Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    My break was rather more peaceful than normal as I had left my phone behind  - accidently so I was virtually incommunicado whilst away :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back TS! And well done on the parkrun, although I am not sure that mild booing is in the spirit of parkrun! No doubt there will be some ruling from parkrun towers!

I have not given up on the Foxes...unlike the team who appear to have given up! And not a good start for Lancs either unless there is a major turnaround tomorrow. Could have done with Anderson and/or Mahmood who were bowling in the nets but are prevented from playing by the ECB I understand. Surrey look an all round decent team, which as defending champions was always likely. 

4k with a few short quicker bits and felt at least reasonable. Will largely continue to rebuild the base though. 

Wordle in four. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    4k good - cricket not so!

toon results continue🙂

arty photos to follow from my wife’s phone which I had “borrowed”

• Options
    whoops whoops they didn’t post!

• Options
    very. very misty here this morning so I have postponed my exit for a short while!

Realised I had not commented upon John's misfortune and success - truly an apt illustration of Kipling's words :)
  • Options
    well the mist never lifted and dressed as I was for that progression in shorts and tee-shirt it turned into a very chilly run indeed!!

Garmin had said 1hr 40 min at 12:10 pace and I managed the full time doing 8.7 miles at 11:42m/m avHR122 and a max of 139 as I crawled up the final big hill.

More than enough!

Outrage at wordle in five - that is never a word !!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a decent long run, TS! Will be a while before I see an hour, nevermind the rest. 
    Great photos of Blackpool as well. 

Wordle was indeed a disgrace today, just getting it in six. 

Gentle 4+Kms this morning: bright sunshine but a strong breeze into my face the whole way round, seemingly. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    That sounds a good break with no phone :) Lovely photo's where did you go?

Yesterday and today 45 minute runs as fatigued but nice to be out in sunshine my sunglasses got first outing.
    Still need naps but the fatigue post CV19 is tough.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Excellent weekend's running, TS.  I note that I'm currently (23:11) a minute or so behind your parkrun time done at the same age :)    Like the pics!  

"reasonable" is good, alehouse!   

Volunteered at a junior parkrun this morning (at the location of my Wednesday speed session).  2 miles jog before, then 3 miles after, with 1x400m & 2x900m included. A local baker had donated fresh bread rolls to volunteers, so egg sandwich my reward :)  

40 miles for the week (and 501 for the year)

Dave
  • Options
    so much for weather forecasts- the mist and chill has never lifted all day

alehouse
    you had by far the best of the weather over your way - even in Blackpool :)
    good progress for you with another comfy run

WP
     B)  -how dare you :)
    good back to back runs though

Dave
    I had forgotten you were just a youngster :)
    There are some speedy youngsters at the junior parkruns aren't there? 

Good session for you and well  rewarded with eggy sandwiches :)

We were near Whitby at the Guisborough Hall hotel - the ruins are the remains of the abbey there and the sea view is overlooking the beach and cliffs at Sandsend.
    Lovely bright weather but chill all the time - nothing that fleeces and Barbours couldn't keep out!
  • Options
    must say after catching up on football that refereeing and VAR are getting worse - Brighton were robbed against Spurs not once but twice and there were other dodgy decisions all round.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Any progress, NZD?

49 minutes 50 seconds off road with my now M78 neighbour. Progress I suppose, not that it felt like it at the time. Longest for over six weeks, and probably indicates that I'm not fully over Covid. Take note WP! The extra half a stone won't help either! Anyway, positive thoughts!

Good to have some to run with and we talked the whole way through...and it stayed dry although rather windy.

Weather was good here Friday and Saturday; much less so on Thursday and Sunday and was well wrapped up at cricket. 

Edit: Wordle in five; raining. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    50 mins offroad is a good outing, alehouse

10 miles hilly point to point this morning. Weather better than forecast - even removed my gloves halfway!  Legs more tired than of late on the Monday run.  Nice to have it bagged.  

