Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Got it regarding the spikes Cal.  Wouldn't be very pleasant.  

Agree on the marathon recovery DH. 

Bit over 4 miles yesterday to collect my car from having its tyres (or rather wheels) changed from winter to summer.  A long downhill which my legs weren't so keen on, especially as I was wearing trail shoes on long stretches of tarmac.  These were necessary on a short bit of mucky, wet steep and pebbly trail.  I suppose I could have taken road shoes and walked that bit instead.  After several downpours during the afternoon I was lucky not to get rained on.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    DH, I find the period after a marathon unbearable, to be honest, but I have got into trouble doing races too soon after. 
    A six mile plod this morning - fortunately the groin wasn't testy despite the fact it hurt a lot after Wednesday's mud fest and I needed four painkillers before bed.

Hope John is doing OK.
  • Options
    Hi all, read the various posts since my withdrawal: DH, well done on that selection (a chance to force your way into the A team!); Cal, that sounds like the run from hell; Hazel, still feeling flat after the disappointment of your race?

Dogged by some health issues but after 3.5 weeks without a decent run, the groin is defo on the mend.Tested it at a very windy Parkrun and came away with 21.12 @81% AG.

Very pleased with this despite losing my unbeaten age cat status for 2023.It had to happen sometime.

Cheers to all.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    How's your eye, John?

California Country parkrun today - a mix of hard path and windy dirt trail (fortunately not too muddy) with one hill which wasn't bad. Exactly one minute faster than my run at Maidenhead last week. Groin wasn't bad but then I went for an afternoon walk and it was a complete sod. Ugh.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My plans for a long run today were derailed by the Eurovision train. I got sucked into watching it so I went to bed at midnight, which is a good two hours later than usual, but still woke up at the same time, feeling alert but absolutely knackered (unsurprisingly because I'd only had 5 hours sleep). Eventually I went out and did 6 miles a bit after 11am. Sun was warm but there was a cool breeze so I didn't feel hot. Groin not quite right but better than yesterday at least...it did warm up after a bit.
    I'll do a longer run Tuesday instead.
  • Options
    Cal,  I wonder if the California tag raises expectations somewhat? As you told me before, groins are buggers. I've been stretching and strengthening but still don't trust mine. I guess you've not got any magic solutions or else you wouldn't still be struggling. Perhaps it's a matter of managing it (somehow?).
    We hopped off the Eurovision train before it reached the terminal. Good to see Liverpool emerge with such credit.
    6k this morning. One of those runs when you wondered why you bothered! Groin OK.

The eye is a Posterior Vitreous Detachment and I now discover that a few of my friends have had it. It should clear up of its own accord within 6 months. Sooner, I very much hope as it's like walking around with a floating spider web in front of you. (I did consider an alternative word to floating also starting with f!)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds very annoying but at least better than a retinal haemorrhage. I have floaters and one is slap bang in the middle of my right eye and it's a nuisance.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Going by your parkrun your groin is doing well JB.  Fingers crossed for a fast improvement for you eye.  I can ignore the odd floaters but if I get a twitch.. grrrrr.  I can imagine if you do get a long-term floater that it can be very annoying though.

The Eurovision train arrived and departed without me getting on and off.  Other than reading the headlines I ignored the whole thing I'm afraid.

I would get in some heat acclimatization training runs prior to your ultra Cal - plenty of time yet though.

My 50k went ok - I got round and walked less than last year, but was quite a bit slower - never mind.  Partly due to a slower start - not a bad thing at all.  

Report copied across from the daily thread:

I DNFed at Zurich marathon 3 weeks ago and was pretty disappointed having invested some 4 and a half months of training. That went ok and two 10k races seemed to confirm I was doing the right thing. However I felt a bit achy and flat the week pre-race and I didn't feel good from the outset. The result was an initial HM which was at around goal pace but left me very drained already and after that I slowed and slowed to 20 miles, walked in to around 23.5 and stepped off of the course.

I decided that I had "only" done a progressively slower long run and wouldn't need the long recovery of a fully raced marathon so I signed up for the same 50k I did last year. Bit of a risk – I hadn't managed a marathon and hadn't otherwise run a long run for nearly 6 weeks.

I took it easy in the weeks between the two races rebuilding to an HM distance MLR the week before. I wasn't planning on racing the 50k – more important was to get to the finish. With as little walking as possible. Outside goal was a in a time faster than last year when I walked quite a bit during the last 20km.

