Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Sounds a decent outing, BIrch! I guess you are now in that uncomfortable position of knowing when you can or cannot go flat out. 

Enjoyed the stairs article, TS! And hope you enjoy the clip below of the 1969 PO Tower Race. Three of my friends feature, although one is no longer with us.

(90) GPO Tower Race To Top (1969) - YouTube

Forgot to mention the weather today! Yesterday was dull all day with a little drizzle, even though the forecast was sunshine; today the forecast was grey and cloudy...so we have had a fair amount of sun! 21 degrees. Only 16 yesterday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    great archive - wonder where that trophy is now that Mr Pearson won?
    That was a lot of stairs!

Dave
    good outing and "fluid" is a word I have not used for a long time to describe my action - other than the arm raising one!

Semms I may have plateaued at the push ups - haven't been able to get beyond that number for a few days now, so time to catch up :)

Warm. windy & wettish for an early outing. As it was dark and I couldn't see Garmin I "ran" from the off for 2.25 miles in 25:30 (11:25m/m) with a high avHR of 135/max146 missing out half of the big hill - not that daft :)

Garmin regarded it as a tempo run!!

Wordle in four
  • Options
    Yesterday PT session and a tempo paced run after only 30 minutes.

Today a wet 40 minute run legs are always tired day after G session.

Dave nice workout and hope no issues.

TS Nice running!!

Ale will look at video and article form TS -but no stairs here;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Dave: Feeling more fluid over 6.25 miles is good news 
    Ale: A decent short reps session.  Around 8km total?
    TS: Quite a long article.  Alas only skimmed through the first third and the rest, pics only!  Stair walking maybe (do normally walk up escalators, or take adjacent stairs - when I do encounter them). Not so certain about regular running up (& down?) stairs at our age though (Dave's recent little incident comes to mind).  We do have one flight of stairs here but I doubt one flight half a dozen times a day counts.

Planned outing this morning gazumped by (overlooked) grandkids arriving early for brekkie, then take to school, vote, ...  Tomorrow!  Inspired by TS's exploits, I did (just) manage 25 press ups this morning, though! 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Sounding busy, NZD! Tomorrow...! And yes, just under 8k yesterday.

TS, I will ask Mr Pearson about the trophy! And hope your run hasn't caused any problems! How is your patient?

Wet and cold here, and even colder as I had my hair cut pre-run. A damp 28 and a half minutes. 12 degrees. Was 22 yesterday! Long stretch later. 

Wordle in five
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WP

not more rain!!
    two good back to back sessions 

No stairs? you don't know what you are missing :)

NZD
    aahh - one of those mornings :)
    Half a dozen times a day going up a flight would count.
    I am not sure Dave was on his way to the alehouse.............

D*mn - I will have to try for an extra one tomorrow - been beyond me all week so far.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Speed group here - but I remained cautious; did the reps, but at the back at tempo-ish effort.   5 miles with warmup/down. 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Uh oh.  I sense a small press up competition in progress.  Twenty five again this morning before run, but only 15 after.  Will consolidate at 25 max for now before attempting next step up.  Unless of course shamed into more, sooner!  Gold standard for a few of the younger guys in the Tokyo office seems to be three finger press ups, or around 80 normal ones.  No intention of competing with them.  Did check out the former option but with my slightly arthritic fingers did not risk getting even close to lifting my knees off the floor.

Wet and cold (and windy) here too this morning Ale - except ...  Shower hit just after I started running.  Already cold in my light short sleeved running top so I chickened out, paused the watch and took shelter for 5-10 mins. Thankfully, cleared up after that. Alas, even slower than on Monday (8.3km @ 6:30).  And HR (125/141) up a notch :(.  Did attempt a brief 'faster' (~5:30) stint but pulled back after less than a minute. Barely even tempo pace (mine, let alone Dave's).  Regardless, R quad (vastus medialis part, TS!) did not like it.  Clearly still a long road ahead to recover fitness.
  • Options
    You guys can keep the press up's especially with a bad shoulder :)

I do manage 21 sit ups with G on a Tuesday <3

Nice to see NZD out and at it again.;)

The ran is here for a few days but just drizzle this morning and a 44 minute run all done I am seeing faster times most of week.Torrential rain due in over night and tomorrow so that run maybe tricky-I may have a rest day as not had one this week.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    there won't be may of those trophies around. Wasn't BT tower closed to the public shortly after after a bomb threat /blast?

Look what happens when you have a haircut!

Knee was okish whilst running thanks, but stiffened up quite quickly on finishing.
    Stairs workouts during the day helped ease it off again so they come in handy.

Like NZD I am becoming expert if quads and quad exercises and my timing of 20 sec is often questioned in no uncertain terms by the patient!

