Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    Dundee 10 miler is a bit of a slog. No medal but you do get a long sleeve T-shirt and great cakes afterwards. It's more of a challenge due to the hills than many half marathons. Some guy came by me pushing a baby jogger last year, how sick did I feel at that point!

I skipped Glen Clova last year to do a local cross country race at Haddo House. I think I'll do the same again if they clash this year.

What's Bennachie? Is that a hill race? If so then count me out!

PPB
  • Options
    Hi PPB

Yes, Bennachie entirely a hill race! Eight miles/1150ft of climb, but beautiful course. Details on Garioch RRs' site: www.gariochrr.freeuk.com

Judging by last year's dates, Glen Clova shouldn't clash with either the MTM or Round the Castles x-c series. But probably best wait and see...

I remember the guy with a baby jogger at last year's Dundee 10 - yes, that was a bit dispiriting, wasn't it?!

It's vile here on the Buchan coast tonight - blowing a gale and pouring down. Hope the wind subsides by Sunday at least...

• Options
    SV,

Forfar Road Runners are organising the run

http://www.forfarroadrunners.com/clova_1_2.htm will get you to the page where you can get an entry form.

I was going to run but my daughter's birthday is on 13th so it will be out for a family meal I guess - my suggestion of the Clova Hotel didn't go down too well!!!
  • Options
    MM ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Thinking of going along to the Meadows in Edinburgh on Tuesday nights to join in the speed sessions. Does anyone go to these? What are they like?
  • Options
    Don't know never been but I would be interested as well. Run there a lot any way and it is always heaving with runners..most of them passing me hence the need for speed sessions !!
  • Options
    Thanks kareni.

Will go and try Greaves
  • Options
    Thanx, Big Al. Clova Hotel an excellent choice - can't imagine what their objections could possibly be!!
  • Options
    I don't run in a running club Pobel, the reason being that I probably work when people are running (evenings/weekends). I have a friend who has joined a running club though and he says it's great. He's a lot better than me though!

The running clubs around Aberdeen have good reputations - Metro, Lynx Pack etc.
  • Options
    Hi Twinklemel, yeah there seems to be a number of people on this forum from Aberdeen - me, you, Pobel, Ping Pong Boy, Jane M, Superveterana etc..... well 6 anyway, enough for a wee crowd!

Sometimes I wish I lived nearer the central belt where theres a bigger variety of races to get involved with!

Having said that you can't beat the Stonehaven half, Ythan challenge or the excellent Aberdeen 10k!
  • Options
    Yep the guys in Greaves are good.
    If you fancy an alternative/second opinion go up to the Tiso outdoor centre nr buchanan street bus station - they have a running department too and fitted me for my last pair of shoes.
  • Options
    Last Plea for Greenock Ardgowan Hospice 5km RR and 2km Fun Run.

Registration - 0930hrs onwards
    2km Fun Run - 1030hrs
    5km RR - 1100hrs

Cost on the Day:
    2km Fun Run - £2
    5km RR - £5 (SAF), £7(Non SAF)

Even more prizes announced yesterday with every entrant receiving vouchers (inc in the goody bag) for free entry to Greenock's Waterfront Complex. Plus Dozens of Spot Prizes for us mere mortals.

So why not Bring the Kids along, run the races and then head to the Waterfront for a relaxing swim.
  • Options
    Another excellent place in Glasgow for shoes is Achilles Heel in the West End which is where I get all my gear from.
  • Options
    Good luck to all those running in the Moray marathon, half and 10k tomorrow!

Look out for me, i'll be 741, somewhere near the back of the 10k field!!!

eeek!
  • Options
    Just back from Ardgowan Hospice 5K. 19.45 on my watch which I am delighted about, makes up for last weeks GSR.This running is a funny old game.

Well done to Twopies for the organisation, and a big thanks to your marshalls who braved the terrible weather. Hope the turnout was as good as you hoped.

Maybe you could ask entrants to forgo the goody bag in order that more cash can go to the charity. Iam sure most runners would not object.

Alan F
  • Options
    alister/eeyin
    brussel marathon
    maybe interested should know by next week
    what are your thoughts on this race
    ryanair flight time for sat 15.50 arrive
    regards
    ken
  • Options
    Kg - Never done it before but I know most of the couse around Brussels and it should be flat and fast. Grand Place is a great place to finish. I am on the 07:00 BMI from Edinburgh on the Saturday morning.
  • Options
    If I do Brussels, it will be 4 marathons in 4 consecutive weekends ... oh dear .... how can I resist £30 flight.

