Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Cal - im far less of a coffee boff, i have a £60 Nespresso machine, but only have a few cups a week. Hopefully ydays better news re the heart will enable your running to improve as the stress might lift.

TT - one foot in front of the other, as easy as possible for as long as possible. Control the controllables, dont turn up echausted from mentally overdoing it.

Logistics needed a double today so 8 + 5. Tomorrow is scheduled to be 21 inc 13.1m ~10%, might be a bit too windy for it, we'll see. Entered Abo today as a vlm backup, id like to do both but i cant see my body allowing that.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TT, I hope so...think it'll be tough though. And a lot slower than previous years. But I'm going to focus on whatever race I do in the Autumn and use this one as a comeback.
    New watch turned up...went for a walk to the shops with it on. Once I'd messed about with the screens, it seems not too different from the old one (just double the battery life and a few extra features). Looking forward to trying it out at parkrun tomorrow (albeit a slow and steady parkrun).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    8 easy, 13.1 approx mp +10%. Flipping strong wind made the 13m tough, lots of upwind and some uphill. Exactly the same av and max HR as the same run 4 wks before vlm, but av 7.23 today vs av 7.13 back then.........how much of the 10sec is due to the wind and how much is due to lost fitness remains to be seen........i hope its pretty still for next weekends 13m mp, as thats my fitness indicator with no build up races.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done TR, I hate running in wind. Ugh.

Decided on an easy parkrun today so I went to my 2nd local, Clapham Common. Jogged the mile there, then went around the parkrun in just over 30 minutes (I was somewhat annoyed as my watch said 30 but my official time was 30:14...guess there was a funnel ducker somewhere. Bah. I really need a :00 for my parkrun bingo challenge). 
    New watch worked fine and I had it paired up with my HRM but was rather surprised to see my HR average 180 for the last mile. I was pushing a little, but not going all out for obvious reasons, and I was going easy enough that I could thank the marshals as I went past. Not sure if something's inaccurate or it's just that high as I've been poorly. I certainly didn't feel like I'd had a hard run after...I know when I push it because I spend the next hour or so coughing.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Instinctively I’d say that HR is wrong, Cal. But then spoons get very, very high heart rates after a break so who knows. 

Strong session in the wind, TR. 

Some absolutely cracking runs from you this week, TT. 

Nice session, OO. I too can admit some excitement with the arrival of the Manchester number. Not least because it is one fewer race day faff 😆 

BIG week from Jools, and a superb linen MP run from Macca. 

Westy, racing shoes have certainly moved on in the last few years. Worth trying out I’d say. Lots of brands with the carbon plates now so no need to go with a brand you don’t like. 

Funny old week with household covid cases tripling, but chicken pox remaining stable 😆

Two short treadmill recoveries on Wednesday, buggy 10M slow Thursday, then a session Friday: 5M easy on the road, then a further 6M in the treadmill with 15 x min hard (5:22 pace), min float (6:45). Treadmill paces need a massive pinch of salt, but a tough yet pleasing session nonetheless. As we approach the marathon, I’m keen to do more ‘float’ recoveries. 

Ten mile total today, slow and the first three with buggy. Would have done less, but zero opportunity tomorrow. 

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Westy - any recommendations to book a meal after the race? In a perfect world something logistically easy, but perhaps still with a view onto the slower finishers? We are staying in Timperley so could be there but presumably more of an atmosphere nearer Old Trafford. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Sorequads said:
    Westy - any recommendations to book a meal after the race? In a perfect world something logistically easy, but perhaps still with a view onto the slower finishers? We are staying in Timperley so could be there but presumably more of an atmosphere nearer Old Trafford. 

If going straight after race then you could walk to Chorlton (about 10/15min walk) which has quite a few nice little restaurants/bars and where the last few miles of the marathon route goes through, something like Mary & Archie is nice...or get on a tram and go into the city centre, and then depends what sort of place you're after...groovy places in Northern Quarter, chinese/thai/vietnamese in china town, big pub/restautants in castlefield. My fave place in the whole wide world is This And That which is a cheap and cheerful curry cafe in Northern Quarter, but maybe you might want something a bit more up market!
    Or if you want to be nearer where you are staying there are lots of places in Sale/Timperley/Altrincham too.