The 50k is a big contrast to a city marathon – small number of participants, mix of lakeside roads and paths, mixed traffic, no marshalling (follow the arrows on the ground and you can't go wrong) but with fairly regular aid stations. Short trip by moped and train and 5 minutes walk from the station – ideal. Did have a bit of stress as the roads on the first leg to the train station were already being closed for a bike race due to be held much later in the day – advantage of a moped is that you can sneak through and no-one was looking at that moment I needed to cross.

Got to race HQ in plenty of time for sorting my stuff out, packing my rucksack and doing a token warm-up to check that was sitting ok, shake my breakfast down a bit more and check out conditions. Those were ok – bit humid and around 11 degrees but last year was much warmer. Vest and lightweight shorts were sufficient. I decided to take my rucksack with water and some gels so that I could take on water in small amounts rather than rely on the aid stations as I drank too much at once last year and suffered for it. I also sent on a couple of gels to the 30k point to save a bit of weight (I use the hydro ones).

We set off promptly at 9am – goal pace was initially 5:25/km and no faster – I was very pleased that I managed to do exactly that and not set off too fast for once, a bit slower up the two minor hills and a bit faster back down but effort felt pretty easy and the km ticked past nicely – helped along with chatting to some other participants. It is also fun cheering on the HM participants who run the first 10.5k and then turn back.

Km 19 is the start of a 10k detour out onto St Peter's Island, connected by a causeway. Bit of a drag, especially the first and last straight 2-3k between wide reed beds, though the loop around the actual island is quite nice. I was running with one bloke at this point exchanging occasional chat but on the way back to the main shore he started to pull away – I was slowing rather than him speeding up. The sun also came out (grrr) and I started to remember last year in the heat.

Back to the aid station to pick up my gels and a couple of mouthfuls of sports drink and a few crisps. A HM left to do. I was running on my own at this point and being overtaken every now and then. The next 5km were a bit of a struggle, I could see my average pace dropping rapidly and really wanted to walk. I bullied myself into keeping jogging at least but finally gave in for half a km. After that I jogged and shuffled the remaining approximately 10 miles, with very brief walking spells for opening up gels or through the aid stations. The sun had fortunately gone back in, there were a few spits of rain and a light breeze to keep things bearable. The jog-shuffle was slow – I didn't previously think that I could that slowly but once I got into it I was fine. My legs were pretty shot but I'd got my energy levels sorted again at least. The anti-cycling gates and little bumps of 2-5 metres every now and then were tough as I needed to just keep going at a constant effort. My feet were threatening to cramp and I had to be careful to run with a precise footfall.

Over the line in 5:11. Each participant is announced and clapped in which is nice. Kept walking for a couple of minutes – stopping dead is not a good idea – and then hung around to watch more finishers and the prize ceremony while rehydrating and chewing my way through about half a tube of Pringles (oops – must have needed the salt).

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, that's a good time. I expect to take well over 6 hours to finish my 55 next month. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Got my delayed 16 miler done this morning. I didn't feel all that great when I woke up so I almost binned this off (again, as it's the delayed run from Sunday) but decided to see how it went and was glad I did. Felt OK while running and did a few tempo-ish spins around the Pollard's Hill loop in the middle of the run (it's an undulating residential loop of just over half a mile), but the Strava crown still eludes me (by 1 second!) so I'll have to have another go when I'm not also trying to do a long run.
    Groin wasn't bad; hammy tendon had a little grumble later on in the run but then quietened down and I also felt right achilles slightly - felt it on Sunday too. I think it's due to wearing my 4mm drop trail shoes for the Wimbledon race and then parkrun on Saturday, but I'll have to keep an eye on it as that's one beast I don't want to wake up again.
  • Options
    That is superb Hazel ! Going off slowly in a race is key in my view and after a full 50k it's no wonder you needed half a tube of pringles. I'd have eat the lot...Great idea to not stop moving, I learnt that lesson too

Researched how much salt you should take during long runs and it's mad how much you should take. With so much focus on gels etc I think that is forgotten. 

Did they have aid stations where they move you bag from station to station ? That was a great way to shake out the bad marathon ! 