First full triathlon completed this weekend ....roll on the Ben Nevis Hill Race this coming Saturday.

Twopies ...there is a Glenparker doing the Ben Nevis, do you know him ? does he want a lift?
  • Options
    Ardgowan hospice 5k was really enjoyable (despite the weather) I agree with Alan F, would forego the goody bag and give extra cash to the hospice.

POLO past me at half way, what better incentive to pick the pace up than the possibility of being beaten by a 6 foot polar bear.

My daughter did the 2k fun run, and now can't wait for Stirling fun run on the 19th Sept, espec since the kids get medals.

Well done to everyone who took part and thanks to the organisers
  • Options
    Thanks for all those who supported the Greenock Ardgowan Hospice 5km.

245 runners took part (3 times as many as 2003)
    350 took part in the fun (300 more than 2003)

The Hospice reckon they'll make about £5000 from the event.

The goody bags came cheap and it's alway nice to get a wee reward at the end of the day.

Can get back to some real training of my own now with the Amsterdam marathon now less than 7 weeks away.

• Options
    Twopies

Had a lovely day thanks. 4 hrs travelling for 25 mins running in the rain. Thats what tis all about. Great scenic course. I'll be back next year. In all my excitment left my camera in the pavilion. any idea who I contacty to see if it's turned up ?
  • Options
    Who would be interested in an Aberdeen social? I'd be willing to co-ordinate if others are willing to come along! Friends and partners welcome for moral support. ;-)
  • Options
    Twinklemel, count me in.

Did you do the Moray 10k or Half?
  • Options
    Jane M - no! I am doing the Peterhead 10k on sunday, as that's my hometown, and am getting sponsored to buy a bit of equipment for the hospital in memory of a family friend's baby son who died a couple of months ago.

I want to do a 10 miler by the end of the year, but sunday run is only up to 8m at the moment and Dundee is November, and it sounds very hilly - can I make it? Not sure about that one!
  • Options
    Just popped in here for the fist time and would like say hello.
    I am a Scottish runner from East Lothian.
    I have run 3 Marathon and plan to run number 4 in November28, in Milan, with my mate Graham, another Scottish runner from Penicuik.

Up and coming events for me are the Ediburgh 10k, Great North Run, Oban half and the Milan Marathon. If anyone is going to these events run arounfd naked and I will know it is you :).
    Nice to be here

cheers

Jonny
  • Options
    Hi Jonny

Nice to see another body from the Edinburgh area. I see loads of folk running the streets of central Edinburgh but not sure if many of the regulars on here come from this area.
    Edinburgh 10k cracking race passes my front door but I think I'll run it in my usual black kit.
  • Options
    Twinklemel, I haven't run the Dundee 10 miler but I have heard it is hilly. The Arbroath Smokies Ladies only 10 miler held in March is a very good one to do for your first 10 miler, its ladies only, loads of lovely spot prizes and it has a very interesting hill in it!!! If you are interested get your entry in early as the limit is reached quickly every year.
  • Options
    I'm not that much of a regular on here, but I'm also from Edinburgh.

Doesn't seem to be that many of us though, judging by the couple of Edinburgh socials I've been to.

I quite like the idea of the Dundee 10 miler actually. Might be a decent dangling carrot to get me into winter training in earnest! :)
  • Options
    alister
    brussels marathon
    when do you pick up your race no and can you suggest a hotel for the above event.
    regards
    ken
  • Options
    Twinkelmel - If you can run 8 miles now then you can definitely run 10 by the Dundee 10 miler.

Dundee is a bit of a slog. I've ran 1 Hour 15 for the 10 mile point in a Half Marathon yet Dundee took me nearly 1 Hour 19 last year. My mate and I are planning on heading down (from Aberdeen) for the race.

PPB.
  • Options
    Kg,

I am staying at the Hilton which is where I stayed last time I was there.

Not sure about numbers pick up, got an email from them yesterday in French/Flemish which I could not understand although notice the website has a contacts link so if I don't here in next couple of weeks will get in touch with them. Will post on here if I get a response.