the moment I can't seem to manage that. I'm also reading a history of England, then I want to move on to another book I've seen about the prehistoric history of the British Isles, but again it's a matter of finding the time.

The reason I hadn't time to respond to your post earlier was because just as I saw it Steve came in from a bike ride (his first for some time) and he was not happy to discover he had dogs dirt all over one of the bike pedals. It seems he must have put his foot down at some point and stood in a pile of it, without noticing, then started pedalling again and ground the dirt into both his pedal and the sole of his shoe all the way home. He was not happy. I judged it expedient to sympathise while he let off steam and turned the air blue with his comments. :o
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

I didn't bother phoning my Mum yesterday - thought she might want to rest after her op. Just tried phoning her but had to leave a voicemail message ..

Molly - I'm struggling to get up earlier than usual .. it doesn't help that I resist going to bed earlier because it isn't my bedtime! :) I've been counting again (see below). Sorry to hear you got stung by a bumble-bee .. hope you've got some anti-histamine handy? Enjoy your step-back training week - while it lasts!

Aquarius - like you I can *just* touch my toes with straight legs (note to self - do those exercises!). This morning's run seemed a bit easier (see below). Glad to hear you didn't get soaked on yesterday's walk. Have to agree - a credit note is okay but it would have been better if those shopping items hadn't been missed (but they're dealing with a lot more online shoppers than in the past so I'll give them some leeway). Hope that missing clipper attachment does eventually turn up. Well done re your hill repeats session. Yuk to the dog dirt on Steve's shoe and pedal - time to break out the pressure washer?

I managed to get out for a 4ml run this morning at 6:15am - my pace improved from Sunday which is possibly my body getting used to running outside again? Today's scores on the doors - 3 cyclists, 1 dog-walker, 2 pedestrians and 8 runners (incl. a couple with their son and the dog). The roads were busier than on Sunday - I lost count of the number of cars that passed me.

I've not heard back from the treadmill manufacturers yet - but given the current situation, I'm not surprised.

Margaret's son was asking if she had any photographs of her Dad in his military uniform (for the girls VE day project). Cue me going into the loft to retrieve the 5 crates of photographs (yes really - 5 of them!) :)
  • Options
    Good morning all,

WtnMel, yes our posts crossed! Glad to hear that your Mum's operation went well.

I see that you can touch your toes with straight legs, and I managed too as well, this morning. It was only for a couple of seconds, I couldn't hold it.

Well done with your early morning run and good to see that it was quicker than Sundays.

Regarding the spotting of cars, runners etc. do you remember the eye spy books? They were for all different subjects. I remember being given the "Eye Spy History" book by my Primary School teacher as he was so impressed with my  essay on the Spanish Armada. I was also a bus and train spotter, and had the Ian Allen books.

A coincidence that you mentioned Margaret's son asking for photos of his dad in military uniform, as I posted a photo of my dad in his on Facebook, on what would have been his 102nd birthday.

Molly, thanks, I need to improve my 5k time by 26 seconds to achieve 70% WAVA. I will have to run really hard to make this up.

I don't know where the ducks came from, or were going, as there are no ponds nearby. 

I find it strange that so many people in the USA are demonstrating against the lock down, and don't seem to get it that by going out in the streets in large numbers, close together, they are only making matters worse.  It seems that there may be partial easing of the lock down in the UK, and the PM will be revealing his "Road Map" on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your bee sting, and the unfortunate reaction to the back of your knee. It must be very uncomfortable trying to run with the swelling.

Aquarius, thanks, I managed to touch my toes this morning, but only for a second, I couldn't hold it. I also managed 20 press ups after the Mr Motivator work out. I carried 3 shopping bags again this morning, but it was a bit of a struggle. I did a lot of weight lifting years ago, when I didn't have much time to run at lunch time. I worked out with free weights and machines. This had the unfortunate effect of me gaining weight and consequently having an adverse effect on my running.

I've also noticed an increase in the traffic over the last few days. 

That was unfortunate some items missing from your delivery, and a credit voucher doesn't make up for it. On Friday I put Runners World magazine in my trolley, along with the rest of my shopping, but when I got home, the magazine was missing. I checked the tally slip and found that it hadn't been charged for, so somehow couldn't have come down the moving belt.

That's odd your hill reps being slower, whilst you were feeling stronger.

I hope Steve removed his shoes before stepping indoors, because dogs mess is very difficult to clean off a carpet. I always check mine, because running in the forest is quite likely to tread in manure. Not so smelly as dogs mess though.
  • Options
    I went back to work on the 1st and it has been very busy but the roads are dead travelling to and from work. I have done two 10k runs since going back but I am still trying to run every other day.
  • Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

Aquarius, It's too bad that Steve and Brian live on different continents, or they could take their daily walks together and compare heart monitors. Brian's monitor came off on Sunday, and he mailed it back in yesterday. We should have results in two weeks, but who knows...He had an episode on Saturday where he bent over, straightened up again, and his heart rate shot up to 170.  A few minutes later it shot up again. It's a little worrisome, but he had also done more that day, in the way of gardening and walking, than he has up to now. So, I'm hoping that it was partly due to fatigue. The good news is that his ankles are markedly better.  Yay! Does Steve feel as if the exercises are helping?

How frustrating to not have all of your food items delivered. We recently had the wrong things delivered and I got so frustrated trying to sort it out that I just gave up.  As a result, I am learning to like beets, or at least tolerate them.  I'm impressed by your ability to sort things out!

It is strange that you felt stronger on your hill runs and ended up with slower times. Was your Garmin acting up?

I have to ask, which history of England are you reading? For a long time I was a bit of a history buff, and read a lot of English, French, Roman, and US history books.  To tell the truth, over the last couple of years, it has been a little comforting to be able to call to mind those periods, in other countries' histories, when they had seriously unstable leaders. I figure that, if those countries are still in existence, we may survive Trump.

I really admire your trying out the Latin.  But, I can sympathize with the lack of time.  It's really hard to find time to manage day-to-day life and take on extras.

Poor Steve! I hate it when people don't clean up after their dogs!  Ugh!  I hope he got the mess properly cleaned off of his shoes/bike.

WtnMel,  I am so glad to hear that your mom's operation was successful. Good for the hospital for getting her up and walking so soon.  

Yes, I did have some anti-histamine pills, which I took very soon after being stung, but I'm not sure they helped much. However, The itching is calming down, and I finally got some sleep last night, which helped, but I'm still very tired. 

Good job on your morning run!  And your wake up time :smile: It sounds like you are adjusting well to the change.  The big question is whether you'll continue with the early run times if you manage to get the treadmill fixed. I'm following along with the treadmill saga just in case it happens to me.

5 crates of photos?  That is impressive :smiley: I think I have a suitcase full of family photos somewhere. I inherited the suitcase, and I really don't know who the people in the photos are.  

HS, Ha! I thought of the 'Eye Spy' books, as well, when I read WtnMel's post.

The demonstrations are being funded in large part by the extreme gun rights groups.  There is a strong streak of paranoia in these groups that leads them to fear that the federal government will take over completely, and we will end up in some weird 'big brother' society.  Trump has exploited the crazy fears of the groups, and, now, they actually have some political leverage.  In their narrative, it would be a heroic and noble act to resist what they are calling government control and, as a result, suffer from the virus. In reality, I suspect that most of them are just spoiled brats that can't take a little discomfort in life. However, the demonstrations have prompted states opening a little on the early side, and, now, a number of the businesses are saying that they don't want to open yet. As usual, it's a mess.

Damien Nagle, good job on your two 10ks. I hope that your roads stay empty. It must make your commute much easier!

I was too tired to run this morning. So, I switched today to a cross training day and, then, only managed 30 minutes on the bike. I am going to try to run tomorrow morning, finish up the project in the afternoon, and go to bed :smiley:
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Had been trying to phone my Mum but kept getting straight through to voicemail and thought her mobile might be switched off. My sister just sent me a WhatsApp message - turned out my Mum had set her mobile to go to voicemail automatically but thinks they've fixed it now. Apparently Mum has just gone off to physio so I'll try phoning her again later.

HS - I must admit I could only touch my toes for a few seconds too. Yes, it was nice to be able to run a bit faster yesterday morning. I do remember the I Spy books from my childhood but I think they're long gone now (don't think my Mum kept them). I was a train-spotter in my youth - in the summer holidays we would head off on our bikes with a packed lunch and spend all day sitting on a wall watching the steam trains shooting past us. We also used to enjoy the goods trains when they stopped/started as there was a concertina-type banging noise as the wagons hit each other all the way down the long line of them behind the engine.

Damien - the only advantage of being back at work is for obvious reasons, your commute is going to be easier than usual.

Molly - slightly worrying Brian's heart-rate shooting up like that - hope that was just due to the gardening etc. he'd been doing. Good to hear his ankles are better. Margaret had a hip operation some years ago and told me they'd have my Mum up and about very quickly. I'm adjusting to getting up earlier than usual - but very slowly. I had a few years of early starts (4:45am) for my IT support job, but since retiring, I've been enjoying not having to get up until 8am. No change re the treadmill as I mentioned - but it was always a short-term fix as I much prefer running outside. Yes - 5 crates of photos but I don't know what they all are as they are Margaret's. There's only twice when I've properly managed to de-clutter my own photos. The first time was when I separated and we split the photos in the 17(!) photo albums between us. A few months later, I went through my half of the family photos and got rid of the duplicates and selected the best of whatever we'd been photographing. I did that by sitting on the bed with each album in turn, spreading the photos around me and picking the best ones/best angle for each occasion. I ended up with 4 albums after I'd done that little exercise! I noticed that the gun-toting MAGAtards (love that phrase I came across!) wanted their 'freedom' but weren't taking any chances by wearing face coverings. With any luck their actions will have an effect on them but won't endanger anyone else - karma can be a wonderful thing.

My hair has got to the stage where it's growing down over my ears and collar and is getting increasingly irritating - Margaret has promised to have a go at trimming the sides and the back later on.

Heading out to do a bit more gardening today as it's lovely and sunny again - and planning to get up early again tomorrow morning for another #notpub2pub run.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

WtnMel: I hope you’ve managed to speak to your Mum now that she’s sorted out the voicemail thing. How is her physiotherapy going? 
    Has Margaret sheared your locks yet? I cut Steve’s hair yesterday (see below) as we’d had a message to say the clipper attachment that we are waiting for is stuck in a depot in China and is likely to be there for some time.
    Did you get out for your “notpubtopub” run today? 
    Yet more gardening? You either have a huge garden, or an extremely well kept one. :p

HS: Well done on your press ups after doing the Mr Motivator work out. I think a lot of people are building strength work into their training during this lockdown. I’ve seen many links on Facebook to various online resources for strength and conditioning workouts, also physio advice. I’ve no doubt doing press ups and carrying heavy shopping bags will maintain and even improve your upper body strength. I’ve read lots of articles over the last couple of years stressing how important weight training is as you get older, which is mainly the reason I started doing yoga again, and now include circuit training. 
    How frustrating to find you didn’t have your Runners World magazine when you got home. Did you go back to the shop to buy one?

Molly: I’m sure once this project of yours is out of the way your energy levels, and motivation, will return. You are wise not to push things for the sake of it if your body is tired. I hope you manage to get a short run in today, finish off your project, then get some rest.
    That must have been a bit worrying when Brian’s heart rate went up like that, but as you say he had been busier than usual that day, so that may well account for it. I suppose none of us know what our hearts are doing at any given time, unless we are wearing a monitor. Perhaps that sort of thing is not an unusual occurrence, particularly if it is a fleeting episode, and occurs when the body is a little fatigued. I hope the results will set your minds at rest when you get them. Two weeks seems a long time to wait though. One good thing however is that Brian’s ankles are better. Does he get out for a walk every day? Steve’s hip is a lot better and he thinks it’s due to both the exercises and the walks.
    The history book I’m currently reading is Arthur Bryant’s History of England. It’s a bit of a dash through history from pre-Conquest to the 1970’s (when it was published). We have a number of other books that deal with different periods in detail, but I haven’t read this one for a while, so I thought it was time I did. I have another couple of books arriving tomorrow one is about Britain before the Romans, and the other is about what the author calls “hidden urban and rural landscapes” of Britain. 

Damien: Well done for managing 2 lots of 10k now you are back at work, it’s hard to find time to run every other day even when you are not at work. Just wait until parkrun starts again, you’ll be flying along! 