Had my Bristol 10k and hit a wall with the rolling hill section in town at 7.5k, so ended up 45.25, minute longer than planned. I always thought short distance PBs come 4-6 weeks after Marathon but apparently that is utter nonsense :D it's 4-6 before, I got it upside down and inside out ! So in reality what I've been running isn't that bad...

Anyway local 5k time trail organised for tomorrow so lets see what can be done
  • Options
    Hazel 50k is awesome! No ifs, no buts.

DH, good luck for your time trial.

Cal, nice 16 miler. Has the build up to your own 50k begun in earnest?

A relatively pathetic 5k consisting of hill repeats. First time I've been hot this year. Groin OK.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 16 Cal.  I scanned through the London Ultra site, looks interesting.  How are you planning to hydrate / eat?

There was the opportunity to drop off some supplies for a couple of aid stations on the course DH.  You just label the things with your start number.  Well done on the 10k - maybe you are missing your top speed still after the long mara training miles.  Hope the 5k goes well today.

Less of the pathetic JB - I likely couldn't do that session at the moment!  Hot weather can stay away for now if you ask me.  How is your eye doing?

4 and a bit miles recovery after 2 and a half days off yesterday.  No getting too hot - I was back to a light jacket and capri tights as it was quite cool and windy.  Everything still works but I need a few more days of gentle recovery yet.  Left hamstring is a bit tight (from slipping off of a kerb I think) but is improving.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mostly water and gels but will need to think about a salty snack of some kind. I do have SiS salted caramel gels which are isotonic but not sure gels alone will cut it for a race of 6 hours (or more!) My problem is reflux so I don't do well with solid food during runs and will need to experiment a bit.
    John - yes, although it's 55K - around 9 miles further than I've gone before. Which isn't nothing.

Also in recovery mode - 4 miles today, very slow (just below 13 min/mi). I normally take the day off after a long run but it's such nice weather today I felt I would be better off getting out.
  • Options
    Hazel, thanks for asking. The eye is pretty much the same, but the sheet they gave me at the hospital said it could be 6 months.
    Mind that hammie, or should I say mind those kerbs.

Cal, 55k needs respect- as does anyone who tackles it!

Set out to run 6k at 4 30 pace today and delivered to the second. I don't know why but this gave me disproportionate satisfaction. Think I must be on the spectrum.

Mrs JB thinks that just about every bloke is on the spectrum.

Groin a bit tender. Very wary of sprints!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am almost certainly on the spectrum - I think a lot more of us are than we realise.
    My groin seems to flare up whenever I do anything that requires me to lift my legs a bit higher, including sprints, picking my feet up more because it's muddy and climbing over stuff. 

7 miles today. Pretty slow, but I also did squats and deadlifts yesterday afternoon so legs are a little tender.
  • Options
    buy degree |fake degree| buy diploma|online degree|university transcript|fake diploma| provide MBA diploma, PHD diploma.with
    Full color Ink Emblem, Embossed gold emblem, flat gold foil emblem,Raised putty ink actual state emblem, hologram.
    buy fake degree from AUS university,buy bachelor degree,where to buy fake degree,Buy fake degree online from UK
    buy fake diploma & degree & certificate, plz contact us
    how to buy fake diploma online, where to buy fake diploma, purchase fake diploma,
    obtain fake degree, order fake diploma online.
    Source: https://www.diplomasmarket.com/
    Email: makediploma@outlook.com
    WhatsApp: +86 17823792342
    WeChat: +86 17823792342
    :D :D
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Finding a good snack must be harder for you Cal due to the gluten issues.  

Nicely timed 6k JB.  

Bank holiday for me yesterday, did a decent walk in the afternoon and preceeded that with a 10k run before breakfast.  Felt quite lively initially but tired legs set in after about 3/4 of the way.  Maybe also due to the rolling nature of the route - I need to do more hills again - great for strength.  Bit on the fresh side - only 5 degrees on setting out and I was back to long tights and a lightweight jacket.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong - I have enough intestinal discomfort as it is.
    I definitely need more hills!