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Mick: Good to hear you are making good progress.  Hope the remaining two chemo sessions go equally 'smoothly'.  
    Ale: May be not fully over it but 50 mins off road is a great improvement.  Have to feel positive about that. 
    WP: Ditto for your back-back 45 min efforts.
    TS: Well done on the parkrun.  A very good time for a first effort in several years. An avHR of 137 suggests there is still plenty in the tank to work with over the next few months.  BTW, nice pics.  Clearly no decline in your photography skills.
    Dave: Well done on your consistent consistency with yet another 40 mile week.

Ribs still giving a bit of grief but a definite improvement on a week ago.  Spent a few hours in the garden today OK and will attempt another cautious run, hopefully tomorrow morning.  At least it has given my hamstring more time to recover.  Going to take a good few weeks to get back to full speed though.  Yup, need to learn to bounce better!  Or better still, avoid tripping in the first place (starting by taking heed of my watches recovery time advice).

• Options
    NZD: Never mind your watch listen to your body it is never far wrong :)

I am pleased to say longest run post CV19 68 minutes in torrential rain and I loved it.Strange I never saw another runner.

I don't like these waist straps for dogs on my walk, two runners with 2 dogs each and they were all over the place no control at all.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    10 hilly miles is a decent amount, Birch

And gardening sounds like progress, NZD! Probably harder than gardening!

Yes, happy with 50 minutes...until I look back at a couple of days before I had Covid: then I ran over 14k at 25 seconds a km faster on a similar course with a slightly lower HR! Much work to get back to where I was whilst knowing that I mustn't rush it!

• Options
    alehouse
    sounded a pleasant outing and chatting helps keep the pace down :)

I too came back from my time away with some weight "problems" caused by  the excellent food on offer!

Dave
    that's a good Bank Holiday haul to start the week :)!

Ditto here - weather better than forecast, and a lot better than yesterday, and legs also tired and stiff after the last two days exertions.

Fortunately Garmin recognised this and gave me 42 min at 12:05 pace which I just about complied with covering 3.6 miles with an avHR 120 and a max of 130.

It was enough!!

Wordle in six..

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Continuing good efforts must be doing wonders for confidence, TS.  Garmin appears to be on the ball.  This Apple Watch fanboy seems equally impressed with Garmin's training recommendations:    www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/i-replaced-my-apple-watch-with-garmin-smartwatch-why/.

WP: well done on your 68 min run in torrential rain.  Enjoyed it? ... !!  Must be Welsh :)

Ale: Agree re not rushing it but hopefully recovery will be quicker now you are managing 50 mins without having to walk intervals.

Managed an out & back 5k over flatter part of the estuary track this morning without needing to stop (& without tripping!).  Ribs biting a bit but more comfortable than run 6 days ago.  R hamstring not totally happy either -will need more nursing.  Probably ran faster than I should have but legs didn't seem to want to go slower! (5.27 km @ 6:01, HR 130)

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Unsettled weather the last couple of days (Ok am, thunder & rain pm).  Torrential rain & thunderstorm outside now (3 pm).  Warm & sunny with 95% clear blue sky when I ran earlier this morning.  Similar AM/PM split seems set to continue for a couple more days.  OK by me provided they have the forecast right. 
  • Options
    NZD
    not sure whether it's confidence building or despondency at how far there is to go - I looked back at what I was doing to run  22 min for 5K and was shocked - the week before a long run of 14 miles at 9m/m easy pace and 4 x 1mile intervals at 7m/m pace - don't think that is coming around again :/

Good to see you out and about again howbeit with a bit of nursing various bits :)
    Your weather does seem to be going through some extremes - it made the news here again recently!

Re Garmin - good summary of its features over Apple - and  there is a review of the new kid on the block!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/apr/11/garmin-forerunner-265-review-runners-best-friend-gets-screen-upgrade

expensive  :/  as I do like the new screen brightness - ideal for fading eyesight!
  • Options
    ... wordle in five
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I try not to look back, TS! Don't ask me how I ever managed to run as quickly as I did...and I wasn't particularly fast!

And today's 36 minutes certainly wasn't. Stretches later!

Wordle in five, also.
  • Options
    alehouse
    the past is another world - but there is still experience & knowledge to be gained from it.

Well last night's Hash was an experience - driving rain, some hail, fierce winds all combined to make it one to forget!!
    There was not much hanging around by anyone and a brisk 3.5 miles done.

