Options

Stortford 10

Comments

• Options
    Email confirmation received this morning so no backing out now!
  • Options
    SlowButFar, the 40% refers not to my proportion of badgeriness (badgerocity? - not sure of the correct word), but rather to my target position in a race. I've run enough races on flat courses in perfect weather and good shape that PBs are fairly unlikely anymore. So I tend to judge how well I ran by seeing how far down the field I finish. If I finish in the top 40%, I'm happy.

(In the big city events with lots of fun runners, I sometimes sneak into the top 30%; and in small fields with just hardcore entrants it is sometimes as low as halfway. But 40% is a pretty consistent number.)

Good luck for sunday.
  • Options
    thats a really good idea Badger - I'd never thought of guaging performance like that. Maybe I'll try it this weekend though I suspect a top 50% finish is highly unlikely for me at this one.

• Options
    Badger,

good theory, I've tried that a few times myself, as an example at Southend 10k I think I was something like 180th but top 12.5% sounded much better when related to work colleagues! Flipside is the North Essex X country league that my club compete in, as I'm very lucky to ever make the top 50% there.

Anyone know what the field size is likely to be at this one?
  • Options
    There was a great quote from British Runner magazine that no matter how much you train you can't turn a cart-horse into a race-horse ... just into a very fit cart-horse who can do well if you pick the right race. If you fancy some top 10 places, try club or school fun runs - one of our local secondary schools did a 5k/10k cross country as a fund raiser for their PTA - £10 to enter, about 75 did - the majority were pupils and parents who mostly opted for the 5k (once round the course) but about 15 people did the 10k so I managed a top 5 finish!
  • Options
    Well done Bunions, wondered where you were going with the cart horse analogy for a moment, thought you must have seen me in my former life as an amatuer footballer!!!

Our club races are normally run as handicaps so little chance of a good finish there either, in fact I came last on the last one! :-(

Have to stick to racing my 3 year old son, I'll have the drop on him for a few years yet!
  • Options
    Quality bunions well done! I am deffo in the cart horse catagory but I still enjoy myself which is the main thing. Looking forward to a nice trot round on Sunday!

I am working on two of my running budies to join me - would also be interested to know the field size as neither of them have done much racing before and are a bit nervous...
  • Options
    Did it last year - 429 according to their website.

Bit anxious about weather forecast, very cold, gale force winds so that may deter any last minute entrants.
  • Options
    ...oh dear...better dig out my long sleeved top! Did Thanet 10 in similar conditions last year and got a PB that i've not come close to since - I think I was just desperate to get home and out of the wind!
  • Options
    yep, school races or smaller events are the way to go for top-ten finishes, I wonder if we're talking about the same one bunions, but I raced the Newport 10k run by the school only about 75 runners but most did the 5k course. Probably only me and two clubmates there who could run well under 40. Never won a 10k before but sped off went through the first loop ahead of all the 5k runners with 2 sub 2:55 marathon runners on my heels but just managed to hold my clubmates off and get my first senior win :).

Stortford 10 though, looking from last years results you'll need sub 60 at least to make it inot the top 10 or so.
  • Options
    Think it was the same one - I'd done London marathon a few weeks before so that was my first time back on the mud. The other good fun run is Bishops Stortford 4 mile in late September where I've made the top 10 several times.
  • Options
    I track my % position as well, 40%badger - my running career to date position is 71%! I've managed a top half position just twice in around 30 races.

• Options
    yep, I've always like the idea of the Stortford 4 but it always manages to be on the same day as the Saffron Walden 10k which is my annual measure of progress as I normally set a PB there.
  • Options
    SBF, does the distance of the race make any difference? I guess with your name you should be further up the field in longer races, but for me it doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm equally good / bad at all distances from 10k to half marathon. Never quite figured out how that can be true.
  • Options
    Weather could be wet on Sunday. If we are lucky the cold but dry weather predicted for tomorrow will hang on for the race.

I love racing on cold bright autumn mornings. Don't like rain so much.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of rain, brooks! I remember doing Stevenage 2 years ago in driving rain which turned into a hailstorm. Running along, with what felt like conkers smashing into my skull, I suddenly burst out laughing at the sheer stupidity of spending a sunday morning doing that. Always enjoyed running in the rain since then - very refreshing. Just strong winds I object to.
  • Options
    Looked at my % position by race length, badger: 10k 66%, 10m 71% and half 69%. So no much variation really. 10ks I try to run hard the whole way - the others I tend to be more conservative so that might explain the slight difference.

(now I'm going to see if I'm improving or not over time . . . ).