I did do a slightly hilly parkrun today - Finsbury Park. Second time here - Finsbury was one of the first parkruns I went to as a tourist back in 2018 when I was just starting my attempt on LonDone. Today I went with Tunde as he hadn't done it before (and he's been nice enough to drive me to more distant runs outside London so least I could do was to accompany him today).
    Been dealing with swimmy head (vertigo?) all week but it was actually alright while running. Reasonably happy with how I ran today (28:27 - just over 9 minute pace on average), under the circumstances. 2nd in AG (the first was 22 minutes with an 80% WAVA so I wasn't going to beat that even if I'd been on top form).
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Cal, I know what you mean about high knee lift sparking groin discomfort. Hip flexor problem?
    Mine has calmed down for now at least.
    Nice 'Silver' in today's parkrun. Sorry to hear of the ongoing vertigo. Again mine's been behaving itself.

Hazel, that marathon clearly really took it out of  you - physically and maybe psychologically too?

My hills tend to be shortish but I think they help with confidence and are easier on the muscles than flat fast stuff.

A 30k training week which is just about optimal for me.

Usual  flat parkrun but with  crosswind. Felt good and got a 20.51, age cat win and 7th best AG in a big field of nearly 500. Lots of quick tourists today.

Went to my son's gym and came away thinking that, yes, I've still got some upper body strength. Then has a wrestle with my  7 year old granddaughter and realised that, no, I haven't!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Guess you better get back in the gym then, John!

I had a long run scheduled for today and went out despite still having the weird swimmy head thing. I woke at 5 and was ready to go out at 6 but, unfortunately, my colon wasn't, so I ended up going out at 6:45.
    I opted for the Wandle Trail, which I always enjoy (aside from the flies and, currently, the bloody nettles which have overgrown the path in places...I was wearing shorts).
    The first 10 miles were OK. Then my dodgy colon forced me to find a bush, which annoyed me as it's not like I hadn't been to the loo three fricking times before I set out. After that I had to deal with the swimmy head for the rest of the run. It sort of came and went. I dealt with it - I even decided to press on to 20 miles and it was OK. Still, wish it would eff off.

That's 50 miles for the week, which is the most I've done all year but I have done two long runs this week so it's a bit of a jump up.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    New shoes day. Head's a little less swimmy this morning though not quite normal - I'm starting to think ears or maybe allergies (though I never had any when I was young). My tinnitus has been more noticeable and I also had a little catarrh during the run. I think I'll try an anti-histamine and see if that helps.
    Anyway, lovely cool sunny day so perfect for a new shoes cruise. While I wasn't bursting with energy, my legs actually feel pretty good considering they ran 20 miles on Sunday and did a little light gym work yesterday, so I ended up doing 6 miles. 
    As for the shoes, I feel positive about them so far. While I would have preferred a flyknit upper, they are comfortable enough (though I will have to play around with lacing a bit). I had an ache in the outside of my left foot for just under a mile, which also happens in my Peg Turbos which have a similar upper. Not sure why but it does pass.
    I'll need to try them for a longer distance to see if they remain comfortable - after all, my Invincibles felt lovely for short distances but start to rub after 90 minutes or so. If they do work out, though, I can see them as a decent replacement for the Epics. They are light and responsive enough to be as versatile.
  • Options
    Cal, 20 miles is great esp as you were feeling rough 
    Tinnitus gets you down. I'm lined up for ears to be syringed and I'm hoping that will help rid me of the condition. I'll let you know if it does the trick, but I'm not optimistic.

So, injury corner (again!). After my decent parkrun I made a late decision to do a 5k event in Hailsham, E. Sussex innthe Sunday. I had the sense not to do the 10k which was just as well as the groin tweaked after 3k and it was the walk of shame back to the finish.

2 races in 2days isn't bright. Back to rehab and hope to be fit for parkrun tourism on Sat.

PS what made it worse was that when I saw the results, I'd have won my age cat at 6 minute pace rather than getting crocked straining for 4!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh John!
    I did just go and get my blood pressure checked at the chemist to make sure it wasn't anything to do with that and my BP is staggeringly normal. So I've bought some allergy tablets to see if those help.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Decent weekend of running Cal - well done.  Good news on the shoes.  Might be a candidate for your ultra then. Hope the tablets help.

I think I might have slipped into overtraining pre marathon JB.  18 weeks of full on training is a long time though I have done it before with no problems.  On the other hand I haven't delivered a decent long distance race since before the pandemic.  I am not a spring chicken at 49 but shouldn't really be over the hill yet either I would have thought.  Mixed weekend for you - great parkrun and not so great 5k!  Take it easy.

