Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Good stuff Bus, nice outing again SG.

Finally happy with a TT - managed a 4.27 over 1500 over the local track this evening. 71 first lap, then not sure until 3.17  at the bell and a rally to the finish. Not too many kids, scooters, bikes etc in the way thankfully.

It's a virtual 1500 to take the place of the 1m road relays at Shapwick - run by the club my brother runs for in Poole. Lots of quality athletes from the 80's now in their 60's and 70's.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice one Simon. Rapid solo effort.
    Great when that happens Bus. Maybe you should vary your routes a bit more often. Easy to get stuck in a rut.
    On which note - good to see you’re still embracing the novel off-road routes SG.
    I’m down in S.Devon for 3 days. 10.4M Tuesday & 16M yesterday both along the SWCP. Then today was 13.8M up to Hay Tor from Liverton along green lanes & back along Devon’s oldest railway - the Templer Way a granite tramway which took granite from the quarries at Hay Tor down to Teignmouth on granite rails. All slow plodding average pace in the 9-11 min/mile but great fun. There’ll be a few feet of elevation in there too though I’ve not been seeking it out as needed to let the body recover a bit after the weekend’s exertions. Last day tomorrow.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Nice one SC that's fairly swift. Jools do you know all these routes from experience or do you just do research?

First meaningful real life action for me last night. 10 mile TT, last summer I had a bit of a freak/breakthrough doing 21:15 on this course. Last night I actually produced more power but was slower with 21:33 for 6th place out of 57. Fairly happy with the placing, but hopefully there's another 34 seconds available once some ring rust has come off. Going again next week and will target sub 21.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine you have to be very brave to go all in on a cycle! As unless you're on that massive long cycle only path in Bristol, you must be sharing the road with random numptereenos!

Back to Slough for a seg-fartlek type job.

7 segs attempted, 8 efforts (one of them twice), and bagged 5.
    5.10 for a half mile one probably the best one that counted.

Usual hard luck story. The 2 I didn't get, pace wise would have got.
    One my own fault for not realising the route snaked off left slightly at 95% of the way in :D 
    The other, despite me starting and finishing beyond the map, and it basically being a follow a straight path, then turn and follow a straight line didn't register my pace versus it.

Inexplicably both still logged me as finishing the seg, but at 11-14min miling, so somehow me crouching down recovering triggered it. Bonkers.

Seem to have some odd slight tight ache in both the front, on my stomach, and at the side/back. Must just be a tight muscle, so i'll have a go at easing that off...but for now, a lovely SAT OFF, as that was pretty warm today!

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a standard Friday SG. Another good haul.
    Decent return to outdoor racing Reg. If your Zwift numbers are to be believed you should definitely improve on last year’s impressive time.
    I researched running routes round Dartmoor & found the Templer Way. Managed to follow my nose & the gradient from my parking spot up to Hay Tor & then it was pretty straightforward to follow it back though I missed a turn & ended up improvising the last 3 miles :D The South West Coast Path is pretty comprehensively way-marked, though sometimes they’re broken/overgrown so occasionally I’ll go wrong/have to stop to figure out the correct path. 
    10M Fartlek today doing a few undulating laps of the block + a flat out & back along the sea front. I’d researched the local segs & figured they’d give some structure to the efforts even if they were out of reach. I should have triggered 9 with 8 efforts. I’ll find out when I upload tonight.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Don't keep us in suspenders son ;)

Big news from the English Athletics update is that club runs can restart now, IF, and that's the big word, it's in a "covid secure environment". Unlimited numbers too (unlike Wales which was 30)

This was the big first step before you can even dream about having any sort of club event / race.

But to balance that back out, Gosport have binned their November half.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking virtual 1500m Simon (although it was an actual 1500m too!).

Reg - I wasn't impressed when I saw your TT on Strava, thinking "I could do that". That was until I realised I'd read it as 31:33 and not 21:33!  Not bad for a rusty old bloke I guess  B)

Nice segging again SG. Don't worry about that slight ache thing either - once your a vet there's always one of those involved somewhere  :D

Jools - nice week to be running on the SWC path, and your earlier post was probably the most educational we've had - geology, geography and history all thrown in  :) As for doing different route, I always intend to, and enjoy them when I do, but usually when it comes down to it I just can't be arsed to get in the car! Slightly spoiled by having decent enough trail runs from my back door I guess!

