Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Westy - next weekend will be fine for racing, im doing everyone a favour and racing the following weekend
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TT, that sounds good. How far are you going tomorrow?
    Westy...glad of it actually. I do better when it's a bit nippy - my menopausal old carcass isn't good at handling heat.
    OO, that's ambitious...good luck with that!
    Fab work Macca, but also commiserations on missing out by seconds. 

Today's parkrun was Panshanger, a rural one lapper in Herts. My friend Rob lives up that way so he met me at the station and we jogged the couple of miles over to the start. The course itself is all off-road, rather cross country-ish with a mix of stony trail, gravelly trail, a bit of grass (thankfully firm after the recent warm weather) and some hard path that looked more like trail. I could see this one would have been very muddy indeed until recently so I was thankful to hit it when it was dry.
    Not a fast course - two gravelly ascents before the half-way point and some lumpy ground underfoot - so reasonably happy to get 28:04 even if I missed a parkrun bingo number by a second again. (Grrr). Still, that's now my 98th venue...closing in on the 100.
    I'll be doing 99 in Manchester next weekend but will stick to my home run the week after as my legs will be knackered.
    I've not yet decided where 100 will be, but hopefully I can persuade a person or two to come with.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles this morning...last double figures run. My right knee was little sod, though. I felt it going downstairs to the loo last night and it was awful when I started my run in spite of my pre-run exercises. Not the first time it's done this so I wasn't overly worried and it did warm up after a while. I might've jammed it a little on Panshanger's downhill stretch, but I suspect it's more likely because I spend too much time sitting in front of the computer. Need to makes sure I get on top of my stretching and walk around more over the next week.
    Not much to do now...couple of short runs.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Cal - Good work on the PR (100 PR is a good aim and nearly there) and the 10m. Take it easy now and watch that knee.
    TR - That's a good on the money LR, with some good pace. Wonderful weather at the mo, bit cooler next weekend and no doubt a localised blizzard for Brighton the week after.
    TT - Good work, nearly there now, just a few faster KMs this week.

My traditional last Sunday before the marathon 8m with 4m easy/ 4 ideally mp-20 seconds done with the faster segment coming out 6.12 mm will take that. Had a late invite to run the relays in Milton Keynes but 2 days away to run 5m somehow didn't tick the box, and anyways Mothers Day lunch booked. 

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I like it on the cooler side too Westy. How’s it going today?
    OO I’ve come across Adam a few times. He makes my racing schedule seem slack 😆 Saw him storming round Newport marathon in 2019. I wonder how fast he could go if he focused on just 1 or 2 marathons a year?
    Cal Good weekend: one step closer yesterday to Cowell & a reassuring 10 miler today.
    Decent parkrun for me yesterday at Ross: course PB of 19:57. It’s a 2 lap
     course all on grass. 1st lap is about 1.1M round the sports pitches. On the 2nd lap you carry on along the riverside path round a large crop field before finishing back round the pitches. It was the driest I’ve known post-CoViD which definitely helped. Backed that up with 11M on last Sunday’s HM course. I ran 5 easy downhill then held the pace on the way back up for a 7:53 average
    Figured it was better to do it yesterday & do an easy 9K today. 
    4,708 miles in a 501 day streak. Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow 😃
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Jooligan said:
    I like it on the cooler side too Westy. How’s it going today?

improving I guess. Gut problems seem to be resolved, bit of a chesty cough and snotty head, but not too bad. Do feel a bit drained though, not sure when I'll be up and running. Also...the missus has gone down with it, just the kid left. Fun times.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on the 99 and 10miler double. Sounds like you do need to keep more active, or sit less.

OO - good tune up, definitely well swerved on the relays trip. Its the coastal gales id like to avoid, but if a gale does kick up then I'll probably keep my powder dry and find something else.

Jools - course pb has to bode well. Rest day as in no running ? If so then well done.

Westy - hope you all feel better soon

Steady turbo for me. Taper time.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is TR. I’ve 6 days to freshen up for Manchester so the plan is:
    Monday: REST
    Tuesday: 40 mins easy + strides
    Wednesday: 50 mins easy
    Thursday: 40 mins easy + strides
    Friday: REST
    Saturday: 30 mins
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done then jools, 501 days is impressive, but good one on ending the streak.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jooligan that's a good plan for the week and well done on the running streak.

TR I am so looking forward to being back at spin class and out on the bike, quite envy you the turbo!

Westy it sounds horrible, not what you want I am sure.

OO not surprised you went with the lunch!

Cal I rarely run on a Sunday unless racing, too much on. PR sounds positive. 

Plan said 3miles but did 5km (plus WU and WD) as it seems so much more motivating. Put in a couple of strides to keep myself moving. List of things to do for Sunday now written! 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - Congratulations on the 501, to be not injured and motivated for that takes some doing.  Glad you are taking it a bit easier now, is that 3 marathons in 4 weeks.  :D  You will get on really well with Adam Holland!
    Westy - Get yourself clear then target another race late April/ May? Shame to put all that training not to good use. 
    TT - Good one on the 5K, just ticking things off now. 

No running day today but will go to the gym later for 30 minutes of something.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    I know I am new to this but is it too soon to be saying the weather forecast looks like good marathon running weather? 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Not really planning anything at moment, just taking every day as it comes. I could probably start jogging again soon...and I could even make the starting line for manchester on sunday, or I could not. If I did make it I would not be targetting any goals...just take it easy and drop out if necessary. Don't want to scew things up even more though, long covid and all that, so I'll see. Feel mostly ok, but a bit chesty, and feel like I get a bit out of breath more easily...although I could be over thinking it. My missus went down with it over the weekend.
    So take extra special care out there those running marathons soon.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    TT said:
    I know I am new to this but is it too soon to be saying the weather forecast looks like good marathon running weather? 

it really does...bit chilly waiting round at the start, and cold for spectators, but great for long distance running. I would be wearing gloves though.
  • Options
    OO - that’s a good target for next year.  Seville (and I think Valencia) are appealing winter marathons, don’t blame you.

