Options

1000 miles in 2024

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Some hills for me, did 1.2 warm up before meeting a mate to do the hill at the end of my road, she was late so I set off, really tough after Tuesday's race. Then she came along 5 efforts in! Did another 6 , then cool down to get to 4 miles
    33 ytd
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Hey TT, I’m from Melbourne. Welcome aboard. It’s a great challenge and everyone is very supportive on here.

I felt a bit bad after complaining about my run the other day given the conditions that a lot of you are enduring at the moment. 

Another 3.5 miles to log after a faster run to work yesterday. 

YTD - 35 miles.
  • Options
    Hello Big George Chamolk !

Jack you don't know how jealous I am that you must have good weather as apposed to the bitter cold we have here ! 

In saying that I'm 100% that running is improved for me in cold weather as Wabo said. It's like all the summer training just bubbles to the top when the cold snaps and HR goes down and pace goes up - loving running at the moment.

Few sessions down but a 14 mile progression yesterday where pace increased every 2 miles until marathon pace hit for final 6 miles. As per above had a great session and my MP section didn't even hit my MP HR so looking good currently

YTD 76m / 122km
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Much nicer running conditions this morning, makes a change 😳.

Just the 10 to add this morning was planning longer but legs didn’t feel up to it.

55 miles YTD.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Hello Big George and chamolk, welcome.

Spikey balls for me too! Especially the feet and shoulders. 

Out this morning, before and after the PT session. Seems to work for me spliting the run. I have a chest light, white at front, red at back. Works wonders.

I did wonder Jack! Really liked Melbourne, much better than Sydney (am I allowed to say that???)

Dangerous Hamster that's a good run.

YTD: 33.47
  • Options
    Ran 3.02 miles on Tuesday and nothing since, been laid low with a chest infection. Off to see the doctor tomorrow morning, yes I know it’s Sunday but our surgeries are open 7 days a week!

YTD 44.72 miles

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the generous welcome.

Hobie, I’d never heard of the 4x4x48 but looked it up. It looks tough. 

A little 3.5 miles for me today. Ankle was throbbing a little by the end but I don’t think I’ve done any further damage. Lovely to be out running, though; cold and clear. 

YTD 14.6
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Dubai hope you get help
    I'm up to 40 so far! 
  • Options
    Big George, yeah 4x4x48 is a bit fruity...more of a mental challenge than physical...it's still 50 miles in 2 days but getting out to run at 4 on a Sunday morning is interesting. 
    I did our parkrun today...helped pace a newish runner who wanted a 30 minute 5k...I lied to her....got her a 27:32.
    48 miles YTD 
    4,580 ft elevation 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    DR that does not sound good. Hopefully all will be sorted.

4*4*24 sounds horrible! Greatest respect to people who do it.

TM too icy and cold! It was lovely to look at through the gym window.

YTD: 40.41
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    New faces, excellent. Welcome chamolk and Big George!
    Dubai, I got a chest cold before Christmas - it completely bypassed the sore throat stage and started with coughing before progressing to a runny nose (wasn't covid, I did test). Hopefully yours is just that. I'm pretty much recovered now.
    Hobie I've heard of that, is that a Dave Goggins thing? 

I did a 7 miler on Thursday with a little bit of speed thrown in, then off to Seaford today for my 250th parkrun. Trains were dodgy so it was a bit of a close call and I didn't have time for a proper warm-up, but I managed 27:26 which is heading in the right direction. Fastest parkrun I've done since being injured last year so hopefully I can build on it.

YTD: 48
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 250, Cal! And a pleasing run!

Under the weather here so my debut in my new age group was put on hold. Just a short, easy run which actually wasn't easy.

YTD: 49
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

Few runs this week and have started to add in a bit of tempo work again and then some strides today. 

Hope you get over it soon DR. I got a chest infection of some sort at the start of last July that meant I couldn't run for 6 weeks and then was slow getting fitness back which meant I wasn't able to do my two autumn marathons.

YTD 44 miles
  • Options
    Great to see some new joiners, welcome too from me.

JackFW,

This is how some of them have progressed - (have used initials to identify them  - GDPR and all that.  November times in brackets.

Name         1km                                   1 mile

HKS            5:18     (5:47)                    9:09   (11:11)
    JKF              6:10    (6:36)                     10:10  (12:03)
    KKT             6:15     (7:23)                    11:15  (15:09)
    MC              4:05     (4:18)                     6:07   (6:53)
    SJ                 6:11    (6:57)                     10:10  (11:59)

KKT was and still is the slowest but has made the best progress - partly because she has got her attitude right to push herself.

My runs since last posting are:

06/01 - 8.74
    07/01 - 11.13
    09/01 - 8.75
    11/01 - 8.75
    13/01 - 8.74

(46.11)

YTD = 60.99 miles

Tomorrow the newbies are going to see how far they can run in 2 hours on a route that is 500m uphill, 140m downhill and 500m flat (laps of 0.71 miles).

I use this to fine tune my pacing by running laps based on my expected pace per km on flat - this gives me the strength training PLUS forcing an extra 11.4% of effort.

Todays parkrun splits were more even than in the past, so am happy.  I hope to win the Accelerator Race again in the Summer.  This is where each successive km is faster than the last one - slowest must not be more than 10 mins and you keep going until your km time is slower than the last km. Will try and persuade it to be run on the course described above.
  • Options
    Cal, sorry, forgot to congratulate you on your 250th parkrun.

