Options

Back of lower thigh pain

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I got a sharp pain at the back of my lower left thigh, just above the knee which stopped me running.

It seemed to get better during the week. But I think I may have left it a week or two to recover.

I was able to run three times the following week and had no issues. Only around 5k each time. But when I went on a run the following Monday the pain was back, near the end of my run so had to walk the last 100 metres or so.

I left it a week, doing some hamstring strength exercises - lifting my legs with my feet on a chair. Everything felt okay.

But last night I only managed to run about two minutes before the pain started to come back so I stopped.

When I feel my leg I don’t feel any tenderness so I’m finding it hard to detect where the issue is. It does ache a bit if a stand a certain way but cannot find any tender points when pressing. The ache gets better after a few days which fools me into thinking it’s better.

Jut wondered if anyone has experience of this issue and any advice on treatment, strength exercises, etc. I can’t seem to find anything online. When I google it points me to upper hamstring or calves.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like an hamstring injury.   Because of the size of the muscle it's not always possible to find the source of the pain/injury, although a physio might.   It's also possible the source is not in the hamstring but coming from elsewhere, say for instance, your back

Hamstring injuries can be slow to heal, try and avoid doing too much stretching or strength work now, you need it to heal.

If you go to a physio they will give you a definite diagnosis and a rehab plan.
  • Options
    Yogi XYogi X ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/SHADES" class="js-userCard" data-userid="17848">SHADES</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">That sounds like an hamstring injury.   Because of the size of the muscle it's not always possible to find the source of the pain/injury, although a physio might.   It's also possible the source is not in the hamstring but coming from elsewhere, say for instance, your back

Hamstring injuries can be slow to heal, try and avoid doing too much stretching or strength work now, you need it to heal.

If you go to a physio they will give you a definite diagnosis and a rehab plan.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks. I’ll try resting it for a while and then see if I need to speak to my physio.