Yesterday I cut Steve’s hair, and if I say so myself it wasn’t a bad job. Actually, having said that it was hard to be sure, because when Steve’s hair starts to grow it becomes curly, which made it quite difficult to tell if I’d cut it straight. Also the scissors were blunt. But he’s happy with the outcome so that’s fine. We were going to wait for the missing hair clipper attachment to arrive, but I got an update yesterday from the Chinese company who are sending it. It seems our parcel is stuck in a depot somewhere, according to the photo they sent. I’ll try to post their photo later if I can.
    Before the haircutting session we went for a 4 mile walk and tried out a new route along a country road we’d found on Google Maps. It turned out to be quite a good route and I may use it in future for one of my longer runs. We turned back after 2 miles, but it goes on for quite a way after that. In the afternoon I did an hour of circuit work, then sat outside for a while in the sun with a glass of wine.
    Today I got up early and did my interval session again but was hampered a bit on my last repeat by dog walkers. They always appear from 6.00am onwards, so I’ll have to try to start a few minutes earlier next time and see if I can get finished before they arrive. I think we’ll try to fit in a walk again today as Steve is hoping to start running again next week so wants to build up his walking this week. Strictly speaking I shouldn’t go with him as I’ve already been out today, but I feel if I go with him on his walk it encourages him to go a bit further than he would on his own. The heart monitor we bought arrived on Tuesday and is giving conflicting readings. Sometimes it says it’s picking up possible AF, but at other times it says the readings are normal. I’m not sure how accurate these readings are, so I suppose we’ll just have to wait for the NHS to send out a monitor when Steve gets to the top of the waiting list, and hope that the reading from that will show no AF.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Steve’s hair clipper attachment is somewhere in here
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - I wasn't able to get through to my Mum yesterday - but my sister has sent a WhatsApp message this morning to say she's a bit sore (as expected) but otherwise okay. Margaret was busy fundraising yesterday afternoon so she cut my hair this morning instead. She trimmed above my ears and down to my collar and got rid of all the 'fuzz' on the back of my neck and has done a really good job. As she was doing it she mentioned how fiddly it was as my hair had gone curly as it has grown - every time she thought she'd trimmed the back to the new length she found another bit that needed cutting. We don't have a huge garden - it's just being looked after a lot more than usual at the moment. I have a very large history book called "Chronicle of Britain & Ireland" which is A4 and 1300 pages long. It covers events from 6500BC up to the late 90's (publication date) and although the approach of reporting events as if they are news stories is slightly odd, it's proved quite useful to dip into from time to time. Ha-ha .. those clippers are supposed to be in that photo somewhere are they? Nice to know you've found a new route to use for your runs - well done with the post-walk circuit work - wine was definitely deserved. Well done re this morning's interval session but shame about the dog-walkers.

Yesterday I had a 'play' with a headset I liberated from the office when I retired and had forgotten I had in the cupboard. I used it to have a 'practise' Zoom meeting with myself (sent myself an email meeting request to my phone) and it worked a treat. The U3A Science & Technology I belong to are having a Zoom meeting at 2pm today (should be interesting as most of us are Zoom virgins!) so fingers crossed it goes okay. If it does, I've promised the chap who organises the group that I'll do a presentation about 5G in another Zoom meeting next month (you can share your screen). That will be a small project for me over the next couple of weeks to create a PowerPoint presentation about it.

I also used the headset to access an online training course I'm doing with Coursera. It's called "Learning To Learn" which I thought might be a good idea to do to get me up to speed before diving into anything else. But I'm about to ditch that course as I really can't stand the Americanisms in it or the way it's being taught. And the lecturer always ends each video saying .. "I'm Barbara Oakley - thanks for Learning To Learn". Aaarrrgghhhhh!! 

I've just signed up to another course on Coursera called "Everyday Excel" - I've probably been dabbling with Excel for 20 years or so and it's probably time I learnt my way around it properly in a more structured way. let's hope the lecturer for that is easier to listen to.

I really didn't feel like getting up this morning (went to bed too late again) when the alarm went off at 5:30am. But after five minutes 'made' myself and I'm glad I did because it was a lovely sunny morning. I ran 4.7mls at 10:48mm pace and the BDPR count today was 2,2,7,7 (bikes, dogs, people, runners) so similar to Tue.

• Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I finished my samples! WooHoo! I'll attach a picture at the bottom. My work is normally abstract, but it will give you an idea of what I do.

WtnMel,  I'm so glad to hear that your mother is making a good recover. I would imagine that she is sore after the operation. I hope her discomfort passes quickly.

I admire your determination in making it through all of those boxes of photos. We currently have some photo boxes stored in one of our spare bedrooms with the 'intent' of converting them to photo albums.  Photos are weird things.  Somehow, I am really uncomfortable with tossing them, but I also have no desire to look at them.  

My hair has grown like a chia pet, as well.  I've taken to wearing a hat more frequently than normal.  Lucky for you to have a partner who you trust with shears. I trust my husband with many things, including my life, but I'm not letting him anywhere near my hair.

Good job on keeping up with your gardening. I usually maintain fairly well until July, and then the weeds start to win.  We've been working our gardening in when the weather allows. Brian has been engaged in waging his annual war on the dandelions.  Almost all of my plants have popped up in my flower beds, however, our forecast is threatening some snow on Saturday. Ugh!  The good news is that this looks to be the last cold wave and we should settle into reasonably comfortable temperatures.