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    So: loads of bling today & even 2 CRs albeit both on the same loop.
    Totally weird one I triggered a short hill sprint twice in the same section of the run. 1st when I ran past the bottom of the street so I could start with a slight DH gradient to accelerate into it rather than coming from a slight UH. It then triggered again for the effort fortunately as I managed 5th in spite of it being used by a local running club for hill reps. It is a stupidly short one: 100m but still not sure how it can register it twice! Over 1500’ in the 10M too.
    Legs & body are back so it must be time to smash myself at (not) Parkrun tomorrow.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Love the SWCP, only ever run the very first (or last bit) on Purbeck during a LSR when at home :) Very interesting stuff Jools. Hope to walk the SWCP when i'm retired, or perhaps all of the new joined up coastal path? Good cycle TT Reg, likewise bling hunting from SG..

Regarding England Athletics, many coaches and club admin getting fed up with the EA an their lack of action on getting a bit of normality back - especially as compared to other sports. 800M in lanes? ridiculous.

Anyway - Good session on the grass at Wrest Pk yesterday - 5 x 1200, roughly 3.58's i think, off 90 secs recovery.

Long run today - put the Adios on and ran to watch the kid play cricket over in Flitwick, came to 15.85 miles, 6.42 pace. Feet and back weren't as bad as expected with a bit less cushioning. Thought i'd get the 'Wall run' segment as I won't be running out that way for a while, took 30 secs off the previous leader to get it down to 5.53. Strava wanker LOL.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - our lot are getting hung up on there being a line in the "secure covid environment" bit about only having 1 coach per 12.

But i'm pretty certain that's a guidance thing not a rule, and more related to track stuff.
    As when have you ever seen tonnes of coaches for a road club? We'd need 5-6 for some of our mass sessions!

There's so many groups just doing their own thing anyway, it's all a bit of a farce. Some newbie joined, and on her "welcome" thread, some random said "good to see you at the sesh"

What sesh?! :D   
    You strava animal. addictive innit.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

15 for me then, basically an 8miler on the road to Marlow, then exploring a footpath about 300metres up Wycombe road, to emerge close to where I'd tested the other day, up by John Lewis/Holmers Farm way in Wycombe.

Feared the worst when I had to stop the clock for a bit to get through tonnes of stingers - can still feel the bastad tingling now!
    Had to judge whether it was just a mad 50metre or so, or would last for the whole 1-2miles :D  

Had a stick out and was smashing them down, must have looked bonkers.

Then into a nice woody path, that felt fairly flat, ever so slight incline.
    Had to get past some sort of OAP cycle gang, 6-7 of them, all typically in single file on the tightest bit of the route, of course :)

Easy to follow route, through some very narrow grassy banked thin line for 0.25miles, then to Ragman's Lane - the top part, as the bottom part is super steep.

Small up on a field, and back to Wycombe, for a nice 3.5miles or so back.

The bit I can't quite work out, is where the elevation kicked in. Wycombe road, has quite an up, and Ragman's lane if I'd gone that way certainly does.

But on this route, it must have been very gradual, but it inclined a full 230feet over 1 mile, and 300 over about 1 1/3rd.

Can only imagine the first bit of Wycombe road had a bit of that elevation to the footpath, and then path had a very gradual, perfectly consistent gradual incline the whole way!
    Or I didn't realise it when overtaking So OAP Crew.

Whom which managed to pop up near the end of my run too, gang blocking the last bit, so I just had to walk for 20paces, before it opened up totally.

7.23 or so, but as there was a 9.20 or so mile in there for the 230feet one, plus the offroading for a stretch, makes sense!

