Options

Bestwood Country Park 10K

I am doing this for the first time.can any one tell what to expect?

Comments

• Options
    If you are at the club tomorrow I can show you!!

I've never run it as Bestwood 10K but we used to do the same course on one of the road race leagues.

Still not worked out who you are yet (though I do have an inkling), but I bet you know who I am. Several club members have said that they have read my postings on here.
  • Options
    I will not be at the club untill after the great north run.its touch and go if I will be fit for It. as to who you are I will email you.me? I have given you a clue on your other thred
  • Options
    got you.had to look at the long eaton results
  • Options
    Ran this way back in the 1980s ('87 I think -had the mug until it got dropped!!) Might try & get down for it again this year -will be much slower these days. Always enjoyed running around Bestwood (Either training or orienteering) so will bring back some memories.

• Options
    I'm now thinking of running this instead of marshalling.

As mentioned yesterday, I have never run this course as Bestwood 10K, mainly due to the fact that it used to clash with the GNR.

Been out in Bestwood tonight and I really struggled, think I might be going down with something.
  • Options
    What footwear is best suited to this course?

i.e normal racing trainers,spikes or off road trainers

Help!!
  • Options
    Peter it is mainly on forest tracks but there are a couple of tarmac covered parts so I think you can discount the spikes.

Bring two pairs of shoes and recce the course, then decide which you prefer.

BTW, I am now down as a marshall.
  • Options
    muzzy I dont thing I will be doing this as Ive just done the NR and I nealy killed me
  • Options
    I'll put you down as a marshall then.
  • Options
    Good luck to all running this on Sunday. I will be marshalling at the top of the last hill and will be sure to give you all some encouragement.
  • Options
    this is my second 10km, Coudl you give me some idea of the time of the slowest runner last year (I dont really want to come last althoguh I know someone has to!)
  • Options
    Times are normally slower than a road 10k due to the nature of the course. The field has a good mix of runners from all abilities the last five times last year were 1:12,1:15,1:17,1:20,1:34.
    Hope you have a good run.
  • Options
    And I shall be marshalling somewhere around Alexandra Lodge or whatever it is called.

Hope you all have a good run.
  • Options
    muzzy I thought you were now running this.Im hoping to marshall.see you there
  • Options
    Well, I hope all you running peeps had a good day with those little hills.

Any constructive messages, good or bad, would be welcome.

BTW, I was at the bottom of the hill just after water station below the arch. (You know, that nice little easy one called Heartbreak Hill)
  • Options
    Great day thanks - my first 10k and a difficult introduction i reckon!.
    Well organised and nice to get some encouragement on the way round - wouldn't mind another crack at it next year.
  • Options
    I agree, a superb day. Well organised and enjoyable scenery when I could breath. Also surprised myself by coming close to my pb on a difficult course.
  • Options
    enjoyed the day but it was bxxxx hard work, I have never run up hills like that before. Have done some hills on the treadmill but for next year will have to up my hill training. Have only done 2 10k before, did my first in 54 mins and this one in an hour so was a little dissapointed but I blame those hills. Nice scenery and well organised event. I was a bit worried about gettting cold waiting for the race to start but there was a nice warm building to wait in and cups of tea for sale which went down very well. Nice T shirt as well so will prob do this one again!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Glad you all enjoyed it despite the hills.

Warm building and start/finish area courtesy of Notts. Fire Brigade so thanks to them.
  • Options
    The morning after the Farce that was Bestwood 2004!!

This was the third time I had run the Bestwood 10K. A demanding and enjoyable course. I was doing great thins year 18 mins after 3 mile about 20th position. survived the 2 big climbs at the 4 mile point. At about 4 1/2 mile it all went wrong. Following the guys (and lead girl!) ahead of me, we were all going the wrong way. We re-joined the course, only to find ourselves at the end, cutting out about a mile. Whilst some continued to do record breaking PB's. Myself and others simply pulled up and walked to the finish, were nobody would take any blame for poor marshalling, that led to around 10-20 runners getting around the course. Effective marshalling around this off-road course, through woods, is vital. A dissapionting morning. Hope to get some answers. Nice to hear that the lead woman was still awarded the prize. She was storming it.
  • Options
    Aaron,
    sorry to hear of your disappointment. If it's any consolation, after all the work we had put in organising this race I feel as upset as anyone that some people had a bad experience.(13 runners went off course)
    The area where the wrong turn was taken was a path that branches to the left as the main path took a right turn.The path to the left was taped off, unfortunately after the race had started the park rangers drove round the course removing all the tape.This obviously gives cause for concern as we have marked the course out this way for the last 20 years without a problem and if we had been informed of a problem prior to the start of the race we could have looked to see if we could re-deploy marshalls to other areas but 15 minutes into the race with marshalls spread out all over a complex course left us with a problem.Anyway once again, apologies for your disappointing experience hope I've gone some way to explain the reason the problem occured.Hope to see you next year and give us the opportunity to make up for yesterday.
  • Options
    Just been looking at the results from sunday's race (Redhill Road Runner's website) - it says there were 510 finishers.
    Being a bit new to all this, do you know how many started the race (or registered to run it), and if there was a cut off time in which you stopped the clock?.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Glenn,
    not sure of the number of people who were registered to run(413 pre-entries plus entries on the day.I'll find out though)We did'nt operate a cut off time, the clock being stopped when the last runner crossed the line. Thanks for entering, hope you had a good day.
  • Options
    Very well organised event. Very nice lady at the second water station called out my number and gave me some encouragement which was much appreciated.

Great long sleeved shirts. The cakes on the food stall were excellent value and very tastey.

A big thanks to all concerned.
  • Options
    I feel very sory for the runners who went the wrong way.I was also sadend by the few people who ridiculd them.Im not saying we cant have any humor but can we have a little suport now and then
  • Options
    That's bad to hear ridiculing, not very funny when you're actually running an organised event which they had no doubt trained hard for - there's a time and a place for humour.
    Thanks "Triple R" - it was my first ever organised event (i only started running 2 months ago) so i have the taste for it now - i could have chosen an easier start than Bestwood but as i live in Sheffield i can't avoid hills wherever i run!!.
  • Options
    well done glen it look me 6 months to do a 10k and it was flat.
  • Options
    Well done Glen,you certainly picked a tough one for your first race! Hope it was the first of many and that we see you next year for another crack at it.