Sorry, all a bit vague, ran 22mi this morning and I feel a bit banjaxed.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    15 West thank you for putting some ideas out about food, we have not decided whether to eat in Manchester or head back! But it's always good to have some ideas. Well done on the 22. 

SQ good to see a fellow TM runner! 

Cal well done for being back out at park run. Enjoy the new watch. 

TR good run in the wind there. Like many I prefer a calm day. 

Out for just over 12 this morning, steady,  run to feel and a little quicker than I would have liked, bit better that way round. The taper starts tomorrow.........
    Physically it's now a case of not getting injured. Any advice on the mental aspect???
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - sounds high to me, best check it against another watch and strap.

Good mix as usual SQ, good idea on the floats.

TT - you should start feeling really crap when you run as the taper starts to work, you will probably get all sorts of aches and pains too. All of this is normal, so take it as the taper doing its thing.

had a bizarre hour or so of sneezing and runny nose yday afternoon (so ill claim some of that as affecting my run yday too), still felt a bit under par today, but decided to do the planned turbo session which was ok, slight stitch type thing in the later reps which reminded me of sessions post CV.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TT don’t panic if your legs feel like crap, don’t be tempted to ‘test’ your fitness. You’ve had an excellent campaign which has you in a great place to achieve your goal with a safety margin should the weather be less than perfect too.
    Cal parkrun successfully negotiated. Were you consciously crossing the line on 30:00 - mildly irritating if so.
    Great TM session SQ. Day off today then - is it because you’re the only non CV patient?
    Parkrun yesterday around my local boggy woodland course. 3rd in an underwhelming 21:30. Bit alarmed by a sudden sharp agonising pain in my right glute a mile into my warm-up. Had to walk for a couple of minutes. Really wasn’t convinced I’d get round at all but managed to jog the last 700m to the start ok so figured I’d risk it. Was ok during the run, though I was conscious of it particularly in the slippier sections, but really stiff & painful after. Hung around drinking tea & chatting til the end then helped dismantle the finish area before jogging back to the car. Lovely & sunny so dusted off the bike after brunch. Cycled 15M into a headwind to see my daughter showjumping then back via the scenic route: 52.4M all in. Legs were cooked so really wasn’t sure about today’s LR.
    5th (& final?) 20M of my Mara campaign, all on Forest fire trails apart from mile 19 which climbed 258’ through logging churnings. 33K with 1270’ of climb in 2:53. Not fast but unbroken. Easy few days ahead now before a jam-packed racing weekend.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jools, no, I just ran at a pace that was pushing a bit but not too much. I was just happy to see the time on my watch, then rather cross when the result came through. What can you do?
    I hope your glute isn't anything serious - I guess it isn't if you got through a hilly 20. Be careful though eh?
    Well done SQ...I guess you have to fit in what you can when you can. Fair play.
    TR, sorry to say that that's how my cold started so take it easy and hit the Vit C hard.
    TT, beware the taper tantrums, aka maranoia. Stuff might hurt...it's probably not serious. Just watch out for germy people and wash your hands as though it was the first Covid lockdown.

