Options

Garmin Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    There are a number of options you can choose with regards to the pace smoothing so that it doesn't jump as dramatically. I expect it's to do with a loss of signal and some 'guesswork' by the unit.

Someone who knows more might be able to help you more.

Having only used mine once so far I'd hardly consider myself to be an expert.
  • Options
    Hi Garmineers - Found a new valuable use for the ForeRunner. Just back from Cardiff Half on Sunday. I hadn't a clue where the car park was relative to the finish at the Millenium Stadium, so I 'marked' my location as I left the car park and after the race, used the Garmin to 'navigate' my way back to it. In the heavy rain, I think I would have been wandering around Cardiff city centre for hours without the direction in front of me.

Thanks Eileen!
    RD
  • Options
    I ran in a 7.5 race in Diss recently and the unit 'froze' after 5 miles and the buttons were inoperable. That's twice in a month. Most annoying. When the battery ran out I recharged it and will be trying again in the GSR on Sunday. If it fails for a 3rd time I may have to contact Garmin. Has anyone else had this problem
  • Options
    Has anyone got any bad points like Nick P?

is there any alternative GPS you looked at?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    RD - What was your half Cardiff time? I saw a runner with a Garmin when I was along the bay and I thought about asking if it had a name but in case they weren't a forum type (quite likely perhaps!) I decided not to say anything. Green-ish t-shirt? Light brown hair? Is that you yesterday?
  • Options
    Hi Jen - 2:47:55 - I was the one with a handful of Kleenex tissues. Pale blue Hogweed Trotters top [ and we won't go into hair colour, as there are so many shades of grey! ]
    Good, wasn't it?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ahh, well another cousin of Percy and Eileen's enjoyed the course too then!

Thank heaven for Percy though as I didn't see any half marathon markers til 7 miles! I spent the first half with a big cheesey grin on my face cos I was having so much fun and the second half smiling through the grimace on my face as it was very hard by 10 miles. Would have helped if I knew where I was - I get disorientated and think I am further on than I am and minutes feel like hours....

Very pleased with Percy's measurements though. Especially since he apparently lost me for most of the second half (couldn't cope with my miserable face!)
  • Options
    Jen - I got completely confused with those mile markers. Mine recorded 12.95 miles for the trip so I guess the last bit through the players tunnel and around the pitch did it. I plan to upload the results this evening into tracklogs, so hopefully spot where the variation was.
    RD
  • Options
    12.95m is pretty good for the technology it's about 98-99% accurate. I got 12.85ish for the clarendon way half and a significant part of the course was under heavy tree cover so I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Percy lost me on the way into the stadium, he reckons my last 350m took me 4:48!

So not sure how that effects my other times given the measurements were spot on.... Perhaps my last 7:09 mile wasn't quite that impressive!

Looking at the yellow map in the log book, it doesn't look like he lost me as much as I thought - plenty of dots along the way! Bute Park is always a problem though.
  • Options
    Being new to the world of G-g-g-g-g-garmin I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I.

I went out for a 'faster than normal' 5-miler this morning. The start of my run is downhill all the way. However, the unit seems to have done something strange at the start of my run. For the first quarter of a mile it had me running at way below my actual pace - my legs, lungs and heart were telling me it was 7min/mile pace, whereas the forerunner (I need to name it) had my pace at 15min/mile! After that it was spot on, and it seemed to be tracking me perfectly.

When I got back and downloaded the run, it does look like there was a problem at the start. The question is, what did I do wrong?

I was outside when I switched the unit on, it got a full lock on the satellites, and then I started the timer and off I went. Should I run a little before I start the timer so that it recognises that I'm moving - or something like that? Or is it just a random event?

• Options
    danielp - I think there is sometimes gremlin behaviour at the start of runs. I now follow the advice given some time ago which was to "reset the run" just before starting the timer when you set off.
    It doesnt seem to make any sense but it does seem to prevent the sort of oddities you describe.
    RD
  • Options
    OK. So I only reset the previous run just before I start my next one?

If that does the trick, then that's what i'll do!! Thanks RD.
  • Options
    danielp - no! you can reset your run as normal after your runs.
    It's just you need to give it an extra reset, just before you start the run.
    RD
  • Options
    Oh, I'm with you now!!! Just a bit slow on the uptake.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks again!

Still need a name for it though....
  • Options
    It was me that mentioned the reset. Someone at garmin suggested it as a way of clearing the tracks if there was a large distance between switching the unit on and the start line of a race.
  • Options
    and it is such a good tip too Nick - the few discrepancies I'd had on runs have disappeared since I've started doing reset before setting off.
  • Options
    OB - Did you do Cardiff in the end?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I sometimes notice very slow starts according to Percy. I sometimes reset before setting off, but I figure the machine sorts itsself out eventually so I am not too fussed.
  • Options
    It's not too bad for longer runs, but for a shorter run it can skew my times - and I need every second and every metre on my side!!

Another question. How does it fair in crowds at the start of big races? Does this make any difference at all?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    People dont appear to make a difference.... and though I thought Percy was having problems in caridff, he was ok in the end. SOmetimes struggles when surrounded by tall houses in caerphilly.
    People are ok though! (unless they are all 10ft tall!).

Now get along and name that Garmin!
  • Options
    sorry RD - I wasn't able to in the end.

Did I see you were down for Reading?
  • Options
    OB - have you tried stapping Percy to your Weimaraners and seeing how far they run while doing the same route as you? If anything like my 2 Weims it could be interesting!

I have just got my order in for my Garmin (wife has promised me one for my birthday) so look forward to having this in time for the Beachy Head Marathon on 23rd Oct.
  • Options
    GZ - great dogs aren't they? I dread to think what the multiple is for the distance they do over me on the same route! I don't run with mine as it's not practical - do you?
  • Options
    danielp - I have had a lost signal at the queue for the start of big races - eg Windsor half, 6000 people, about 4000 seemed to be in the same square metre as me. But it picked up a signal by the time we crossed the start line 2 mins later. Never had a problem in any more local race, <1000 people usually.
  • Options
    I've not bought a GF yet but here are a few links I've found while researching:

Achieving Optimal Accuracy with the Forerunner:
    http://www.wny-ultra.org/garmin-news.htm

List of Software that has been tested with the Garmin Forerunner:
    http://runyet.com/forerunner_software.html

Forerunner undocumented features:
    http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/ForeRunner201.htm

VB prog to split the exported XML into individual runs:
    http://www.barkingdogs.com/DayBreaker/day_breaker.htm

GF signal reception:
    http://www.multisportblog.com/multisport/2004/09/gramin_forerunn.html

Hope this is useful.

Paul
  • Options
    Cheers Jen and quimby. Thought that might be the case. I was thinking about London in particular - as it's pretty crowded all the way round and then there's the problem of running between built up areas.

Paul, great list of resources. When are you getting yours?
  • Options
    TopTip Monkey - great collection of links - Thanks!

I'm not sure if the "attach Garmin to your cap" will catch on - it sort of defeats the objective!
    RD
  • Options
    You could use a complex setup of mirrors so that you can read the screen whilst it's sitting on your head.....
  • Options
    Thanks monkey. I'll have a look at those.