Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Monday was a lot cooler than Sunday here too, though it's still warm. Back down to the lower 20s at least.
    I ventured out for my first post-ultra run today - groin's been niggling but it's generally OK for a run. I didn't feel much soreness, just overall fatigue (it was very humid though, which won't have helped). 
    The hot weather's meant that, as well as recovering from the ultra, I've also had inadequate sleep for the past couple of weeks, so I'm mindful of not pushing it too much. I do want to do parkrun though (as I missed Saturday's for obvious reasons) but haven't decided where or how fast. Probably not fast at all, if today is any indication.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A soggy 5 mile plod today but still low on energy (though the drizzle was refreshing). Injected a few low key strides into the last mile. By low key, I mean 10:xx pace, seeing as I was plodding at over 12. Need to get my stride back, seeing as I actually have a 10K on the 9th.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good to see you out running Cal - I would keep it gentle for now and use the 10k to get a benchmark you can then work on.  Looking back I felt pretty good legwise after my 50k but needed a couple of weeks to get going again.

Tough run yesterday for me - 8.1 mi in total with four of those at tempo pace.  Pleased to get back to this distance (P&D starts you off at this at the outset of marathon training (which I'm not at the moment)), could be a few seconds faster per mile yet but it was pretty warm yesterday evening.  Pace was constant at least and I likely dropped a couple of seconds on 3 180 degree turnarounds.   I also cycled some 14 miles to and from the run - the to bit is easy as it is almost all downhill, but what goes down must come back up.  I did take the longer route home though (hence the distance) so less steep.  Was a lovely evening actually - the combines were happily munching their way through the grain.   Meant a post 9pm evening meal but I had a decent lunch and wasn't actually that hungry.

Wonder how JB is getting on?
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    8.7 miles yesterday evening.  I got my first drenching in weeks, months maybe.  The forecast was for a heavy shower to slip past us but we got hit by a thunderstorm instead.  The visual and sound effects were not so spectacular but the rain was pretty heavy - I was able to wring out my pants post-run.  Shame I had also been to the hairdressers in the afternoon - it wasn't too great for the fresh style.  Legs were initially pretty heavy but I soon got distracted by the weather and didn't notice them anymore.    
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I'm impressed you are out doing anything at all Cal 👏 make sure you take it easy. Speaking to a physio the other day and the key reason people get injured is not taking enough recovery over anything else. I can believe that too as I was itching to build on what I'd done...

Jealous of your thunder Hazel. I've been threatened with storms for weeks and I've not seen one ! Drizzly day today but no sign :( Heat is draining on any pace !

Had a few repeat sessions this week which have felt much better than previous weeks, finally starting to feel benefits of proper training again... 

No Parkrun for me tomorrow need to get my long run in as it's a mates birthday in the afternoon. I won't want to do it Sunday !

Hope John is good...

• Options
    Early long run complete, no parkrun to get it done this weekend... 10x 1k@MP, 1k@80%MP, stats look good but felt leggy towards the end. I'm sure that is blister and pain related. Still warm and a little muggy but not bad conditions given last few weeks

Hope everyone's weekends are going swimmingly 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did my local parkrun - I did look at going out of London but when it came for me to leave, it was pissing with rain so said sod. It had stopped in time for my local run, which was Pride themed, so I busted out the rainbow leggings. Way too warm for those but never mind. Took it relatively easy - 30:20 was my time.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8 mile plod today - still tired but nothing hurt too much.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Decent parkrun considering you ran an ultra not so long ago Cal.  I was suprised to see a lady out in long leggings yesterday albeit boring black ones.

Hope you survived the birthday party DH.  Nice long run.

I got drenched again on Friday - we had a visitor drop in for Friday/Saturday and couldn't postpone my run any longer on Friday afternoon.  Wasn't quite as bad as Thursday though.  We took our visitor on a cycle trip around the area on Saturday so no running then.  MLR on Sunday with progression from recovery pace to around my old MP pace until around 11.x miles and a couple of miles cool-down to complete a first HM distance in July.  I had intended to do a full progressive HM with 3k fast at the end but didn't manage it.  Was a bit tired from cycling the day before.
  • Options
    Rained here yesterday with a much lower temperature so went for my hard/fast run yesterday....
    12x (300m@ 10k/MP/5k) with 90 second recoveries

Damn hard run that and opened up the blister again even though long run at the weekend it was fine and feeling good. I may have to sacrifice a few runs to really allow it to heal...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good running, Hazelnut. 
    DH, always tricky with blisters - I take you had a plaster or tape on it?