You are showing fortitude with your early morning runs.  I'm impressed that you were able to force yourself out of bed despite a late night. 

Dare I ask what constitutes 'Americanisms'?

Aquarius, I woke up feeling tons lighter this morning, now that my work load is back to normal :smile:  If we get some consistently warm weather over the next week, I may begin to feel almost giddy with motivation!

I'm really glad to hear that Steve's hips are better, and that he is planning on trying the running again.  Brian is trying to get out for at least a short walk around the block every day, and a longer walk of a couple miles every couple of days.  I think the walking has gone a long way toward helping the swelling and discomfort in his ankles. 

I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I'm working. There is a series called 'Great Courses' that offers lectures in almost every imaginable field, and I was listening to a number of them for a while. You are inspiring me to try and give them another go. 

Oh my gosh, what a picture of the warehouse! It's an almost perfect image for our time. I wonder when and if all of those packages will be released.  Great job on getting Steve's hair trimmed.  

How exciting to have found a new running route!  I hope that you find it both people and dog free when you try it out.  

It is worrisome to hear that the heart rate monitor that you ordered is registering possible AF episodes. However, I think that you are wise to wait for the NHS monitor to arrive.  One thing that we've noticed is that the different monitors can give wildly different readings, with some definite false positives. However, we have also found it helpful to report those results to Brian's doctor to 'help' move things along. I do hope that Steve moves to the top of the NHS list in short order.

Great job on sticking with your interval runs. What a pain to have them interrupted. Your determination to get up as early as you need to is impressive.

I only managed a few short miles for my 'long run', yesterday.  But, since it is a step back week, I figured that I could it fudge it some.  And, it paid off, since I was finally able to finish those samples. WooHoo. I need to cut them up and do a write up on them before mailing them out. But the worst is done. I am feeling very content with the world!

This is what I have been working on. This is fresh off the loom and the weaving hasn't been cleaned up, so it's a little messy:

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Damien, well done running two 10ks since your return to work, and I hope that you do manage to run every other day.

Molly, I was wondering whether they had Eye Spy spotter books in the States, so I imagine they were sold all over the world. I believe that they were published by The Daily Mail Newspaper.

It seems that Trump is supporting the rebellion against the lock downs.  He is more concerned about the economy than peoples lives.

I think that 30 minutes on the bike was sufficient if you were feeling tired. Hope you managed to get out for a run yesterday?

WtnMel, there was a cutting parallel to the railway lines near Surbiton Station, where I used to stand by the railings with friends noting the class and names of the steam trains. Some of the goods trains had so many wagons that they seemed to take ages going past.

I've got loads of old photos, many black and white, which are still in the packets they were were returned in from the developers. I've never got round to sticking them in albums.

My hair is growing but so far has not covered my ears. Seems like Margaret has lots of patience cutting your hair which was tricky being that it was starting to curl.

Glad to hear that your Mum is ok, except for the expected soreness.

It seems that "everyone" is using Zoom these days, but I had only heard of it recently. I used to use Skype when I kept in touch with a friend who was working in Germany. When he returned to the UK I never used it again, so deleted it from my laptop. Hope your Zoom meeting went ok this afternoon, and good luck with your Power Point Presentation on 5G next month. I hope your course on Excel enables you to expand your usage of it.

Well done getting out for an early morning run and keeping count of all the various cars, runners, walkers etc.

Aquarius, well done for cutting Steve's hair. I hope he was pleased with the result? 

Mr Motivators workout yesterday included one where he carried a shopping bag in each hand, and now and again raised both arms. I think my shopping bags were too heavy to lift them up.

I haven't attempted to buy RW since, but will wait until next week now, as I've plenty of reading to keep me occupied.

I like the picture of all the parcels in the depot, which include Steve's clipping attachment.

It's always good finding new routes to walk and run on. It must have been very frustrating , the dog walkers interrupting your final interval.

It must be worrying with Steve's HR Monitor giving conflicting readings. Does it operate with a chest strap, or work from the wrist?

The weather here has been lovely and sunny, and I ran 8 miles yesterday and 6.6 miles today in the forest.

I will be out again this evening at 8 pm clapping the NHS and Care workers.
  • Options
    I need to work 20 more Saturdays before the end of the year and if park run starts again this year I should be able to to do about 10 if it starts in the next few months.
    Work has been so busy with people ordering stuff for delivery and us only giving 15min collection appointments for our own staff safety. Its been a busy hard week.