Options

Letting off steam..

Just need to have a quick rant...sorry!

Just been out for my usual lunchtime 3 miler with a colleague. We picked up the pace a little today and it was going really well until we hit the main road on the way back to work. There we passed an overweight man who said "yeah, you need to work off that fat" to us both!!!

I am sooooo cross!! And quite upset, as I know I'm not Kate Moss but at a size 12-14 I don't think I'm fat. He, on the other hand, had quite a big beer belly.

What gave him the right to make such an offensive comment?!!

Running is hard enough work as it is. Today was my first run since a disastrous (and upsetting) Bath half on sunday and I'm really p***** off.

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    I'd have given as good as you got. He has no right at all!
  • Options
    CC - he probably though he was being funny - in that 'You' don't need to lose the weight, whereas 'he' does.

Chilll !
  • Options
    Stop moaning, fatso!

;-)

Cougie's probably right - if anything it meant you looked slim and athletic to him.
  • Options
    lol @ swerve even though I really shouldn't!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    That was my reaction too, C-C.

:o)

If you see him again, smile and invite him to join you - in a nice way.
  • Options
    Or if you can't think of a nice witty reply then "**** off, you fat ******" will suffice.
  • Options
    Please don't let comments like that upset you (I mean the fat blokes, not Swerve's, give him a mouthful of abuse by all means).

As for Bath, everbody has bad runs and sometimes it's hard to find an explanation. The best thing to do is target another race soon and put all your training to good use.

When I ran a marathon I missed my goal time by almost an hour, was really gutted at the time but now I feel proud that I managed to get round at all (and I really wish that I had tried for another one a few months later).
  • Options
    I can sort them out for you. The Tall clan have their ways.
  • Options
    I agree with Cougie - he was probably being ironic.

Surely it would have been really offensive if it had come from a size 8 woman? (or a thin man)?
  • Options
    Sticks and stones CC.
  • Options
    I was did the westminster bridge to tower bridge run on tuesday lunchtime, and I passed two girls running.

As I passed them I heard one say under her breath to the other: "flash git". I turned round and cheerily said "sorry"!! They just burst out laughing!
  • Options
    Give it back Coco if it makes you feel better, dosen't have to be witty, Sitting Bull suggested the standard classic.

C'mon you must get this all the time.
  • Options
    Have you ever heard of a mental defence mechanism called "projection"?

This is when a person can't face an unpalatable truth about themselves. Then they go around accusing other people, unjustly, of the same failing, seeing it in everyone around them.

This was a classic case, if you ask me. More to be pitied than condemned.
  • Options
    Cougie, Blackers and co are no doubt correct but this can be a really irritating and upsetting aspect of running in populated areas and I can well understand how p!ssed off you are. I'm sorry to say (well no, I'm not actually) that I would have shouted something back at him; I usually do in such situations. I don't care if they're being "ironic", it's still rude and uncalled for.
  • Options
    It was clearly a joke.
  • Options
    Maybe Cougs but an ill-judged one and when you are out running, perhaps feeling vulnerable, I can see how it could offend.

Am I starting to sound a bit girlie?
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    I honestly didn't think he was being ironic. If he'd said it jokingly then I would have just laughed, but his tone of voice was quite offensive.

I do get comments quite a bit...the same as the rest of you but they . It just p***** me off today!

The woman I was running with said afterwards that she wished she'd said "at least we can do something about the fat, you can't do anything about your face"....

Can never think of suitable retorts at the time though!
  • Options
    Hmmm ... treading on dangerous ground here!

If it was aimed at a bloke, no doubt it'd be laughed off, and probably rightly seen as a joke.

But aimed at a lady ... well, women's paranoia about their body shape ("Body dysphoria"?) is well-documented, so what was in fact intended as a compliment is perceived as a bone-headed insult.

I'll probabply get hand-bagged for that!
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    oops...just got a phonecall in the middle of amending the previous post and forgot to finish it.

Should read: 'I do get comments quite a bit..the same as the rest of you but they tend to be more amusing than this one'

Dr Nic is right about feeling a bit vulnerable. I run in Mile End and up to Victoria Park, where Margaret Muller was murdered. I'm fortunate in that I'm usually able to run with someone (like today) but you still don't feel completely secure knowing that they still haven't caught the guy who did it.
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Bryan, I'm quite a normal and sensible person and I'm not paranoid about my body shape. I'm actually very accepting of what I'm like, but I also work in the area of personal development and I can assure you that the guy's tone of voice was NOT joking nor complimentary!

He was just an a******* and I just wanted to let off steam about it. That's all.

If you run in this part of London, you'll recognise the guy who said it cos he's got no legs now.....(just joking)
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I don't see what the problem is. It wasn't particularly funny (taken out of context), but hardly "offensive".
  • Options
    Take your word for it Coco.

He's obviously someone then looking to put others down to feel better about himself.

Try not to let it get to you (easier said than done!)
  • Options
    well coco - the mood that i am in today (my grandad died on monday) i would have told him where to go in no uncertain terms!
  • Options
    Coco,
    Sympathise with you ladies on this one, my wife gets stick quite a bit.

Blokes get it rarely but when I lived in Brixton till about a year ago, used to get comments from the hookers down Brixton Hill all the time. Doh, I'm running love........
  • Options
    No matter where you run, there will always be a beer-swilling, chain-smoking, junk-food guzzling 'comedian' willing to demonstrate their rapier wit.
    I didn't think the comment was that offensive to be honest, but if it's any consolation you can always feel smug in the knowledge that in 5-10 years time you will be fit and he will probably have been carted of to the morgue by a large team of sherpas, that always brings a smile to my face (welcome to the dark world of the Gorilla!!)
  • Options
    I often get heckled by morons with bellies the size of space hoppers to the tune off:

'You'll have a f**kin heart attack you stupid ponce!'

... yeah , they wish.

• Options
    oh co-co btw, still need those HRM details (i clean forgot about that.)
  • Options
    I've been mooned at by teenagers who thought it was hilarious. Nob Jockeys! And I did tell a man that was following me in the icecream van to cuff off. Is that bad of me?
  • Options
    Wicked! (in the good sense.)

It would howver, have been drastic to whip the uzi out of the back of your ron-hills and spray the van with bullets.