Options

Comrades 2021

1293031323335»

Comments

• Options
    use this here on Lowrez?
    Just had an email from Cambridge which was already postponed 6 months, it reads.....

As outlined in last month’s email, due to the ongoing pandemic, we are currently unsure of the safe capacity for this year’s event.  

Therefore, we believe a ‘weighted’ ballot, in favour of local residents, offers us the greatest flexibility to ‘keep the event local’ should we need to operate at a reduced capacity. The aim of the ballot is to give us accurate data of exactly who is genuinely interested in taking part this October and importantly where they come from.  

Basically, 2021 is not the "Happy New Year" we all thought and hoped it would be, at least from a runner's perspective!

• Options
    Mark A: Where did you find that? It's not on the main CMA website...
    Not exactly a surprise. Here's hoping my Centurion 100s all happen and I complete them and get the Grand Slam.
  • Options
    I saw it on Instagram Debra, guess as Lowrez says on FB too (but I don't use that wrist cutting site much, and even less after watching Social Dilemna) If you recall last year they announced it on social media before the newsletter too, I guess it gives them a chance to see reactions and address them in one newsletter, rather than poor Wynn having to write a second very long one again which must have given her a  lot of stress.

Debra, I am thinking to enter the Centurion Slam, not sure of I can backdate my miles from start of Feb though (must check today), am also doing One Love this weekend, and the next one. This month I am doing an Accumulator too, wanted to do for few years, February obviously easiest month (especially when not a leap year!) it can and will only get harder, but something to focus on!
  • Options
    Mark A: I'm pretty sure that miles since the start of Feb count for the Virtual Slam whenever you actually register for it.
  • Options
    I'd given up on Comrades in '21 quite a while back so guess not a surprise to hear of the cancellation. Commiserations to anyone who had plans in place & had gotten in a lot of training. 

Personally I'm unsure about '22, will wait & see how vaccinations etc go over the next few months.
  • Options
    Thanks Mark, just seen their Tweet as well. Hopefully they will roll over our entries to 2022. Wonder if they'll make it a down year, and award back to back medals for 2019 runners, or if they'll carry on with the previous plan of 2022 being an up?
    Debra, Slow Duck, hope SDW100 goes ahead for you now. Hopefully I'll be there volunteering and can say a brief hello.
  • Options
    I’m pretty sure 22 will be all that 20 was meant to be and more. It was never going to happen in June, and unlikely for any time later in the summer too, I doubt they’ll even consider that this year. But Jkissane it WILL go ahead in 22, have faith. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I've assumed down on the new 2022 thread Stan, last actual run was an up. Come on over and start commenting, you too JK, we gotta see you in 2022 :)
  • Options
    Good call and glad to see it was decided well in advance.

I have been busy strengthening my hips and not running.  June was anyway too close for me to be an ultramarathon runner again.

See you in 2022
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Bike It, good to know you are getting back in shape -  might you be good for a virtual 5K or so this year if they announce it?
  • Options
    Round is a shape Lowrez.......That is the kind of shape I am in..... Nevertheless I would be wanting to be able to do the virtual 21km.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Round is good for a down run :D - 21k is great shape too! We will have to free video-call at days end again like we all did last year :) lets hope it goes head.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Virtual is going ahead! With celebrations on 24th May too :)

"... the good news is that the Comrades Centenary Celebrations are imminent. With the very first Comrades Marathon having been held on Tuesday, 24 May 1921, the CMA will launch its Centenary Celebrations on Monday, 24 May 2021.

Other great news is that the CMA has confirmed that its 2nd Comrades Marathon virtual event will take place on Sunday, 13 June 2021 in which runners will be able to run in any location, outside in their garden, or neighbourhood, all at their own pace, in a similar fashion to last year’s successful inaugural Race the Comrades Legends which saw 43,788 participants from more than 100 nations uniting in a single virtual event.

Details of the virtual event, the Comrades Centenary Celebrations and other innovative festivities which are in the pipeline will be shared in due course."

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I suggest we operate with two brains from here on - talk about 2021 on this thread, and 2022 here :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Come on The Legends! :) How far are we running?

• Options
    I'm still waiting for my virtual 2020 medal and t-shirt, so im certainly in no rush to enter the virtual 2021 event!   Would love to enter a real event, but with uncertainty and travel restrictions etc. my hands are tied at the minute.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Are you in t' Netherlands Peter? In theory the Comrades Ambassadors have been passed the merch to post on.
  • Options
    Hi lowrez,. Yes I am!  Well.. I had the conversation with the Dutch ambassador a couple of months ago and he said he wasn't distributing them... but there were mixed messages from comrades hq.. so who knows!  I will give them a couple more weeks before my next email!
  • Options
    I suppose I could count the miles run on the Sunday for both SDW100 and a virtual 45K for Comrades, just to join in...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    My daughter forgot to put her address on system months ago after the update email came in, my son and I have received ours. I emailed info and in theory they have posted her medal out separately, been a couplea weeks so far...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You could have a separate device to commence recording at 00:00:01 on 13th Debra, how many ks do you think you will have left by then?
  • Options
    lowrez: not sure - I'd better do some calculation from NDW100 and A100. I sincerely hope not enough for the 90K. And with the early start (e.g. 6.30 or 7am), probably not even the 45K... more calculation needed.
  • Options
    Funnily enough I was trying to work out what the maximum I could run after midnight on the SDW100...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sounds like I could be in good company, currently pitching for a half marathon, not sure what to wear yet though :D
  • Options
    Slow Duck: nice to know I'm not the only one! :smile: