Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    Then literally a minute after saying just ticking over is your humble aim at your age, saying you're aiming to shatter your own record at a race, that'd require something like a 17.40 5k, which is probably top 5 or so in the V60 rankings?
    Nah, it would only be a top 10 SG. Piece of cake for somebody with a VO2Max of 84 surely......

Ric - just out of curiosity, are you on the shorter size, height wise?

Saw my week out with a 9m / 5m double on Friday, and an MLR on Saturday. 9m included 4m steady (6:50), 2m ~cMP (6:16). The 5m was easy. Saturday was 12m also nice and relaxed. Gave me 77m for the week which is my highest for 18 weeks. ~15m of longer dog walks on top of that as well, so good time on feet.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Strong mileage that, TT.

Have put a couple of > 60s in back to back.

Got a 14miler off at 7.16 last weekend which was the fastest long run for a long time, hilly route too, out to Holtspur, Beaconsfield, Penn, Hazlemere, huge downhill back to Wycombe late on. Would be pretty much unrunnable I think the other way, though if you did make it to 2miles, easier going from there on in!

Last Tue was based on potentially doing a 5mile race on Sunday, so was 10x0.25m on road with 5x30secs hard after.

However, made the right choice in the end, going to the Friday track sesh for a double header.

5x1km in a small pack, with 800m decent effort, then 200m hard effort in.
    Then after what felt like a forever wait, part of a relay event. Mixed ability, 4x800m each, with 800m together after.

They bodged my pair up, I think someone pulled out, meaning me, a 17xx 5k guy and a 19xx guy were paired together! When really I should have been with 25-28m sort of 5ker!

So the inevitable happened and we won by about 4 1/2mins!

Good workout between the two bits and a good social too. So glad I went, as that's it until 2024 now, which is 6 weeks until the next one!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13 yesterday, in freezing weather. Layers, tights, gloves, and never really warmed up.
    7.27 felt plenty.

Slight jip from hamstring/glute on one side at the moment. Will up the stretching as hopefully just the classic something is tight in the chain job, that I imagine anyone who runs quite a lot will have every so often.

Decent work iniaitive giving 50% off "health and wellbeing" stuff, up to £500 over a year.
    All the running stuff qualities, memberships, clothes, races etc, so am looking forrward to a year of half priced racing.

Got some Vapors for £60 too :)  Or £53 if quidco works!
  • Options
    Decent price that one! Holding off for the time being for any more for me, apart from the Dragons.

Great weekend, day off Friday, down to bright & breezy LFOTM. Thought i'd attack the first uphill bit to the loop for a change - there was a northerly wind but still managed to keep it at 3.11. So around the rectangle for the first time, through 2k in 6.25, so on 16.00 pace, just. so onto the lap for the 2nd time, 3rd K done in 3.11so just under the magic 16.00. the 4th k along the top was done in 3.15, so 12.51 and just over 16 pace again. 

So knowing the bottom of the rectangle and the drop back down the lap wold be wind favourable, I tried to bust a gut to get under 16, but got 16.01 official time. Well happy, V50 course record too apparently. Finished just behind 2 guys who were 40 seconds ahead of me at the last Surrey League XC.

Few beers after, up early for a 5 miler before going up to Sheffield to watch the footie. (Sheffield United were terrible..)

14.5 miles yesterday and 8 this morning - probably 5 with the kid later.
  • Options
    Good to see Ric just doubling down on the Vo2max  :D I think you've been outfoxed SG.

Happy birthday Ric. 

That's a big week TT, hope you can back it up now and not push it too much.

Excellent stuff that SC, agonisingly shy of 15:59.

22 miles for me last week, I had planned 4 runs of 10k but due to seeing the Prodigy in Birmingham, and feeling a big rough Friday, it became three runs. Replaced the 2 x 6 milers with a 10 miler. I felt really easy on it and pace came out faster than intended at 7:17. I did have a bit of a sore hamstring the day after but not the one I tore most recently! It's not too bad though and may have had more to do with the deadlifts in the morning before the run than an easy run itself.

Time to up the training now as we move to December. I'll hopefully be up to max mileage of about 40 mpw by Christmas. Supplementing that with cycling, rowing and weights. No races planned yet, I'll wait until I've got 4-6 weeks of reasonable mileage done. When I do get to it, I am thinking 5k and 10k. Also planning on doing a Hyrox fitness race. I just tried shifting the 150kg sled which you have to push for 50 metres. I can move it, just, but could do with a bit more weight behind me! I have 6 months to turn a runners arms into something more substantial. It won't be easy.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    TippTop said:
    Stevie G said:
    Then literally a minute after saying just ticking over is your humble aim at your age, saying you're aiming to shatter your own record at a race, that'd require something like a 17.40 5k, which is probably top 5 or so in the V60 rankings?
    Nah, it would only be a top 10 SG. Piece of cake for somebody with a VO2Max of 84 surely......