My race number is 292, btw - maybe see some of you there
  • Options
    I'll say hi if I see you SBF, I'll be in my bright orange vest so you'll prob. see me first :).
  • Options
    Roll call:
    Brooks the Beast #666
    RichardW #435 [Scarlet top: Herts Phoenix]
    SlowButFar #292
  • Options
    268 for me. See you all there.
  • Options
    heya, just got back, well done everyone, tough race but seemed quite nice, 9 mile marker was way off, I reckon by about 800m, as I thought I still had a km to go from the 9 mile mark but 250 metres to go appeared and I didn't quite believe it. Messed my race strategy up a bit but not too much as I was planning to go hard from the 9 mile mark and as I felt good I started abou 400 metres before it so only 400m of harder running lost. 1:00:42 is approx. my time and came about 15th, not bad for a debut :). Nice to meet some of you :).
  • Options
    Well done, Bryn - the couple of times I saw you on those loops you looked very comfortable.

Don't quite know how but I did 1:23:21 today - another PB (which I only set last week at Stebbing . . . ). Roll on Hadleigh!

That silly 9 mile marker nearly wrecked me - I thought I had missed it, then to see it ahead was a real demotivator - part of me believed it because I was struggling a bit by then was guessing at my pace. Still it made the 250 to go sign seem all the more welcome somehow . . .

Marshalls were terrific - thanks very much (particular thanks and support to the marshall getting grief from a motorist on the Leggo estate - I was impressed by the two cops running (against the flow of the race) to give her support. hanks to them as well.

Nice to meet Bryn, Brooks, Richard & Humph - didn't see 40%badger though (my eyesight is crap)
  • Options
    SBF, I was keeping an eye open for you as well but i was probably thrown by looking further down the field! 1:23 must put you close to another top half finish - you'll have to come up with a new nickname soon.

Enjoyed the race and have to agree the marshalls were great - and numerous! Never seen so many in a 10 miler before. The 9 mile marker was so out of place that i never believed it, and the marshall shortly after that point was kind enough to confirm that it was wrong, so it didn't affect me.

Ran 1:14, only a minute outside my PB. Only minor criticisms i would make is that the path was v narrow in places which made overtaking difficult, and having the finish line immediately after a hairpin bend was not ideal - nearly went crashing into the marshall and then into the guy in front of me when he slammed on the brakes after finishing.

However, weather conditions were perfect for me - a lovely refreshing drizzle. (Sorry, Brooks!) And the undulating course description was spot on for once - no challenging hills.

Great organisation and a lovely day.
  • Options
    A very painful PB for in 1:11:52. That 'mile' 9 up the hill was agony.

A special mention to the kitbag lady who set a new world record in handing out bags today, I got my bag before even asking for it, well done her.

• Options
    I ended up doing just under 9 minute miles. When I went through the 9 mile marker, my split time was 13 minutes! So, unless that hill marcymarc24 mentioned was worse than I realised, that's almost another half a mile [that's 880 yards, ask you mother Bryn]!

Did anyone see the forumite wearing one of the official forum shirts? I didn't realise until after he or she had gone past. Short, black hair, glasses...and slower than me; probably did about 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Well done guys, particularly those with PB's and a great debut run Bryn. I was about 20 secs off my PB in about 1:11:10 (failed to stop the watch due to cold hands!)

Quite enjoyed the course, undulating but nothing too serious and nice to see the leaders a couple of times. I was pushing hard for the last 3 miles and was knocked by the 9 marker as well as I was sure I hadn't slowed but had a 9 min + mile on the go before I even saw the marker, the marshall kindly said there was 'only a short mile left' but I've heard that one before and didn't really believe it until that 250m sign appeared by that time had nothing left in the tank anyway.

Nice to see SBF at the end, 2 PB's in 2 weeks, hope the roll continues
  • Options
    Well done all. I am afraid I have let the side down as I was outside my PB. But as I went into the race expecting about a 1.34 and ended up finishing in 1.28 I'm pretty pleased.

I really enjoyed the run. Full of friendly runners and marshalls so very glad I got out of bed to do this one!

Congrats to the rest of you - some really good times!
  • Options
    m with you, when I said 'off' relating to PB I should have said 'outside'. But well done on being 6 mins or two thirds of a mile quicker than you thought!
  • Options
    Well done all - another PB to add to the list - 66mins.

This beginner lark is great - just dreading the day when my ability levels off to static times.

Well done to the marshalls and organisers - great support
  • Options

Thanks to all who ran yesterday. We had a record number of entries and hence finishers.

We apologise for the 9m marker - another lesson learnt for next year - make sure guidance is absolutely clear! The hairpin at the finish was a last minute choice forced on us by the building work. Next year we will have a nice tarmac drive to finish on.

Thank you for all of your postive comments - bar the course is there anything else we can improve on?

Race Director