Dave
    very wise :)

NZD
    wot - you mean you are not pushing up and doing a hand clap on each push up ;)?
    I can recall seeing Bruce Lee do two finger (thumb & forefinger) one hand press ups but I don't think I will try those!

Sounded rough out there this morning for your run - I don't think a stoppage and then running again would have helped you as muscles get cold and lactate builds up - bit miserable in fact!

After aforementioned reaction in my knee I contented myself to a brisk walk in glorious crisp sunshine and a near grass frost - complete with fleece top !!

Wordle in five
  • Options
    Wordle in 6
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Wordle disaster...a bit like the rest of the day.

Seemed to spend a large part of the night being sick, then grabbed a couple of hours sleep during the day. Just over 2k gently run. Legs resembled jelly. Glad that I wasn't working today. 
    Probably a dirty glass.

Actually three other family members have had similar and it largely goes as quickly as it comes.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm going to ask everyone currently posting on this thread an honest question. 

What on earth are you doing to yourselves? 

🙂

• Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    alehouse
    sounds like a classic g'kid spreader!

RicF
    growing old disgracefully - in the company of like minded folk :)

The old maxim is always in my mind- use it, or lose it!

Hence Wordle...

re push-ups - got to 23 this morning and then was stuck half way up/down with muscles refusing to work any more :/ Need to lose weight!

went out dark, drizzly and dreek - ran 2.5 miles in 28:15 (11:28m/m) with avHR 133/max 144 - longest run in 12 weeks!

Rounded it off with wordle in two - so something was working! Last letter in place and two others in the first line meant there was only a very few words to choose from

Super weekend of sport to watch - rugby all the way through with some other stuff to leaven the mix
  • Options
    Wordle in four. Obviously the wrong starting word!

Agree with your maxim etc, TS!

Went to work whilst not feeling great but managed to get through the day. Short off road run in bright sunshine on the way home. Good timing as it had rained for most of the day. 

I had planned to hit a parkrun quite hard tomorrow; now off the agenda. 

On the agenda will be football, cricket and rugby of both codes!

• Options
    I am  also going to be rugby watching-I don't gamble but have had a flutter on the outcome of the rugby ;-)

rest day today my tummy has swollen the size of a large football and painful.Food allergy or IBS!

TS I agree with that maxim as I think all of us do-Use it or lose it;-) also growing old disgracefully :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    never gamble on outcomes that you have a vested interest in :/

There were some comments after last week that there could be an all NH semi-final - we'll be lucky if thee is one team from there in it!

.... and I don't mean England.

Having said that they will probably scrape through against Fifi, meet France on a wet and windy afternoon and win on penalties and then a turgid final victory - optimist that I am :)

alehouse
    unusual for a RL game to be so low scoring.

Hop you are feeling better today

Hard day's gardening yesterday mainly centred around severely pruning a holly tee into a symmetrical ball - prickly work!!

Unfortunately it involved a lot of ladder work and my knee reacted accordingly as I found out this morning - either that or the overnight frost had got into my bones - super sunshine glistening off the frosted ground, but very cold at -2C

Bailed out after a mile sor so and felt very chilled walking back home

Wordle in five yesterday and four today
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that the knee wasn't playing ball today, TS.

Enjoyed all three rugby games yesterday but not Friday when Leicester Tigers, missing ten players  at the world cup, were thrashed by Bristol. 

Still unwell here so just a short run. Have cancelled both M78 tomorrow and tonight's visit to the alehouse. 

Wordle in four. 
  • Options
    TS: You are a wise man luckily I only lost a fiver.Never again will I gamble it made the game even worse for me.But the best teams won on the day.
    Wow that was cold we were 2 degrees this morning at 7am.Shame about knee.

Ale hope you pick up soon.

I ran it was uncomfortable but runable and eased of after a lap -as today is 5k laps of Rec about 10 secs a mile down on last week.
    Two weeks today 10k it will just be about enjoying the day as usually this race is end of July.So weather could be warm or baltic :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Wordle in five.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Welshpoppy said:
    I am  also going to be rugby watching-I don't gamble but have had a flutter on the outcome of the rugby ;-)

rest day today my tummy has swollen the size of a large football and painful.Food allergy or IBS!

TS I agree with that maxim as I think all of us do-Use it or lose it;-) also growing old disgracefully :)

I think that maxim needs closer examination. It certainly doesn't apply to running and other forms of intense exercise.

As far as our bodies are concerned, those are considered luxury items only to be used in emergencies. Too stressful and destructive by half to be routine activities.

This means, that unless you are physically A1 to start with. Then adding even more physical stress to the situation can only make things worse. Forget trying to be fit. The aim should be to be healthy.

Disgraceful? That's for others to employ and me to avoid them.

🙂

• Options
    alehouse
    nasty - lingering on like that.