Ric - just out of curiosity, are you on the shorter size, height wise?

Saw my week out with a 9m / 5m double on Friday, and an MLR on Saturday. 9m included 4m steady (6:50), 2m ~cMP (6:16). The 5m was easy. Saturday was 12m also nice and relaxed. Gave me 77m for the week which is my highest for 18 weeks. ~15m of longer dog walks on top of that as well, so good time on feet.
    TT, (Re: SG) from the 24th: You crack me up big man, but it was a good read back 
    Cheers SG, but big! A towering 5' 4" no more. 

SG, be careful now. You've avoided the big showstopper for quite a while now. 
    Reg, cheers. Getting there. In three years and eight months I can draw on my state pension. 

Sprint training up the hill again yesterday. Operating on feel. Main aspect being not to bust anything.

Improvement all round from the previous session. Softer ground, less favourable wind direction, rained the whole time. But faster, longer reps and recovery between, shorter. 

🙂

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Cheers Reg. Trying to adopt a flexible approach to manage fibro, so only doing sessions when I feel it's a good idea, rather than a fixed day of the week. Hopefully it'll eventually mean bigger sessions, even if sparsely spaced.
    Good news on your running, and interesting challenge with the sled!!

SC - cracking 5km time! Well run.

Ric - the height explains a bit.
    Why did you edit your post to remove your stats though? Irrespective, to correct a misunderstanding you seemed to have, you 'can't' claim your cycling time as directly equivalent to running, even at 9m/m. I'm sure Reg will correct me if I'm wrong, but the general assertion is 1 mile of running is equal to between 3 and 4 miles of cycling, which puts your equivalent running distance at about 9-14m per week (if I remember the figures correctly), not the claimed 100m. Just fyi.

SG - good work with the back to back 60+, and sounds like a solid track session. Careful with that hammy/glute.

Yesterday was supposed to be a solid block of steady (cMP + 30-40s) running, but I just didn't feel right all day - bit of a post covid hangover feeling, so settled for 10 as 2 very easy, 5 steady, 3 easy. 
  • Options
    TT - I'd say cycling indoors is much closer to running in terms of time. If I were running 8 hours a week, I got injured and I wanted to replicate the cardio effort with cycling I reckon I could do that in the same time with enough intensity. If your HR is the same then you're getting the same cardio benefit I assume. The running specific elements are going to be missing however much cycling you do.

Indoor cycling would probably produce 3 times the miles as running for the same average heart rate and that's a better comparison as outdoor cycling can vary a lot with the terrain and type of bike, but it would be more so your 3-4 times is probably about right.

Got to the gym this morning and realised I had an early meeting so quickly had to abandon it! 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Reg - interesting! So what's the logic for the usual 3-4 miles of cycling per 1m of running then - is it literally a time equivalence or is there some accounting for lack of impact in there in a kind of balancing out manner?
    Part of the reason I stopped at 9m this am was because I couldn't remember if I had a meeting or not! Lol. I've been setting up a coaching venture and spending time getting that going, so possibly been burning the candle at too many ends as I was drawing a blank on which day of the week it was!

Ric - belatedly, as I missed it when I posted yesterday, happy birthday. The ops don't sound pleasant, but better than the alternative I'm sure.

9m very easy this morning. Proper cold and I was under-dressed so not the most mechanically comfortable of runs as I stiffened up.
  • Options
    I don't think cycling extra will account for the impact, there are elements of running that cycling just won't help with. I've seen pro cyclists like Alex Dowsett try running after a long pro career and he's distinctly average at running. 

It's probably just a rough translation of how much faster a bike is than a runner and also that cycling is easier so you probably need to add on a bit for that too. You never freewheel down a hill running!

I've managed to make my legs pretty sore form the gym yesterday. Even my glutes are sore which is a great sign and one side in particular appears to be quite weak.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the , erm sore arse then Reg.
    Well done on the bday Ric
    Well done on the always pro sounding broken down run there TT!

Turned down an invitiation to a local club's evening sesh tonight, as I fancied my first time on the track of a morning in a long time.

Fancied the Moz classic of 4x200m, 4m MP, 4x200m, albeit 6400m for the middle bit rather than strubbornly throwing in the extra 8seconds or whatever the metrage is for the full 4miles!

90secs between every bit.

200ms all 37 bar one 38, which was on the first set. That pace felt decent enough, without pushing the left sided tightness.

16 laps at Moz MP sort of effort decent, as much a mental game as pace game. Windy, bleak, lonely, but after painstakingly working out the maths, I believe it was around 6.12 sort of average.

8.5miles worth all in, ticked off the need for a sesh nicely.

One of my vapors is utterly eaten to the foam underneath. As is sod's law, this was 100% fine on the road/trail wu, totally fine on the actual session, but I managed to skid on my own path metres from home when getting home :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    On another note, I was leaning on my work armrest, and thought that felt slightly different.
    Looked down have a swollen elbow of all things! 1Min of internet research and seems to be bursitis?

Anyone had that? Elbow wise?
    Looks like an ice and don't lean home fix, hopefully. No pain or anything, just a wobbly sac on the elbow :o 
  • Options
    My dad had that SG - Should just go down on it's own, it's only really the older folk who can't get rid of the infection that need a some proper drugs in hospital

Like my dad ;)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    TippTop said:
    Cheers Reg. Trying to adopt a flexible approach to manage fibro, so only doing sessions when I feel it's a good idea, rather than a fixed day of the week. Hopefully it'll eventually mean bigger sessions, even if sparsely spaced.
    Good news on your running, and interesting challenge with the sled!!

SC - cracking 5km time! Well run.

Why did you edit your post to remove your stats though? Irrespective, to correct a misunderstanding you seemed to have, you 'can't' claim your cycling time as directly equivalent to running, even at 9m/m. I'm sure Reg will correct me if I'm wrong, but the general assertion is 1 mile of running is equal to between 3 and 4 miles of cycling, which puts your equivalent running distance at about 9-14m per week (if I remember the figures correctly), not the claimed 100m. Just fyi.

SG - good work with the back to back 60+, and sounds like a solid track session. Careful with that hammy/glute.

Yesterday was supposed to be a solid block of steady (cMP + 30-40s) running, but I just didn't feel right all day - bit of a post covid hangover feeling, so settled for 10 as 2 very easy, 5 steady, 3 easy. 
    TT, I edit posts as I feel appropriate. 

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    TippTop said:

I'm not going to dignify this paragraph with a response.

🙂

• Options
    Reg - I guess the likes of the Brownlees are a bit of an anomaly, but then they've always run. I'm sure I saw somewhere recently that Steve Ovett's son who's a pro cyclist ran some pretty decent races. Genes go a long way I guess.

Ric - that's ok; I'd expected as much.

SG - I've had that after banging myself up renovating a previous house. As SC said, it'll go down on its own.

Bit fresh out this morning, but got a few miles in with some steady and pickups, ahead of hopefully a track session of some sorts tonight if it doesn't get iced off (our track seems to ice over pretty easily).
    I also got back in the gym last night. Little bit of everything plus restarted my hip/back mobility work. I just need to make it a regular occurrence now.
  • Options
    Does that not count as a response?

My wife and I entered Hyrox London in May, yesterday. It's 8 fitness stations with a 1km run to start and 1km between each one, all held indoors. There's three mostly cardio stations that won't be too taxing; skierg (1km), Rowing erg (1km), and burpee broad jumps, but then there's some strength elements. Sled push, sled pull, farmers carry, weighted lunges and wall balls. I was going to enter the normal men's event but because my wife and the men's PRO are both on the same day, I have entered the PRO wave to save money and making two trips! Sled is 200kg instead of 150kg for example. 

On the Facebook page there were a couple of guys saying they'd also had to enter the PRO due to the normal one selling out and they were going to struggle because they were only 13 stone  :D. I was 11 stone earlier this year! I have gone to 12 stone but that's another stone to find in 6 months to get to the point where others are supposedly going to struggle at  :o 

I went to try the farmers carry in the gym this morning which requires 32kg kettlebells and the heaviest they had were 24kg. What have I let myself in for.

Easy run last night as my legs are still destroyed from the gym.
  • Options
    TT - I'd agree, genes are a big part of it. People that have never run have probably never run for a reason.
  • Options
    You see what happens when cycling gets involved ;) Tbf - they are runners' brothers in the war against idiot drivers etc etc...

Reg - Someone I follow on facebook, a vet runner did that latest HYROX event. Nearly got in the V40 team for Nice?

Anyway, classic 8 x 800 at Luton last night after getting there late. 2.33 slowly down to 2.30 and 2.26 for the last one.
  • Options
    Early 3/4 session pre work - 10 x 400 round the park paths. 80 secs each as had to be careful for the slippy leaves on the floor. 60 secs recovery.
  • Options
    What sort of a park has a floor?
  • Options
    Jesus Reg. You're going to have your work cut out there by the sounds of it; a 200kg sled!! Next step American football?
    Tbf some people have never run because the idea has never occurred to them. The sport does have a generous number of cases of 'fat to fit'. Though even then that's just a combination of genes and circumstances, but the circumstances are a very important of the equation.

SC - fair play in those temps.

Followed up yesterday morning's mini session with another small bit of quicker running at track. 5km in 18:22. Kinda felt my way through the gears to see where I am. First 4 laps @ 91s (theoretical current HMP), next 4 @ 90s, but then all of a sudden felt really good, so strode out and covered the last 4.5 @ 84s/lap. I'm definitely starting to feel stronger.
  • Options
    TT - That's pretty good after a break!!

Reg  - well leaves on the path then? What wrong with on the floor? LOL
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You know it's a dull place on the thread when people are arguing about the use of the word "floor" on a report :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Day off today, as had to get a warning light sorted on the car. Been booked in a month, and very handily (not) over in Marlow.
    It really was an arse when they moved Ford from Wycombe as that couldn't have been closer.

Rehashed the sesh from the track from a month or so back.
    12 reps of 90secs effort, starting with 75secs recovery, reducing by 5secs each rep.

Freezing cold, mostly on hard and uneven grass, windy one direction. Layered up, gloves etc.
    To say it wasn't the stuff of dreams is an understatement. Especially knowing I had to get over to Marlow for the car soon after.

Like I've said before, the only slight issue with these 30-90sec type reps, is you don't have enough differentiation on the garmin measuring.

So I either got 0.25m (for most) or a couple as 0.24m, meaning a 6.00 or 6.15 average pace, as it takes the rounded number, rather than say 0.245m through to 02.54m counting as 0.25m, and thus more variance in the pace.

However, steady sort of efforts
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Naively thought it'd be a drop the car off, hang about maybe an hour at the shops, then all sorted and drive back.

Foolish!
    An exceptionally world weary guy told me it's Friday, the booking is until 6pm, it might not even get done until next week, ordering a part could be longer etc.
    Frig me, cheer up, talk about managing expectations with the worst case scenario!

Or it could be it's an erroneous light that needs something tightened, or dust blown away!!

But anyway, wandered to the bus stop. Apparently one 30mins before didn't turn up, and the latest one didn't either.
    Faced with another 30min wait, I thought i'd walk the "quick" way home.

Basically 5miler, up a hill, woods and back, nice.

Might have to do the same back later though, probably jogging most of it. As long as it's pre dark. Dark in woods and narrow lanes does not sound fun otherwise.
  • Options
    Yes been a bit quiet on here. 

Good for getting the session done, didn't sound ideal - likewise the car shenanigans!

Just a 5k this morning, then trying to avoid exposure watching the next Chiltern League xc at Stopsley, Luton. Side of a hill 200m ASL.

Then family trip to London for the Masters 5k Battersea Pk Sunday morning.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    You know it's a dull place on the thread when people are arguing about the use of the word "floor" on a report :D 
    I mean there's no argument to have is there  :D 

That car fix could turn into quite a session SG!

Easy 10k run yesterday and a brick session with a difference today. 5k steady row in 19:36 then warm up sled pushes followed by 1k, 750m, 500m & 250m rows at about 1:46 per 500m pace with each followed by 40m of sled pushes. Straight through session with no real rest other than a few breath gathering moments. 2.5k cool down on the erg. On my knees after the sled pushes and that's with only about 100kg.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Having googled the definition of floor to make sure, no, you're right :D 

Mixing in the other sports no doubt henches you up and gives you more strength for when the next big run block kicks in.

A long saga today. Funnily enough after I rang at 3.45pm to ask what's up, they rang about 30mins later and had the answer. If only they'd done that in 5mins at the start of the day.
    Especially as the conclusion was take the car away now, they need a part, and to arrange with the leasing co etc etc,

Big dibs to Phil who was on hand to lift me there with short notice, and thus mean I didn't have to do some painstaking dark woody run, or just as bad, early morning run there on the sacred rest day :)
    But might have to go through all this again in a few weeks :D 
  • Options
    SC - ASL ?? Good luck for the 5km.

SG - pain with the car! Decent session. As long as the effort was right then the pace rounding is irrelevant.

Reg - I think you should be selling tickets for your training for this! Fair play though; that sounds pretty brutal. And a big departure from running!

That's my running done for the week. 12m yesterday with 45mins steady (6:46) and a 4m jog later, before 12m brisk this morning (7:05) which puts me on 81m for the week. 3 runs in double digits this week, compared to one last week, so progress.