Let me know next time you are going to do one of my local ones and bring a sleeping bag - to wait for me to finish.
  • Options
    Well I’ve avoided it for four years but a trip to the doctors confirms I have covid, hopefully I’ll be running soon but at the minute I’m knackered. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, DR! Take it very easy; I think that I overdid things when I had COVID as I didn't feel too bad. However it took me a good six months to be back to where I was pre illness.

Going well, Harmander (and team!). 

7k or so today, so...

YTD 53.5 miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Thanks alehouse, fitness is still so low (at least what I’m used to) since breaking my ankle that it shouldn’t take too long to build back up. Are you still streaking?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander. It was Barking where I met you. Where else do you run? I've done all the London parkruns so I don't tend to repeat the ones that take any effort to get to, but on the other hand, it's getting increasingly time consuming and expensive to go to ones I've not done outside London so I can't do that every week.

Dubai, hope it's not too severe. Rest up.

Over 50, alehouse, well done.

14 miles today. Cold but not as cold as it's going to get so I made myself do 14 miles as I might not get much running in next week. Now feel like I've been run over by a truck. On the plus side, I saw a kingfisher for the first time, which made me very happy.

YTD: 62
  • Options
    Hey Harmander, like the sound of that hilly session. 
    Cal, well done on 250 parkruns....awesome...I love the landmarks bit of run directing...always good to see what people are doing.
    Back onto the coast path for me 8 and a bit miles and some hills.
    I've entered Man v Horse and The Preseli Beast so hills will be needed.
    57 miles YTD 
    5,862 ft elevation 
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    I did the same Cal - went longer today as it's due to snow and freeze here too for the next few days

DR - hopefully won't be too bad for you. I've had plenty of colds etc that kept me off running for longer than covid did 

Junior parkrun this morning then 90mins this evening

YTD 55.6
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Chamolk, decent long run today!

DR, I've just passed day 900. 

Wonder how Donnie is going on.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Im still here and it's really cheered me up that someone is asking after me.

Firstly, still loving the thread, it's genuinely great seeing how everyone is getting on. 

I'm still on 0! I've had another trip to the osteopath but progress is, at best, very minimal.

This isn't a great sign. I entered the Manchester marathon (15th April 24) as soon as the email landed after the 2023 event, I've just googled the t&cs regarding deferment.

The official diagnosis is piriformis syndrome.

Alehouse suggested stretching the sole of my foot by standing on a ball. The only one in the house is a cricket ball, perhaps not the best choice. It's probably a bit to hard and the seam doesn't help. Foam roller doing it's best and youtube offers a variety of stretches. 

Collected tokens at parkrun yesterday. Already on the volunteer rota for next week which is a give away towards my immediate prospects. 

Internet suggests anything from a few days to 6 weeks rest might be required. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie, I use a hockey ball (I was a PE teacher for 5 years so I pinched one). It's hard but smooth. The real masochists use golf balls.
    Hobie - I'd like to do Man vs Horse but someone will have to lend me a horse. 😆
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, Donnie. Keep your chin up mate. Hopefully it isn’t that serious and you will back bigger and better in a few weeks. 

TT, of course you can say that! I tend to agree but I’m obviously biased.There is a good natured friendly rivalry between the cities. 

DR, rest up mate. I was back running two weeks after my first dose and one week after my second dose of Covid. So hopefully it won’t be too long. Everyone is different.

H, your running pupils are making great progress. You must be proud. Keep us updated. 

Cal, congrats on 250. I’m still at 1 and a long way behind you. 

There is so much going on here, apologies if I have missed a few.

I completed my first trail run (official race) on Sunday, a day after my 40th birthday. It was 27.5km (elevation gain 850m) through undulating trail from Dromana to Cape Schanck (Two Bays Event) on the Mornington Peninsula and which takes you from Port Phillip Bay to Western Port being the two bays. I had to downgrade from the 56km in December as I didn’t get enough training in, but I loved every moment of it nonetheless. The trail was very varied, taking in a big hill, gravel track, some limited pavement, through a narrow forrest dirt path full of rocks and roots and then a coastal trail to finish it off. A very well organised event with friendly volunteers, supportive runners and awesome spectators. 

YTD - 52m
  • Options
    Cal, I done 282 at Barking and 151 at Valentines - am going to carry on doing Valentines till mid March after which I go back to Barking - so will reach 300 at Barking (and 300th volunteering) on my (65th) birthday in July - yes I am a bit nerdy like that but it keeps me focussed.

Was planning to run my 300th Half marathon at London Landmarks on 7 April but going to volunteer there instead - taking the place of my late daughter who always volunteered there,  Am dropping down to the half marathon at Luxembourg to make it my 300th.

Hobie, I love it too - been doing it for at least 25 years.

Get well soon Donnie.

9.21 miles of hills (while assisting those needing support.

YTD = 70.20 miles
  • Options
    Just catching up - Dubai, I have managed 19 marathons since I had it.  keep the faith.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Oh gosh I can't catch up!! 
    Harmander I need to come along to Barking or valentine's, I've done them both. In fact barking 5k is where I did my fastest ever 5k donkeys years ago
    Donnie good on you for volunteering! Hope you get relief soon
    YTD 50
  • Options
    Wabo, look forward to meeting up, let me know which and when in advance please.

I pace at Barking but just do Valentines - my daughter used to run or mainly volunteer at Valentines and also Barking Junior parkrun.  'Er Indoors is on 262 at Valentines
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Nice one harmander, will do. Won't be the next few weeks. Off to Cornwall Saturday, we'll be doing lanhydrock I reckon