Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great work Stan, you smashed it :)
    That's a great marathon result too Peter.
    With the SAA currently forcing Comrades to stage the race in June I don't understand why entries are not open and a qualification period has not been declared. Obviously everything must be normal now with no risk whatsoever and ample qualification races available. Yep plenty of ostrich heads in the sand all round. Is Trump president of the SAA?
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's still possible to visit SA, and go running while you're there :)
  • Options
    Well done all on your recent "real" races.  I've had to make do with virtual offerings which just isn't the same!  Talking of which, has anyone received their virtual comrades medals / t-shirts etc. yet?  
  • Options
    Dannirr - super cool photo

Peter - I haven't received any medals etc from Comrades yet. To be honest, I'd completely forgotten about them till you said that.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    No medal received here either, I had also forgotten. 
  • Options
    No medal or T-shirt yet for me either, alas. I remember wondering about this sometime in the last couple of weeks - I think when someone in my club posted on FB about getting their London Marathon medal & T.
  • Options
    No, I've not had anything either. I'd forgotten about it, but they did post on instagram at the end of August that they'd already sent out 70% of the race packs, so unless they're being held up by customs they should arrive soon. Shouldn't they?
  • Options
    Medals and stuff are being sent in bulk to the ambassadors who will then distribute them - so keep an eye on Dave Ross’s social media to see when he takes delivery of the package!
  • Options
    Thanks Slow Duck, that makes sense.. I think they are just a bit behind schedule!  Did everyone read about Courtney Dauwalters 68 hour performance in Bigs Backyard Ultra?  Amazing!
  • Options
    Slow Duck: I'd missed that info - thanks for sharing; good to know.
    PeterDHM: thanks for the info about the Big's Backyard Ultra; I've just read the story - amazing. And the Belgians pushed it to 75!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh no! I wore a black buff balaclava style over my head to enhance the Darth Vader look which will have impaired my hearing during my Comrades run so I better check the ambassador's website, I've probably been disqualified :(
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Why go to the effort of saying absolutely nothing...

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It seems like a pointless announcement.
    The only thing I can think of is that perhaps CMA were getting loads of calls and e-mails asking about entries for 2021?...this would stop them for a while...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'll call them now to confirm :D
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Trouble-maker! :smiley:
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I would think if it wasn't the 100th year anniversary, they might well pull the plug now. I think they have a difficult decision to make with regards entries. Thy can't open up like in previous years and then not give the money back if the race wasn't run, the South Africans would go even more mad.

I listened to a youtube video by Lindsey Parry last night who said he thought they might basically do an invitational event for perhaps 1000 runners. This was just his opinion so no CMA involved in this theory. He said he can't see there being 20000 runners on the start line however maybe 1000 or so and the race would have a feel like it was being run in the 1970's again, if this makes sense??

I think the CMA need to tread carefully and not promise something that can't be delivered. We all want the race to be staged next year, but I think I would prefer knowing now, that the next event as we remember it would be in 2022.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think at best all they're going to be able to do is a London type elite only run.
  • Options
    It's a long shot, but I wonder whether, if there's a vaccine by the spring that could change things. It may make it possible to travel, but of course even if there is one, to begin with most people won't have access to it, so CMA may well decide they can't discriminate against people who can't get vaccinated.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the country wouldn't be in such a mess if you were in charge lowrez!!!! :)

Good luck tomorrow for the Halloween 100 Debra. I know the weather shouldn't play any part in my decision not to run, but looking at what is forecast, I know I made the correct choice to give this a miss this year. Enjoy, if you can and don't get blown off the cliff.
  • Options
    Hi Marty, the weather isn't looking great! Oh well. It does mean we're not going up and down the sea wall, as it's expected to be closed at some point. I certainly don't mind avoiding all that sea wall concrete, even if it does mean more laps.
  • Options
    good luck Debra. Where is that you’re doing it?
  • Options
    Hope you have a great run Debra, is it normal to run two 100 mile events in such a short time?? Do you not need ages to recover between events?   It’s odd how definition of “normal” changes, being part of this group means I now think it’s normal to run 100 miles! (Not that I’ve seriously considered ping it yet myself), and I think running multiple marathons a year normal!
  • Options
    Samphire Hoe, near Dover. I'll be using my car as my main aid station and it looks like I've got enough for a week, not a day or so. Not only plenty of food but also changes of socks and shoes, windproof and waterproof jackets and trousers, gloves, hats...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hides round the corner from Debra's car so he can chomp on her snacks whilst she is out running another loop...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Actually I am doing fine for snacks, we've just had a new arrival...

• Options
    Hope Debra's going well down at Samphire Hoe. Looks like it's going to get really windy there tomorrow morning, but with any luck she may have finished before the worst of the weather arrives. Just waiting to find out now if we're going to be allowed any more racing after this weekend.
  • Options
    Halloween 100 done. Wasn't my best ever, but I finished, despite strong winds that gusted up to 60mph on Saturday and 72mph on Sunday. Legs were just too tired to keep running against the wind after that returned during the night after a few hours of relative calm. But I thought of the T-shirt and kept going!
  • Options
    ... the medal and buckle were pretty good as well.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bootifil booty Debra. Well impressed that you finished with having to battle through all that. Those words are so true on the back of your buckle.