There were some strange club rugby results over the weekend as international call-ups took their toll

Last night's game - France v SA topped them all. Incredible intensity and skill.
    Loved SA calling for a scrum off a mark in their 22, just to pull the French forwards up the pitch, made them scrummage hard and then have to go all the way back down the pitch after SA got possession and kicked long, draining a bit more of their energy reserves out of them!!

WP
    as a wise man once said......

a 10K in two weeks, something to look forward to :)

RicF
    the safest thing healthwise one can do is to sit in a chair, the most dangerous thing one can do healthwise is to continue sitting there.

So holly tree 1 me 0. 
    Knee decidedly not playing ball, but the holly ball, all 5' diameter of it, looks fine.
    That was as far as I got his morning - chilly as well but not quite yesterday's temperatures. Weakened resolve however yesterday and put the heating on!!

Wordle in five today
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZD - any excursions?

WP - shame re the £5  :)   

alehouse - ditto missing the alehouse!  

TS - sorry the knee still not playing (holly) ball . . .  

RicF - I guess the honest answer to "what are you doing do yourselves" is "I don't know", but I enjoy the hobby . . .   

completed last week with mostly easy running, but tried a hard(er) but not quite fullon parkrun on Sat - 25:12 on the twisty, 3 x hairpin course which I recorded a 24:19 on 4 weeks ago. No hamstring issues.  37.5 miles for the week, after rest day yesterday. 
    10.5 miles this morning. Double gloves, but fingertips took a while to warm up! 

In other news, J 17th at Manchester HM in 68:55. The route may have passed through alehouse territory.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Wordle in four. 

Sorry to hear that the Holly is troubling your knee, TS! Managed to watch the Fr/SA match on TV whilst watching Wales v Croatia football on my phone! 

Still not right but slightly better today,  recording around 4.5k. Mainly a bad headache now; never get headaches.  A decent night's sleep might help. Up early today ready for grandchild duty from 7. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re: Birch,

I'll have to admit, my relative level of stoicism is pretty low. 

🙂

• Options
    Dave
    that was a good week and a cautiously  good parkrun on those tight bends :)
    Glove season indeed!!

Great time by J at the Manchester HM - well under 70min!

alehouse
    lingering indeed - hope it is soon gone.  It hasn't been the dreaded Covid again as a headache is a marker?

Impressive two screen procedure!

RicF
    but is your relative level of stoicism really low or high - as in indifferent to pleasure, joy, as well as sorrow or pain :)?

Felt quite pleased not to endure an outing this morning - freezing mist clinging to the ground.
    Knee still a problem so it looks like the conservative treatment has not worked and it will be a bit of keyhole surgery but first I have to get Mrs TS onto her feet so that she can now look after me - I reckon I am owed big time :)!

Wordle in two this morning after first and third letter in the right place and one floater in one there was only one word that fitted!
  • Options
    Cross post yesterday,  Birch. Well done on braving a parkrun, and congratulations to J! Usually I am asked to stand on a corner wearing a fluoride bib, or I spectate. Neither this year, which being unwell was for the best. 

Felt a fair bit better this morning so just over half an hour on the nearby trails. Almost perfect autumnal conditions: a little give underfoot,  hazy sunshine,  slightest of breezes. Rain forecast for three or four days from tomorrow lunchtime, and strong winds.

Wordle in four. 

• Options
    I think you are owed some pamper time from Mrs TS once she is on her feet.How is she doing?

Monday was 45 minutes whilst Mr WP was at circuits.Today was PT session we added an extra set with DL at 40k and 22 sit ups first set second set 10. Shoulder still a pain but I can see some improvement although it is small.
    Struggling with fatigue as jab is 11 days late and another 10 to go so maybe on knees by then.

Wordle in five but can not remember what the word was? I always write them down
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    sounded good out there - and feeling better as well, excellent!

WP
    very upsetting you not being able to get the jab at the right time - perhaps slacken off a bit?

It's  a bit more complicated with Mrs TS as she needs to build up the strength in her leg with the fractured patella  so that she can then have a hip replacement on the other leg for which she had an appointment booked before the fall!
    That has now been postponed until mid January .
    It was really the collapse of that hip that caused her fall and my minor stuff can wait until we get all that cleared up.

Had  a wander out early this morning. Met my barber in the Gardens on his way to his shop. He took one look at my hair and said he would fit me in as soon as he opened up, so I returned home with a haircut!
    After 10 weeks I needed it.

Wordle in three 
  • Options
    Ah poor Mrs TS I hope the build up goes to plan and she gets the hip replacement.
    Nice dual purpose walk with haircut.

Late start today as pretty tired but a nice 3+ miles the winds were pretty nasty in places but still a good run.

I am going for keeping the pace and maybe reduce the time or miles until jab as race is last Sunday of the month.
    Out of six races I have actually been well for two so would like to make this third one.Even if the time will be slower than I planned.

Wordle fail for me!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression