Options

P & D Autumn Marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    D’oh. I’m getting my years mixed up Macca 😆
    Well my training has been getting back into a rhythm recently.
    Since the end of the silly season I’ve had 35, 43, 29, 34 & 45 mile weeks. 
    Last week I managed to tip over 50M with a 16.4M LR Sunday. It was very hilly & a mix of road & trail so pace was glacial but it’s progress. 
    Shame parkrun went backwards the day before 21:09 after a promising 20:40 on the same course the previous week.
  • Options
    Bit late but just popping in to say bloody well done, Macca. You've been a legend this year. Again.
  • Options
    Thanks Cal, appreciated.  It's been quite a year.  It's funny, out in Greece there were a few other people that did the Badwater Spartathlon double which almost made it feel normal.  

Possibly lifting something in or out of the car or maybe not respecting recovery enough, my back twinged then went into spasm last week so I had 6 days of walking only.  A bit of a worry with 2 weeks to NY but a 4m and 7m suggest things are getting better although tying shoe laces is still a leap of faith.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Wow, in what world is a Badwater Spartatlon double considered normal? Running either is pretty exceptional in most people's book. Go easy now Macca  as you know the training is all in the bag now and NY is the big one...

Half term holiday in Tenerife (but as runners we all know its really warm weather training) as back next month for the Gran Canaria marathon. Jet skied today, pleased to survive and still be in one peice. Lots of easy morning runs which I am hoping will help? Not very P&D though. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - you put your body through some abuse and it usually holds up pretty well, so hopefully you'll be freed up again soon.

I'm building again, after having to ease off for a while. Hope to be able to manage things as i build up and hope the s and c helps.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed, my back has eased and feels "normal".  I think I need to revisit my S&C as it feels like it's only keeping a lid on things rather than making my back stronger/more flexible.  

I feel like I've been tapering/recovering for 6 or 7 weeks with a couple of maintenance weeks thrown in so not expecting to pull up any trees in NY but hopefully gain some training stimulus for Valencia in December, that probably relies on me not burying myself this weekend, no guarantees. #2240
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Enjoy yourself Macca, I bet you'll run strongly as usual.
  • Options
    Best of British, will be cheering you on from Cornwall. Have a good one. DBS. 
  • Options
    Really enjoyed your Badwater report on the last thread Macca. I’ve come on here and it seems you’ve been quite a busy boy! More catching up on everyone else’s exploits needed. 

Anyway… hi everyone. I’m still alive. A crap summer with not much running since my ultra on 1st July. But with a significant “change of age category”  looming in April, I am trying to motivate myself to train properly for a fast marathon the first time in 4 years. Is a PB still achievable for me? Unless I train consistently, I won’t find out. 

Built up some steady consistency in the last 7 weeks… up to 30mpw which is a good base level for me and also gives me justification to put a post on here again! Absolutely delighted last week to hear the Newport marathon announced for 28th April.  Perfect timing for me - exactly the date I would have chosen. I entered on the morning that entries opened.  Hope to chart progress here (on a Spring thread). 
  • Options
    See you there NE 😀
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Great. I’m PB hunting. I’ll leave a trail of breadcrumbs for you to follow.  :)

no runs this weekend, which is disappointing. But 31 done Mon-Fri so still ok. 
  • Options
    What’s your PB NE? Sub 3:20 iirc.
    I ran 55M last week over 5 days including my fastest parkrun of 2023 (an unspectacular 20:19) & The Twmbarlwm Terror.
  • Options
    A quick check in now I'm back from New York, apologies but it's been a mad (good) few days.

Headlines, halfway in 1:28:34 and finished in 2:59:15

Really pleased with the sub 3 and an auto qualifier for next year should I decide to go back.

I thought I might be in something closer to 2:55 shape but to squeeze that out I would probably have had to cut back on pre race "entertainment" and sightseeing, not worth it, imho.

On further reflection, with minimal recovery from Spartathlon and a pulled back 3 weeks out where I couldn't bend over to tie my shoe laces, I'll take the result very happily.   From the get go with a canon start and Frank Sinatra being played, the iconic views, the enthusiastic crowds almost all the way round it's a fantastic event capped off with a Central Park finish.  I set off around 6:40 pace but could feel the pounding through my right knee (pre existing niggle maybe linked to the back).  Around halfway I got a momentary shooting pain in my knee which concerned me enough to back off a little, happily coinciding with the climb of Queensborough bridge, a natural slow down anyway.  From there it was a case of not pushing too hard to aggravate it.  I was consistently sub 6:52 ing bar the climbs which were only just over 7:00 so I never felt I had to chase the sub 3.  The knee held out although is grumbling a bit now and when I tried to push on for the last 4 miles or so I couldn't so probably a slightly enforced "well paced" race.  All in all, a great trip with a bonus marathon thrown in.  Just need to sort this knee niggle out now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you NE

Macca - another sub3, top stuff, I was watching the tracker and saw you were set for sub3. I'm with you on the knee issue.
  • Options
    Sounds amazing Macca. Well done. Look after that knee. 
    Nice week Jooligan.  
    You’re memory of my pb is close… but critically, I dipped under that mark at 3:18:51. Approximately! A while ago now though. 

• Options
    Excellent combo of marathon & fun Macca. Thanks for the report. Given you were virtually crippled after Spartathlon that’s a superb result.
    Good target then NE. Hopefully I’ll be in similar shape by the Spring. Tanda’s consistently had me at 3:20:xx for the past week having been c.4:30 at the end of August 🤣
    Day off Monday, easy 20K on the trails Tuesday & a steady 6M tonight.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Macca - Even more super stuff and a really good performance and another sub3.    What a year you've already had and with the Valencia marathon to come:  To whet your appetite: https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/tag/valencia-marathon/

NE/ Jooligan - See you at Newport.  Forget the Boston-London double, I am doing the Lonort (o the glamour!) .

But first the Gran Canaria marathon on Nov.19 and hopefully my 24th consecutive sub3 road marathon.  

• Options
    Macca - Epic stuff at NY so soon after Sparta!
    Jools/NE/OO - I did see Newport have a HM option now too, and have changed the course slightly?

Anyway, trying to build back up some mileage, but come down with a cold/cough, so no running today, will see how it goes before deciding what to do the weekend.
    Got Windermere in May and a 50 miler in June booked. Looking to get a half in April.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow OO.  That is some sub 3 streak.  Thanks for the Valencia link.

Looks like interesting plans Steve, a half would be a good build up goal imho.

Well, the knee niggle didn't respond well to "running through it" although a phantom calf strain is more of an issue atm, I don't exactly remember doing it but I remember drinking lots of whiskey 😣.  Can't complain having got through the year to this point. A dot week this week, Valencia might turn into a beach/cerveza weekend.

• Options
    Just dropping in - epic stuff from you again, Macca. I hope the calf issue is temporary. I daresay you deserve some whiskey after all the races you've done.
    OO - good luck today (I expect you're already running as I type this).

I'll join the Spring thread when it appears - I've Brighton in April and I've also booked Amsterdam for October. I'm unlikely to do an ultra next year as I want to focus on getting my speed back, or as much as I can. I had a terrible race at Alton Towers half last weekend - it wasn't that it felt awful or I suffered unduly but I just couldn't seem to do much better than 10 minute miles. I was 5 minutes slower than the previous year when I had a cold. No explanation for it. So I've a lot of work to do.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Macca - I hope you are able to run Valencia and give it a bit of a go.  On the other side of the coin, you've had one helluva year and if anyone deserves a Spanish beach and beer weekend its you.

Cal - Hope you bounce back to form for those 2 attractive looking marathons. 

Back from Gran Canaria, ran 2.59 & 30th so the sub3 streak continues.  Ran OK to mile 18 and 2.55 on the cards, then (due to the heat, fatigue and relative lack of training) felt light headed and started to slow.  Still overtook a good number of even faster slowing runners to the grateful sight of the finishing line and then turning around to see the sub 3 pacer in a full out sprint (on his own) to finish in 3.00.05!!  Marathons in the sun, followed by a swim and cold beer in a frosted glass the way to go.
  • Options
    Cal that's a decent spring autumn double. IIRC you've had some bench time this year, hopefully an injury free run and consistency will give some improvement.

OO - that's some streak, I'm on 4 and can't imagine presenting myself in the right shape 30 times consecutively never mind pulling it off on the day.

I'm pretty convinced it's a patellar tendon issue.  I had it 4 years ago and remember the physio saying it could come back.  It's slowly improving but I don't want to set it back chasing a mediocre performance next weekend so with  flights booked I'll probably make a decision out there.  I can't grumble with all the races I've done this year but funnily enough I'm really missing just getting outside/ the country lanes etc, happy to admit I took that side of things for granted.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - nice to see those targets, they will motivate you over the next year.

Macca - I guess that even your body has limits. I've been hitting the heavier weights for my knees (and to try to keep me running in my old age).
  • Options
    Well, I ran Valencia in the end.  I did a test run on Sat of 5m with 3 steady and whilst not right, felt like something I could maintain without serious damage and the course gave plenty of opportunity to step off and head back to the start.  It was a bizarre experience.  I was in the sub 2:50 pen, (couldn't see how to move back) and started at the back.  Everyone shot off and bar a couple of guided runners I had the course to myself.  The next wave was starting 10mins later so for about 5 miles I just had the blue line to remind me the route and the occasional group of spectators.  Anyway, bar the pace groups going past, it was pretty quiet until around 20 miles.  Whilst the knee didn't feel quite right (better than in New York) there was no pain so I kept a steady pace and made it round in 3:20 and no damage done.  Probably not accelerated recovery but not significantly put it back.  Without the pre booked flights I would have sacked it off but for 3 days in the Sun, I'm glad I went.  It's a flat course and conditions were near perfect but for me, taking into account logistics, sleeping in own bed etc, I think it's no faster than London.  That said, I think I need to go back, you can't beat shakeout runs in the Sun beside the beach.

Thats probably 2023 put to bed ?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - I tracked your result, didn't know you'd had such a bizarre experience in such a busy race. Hope you're on the mend now.

I went to the old faithful Goodwood last Sunday with an improved knee and kinder winds than normal. Although torrential rain made it a splashy affair on a flooded track. Built into it, felt ok, pushed on and ran a progressive 1.22.12, there's a 1.21 or quicker to be had with a bit of quality work and a faster start. Havnt been there in a while.
  • Options
    That’s a very tidy half in sploshy conditions TR.  Agreed, if you were pushing from the off on a decent course/conditions, some more to come off, a good place to end the year on.  

The whole trip was mostly flat but there were a few positive takeaways, Spanish wine is much cheaper in Spain, the Sun, oranges, I’m recovering, I didn’t crash the hire car despite the steering wheel being in the wrong place, I get to do this sort of stuff and it’s stoked the fire to get back to full fitness.  Actually, on reflection, it was a very good trip.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I've ended the year in a better place than most of the year, whereas you've had a cracking year but dipped at the end but you're on the mend now........took my knee a while, I'm on the heavyish weights now, which should help me going forward (for various reasons).
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Haven't been on here for ages, is there a new thread?
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Not sure there is Steve.
    Few of us on the SG thread &/or the Sub-3 thread.
    I’ve been injured & ill so less motivated this winter though I have a place for Newport marathon end of next month.
    Are you doing a Spring marathon?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've been injured too so had to pull out of my marathon. :(