I had four days off of running as I was in Milan and didn't take my running gear.  I could have run there as there was a decent park a few minutes from the hotel.  Also saw a race - thousands of pink T-shirt clad ladies...

Group run yesterday evening.  My legs didn't feel like they had had a break (well we did plenty of walking), indeed they were very heavy but maybe also due to the humidity and warmth.  Don't seem to be able to cope with that anymore.  I was glad of the reasonable pace.  Decent turnout for us these days.  It was also nice to be visited by a former runner who has decided to hang up his shoes due to long-term achilles issues.   Most who have left have just disappeared - he decided to come and officially say goodbye.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well Hazel, I did set my marathon PB (and actually all my PBs) at 52 so you're probably fine for a little while yet. But yes, around the age of the big M, heat does get harder to deal with.
    Shame about your clubmate - having suffered with my achilles over the years, I can sympathise but I like to think it wouldn't stop me from trying.

12 miler today with some speed in the middle. Basically I wanted to get that Strava crown on the Pollard's Hill road loop which I missed by one second last week. Ran slow/easy on the way there, then picked up the pace a bit once I got to the loop (it's just over half a mile long and undulating). I did four laps, managed to get the course record on the third and then bettered it by two seconds on the fourth before heading back home (I actually didn't know this as I had to wait to check Strava at home, but I was pretty sure I'd beaten it as I pushed harder than last week). Obviously back to an easier pace on the way back. Mostly felt OK - a bit of grumpiness from right ham tendon and I did feel a bit spacey during the last mile and a half. Still, not bad.
  • Options
    Hazel, that's always sad when  club mates hang up their shoes. 49 is a great age as you will soon be a very young 50 and can get some category wins. I'm 69 bext birthday and desperate for the big 7-0!

Cal, congrats on your Strava crowns. I'm not into Strava but anything that motivates you is great.
    Sounds like you are feeling a bit better.

Well, I can't compete with Hazel's Milan but today we went to Leith Hill in Surrey. Only a hike but steep enough to count as a workout and we saw a grass snake and heard a cuckoo. 

Bike ride planned tomorrow and then I'll test the groin with a run on Friday. Planning to run the Itchen Valley pr. A bit out of your patch Cal.
    Looks lovely but I'm very wary.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I might make it down there at some point, John - I'm steadily mopping up all the closer ones.

I didn't sleep well and woke up tired (well, I woke up quite a few times - I think this is down to the increase in temperature) so I decided I'd give myself a few hours to come to and go out later. I also figured I'd better get used to it being warm as I'll be running during the hottest part of the day during the ultra. So I went out around 10 and did 10 miles, easy pace, in the Novas. Shoes were OK but I had quite a bit of chafing elsewhere (at least I know which bra I won't be using!) I've also come to the horrifying realisation that the under arm chafing isn't my skin rubbing against my vest armhole, but the loose skin under my arm actually rubbing against itself. Grim. Either I'll have to wear a T-shirt on the day or remember to use a lot of lube.
  • Options
    Morning, Afternoon, Evening everyone...

Busy for the last while and everything been a struggle to get the session in alongside everything else. Bit of speed work from myself and looking at next 4 weeks nothing is going to change. Matter of trying to build that up before HM training for months after.

Think for the first time ever I'm beginning to suffer with the high pollen count which alongside the heat makes running hard at the minute. I looked like a beetroot yesterday after a moderate run ! 
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I think the big M is half of the problem Cal.  Well done on the strava crowns - did you see that you are fairly close to another one?  I had one of mine stolen recently but the cyclist (!) was kind enough to change the activity type.. Good idea regarding the heat acclimatization.  If you are planning on wearing a pack then a t-shirt might be the better idea as packs have great potential for chafing.

Careful with the test run today JB.  I am also looking forward to the 5-0 for the category change.  One thing that Milan is lacking in is hills.  

Good to see you DH.  I am in a similar position to you regarding pre-training before the HM but I should likely start doing some minor speedwork too.  Likely as of next week.  

Cycled on Wednesday - a slow mtb trundle (I don't do fast anyway).  Yesterday afternoon 8.8 miles - it was warm and breezy - the outward leg into the wind was more pleasant than the return stretch into the sun.  Likely had DH's beetroot face.  This would normally be a mundane sort of run but after a few days off and mostly ploddy otherwise it felt quite pleasing.