Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. hope the post marathon downtime has eased your weary legs!
    Enjoy the steady return to running.

TR.. nice 10m commute, good to see the half hasn't bashed you up too much.

TT.. great progress for an under 18, hope he stays keen!  Enjoy the track session later.  Our local school track is now in a shocking state and unusable.  They had the cheek to charge our club for hiring it without telling us.. Discussions are taking place!

Nice sunny day here so had a run over to the Racecourse, another 7.3m done.  No discomfort though my legs did feel a bit tired towards the end, clearly the endurance will need building up again.
    Massage tonight which might improve things.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good that the shin is ok again already

Wardi - regular massage would be a good idea

I have entered Goodwood early July where ive done the 1.22 the last 2 summers, hopefuly ill be in similar shape this year.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I had a day's leave today to maximise the bank holiday, so got my long run done today. Possibly a bit soon after Sunday's 1/2, but got going a bit in the 2nd half. 10m easy, 10m steady. Bit of a shock as its been a few weeks without a 20m.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I had a look at the Goodwood events site and there seem to be a multitude of events/distances on the same day.  Is it the half you've entered?  Nice effort on the 20m, decent powers of recovery since the half!

Our local physio had a half price promo on massage @ £17.50 for 50 mins so well worth it.  No problems detected in my dodgy hamstring which was good news.  I've had a lump of muscle on the outside of my left calf for about 20yrs. Every masseur over the years finds it and pummels it (quite painful!).  Never bothers me when running though.

Continuing to build up the miles, 6.3m yesterday and 5.2m today. Wet for 3m then the sun came out this morning.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    TT - Thats' a good looking schedule,  Seville leaps out.  Good on TT Jr.
    Wardi - Ha ha, not much flat around Exeter. Good to get to double figures injury free, you must be very relieved.   
    TR - Nicely done on the 20 miler, sounds odd but you do realise its a long way. The Goodwood entry will keep you focused over the next few months - is that a circuit run?.  
    LS21 - Yes, really enjoyed the atmosphere of the few parkruns I've been to. Recover well from London, whats next for you?

Taken 2 days off due to a tight sore piriformis in my left butt which has been making itself known.  Been stretching and that's really helped and also done a few mountain bike rides to keep active / non-bored / injured - depends on your viewpoint! I believe I am still good to go for the Exeter marathon on the 14th,  and maybe another rest day tomorrow and will try 4m fast on Sunday as my week out run. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    That's a good deal re the massage Wardi, would cost me a  bit of petrol money to get there though.......there's always multiple distances at Goodwood, they've added 50k and  duathlon (later in the day) at some of the days. I always take up the marathon option if its there, as you can swap down to the 1/2 on race morning when you collect your number with no need to pay the difference (which would apply if you go from 1/2 to full) if you wish to do the 1/2 instead.

OO - I've got a spot like that right inside my left bum cake, but it doesn't bother me as much to run as the hammies. The spiky ball and stretches seem to help it a bit.......yes, usual laps of the cct. I looked at  kempton park, but therestoo many corners. At GW you run the wrong way from the finish line, do a u turn round a cone (which makes up the extra distance) and then run back thtough the finish and do your allotted laps, if you take a racing line then there's no more corners.....slick surface, only slight undulations but at the mercy of the wind.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    6m in absolute pissing rain today, splashing through standing water. Glad I did the 20m yday, as i wouldn't have done it today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Unlucky TR, though I did notice rain at the King's big bash too. 
    Dry up here so far and quite warm too.  Got out for a pleasant 6m,  good to have a sniff of spring at last.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    TR - I enjoyed the cct race I ran,  as pretty chilled and less unpredictable than a road race, might do it (Dorney Lake) again.  My hammies feel ok.  Chapeau on running 6 after a 20 the day before.  I normally cannot move the day after.  Unlucky on the downpour. 
    Wardi - Nice 6m, yes Spring arrived here, loads of wild garlic and bluebells out on my run routes. How many PR are you on now?

The stretches and relative rest have done the trick and my pirifromis is not as sore as a few days ago. Did a 4m progressive test run yesterday (7.15 to 6.15) and a 4m blast today (av. 6.07) so was able to run at pace without too much discomfort on my run form, so am good to go for Exeter.  Will though take an easier week than usual.  Sun is out here, so first Cornish beach day of the year here shortly, optimistically taking my wetsuit and a few Tribute beers. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - I quite like the cat races too, GW is 11 laps, there's a water station at the end of every lap, so 7 laps alternating water or gel and then its time to push on to the finish.......I have an Abo entry, but have considered channelling my inner Macca and doing Dorney too......Good news on the test run, good news on the beach trip too, it's been cloudy here, but the sun is out now.

Thought id do something different today, and as i have a 10k next sunday, I thought I'd put a bit of effort in, so 10m inc 20 x (90sec/30sec).
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. good news on the nerve niggle, hope it continues to improve so that Exeter is a 'comfy' outing.  Ditto the weather here, cloudy this morning but mostly sunny @ 18-19 degrees now.  Wet forecast for tomorrow however.

I'm on 239 Parkruns currently, I guess it will be mid-late summer when I hit the 250.  I'll do the next 2 weekends to move it along a bit.

Good session in that 10 miler TR, nice to see some race plans coming together too.

A steady & warm 10m today, 48m for the week from 43m & 44m previously.
    Just the odd spasm from the old niggle now but it does seem to be fading away slowly but surely.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good progress wardi

Meant to say, I've just added a massage gun to my niggle management regime.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good investment in vintage years TR.   I do have a 'Tens' device which is a poor man's ultrasound gadget.  Seems to work well for aches and niggles,  not much bigger than an electric shaver.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Even its its only a small benefit then its worth adding to the exercises, stretches.

5m easy today.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Just wrapping up at work here (busy weekend as you'd imagine). Absolutely banging it down today so quietened right off this aft.

TR - good stuff re Goodwood, and nicely done on the 20 plus a bit of faster stuff today. Hopefully you go well next week.

OO - glad to hear the piriformis has settled a bit. I often have niggles there too. I suppose we all do as runners! Taper well for this weekend.

TT - hopefully the shin is still ok.

wardi - a decent return to some good mileage there. Fingers crossed your leg issue is ok now.

I've been taking things pretty easily since London, but towards the back of last week I felt good to go again really (mentally as much as physically). So I did a bit of a session on Sat morn - took advantage of pleasant conditions tbh. Cool, overcast but not a breath of wind. So I had a pop at my 3 x 2 mile session (on the loop around the village). The good news is - I did this session in the first week of April and I was a bit quicker on Sat (between 10-15 secs per rep). Bad news is I did this session in the first week of Jan (before my hammy injury) and I was a lot quicker then - about 25 secs a rep. Still, progress. And the effort was there which is the most important thing really. I then followed that up 12 yday, and a very ploddy 5 this morn. All good.

Re what's next (thanks for asking OO). There are a couple of 5k series up here that I might have a go at. I seem to have lost some top end speed. I really struggle to do anything quicker than 6'00 now (even mile reps), so doing something a bit different might help with that. Plus I can't really do parkruns as I've said. And my approach to a 5k is the same line I use to Mrs LS21 if I'm feeling amorous - it's not very pleasant but at least it's over quick. Think I might have a pop at the Chester Half on 21st May too - a few doing that I think. Dunno - will just see.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    LS21 You old romantic  :D 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. good to see you're back running at pace post London.  BTW if you glance at the Keswick Parkrun results from Saturday there's 9 lads from my club in amongst.  They were up for a stag do so those are hangover affected times. I reckon they can all run 30-60 seconds quicker than that!  Suffice to say the stag didn't make the start line, poor show really.🙂

TR.. just over 5m here too, though a soggy affair in the rain.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wardi We had a dozen stag party guys at ours on Saturday. The stag came 1st in 18:56. Most of them didn't have barcodes including the guy in joggers & crocs who managed c.23 minutes on a muddy course with a multitude of tight turns!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    LS21 - I actually spat my coffee out! Mrs LS21 is a lucky woman ;) Nice progress on the 3 x 2m. And yes, thank you, my shin is ok.

Wardi - funnily enough I've heard a spat of similar stories with track charging lately. There was a story going around as to why it's becoming a thing; I'll see if I can find it. Good news to see you building up miles again!

OO - good news that your piriformis has settled. Good luck for Sunday! I'll be passing Exeter at some stage very early Friday morning (on our way to Gorran Haven for a few days).

TR - Jr put me onto massage guns. I'm a big fan. When I remember to use them. Also have an ultrasound that we bought primarily to help our previous dog post-2nd-knee-surgery that I've used on occasion too and that seems to help nicely. You sound like you're finding your groove again!

Jooligan - that's a pretty nifty time for joggers and crocs. How're you feeling now? Any improvement?

I took it very chilled last week. 4 days of running for just over 30m. Everything at easy effort or less. Shin is fine. Any heaviness or pains in my legs has completely gone, so I just need to go get my tooth filed down and that's all the fallout of London behind me.
    Will only run 3 days this week (opted to garden instead of run yesterday, and am not taking my gear away on our upcoming break), but will look to build back into a routine from Tuesday next week.

Upgraded from my Garmin 735xt to the 245. An unexpected benefit/feature is that it measures stress, and as fibro shows up as stress symptoms (fight or flight system is overactive) it might act as an early warning system for it.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    LS21 - Ha ha, its a marathon not a sprint.  I like your plan to increase your top end speed, your faster sessions before your hamstring injury, shows the speed is there, just time and effort to access it.  Chester HM is not far away!
    TT - Enjoy your break in Cornwall - some coastal runs planned? Interesting new garmin feature. Had my 1st seaswim (no wetsuit!) on Saturday, refreshing!  The weather looks like its picking up for you. S
    Wardi - 239 is impressive.  The 250 tee shirt beckons?
    TR - I've been using mine, moreso in the past 2 weeks than in past 2 years. 

Race week, so not a great deal to do except watch the Giro d Italia and try and burn off a few calories, so cycle, a walk and an easy 4m run yesterday and the same for later today.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Mrs. LS thanks her lucky stars every day! Probably.

And no Marathons in our house. To help, I usually try and recall England’s starting line up for the semi-final of Italia 90 - but I never seem to get past Peter Shilton. Perhaps I’ve just got a thing for Peter Shilton...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LS - try Margaret Thatcher instead of Shilts........Good 2m session, esp only 2 wks after london. You must be recovering well.

TT - i finally got a gadget in lockdown.....I have a 245 too, the performance predictor is always miles off (due to my slow and hilly commutes?), and it's forever telling me take a rest day or 4m easy.......but I like that it's Bluetooth.

OO - hope the course dries out a bit, we have lots of standing water again in the lanes.

10m commute home, legs still tired from Sundays reps.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. romance isn't dead here.  Mrs Wardi wanted to go somewhere expensive for our wedding anniversary so I took her to the petrol station.
    Nice work with the 3 x 2m session.

I'm still on an oldish Garmin FR230 but it seems to do all I need for now.  Don't think the battery is as good as it was so I'll keep an eye on it.

OO.. yes 250 gets me a Parkrun t-shirt.  Not that I desperately need another t-shirt but I'll take it as the next one is 500!  Enjoy the taper.

TT.. apparently the school have all but lost interest in the track and have let it deteriorate/mothballed it.  There are a few letters flying around now!
    Best of luck with your tooth repair.

After 6.2m yesterday I got into double digits today with 11.6m.  The pace is better now I can fire off my affected leg properly.  Got it done in the dry too.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Still on the Garmin 310 here. Every time I turn it on it reminds me that I got it in 2009. 

And wardi - you’ve reminded me of
    another one. Taking Mrs. LS21 out tomorrow night. Table booked for 8:00pm. I hope it goes better than last time - she only potted 3 reds.

I’ll go away now 👍 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    More progress Wardi

10m inc 12x3min this morning, and 5m home again tonight. Reps pace was a bit slow, but i knew that was going to happen as my legs were tired before the off. But they've run a 1/2 mara, 20 miler and 2 sessions in the last 10 days or so.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    My Garmin 25 went to my daughter last Saturday as her 1st GPS watch, by the afternoon she was on Strava, next day ran a 10K and asked me afterwards what her time would be for a marathon!   Thats the spirit. 
    Wardi - Ouch! Great your on the up. 
    TR - Good days work. Not surprised your legs are a bit beat.
    LS21 - Double ouch!

5 @ 7 mm yesterday. Just an easy 4m with a few 1 km bursts today and then that is it until the big bang.  Looks like being a sunny warm day for the race, which is fine.  Plan is 10k's in 39-40 minutes, halfway in 1.25 and 1.28 for the 2nd half.  
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

TR - another solid week there, with some key sessions. 12 x 3 is a tough one!

wardi - nicely done on the double digits. You're getting back to it nicely.

OO - good stuff, sounds like you're ready to go. Re watching the Giro - an interesting finish yesterday!

Not much to report here. Feeling a bit cnba tbh. No real sweat. I'm not too fussed really. Hoping to get out later (hopefully) for a bit of a session but we'll see. At least it's quite sunny (for once!) Probably be raining by the time I've finished work....
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Actually, TR - you're the man for this. Do you have the BAC Marathon sessions anywhere? Either that you can screen shot, email or put on here? I'm thinking of actually trying to follow a proper plan if I do an Autumn Mara, rather than sort of making it up as I go which is what I usually do. I was going to write a plan myself, largely based around the BAC sessions as key days each week. No worries if not. Cheers
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Just over 5m this morning.  Thought I'd got away with a few showers but with a mile to go the heavens opened in a burst dam style.  I was wetter than a haddock bathing costume by the time I got home.  Oh well it was too warm for a rain jacket anyway.

OO.. I do admire your daughter's enthusiasm.  :)

TR.. good session on tired legs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Sounds good OO

Wardi - different here, I thought how nice it was to not get rained on or splash through standing water today.

LS - I havnt got any recent BAC stuff, there is a new training group called Twemlow Anchors by invite (?), so i guess itd be their sessions now. You know who knows em, so he might be able to get what they do now. Steve Way trained one of em to a 2.39 as m50 at Manc recently.......but I do have BAC stuff from 5 ish years back, fwiw i think there's so.much volume in the weekly session and it's so hard that I would advise that session as yr mlr, and then add a long run and that's it, the rest is all recovery.......I'd say do P and D if you want an actual plan, with the 10% med and long run sections plus the mp runs.