I had intended to do a run yesterday but didn't feel right. I felt ridiculously tired on Saturday evening and ended up crawling into bed at 8:30 and was asleep 15 minutes later. Still felt tired when I woke at 5 so ended up sleeping another 45 minutes and still didn't feel remotely like hauling myself out for a run. So I took that as a sign that I should rest.
    It seems to have worked because I felt good this morning and went out and banged out 14 miles, most of them under 11 pace (I was particularly pleased to manage 10:49 for a mile that featured a half-mile long hill with 59m of climb). I did start to feel a bit fatigued around 11 miles, but it was a dry run (ie fasted and I didn't take water or gels) so I'm not too surprised about that. Average pace was 10:33 which is about what I used to do for longer runs (though I daresay I used to have a lower HR as well at that pace. Today was still a bit high towards the end and up the hills but I've been ill so I guess that is why).
    It's a bit of a balancing act trying to do enough to partly make up for lost time without overdoing it (and without knackering myself ahead of next Sunday's half). Given I've had two weeks off with the cold and some lighter weeks when I was racing, I don't think I really need to taper much as my legs aren't exactly full of miles.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Westy - 22m, nice and understated, great stuff.  Box ticked. 
    Jooligan - I said on another forum and say it again, impressed and amazed by your running feats and streak. #487 is incredible given the times we have been leaving in. All coming together nicely for Brighton.
    Cal - Good listening to your body and an impressive 14m.  
    TR - Get Vitamin/ zinc dosing. But not a bad time to get a sniffle. 
    TT - The hard work is done now, be a machine.  A few faster sessions over the next 3 weeks to put the icing on the cake. 
    SQ - A good mix of running and a good TM session.  Impressive Covid avoidance.

Another 71m week.  Didn't feel great yesterday but perked up late afternoon to  run 15m @ 7.45 to a local beach along the river trail. An enjoyable and pretty run just as the light was starting to fade. Feel I missed out on a long run so might try and edge 20m in on Tuesday.
  • Options
    TT - re NY, I would want to stay as long as poss although in reality 4 or 5 days might be as much as I could negotiate.  Application still “pending” so hopefully a good sign.  Re the taper, take confidence from all the good sessions you’ve done, at some point you will probably feel awful, that’s natural, the body has a funny way of preparing for these things.

Westy -  22m 3 weeks out looks suspiciously like P&D, great stuff.

TR - sounds like the mp+10% effort was spot on.  I reckon 10s per mile could easily be due to wind, low level virus etc.

SQ - good luck with the covid avoidance and hope the household recovers quickly.

Jools - look after the glute,  you’ve logged some good LRs with elevation and double race days - makes me wonder what a “jam packed race weekend” looks like.

Cal - good to hear you felt better today.  As you say, a balancing act.

OO - 71 miles is a decent week.  Running to the beach sounds great.

Plan said 22 for me but a bit stretched for time I threw in 3x4m @MP to get it under 3hrs (6:30 Ave MP).  Only 3 more runs of 10+ miles to be done.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR and Jooligan, thank you both for saying what you did, it made me feel much better I switched off the alarm this morning for a 75mins sleep in!

Cal good run there, any ideas about the next three weeks? 

Macca last time we went to NY we did six days and the New Jersey HM, that worked well as there was enough to do that involved sitting down before the HM and enough to do afterwards. Macca you are in Manchester too?

OO I was thinking of the short run being a little faster? Just so I know I can still run at that pace! Were fish and chips involved?? 

Went out later today as I start at 1000 and I normally run at 0600. The sun was shining, windy but it was a slow and very enjoyable run. Felt very short at 10 miles with WU and WD! Decided I can manage wearing trainers for the next three weeks except for one f2f meeting, thank heavens for zoom.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TT, got Hampton Court Palace half next Sunday...was meant to be a tuner upper but I think I'll likely just aim for MP and see how that goes (by MP I don't mean my PB MP, which is 9 minute miles...I will try for 9:30-45 pace though). Aside from that, I'll do another run tomorrow then a shorter run Thursday and parkrun Saturday. Then taper.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Quality session again!
    Jools - Nice long run and elevation.
    TR - Nice MP+10% long run there.
    SQ - Good TM session too.

Needed a race to test where I was at, as have only done an ultra since first lockdown in 2020!! Went back to the same race I got my 10k PB in March 2020, Draycote Water where I ran 38:11. Decided to do a mini taper going into the race, so only 45 miles for the week were planned.
    Wasn't really sure what shape I was in, but figured I'd try for a PB. Felt a bit windy during my 2 mile warm up and still felt windy while waiting for the start. You run about 1k in one direction, then do a hairpin turn and run back through the finish line to then complete a full lap. Went out a bit too quick, but it felt comfortable (5:52), noticed I was around top 10 at this point, running with about 5 others, peeled away from them over the next few miles in 6:06 and 6:02, next group was then further ahead and getting further away. Was running in 4th but overtaking runners who were doing the half marathon which started further around the course. Felt like it was getting tough and mile 4 was done in 6:17. One of the other guys caught me and we ran together for a while until he passed me and mile 5 was done in 6:16. Continued to push and still had the guy in my sights who had passed me, but couldn't seem to catch him, especially running into the wind at this point, wasn't sure at this point if a PB was on or not, but kept pushing to a 6:06 mile, then realised that it was on and pushed on again for the final 0.2m at 5:45 pace. Finished 5th out of 220 (I think) in 37:47 chip time, a 24 second PB and my first sub 38!! Couple of miles to cool down for a 10 mile day.
    Leg's feel OK today, so back on the mileage again this week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good comeback with the 20m jools after the parkrun glute issue, i get things like that i reckon its nerve/sciatic, keeping my lower back released seems to be key

Cal - sounds like the sleep was needed, well done on the run today 

Good going on the afternoon run OO,, fair play, i wouldnt be able to do that on a sunday

Good to mix up the long runs macca, fresh stimulus.

The sleep will have done you good too TT

Steve - thats strong sub3 leg speed. I still think you should do Manchester, you could go well there, fast course and lots to chase after.

Legs were pretty tired today after the weekends efforts so just the 10m tonight.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great result that Steve. Your mix of big miles, easy running & occasional intervals has obviously worked wonders. Big PB 👏👏
    Very positive LR Cal - rest day was well worth it.
    Gorgeous weather today so biked in to work. Legs were stiff & weak so it felt like quite an effort. Busy all day but ran 7.2M along the canal after work. Proper recovery HR & still came out as 8:22 pace. The bike ride home was 10% quicker & easily 10% less effort too. Amazing how much more enjoyable it is without having to constantly battle the wind 😆
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Steve that is a brilliant result, are you heading for Manchester now?

Jooligan totally agree with you about wind, hideous. What HR zone are you running your recovery runs at?

TR well done for even being out with tired legs. 

Out this morning before twilight as the kitchen fitters want to turn off the water and I wanted a shower! WU and WD with five miles at MP. Felt good but back to slow speed on Thursday. 
  • Options
    Steve - great racing.  That’s more than enough speed for a sub 3 attempt, if you’ve done all the MLRs and LRs I would give it a go.

TT - yes in for Mancs (we could do with a list).  Also had confirmation of acceptance from NY last night.  A long way off but I’m almost as excited about the sightseeing as the race.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Steve - That's a great run, well done.
    Macca - Congratulations, I am not surprised, its a great city.
    TT - Good dedication.

Manchester, 3 April, 2022
    Cal
    Macca
    OuchOuch  Red A  #2050  
    SQ    
    SteveMac
    TT
    Westy 

Brighton, 10 April, 2022
    TR
    Jooligan

Stratford Shakespeare, 24 April 2022
    Jooligan
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    I'll be at Stratford Shakespeare.

TR/Macca - Sub 3 pace always feels like a bit too much effort during long runs, whereas planned 7 min/mile pace feels a bit more comfortable. So on the fence as to what to target!
    Macca - Congrats on NY!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT That was a 131bpm average
    Forgot to add: "get loads of sleep" to my tapering advice so congratulations on the lie-in.
    Think you'll be ahead of me at Stratford Steve.
    Congratulations on NY Macca - does that mean you'll not be doing Snowdonia?
    Not got out yet but I'll go up the club this evening for some fartlek stuff.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Manchester, 3 April, 2022
    Cal
    Macca
    OuchOuch  Red A  #2050  
    SQ    
    TT
    Westy 

Brighton, 10 April, 2022
    TR
    Jooligan

Stratford Shakespeare, 24 April, 2022
    Jooligan
    SteveMAc

4m&8m double inc. a 36.41 10 TT, so a further 40 seconds off last weeks and choose not to wear the magic shoes as wanted to make it a tough effort. Also abandoned tomorrows visit to the  Cheltenham races, the thought of 9 hours travelling and a cold wet day swaying it losing out to the desire to do a last steady long run. Feel better for it as the after-effects of a heavy day at Cheltenham has taken me a week or so to shake-off.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - no separate fast starr for Brighton, but a fast wave, so preston park start, hopefully theres separate portaloos etc

TT - well timed early run then.