Felt 100% fine during, but have a few of these weird aches, and obvs the tingling of nettles now!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice long runs and Strava wankery chaps  ;)

25 miles on the bike yesterday, including an eventful road rage incident (of course). Guy in a range rover goes by too close for comfort, so I make a gesture of "hey, what you playing at!" type of thing. Nothing rude, but clearly annoyed him enough to be giving me the finger and shaking his fist so much that he swerved to the side of the road and almost ended up in a hedge! Followed by a bit of brake checking, slow driving and then away. I caught up with him shortly after as he hit the lights on Cookham bridge. Altercation of words ensued, with his wife being admirably silent and unconcerned. Amongst the many exchanged unpleasantries, two stuck in my mind - him "I've passed a test to drive, have you?" Me - "yes, I have a driving licence, a PSV licence and am a Bikeability Level 3 trainer" (some of which is true) and second one, having spotted me taking a photo of his reg on the basis of him being a nutterwho nearly wiped me out "you were cycling no handed, how fucking dangerous is that? NO fucking handed!!!" To which I replied "yes, I cycled no handed for a few yards, but you drive no-brained permanently. How fucking dangerous is that?". I'm sure his wife smirked at that one....

And then today. 15 ambling, humid miles and with half a mile to go, coming through a little gravel car-park, I spot a bloke with two small girls on bikes and two dogs, just about to head on to a narrow, tree lined path. So, I shout out a cheery "morning" so he can hold on to his dogs and let me pass in the open space of the car-park. His first daughter is already on the path, his second, sensibly stays where she is, but he turns round, looks at me, and then strides onto the path with a dog on a lead on either hand, taking the full width. So, I shout "excuse me" to which he replies, "er, no mate, you'll have to wait"!!!!! Wait where? For what exactly? Now I get this social distancing lark (hence my greeting/warning on good time for him to let me pass in the car park) and am happy to stop, move to one side for walkers when its easier for me to do than them, but in this case, short of stopping dead in the car park and waiting for him to stroll a few hundred metres with his two dogs there was nothing I could do other than jump over his dog and carry on on my way! His daughters managed to sort themselves out no problem, but not him.

Right, cathartic post over, now off to find new ways to hate people  B)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Anyone had one of their runs or segments flagged on Strava?

I've just had one, and tried to work out why - the message was "looks like your GPS was having a bad day"!.  Turns out, it had a random seg CR from 2011 on it, just behind my house, which was pretty sharp, but feasible - 5:17 pace for just 0.17M and dead flat. I was also at my peak PB time with a 36:15 10k a month before and a 36:16 a month after.  Bit weird why someone would flag it, though a HX runner did get 9th place on it a couple of days ago, so maybe he thought 5:17 was too quick!

Hey ho - Strava gives and option to click that says "there's nothing wrong with this activity, trust me", so I did  :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - hopefully those posts won't be like "candyman" rustling up menaces from the past :D 

Done plenty of seg flagging in my time, but obvs not yours!
    PM the HX runner name out of interest :)

Presumably there's a button just to reclaim it?
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I think the “it’s fine, trust me “ button is the one.    
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Stevie G said:
    Bus - hopefully those posts won't be like "candyman" rustling up menaces from the past :D 

Done plenty of seg flagging in my time, but obvs not yours!
    PM the HX runner name out of interest :)

Presumably there's a button just to reclaim it?

:) 

Range Rovers! I'd say that 90% of near misses when out on two wheels are by elements driving aiming these vehicles.

What do they say? "Bloody cyclist!". 'No mate, I'm a man riding a bike, you're just a cunt driving a car'.

Power meter to be added next week.

Running on hold. 

🙂

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed your weekend exploits Bus, comforts me that there are others out getting embroiled in argument too. I have no issues with Range Rovers really, Nissan Navaras are my pick as they're normally driven by angry plebs.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice 10..well 10.5 exploring a bit more offroad.

Namely behind Wooburn park woods. Aimed to exit those towards holtspur direction yet somehow, 10mins later ended at the exact same spot😱

Freestyled a route through some fields for a quick way back, with one eye on the 1pm work call that shapes the future😐

Just about back washed and 5mins to load zoom etc
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ok, 6 more weeks furlough then :D 

Like a kid on summer holidays!

Weird glaze of stomach tightness both sides at the mo, with sore as heck nipples.
    Have googled, and I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, so goodness knows :)

Feels 100% running, oddly!

Thank goodness the footy is on at the moment to fill this massive void, along with these runs.

Uh-oh strava message, some tag team of clowns had apparently taken 41seconds off one of my segs.
    A 0.15mile one.

That'd take Usain Bolt driving a car I reckon!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's just all so weird SG  B) Tag team?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Two family members who share an account which is unusual.