Westy - hope it remains mild for you.

Jools - good work on the streak, nice to end it on your terms.

Cal - well done on the PR and 10 miler. Hope the knee behaves.

TR - nice LR, I think the theory goes that the wind takes more than it gives so wind free probably a bit better than the average, regardless good session especially with some in reserve.

TT - never to early to check the weather, I’ve been looking for around the last week or so.

Last double digit of 13m yesterday, suitably heavy legged which I’ll take as a good sign.    Other than a coached club 10k session on Weds that I don’t want to miss, all easy street now with a few strides.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - im trying to keep the turbo going, it means a non impact day.

Well done on the 13 macca, agreed you defo dont get back what you lose on windy days

Easy 8m commute
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR totally understand that, if, and that is a big if, I do another marathon I think I will do less running and more bike and swimming. 

Macca well done on the 13 miles, easy with strides sound good. 

Westy glad I am not too early, I have the gloves, hat and arm warmers! A friend told me to dress for mile 11 onwards. 

OO how was the gym? I am avoiding ours, too many people!!

Out in the damp, mist, dark (perfect Yorkshire running weather in other words). Some slow, some fast, all enjoyable, all according to the plan. My OH has booked for us to see a play on Saturday afternoon, he says it will make sure I sit down! 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    TT - you might want to have something you can wear and then discard at the start, a bin bag or old jumper or something - I think they collect thrown away clothes for charity or something.
    I just went for a 6 mi jog, definitely not firing on all cylinders, still a bit of a chest cough, so chances starting on Sunday are slim. Also, I got attacked by a dog, and my watch died when I got home..it's almost as if someone, somewhere is trying to tell me something.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Macca - Nice work on the 13m. As you say easy street now.  Decided to bring my monthly marathon aim forward starting now in October with Majorca marathon! You should do Valencia at some stage a really fast marathon in a  great city. 
    Westy - Good to get the 6m done. Another view, that's all of the bad luck out of the way now. Just good luck from here on in.
    TT - Opted for a bike ride instead as sunny yesterday but went this morning thankfully no-one there. Great foresight by your OH.

Bought my can of Monster drink this morning so getting equipped.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey Westy, that's not an ideal run is it?
    OO - I keep trying to do Valencia. I've entered three times and had to withdraw (well, the middle one was cancelled due to corona). It seems to be an unlucky race for me.

Ugh, well, I went to the gym yesterday and did a bit of bike an elliptical plus some rehabby type stuff...glute bridges and whatnot and a good stretch. Had the odd twinge from the right knee but also the odd twinge from the left one. Then later, my right groin had a go.
    Still a bit of grumbling today but not as bad as Sunday. Did 6 miles. Rather chilly now. I was planning to rest tomorrow and run Thursday but Thursday is forecast for sleet and wind so I think I'll swap them around.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    what do I do:
    a. bin it, not worth the risk, there will be other marathons.
    b. make the start line but don't worry about any goal or even completing it, just try and get as far as can and enjoy it
    c. pretend I haven't had covid for last 9 days and set off at around sub3 pace and see what happens
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    c obviously 😜
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Though you go into it believing you’ve opted for b
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    yes, I am thinking b at moment! This is obviously all on the proviso that I test negative before race, haven't taken a test since testing positive last thursday, kind of just waiting for all symptoms to go...the thing that worries me is my chesty/wheezy cough...
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds good TT.
    Always best to enjoy the sunshine while it’s out OO.
    Sounds fairly standard Cal. Don’t like the sound of that forecast for Thursday!
    Broke my streak yesterday although I did walk 5 miles.
    On track today with 40 minutes out & back along the canal before work. Easy 2M then 10x0.1M of strides off 0.15M easy & a mile warm down. Amazing how much that little bit of knocked off the average pace (7:38)
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Westy - Gotta be b. Your body can get the distance but your head must control the pace. 

Jooligan - True, 6.5m easy this afternoon with some half hearted strides.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - the 3 sports provide variety and i  was as fit as a fiddle when i did tri, but low mileage or low run frequency mararhons have been a world of quad pain for me.......but its only for an hour or so after all

OO - you have a busy time ahead. Ive been entering summer 5 and 10ks so i force myself to race more towards london mara.

Good ticking over cal

Westy - A......sack it. The jabs can cause temporary heart enlargement, so who knows what the real thing is doing to you if you run a mara. Find a race in May.

5m and 4m today. My cold is back this evening, so might explain the slowest ever commute pace this morning. More folks dropping with CV.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ok...I may well follow TR's advice and not do it, probably a silly idea, too many unknown risks etc. Not sure I will bother with another marathon this spring, I was kind of done with the training and not sure I can be arsed to go through it again. So...might just run for fun for a while, get my fitness back...and just target Manchester half in the autumn and maybe some other shorter races over the summer. Why I'm tempted to turn up this sunday is the start is only about 20mins walk from my house...so it's kind of easy.
  • Options
    Tough one Westy, I get it’s tempting but I think I’m with TR.  A probable sub par performance for what risk ?  I think I’d take the covid deferral and look to get something out of the training block in a few weeks, even a half or 10k.

Tried my arm sleeves out yesterday in the cold and they tick all the boxes apart from looks.  Because of my puny arms they sag a little like Nora Batties leg warmers.