I felt pretty much OK after my Sunday run so decided to go ahead and enter the last race in the Wimbledon Trail Series, which was tonight. The first two races are 5 miles but the last is 8, though there was a one lap (4.4 option) as well.
    Trouble was, I felt rough as hell Monday and Tuesday...scratchy soft palate again, catarrh and fatigue. I was even wiped out enough to have an afternoon sleep on Monday and a bit of a nap yesterday too. Fortunately I felt a bit better this morning so popped out for a slow 2 mile tester jog.
    I decided to go to the race and I didn't feel too bad, though I had some acid reflux from lunch and afternoon snack. When it came to the point where I could either finish the shorter race or go around for a second lap, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and to leave it there. I am also in for the Asics 10K on Sunday so there was little to be gained from pushing on to 8 miles on a tricky undulating trail course. I ran around 10 minute pace for the 4.4 miles which is alright considering the ups and downs and tricky surfaces. Hopefully I can do a bit better than that on the roads on Sunday.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    That blister is taking a while DH.  Is it maybe the shoes?  Have a rootle around inside if there are any signs of damage, rogue folds where there shouldn't be?  Socks? 

Sorry to hear you have been off the last couple of days Cal.  Sounds like you ran that race sensibly.  Take it easy the next couple of days and hopefully you will be ok for Sunday.

I started this week with a ploddy recovery of 6.6 miles on Monday. 

I wasn't able to do my standard run on Tuesday evening and had a planned powercut in the afternoon meaning I couldn't work so I had the great idea to do some speedwork at lunchtime.  We are facing a 30 degree + heatwave as of the weekend and I wanted to get some of that over and done with.  It wasn't overly hot at lunch with a light breeze but I underestimated the impact of the sun - I overheated badly and hit the brakes after 2 decent enough 800m reps.  Some switch clicked and both legs and the rest said No!.  Couldn't even summon up the energy for a warm-down jog and walked (briskly) back.  Wasn't great timing really - I also forgot the suncream on my shoulders..

I had another go at the same session yesterday evening - 5 x 800m (2:30 recoveries) and got it done with no issues this time.  Ok it was hard work but it is supposed to be.  Air temps were similar but the sun was not as strong.  Pleased to have ticked the box.  With a decent warm-up and warm-down 9.7 miles.
  • Options
    If anyone has got any tips I'll take them on blisters...

Wearing extreme compeed blister patches with kinesiology tape holding it in place. It helps and a day off or an easy run not pounding it for a few days its feels good but never heals fully. Big run and I'm back to square one... 😭

Feeling tired is to still be expected I would think Cal. Take it easy. Agree discretion at this point is the best bet. I like doing events just because, rather than expecting times from them all. I have a few races planned and entered but only race I'm gunning for is Cardiff.
  • Options
    Think we crossed posts Hazel... Yes it really is taking an age, problem really is I keep running on it really...

It's not shoes, socks etc just something that happened during the Rack Raid and never healed. Although I've found best neutral, flat shoes I have are the speed 3s. 

I've been on those hot runs and overheating is a serious problem. Take it easy and drink loads. I've started laps so I can have a bottle of water with me...

Got up early today for my CV run to beat the heat. Sets of pace. Comparing to my previous 3 other sessions I can see real progress which I'm happy with :) 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    After an easy 4 yesterday, I decided to travel to Essex and Billericay parkrun, which is easily accessible via the train. But it was very warm and, you could say, I got hot and sticky in Billericay. Slow mile warm-up and then the four lap parkrun, which is somewhat undulating (there's one notable incline which gets tougher with each lap, and then a smaller incline, though there's a corresponding amount of down and a nice flat part around a lake.
    The park itself is very nice, but I was a bit too tired and hot to do it justice. I was just under 29 minutes and then went straight home as I've the Asics 10K tomorrow and want to be as rested as possible.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    ASICS 10K today - thankfully not as hot and sticky as yesterday though still warm (mostly overcast). As I'm not fully recovered from the ultra, I figured I'd just aim for under an hour. I usually work in miles but messed up by accidentally pressing my lap button when I was adjusting the position of my watch so I just visually checked the time every time I went past a KM marker, trying to keep it under 6minutes per split. This worked pretty well and I built up a little buffer, finishing in 58:33 with a slight neg split. (HR was high, though, but whatever).
    Course was decent but basically a series of out and backs with tight turns at the end of each one - it did go past plenty of notable landmarks, though. Nice medal and shirt. I don't think it's an EA race, though, but whatever - not like I ran a PB.
  • Options
    Well done Cal !! I've seen that Asics medal and it's a thing of beauty. The course with the out & backs didn't look too pleasant

Long run for me yesterday, taking it slow and easy to get this blister healing which seems to be working but I have a quicker session tomorrow so fingers crossed
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Solid result Cal, well done.  Out and backs aren't great for constant pacing.

Hope the foot goes ok today DH.

We are into hot weather at the moment here which isn't great but I am fitting in a bit of training around it even if it does mean getting up earlier than I normally do.

I did a hill fartlek of nearly 9 miles on Friday meaning cruising the flats (not that there was much of that) and the downhills and working a bit harder on the ups, pace depending on the length and gradient of the current slope.  Went well enough and was mostly shady.

Day off for some cycling on Saturday and a 13 miler on Sunday - I have a goal of running around the ridge I live up the top off and needed to scope out part of the route.  Was out for more than 2 hours but with navigational stops and running out of beans on the last couple of miles not surprising.  Need to tweak one bit so I am not on the (quiet) road.

Recovery run yesterday of 7 miles before work - already warm and humid leaving me soaked in sweat at even recovery pace.

Hoping for some thunderstorms this evening/tonight so I can get back to some speedier stuff.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's a bit cooler here, thankfully. Heat and humidity is so draining.

6 miles today - 5 miles progression (not silly speeds - last mile came in at 9:11) and a mile cooling down. I've got mile relays on the 25th so want to get my cadence back to what it was.
    Only problem is I've got a tight right calf (has been a bit tight since the ultra and the Wimbledon race and 10K hasn't helped) and my left hip feels a bit janky (it's the right one where I have the groin issue). I've been quite conservative in my mileage since the ultra plus I've been doing my hip programme but I'm still stiff and sore in places. I don't think taking a full rest is going to help either, as I'm not convinced my issue isn't caused by sitting!
  • Options
    Our heat is being replaces with cooler temps and considerable rain for a week or so it seems ! Rather that than the heat you are getting though Hazel...

Trying to fit all my sessions in I done 6 in a row, admittedly easy runs some of that. My previous speed session I managed 3 out of 4 reps, I was done. HR high, legs tired, breathing like I'd sprinted a marathon so canned the last one. Rest day today thankfully with 6x 2k/1k to do tomorrow...

Not much running this weekend as I'm helping out my boys Scout camping group
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Your progressive run looked good Cal - nicely controlled.  Hope you can control those niggles.

With 6 runs in a row you needed some easy sessions DH.  Enjoy the rest day today.  Hope the weather improves for the Scout camp (or the tents are waterproof!).

My return to speedier stuff didn't go too well yesterday - temps were down at least but the humidity was very hight again.  My aim was to do 10k at a decent effort - decent being around HM effort rather than tempo which is faster and I didn't feel up to.  I had to can it after 7k - my breathing was ridiculous, more like 10k or intervals level.  Starting to get frustrated - I could do with a decent period of training and I am again not going to get it.  Likely then more crap races will result from it.  I don't see myself ever getting back to 2018/2019 standards but the fall off the cliff in performance since is just ridiculous. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I sympathise, Hazel...I've gone from a sub-4 marathon to over 2 hours for a half. I'm 2-3 minutes slower over 5K and it just gets worse from there. I haven't had covid and aging wouldn't account for such a massive drop in such a short space of time. I've been wondering if the vaccines did anything as my performance didn't suffer until 2021 after the first one.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    'Fraid I have had similar thoughts here Cal.  

I have also thought about looking around for a coach but have shied away from the expense so far and thoughts that I am just a "normal" runner.   It might help me get out of this rut though.  Some sort of reflection of what I have done and am doing in the last few years would be a start - I should try to do that myself first.

DH: I think you are getting coached?  Any thoughts?

Anyway - I was out again yesterday evening - still warm but much less humid.  I should have swopped my workouts around I guess.  Bad planning.  Flat 8.8 miles done in 1:14 and felt much better.  River route - the water was pretty brown and the current faster than normal from the recent thunderstorms/rain - I was surprised how many people were in the water.    
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah I would consider a coach myself if I had two pennies to rub together but sadly I don't. At the moment I'm not even sure if I want to capitalise on all the endurance training I did for my ultra and do a marathon in the Autumn (the issue here is that choice is very limited given my financial situation) or if I say sod it, work more on my speed and stick with halves. I really, really don't know.
    People were swimming in dirty brown water? Yeuch!

4 miles today - I was considering a second rest day to let my calf and hip settle down but in the end I went out just before lunch for a slow four with some not too fast strides in the last mile. I want to be able to go to parkrun and not worry about whether something will break and it seems it won't - my body is just being extra grumpy at the moment. I guess I sustained quite a bit of muscle damage during the ultra even though I was being very conservative with pacing and taking walk breaks, due to me being on my feet three hours longer than my slowest ever marathon.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Henlow Bridge Lakes parkrun today - a two and two third lap trail course around a fishing lake by a caravan park. Actually quite nice. Was running just over 9 minute pace but ran out of gas on the last mile - neither legs nor CV system able to cope, so guess I'm not recovered from the ultra yet. 29:03.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I went out for a 10 miler today (longest run since the ultra). Felt reasonably good so pushed the pace a bit, though it was more a case of trying to keep up a good cadence (my cadence has dropped off a bit in the last year so I need to get it back up if I want to run faster) rather than going by what my watch was saying. I did overcook it towards the end - mile 9 included a hill and I was quite out of breath. I'd been running 10:30ish so figured 10:40 would be OK for that mile and was then surprised to find out it was my fastest mile. I wasn't checking HR either but it was rather high.
    Probably overdid it as my right glute/ham tendon is quite cross with me now, despite having done half an hour of hip mobs before I went out. Ugh.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    If you have decent halves available then I would likely go for that option and try to get some speed back Cal.  Your progressive 10 miler looked good yesterday.  I found doing some longer runs in that style quite helpful in the past though not too often if you are looking to push the pace hard towards the end.  

Visit to the PIL at the weekend in southern Germany - the only way I was going to run on Saturday was to get up early and get it done before breakfast.  Back to one of my standards for the region a lake, with 7km loops of which I did 2.  Due to the large body of water it was very humid again but fortunately not yet too warm (it got up to 30+ later).  I should have run in the other direction as there is a two mile straight stretch which always does my head in (I race there on occasion), the weir never gets closer!  

Back home for Sunday's run - out later this time, I was lucky that the sun mostly stayed behind the clouds.  Classic MLR with a comfy start and a comfy hard second half for a HM in just over 1:49.  Pleased with how that went.  Stuck on another 1.5 miles cool-down for my longest run since mid-May.  HM distance is no problem, just need to get some speed back.  
  • Options
    Howdy all ! 

Hazel getting a coach to do my plans was by far the best decision I've made when it comes to progress. It is a bespoke plan to me and what I dictate is my next goal. I wouldn't have come close to the intensity and mileage asked of me because I didn't think I was capable. He understands the build and body adaption over time where I don't have a clue... Certainly would have done Manchester anywhere near as quick ! After my HM target in October I'm looking forward to the next full marathon block now strangely.

If you search online for coaches some charge exuberant amounts because they are 'YouTube' stars and people don't know better. I don't pay anywhere near that level of cash and I truly believe I get a better plan/service from it as he wants to coach rather than thinking they can having done zero education on it...

Completed my long run on Friday in real biblical rain. Battle of attrition to get it done but it was oddly enjoyable but I was soaked head to toe. Went camping as a volunteer for Scouts with my boy this weekend, wet, bad night sleep etc but he enjoyed it and for some reason my speed session 14x300m late yesterday afterwards was great and I did feel better for it afterwards... Go figure

Lighter efforts this week with a 10k trail on Sunday. Very hard course and didn't managed under an hour last year so that's the aim ! Cracking medals though :) 
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the coaching feedback DH.  Some of my best runs have been in bad weather.  Glad the Scouts weekend went well despite the weather.  Sounds like a plan for this week.

7.7 miles yesterday evening - added in a set of short hill efforts and another of strides.  Pretty warm and muggy as usual and I had pretty heavy legs on setting off.  They did improve a bit during the run fortunately so that I got the efforts done ok.  Worked a bit on my arm technique so that I wasn't doing the chicken flapping as much (I hope).
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Humidity was even worse yesterday - I was dripping with sweat for most of my run.  Was due a recovery but it certainly didn't really feel like one.  6.4 miles in 1:02.