One of these odd activities that looks legit on first glance. 5miles at 7.40 pace or something.

But quickly unravels with a 3.40 mile followed by 12. Hour extra elapsed time and 1-2min miling at the end.
    Just bizarre to even attempt to explain.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

7M early doors today. Expecting it to be a slog, but actually felt quite good once I'd got going. Lovely morning for it, if a tad chilly - almost needed gloves at one point!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Gloves! I can't even imagine it needing those for a long time. Although I have run earlier than 10.30 only about 2-3 times in 4months now!

Went out to the Ghetto Woods again - the lawless woody plains that separate the proletariat low ground Micklefielders, from the up in the hills bourgeoisie landed gentry like Bus :D 

Usual deal, trudged out an exceptionally slow mile in there, 9.20 or so, including a racing HR, and steep climb or two.

Whenever you step back onto roads it feels like you've suddenly gone up a couple of levels of class! 

Into Hazlemere, presuming I'd find some nice path back into the woods from a different angle. Totally failed on this, despite asking some geezer, stopped for a bit.
    It really is true that you only tend to remember the first direction as a rule!

Although I did remember the "if you see Curzon road, you've gone too far", just as I reached Curzon road. Although the woods before that were going into a different direction anyway.

Note - always mention the direction you're aiming for to someone, not just that you want some "woods" :D

Back through some random roads, onto some park - asked some teens which park it was, never heard of it, and back out of the park.

Eventually back the way I'd come, and the glory of a descent on a massive hill. Glorious.
    Half wondering where exactly I'd covered this 300 or so feet climb earlier to get that high, but glad to be on the way down.

11.5miles.
    We go again tomorrow.

ps TR, you out there chap?
    Have missed your no messing 1 liners of massive distance!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yes, not had much to contribute, same old shit different week at my end, 21m saturday (last 11m at mp +10%), 15m yday (last 5m at mp +10%), did 18 inc 13.1 mp last week which averaged 6.40 on an undulating route so heading towards 2.50 shape.

Noted the gosport 1/2 cancellation friday, worthing 1/2 did the same friday. Both 2000 runner races, so the impending road running update due this week will obviously only allow smaller races. Shame re the two 1/2s, i fancied my sub80 chances at those.

Hopefully smaller races can go ahead soon though. Its the drinks stations that might cause difficulties. Ib be happy for no drinks in 1/2 or less myself, but i bet its not allowed.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I noted some of the elites mention they can go drink-less in half marathons, in non warm conditions, and I think I've come close to trying it.

Reading half in 2015 I think I didn't until about 10-11 miles, but then one chug of water, and I went into some magical turbo drive and ditched those I'd been neck and neck with, so i probably wouldn't go drink-less these days.

Shorter stuff, right time of year definitely.  But probably some sort of health and safety that definitely wouldn't allow some option of drinks.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, i cant see how a load of slobbery cups on the road for a marshall to pick up will pass a covid risk assessment. Rules could say stop and drink and dispose of cup, or carry a bottle i suppose
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's a race organiser aiming to do a range of distances on a race course in October.

Think it's 5k, 10k, Half, 16m, marathon.

All needs England Athletics to allow any racing I'm sure, but could be interesting to do say a 16miler for something totally different. Wouldn't need to go all in either, as it'd have no comparison, just an easy/steady job.

But I suppose if this is back, there will be many an option.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    looks like you just missed the footpath into the woods by the golf course when you turned left onto the main Penn-Hazlemere Rd Sg. Funnily enough I never really get over that way, as it involves about a mile of road. It would be fine if there wasn't a 10 foot high fence round the golf course and the woods between the two hadn't also been fenced off! Bastards!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Weird? thought I'd posted that hours ago!

Same old boring but mightily impressive long runs then TR  ;)

Second run this evening and guess what? Yep, hilly off-road! Just shy of 6 miles to make a nice 13.1 for the day. All relatively pacey too, so happy enough (apart from getting bitten/stung by some bastard thing just before home - painful enough to make me stop and shout a very rude word out loud  o:))
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - you are doing ok too, to be able to double.

Theres a multi distance day at Goodwood motor cct end of Sept and early Dec, so i might jump on those if vlm and brighton get cancelled this week.