Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep, I have logged out of both, first one clearly needs you to be onboard and step through each question to make it work. I was hoping the second was a "take it any time" type thing - obviously not, but when I played it, it ran all the way through.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Right! This time I think I have got it limits on this one are 10 questions per quiz and it'll only stay open until 20 responses are made - but that sounds OK to me, plus I just logged off and I can do it!

It'll have a register button, but it's not really registering much, I cut it down to first name only, that needs to be unique so if Sue comes along and tries to register when another Sue has already done so (for this quiz) it won't let her in. So you can put what you like in there, you are not registering anything to do with your true identity if you don't want to :) 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH, I too want to challenge myself, it's got to be at least 45k, but I really want the full distance - damn - if we were race fit we'd be tapiring around now!

• Options
    Malaysian tapirs! Lovely photo.
    I'd be tempted to do the 90K, and my fitness -would- allow it - except that all being well I have NDW50 (rescheduled) three weeks later, and I'm sure my coach will say it wouldn't be good for my training plan. The 45K I might be able to swing...
    Re. quiz, I just follwed the link and got 'Quiz not found, please check the URL entered'...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    They just swam across my back garden - someone took the quiz OK this morning but I too get not found now - I wonder if 19 non-contributing lurkers have taken it and expired it :D I'll log in and see what's going on.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well that's a weird thing, some spaces crept into the web link breaking it...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hmm - I better go for the half Comrades - no point stressing my recovery too far too soon - slow and steady wins the race. Great that they have included 5k, 10k , arf a sixpence, I mean marafon, very inclusive - big party world wide - I am trying to press gang friends etc into it :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Gahh! Not overly clear how friends can enter, I've sent a few my original e-mail and the enter button is keyed to my personal details? Looks like I have to enter (and therefore pay for them) myself?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bahh! So I pays 250 zeds to charity and they make me a charity page and don't list it!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Not clear if the usual cut-offs apply and whether you lose your medal or not?
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Quiz worked - I was rubbish 2/5.

BA have now cancelled my last flight standing! Will try phoning tomorrow.

Ummming and asaaahing about the virtual Comrades... all depends on what Hardrock say about their race... decision due 31 May...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wow! I am in my console and we have 5 entries, Becca is wiping the floor with everyone - all know their alcohol really well :D someone called Suzie completed as well :)

I suppose you don't have to treat it as a hardcore Comrades attempt SD, just choose a distance and speed appropriate to your training, I'm assuming we all get the same medal :)
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Lowrez - true - but I did fancy the full monty...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ahh, me too, but I have gone for the half, I must be sensible for once :D ... doesn't look like there are any quotas or entry limits SD, looks like you can wait ... I have already bombarded info with the questions above ... good job they don't have general knowledge quizzes at each cut-off for you to get past too :D
  • Options
    I'm going to be sensible and go for the 45K as well, as I'm hopefully running NDW50 three weeks later. Will use the half-Comrades to recce from Knockholt Pound onwards along the NDW100 route. Aiming to use the Centurion One Community Event (or maybe 50K Centurion, 50K SVN) to recce for the NDW50 - my wonderful husband says he'll do the driving to drop me off and pick me up, and ditto for 14th June.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I really want to do the full thing, but will likely be sensible and do the 45kms
  • Options
    I'm going to do the 45k too as I'm supposed to be doing 30miles that day anyway. Excellent idea to recce some of the NDW100 route Debra. Might have to persuade Mr SS to do some driving too.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to do the 45k option.

And Debra, you could always avoid entering for a few weeks until you find out if NDW50 is actually going to be run. Unless things drastically change over the next couple of weeks, unfortunately I can't see it being on. EA have already extended their restriction on races up until June 30th....hope I'm wrong though..
  • Options
    Marty: I think 45K would be more sense anyway. To do 90K I would need to stay nearer to home, do loops. With 45K I can carry enough food and more importantly water for the whole outing, and use it for a NDW recce.
    Snail: makes sense, doesn't it? I've not been out on the NDW east of Knockholt Pound at all yet. Last year I recced for the SDW100 by doing the Devil's Challenge (didn't matter that the Devil's Challenge finished over the Seven Sisters, because I remembered the last bit of SDW100 route okay from SDW50) - it was great being able to recce it with aid stations provided!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Having got over the psychological barrier of accepting I won't do the 90 I'm into a mindset where the distance doesn't matter, I might even slump to half a marathon if training etc doesn't go ideally. Ramped up the core efforts a bit yesterday and being wimpy in my uncomfortableness today, probably won't go for that run, will research some quiz questions instead :D
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm erring towards the half marathon as well, same reasons as lowrez, that distance doesn't matter.  The alternative would be to run out to Beacon Hill, which is like a mini Comrades hill, and back and that would be about 45km.  A solo 45km isn't quite the same as Comrades though.
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about the virtual race, or even which distance or if I'll be off work as I've canceled my leave. But this was running yesterday in 39 degrees, have to wear a face mask or face a 3000 Dirham fine (£660)!!

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow! You gangsta Dubai :D and in that heat, amazing :)
  • Options
    Wow! I suppose at least if you have the Buff and that's acceptable you don't need to worry about needing to go buy a mask - but it's not going to help comfort in hot temperatures.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Dubai - can't tell if you are smiling or grimacing!  I know what 39C feels like from when I was in Abu Dhabi.   I was often on the verge of heat stroke.  Cycling was easier or golf with a buggy and aircon!
    I'm planning on the full for the virtual.  I don't have any Ultras pending so a clear diary for the 14th June!  No big 5 in my neigbourhood :-)
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, thanks.

Debra, got plenty of masks as needed every time we need the house.

Mac3, it’s also Ramadan at the minute so no water!

• Options
    Mac3: good luck! How are you organising it? Loops back to base? Or do you know places you can get water on the way?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    If anyone would like to join me tonight I'm hanging out in a virtual conference space I have named HatLand

No registration, its free and there is no time limit, the only technical requirements is; you have to wear a hat, well that's not actually going to be enforced :D

This feat of ingenuity is merely to illustrate that we can meet for free, if we want, and in fact anyone can use this gyzmo anytime they like for their own purposes.

So the idea is we can, at a better arranged time, congregate here, do a quiz, have a chat, have a ball! This try-out tonight is just to do a bit of technology proving, and show off some hats :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yay! Successful test with McH in her Comrades cap :) she's gone for her tea now... I'm going to pour a coke, but I'll be back in a sec :)