Garmin is still concerned about me  :) - gave me a recovery run of 29 min this morning at 13 m/m pace which I couldn't quite get down to but close enough.

Cold and windy - brrrrr.  Inadequate clothing...

Wordle in 6 
  • Options
    Sounds similar to our weather but well done on hash.

PT yesterday and we upped the weights so that means my upper body will be a bit sore this week :) Then picnic and some grocery shopping.

Today out early as lull in storm for 44 minute run not too bad at all.

Weather warning in place since yesterday 55 mph winds.M4 closed well sections and the severn bridge.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Very blustery here, but thankfully dry for the speed session.  Seven in the group, including two first timers; 2 x (400m, 600m, 400m, 800m) with miles either side yielding 7 for the morning.  4.5 miles plodded yesterday.  

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Decent session considering the weather, Birch! 

And well toughed out at the Hash, TS.

Picnic, WP?

Just over 20 minutes here. Enough today! 

The past: by chance I bumped into a guy that I managed to get back to running after a 25 year lay off; originally used to team manage him when he was a sub four minute miler. He, also, can't break four minutes for a km as yet. Perhaps that should be my aim for the year! Not that I am even thinking of doing anything quick as yet.

Wordle in four: once I had the middle three letters there wasn't much choice!

Consultant re back tomorrow pm.

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Sounds like weather a bit inclement for all! 

Good 44 mins WP, and ditto your 4.5 m + 7 m Dave.  A bit of churn in your speed session group but I guess always good to see new people turn up.

TS: Becoming intrigued by what Garmin would recommend for me.  Except I suspect I would be less diligent at fitting in the recommendations each day.  How are injuries, holiday breaks & work commitments factored in?  Or is that just a matter of ignoring the recommendations for the duration.

Ale: Four m/km pace target!  I'd be ecstatic to knock 1m 40s to knock off PB & get around a parkrun in 22:20 (current NZ M75+ parkrun record being 22:25 :smile: )!  Perhaps with a dead flat course and injury free build up ... (oh well, dreams are free)!  

Full 8k estuary circuit this morning (8.15 km @ 6:04, HR 135 :( ).  Slow start with a few aches and groans (L knee, R groin, R calf, ribs ..!).  All but the ribs eased off after a km or so.  Pace (& HR!) ramped up through the 8 km (last km @ 5:39).  Rest day for ribs(!) yesterday.  A bit more bite yesterday morning, having come off Nurofen & Panadol the day before.  
  • Options
    alehouse
    sub 4 min miling is still a fairly excusive club!

I used to run sub 60sec 400m intervals but that was as close as I got :) - and that was when I still had lots of fast twitch muscles.

Hope your appointment goes well - or at lest gets to the cause of the discomfort.

NZD
    that's a steady return to the estuary run - and at least the niggles were nicely spread out over your body :)
    Your body will slowly realise you mean business again

Garmin is very good at picking up variables. When I was away last week it let me know that my aerobic training was slipping with a message - "severe lack of aerobic conditioning".
    It also monitors other factors such as sleep patterns & quality, stress levels, non -running exercise etc and adjusts accordingly along with recommended rest durations after running.

This morning Garmin had decided I had rested enough and came up with 10 min warm up, 28min at 10:04m/m, 10 min cool down.

It was cold and a blustery wind out there which made pace judgement, along with hills, difficult but I managed 2.86 miles in the 28 min (9:48m/m) with avHR133 and a max of 149.

I was "aided" in my  pace judgment, when looking at Garmin at one stage, it said 10:40 and then 10:32. Thinking I was falling off the pace I increased effort and it wasn't until I looked some time later that I realised I had been seeing the count down time to the end of the tempo session not the normal pace alert - doh!!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS:  A 'Snap' on pace (9:48 m/m vs 9:46 m/m) and very close HR-wise (133 vs 135).  Have to be reasonably happy with that effort?
  • Options
    NZD
    I was quite pleased given the very strong wind in places and the variations in elevation, up and down - made it feel like hard work, which it was, and accounted for the maxHR recorded!!

I've got no aches and pains though to hold me back :) - well none other than the usual background noise.

Wordle in three today