Steve - 7mm is pretty close to sub3 pave anyway, keep an open mind. Mp is never comfortable in long runs unless you mean comfortably uncomfortable.

Tired 10m inc 14x3min this morning, wasnt sure if my legs would allow it, but got it done, legs were real sore by the end. Easy peasy pace until saturdays big mp run (certainly wont be comfortable, tougher than race day).
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Even more impressive without the magic shoes OO.
    Good on you TR. I’m not on fast start anyway as they lost my claim somehow.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Westy – thank you. They have some very helpful suggestions. Chorlton sounds a great option in particular. Well done on the 22.

Treadmill a very rare occurrence for me, TT! Mental aspect – this may be a little rogue, but I really like the Headspace app and the 10 day course is does on sports motivation. Ten minutes a day and really effective.

Jools – Sunday day off was due to rugby coaching at a tournament all day, but covid events overtook that somewhat. Looks like the glute pain was short lived?

Another big week, OO. And bloody hell that is impressive for a solo TT on muggle shoes!

Great work getting that reps session done on tired legs, TR.

Sub 2:50 pace in training looks good for a bit quicker than that in the race, Macca? You’ll have to hang around in order for me to get you that beer back!

That’s a great result, Steve! I have done a 10M at Draycote Water. It is a lovely venue but, as you say, potentially windy and deceptively undulating. Cracking pace from you.

Perhaps inevitably, tested positive on the Covid home kits from Sunday (although actually had our monthly ONS PCR test on Saturday – two days later this was revealed to have been positive). Felt fine at first, but the afternoons and evenings have nosedived. Managed a very slow 5k with the buggy at lunchtime yesterday, but don’t imagine there will be anything greater than that for a few days yet.

Have the FoD half on Sunday in which I was really looking forward to giving the full beans. Will have to see what happens: anything from DNS, to slow run, MP or full smash out off an enforced taper! Just hope I get right in time for Manchester.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - i havnt been told what start im on yet, so you might be there too.

SQ - oh no, what a pisser. OO ran a strong mara at Newport 3 wks after missing vlm due to CV, but you only have 2 weeks, so im not sure Manchester is a good idea now. Take it easy.

Minimal 5m easy peasy paced commute run home.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    SQ - Thats bad news but could be worse timing. As TR mentioned I suffered for a week with CV and bed bound for 3 days (thankfully your experience seems better), but bounced back quickly to run a 2.51 marathon 3 weeks afterwards maybe 3-4 minutes down.  I wouldn't write off Manchester (see how you feel next week) but knock FOD on the head and focus just on recovery this week. You've built the endurance which your not going to lose, maybe next week if you feel OK a few 3-4m faster runs. Take it easy now is good advice.

Final long run ticked off 20m earlier. 
  • Options
    SQ - sorry to read that. Hoping for a swift recovery but taking it easy seems to be the best advice.

OO good work on the list and cracking 10k, I’d be looking to apply that in a race if it were me.

TR - well done on roughing out the 14x3 mins, one more push then taper time.

Jools - I’ll have to think about Snowdonia, I
    guess even taking it easy would be a quad smasher.  If you’re interested in the place I’ll let you know when I’ve had a think.

14m in the rain today from start to finish, I guess it could rain in Manchester so all good training.  I’ve been off the sauce for a couple of weeks since over indulging at a works leaving do and missing the last train home. Can’t say I feel significantly better for it but it’s helping creeping towards race weight.