Options

Walking to work

Hi All

Can I include walking to work as part of my weekly mileage. Unfortunatually there are no showering facilites at my place of employment so I don't run in, leaving that to the evening.

I have recently chose to walk to work in the more a distance of 3 miles because a) the weather b) its faster than the public transport into Birmingham. I find I am arriving earlier and c) it tends to make me more alert first thing so I can dive straight into working with out a cathine boost to kick start the engine.

So can I include this as part of my weekly mileage?

The Bearwood Athlete

Comments

• Options
    Well as someone who drives up the Hagley Road everyday, hopping backwards on one leg blindfolded would be faster than driving it these days. i regularly see people who must be doing the same thing, walking that is. Including the chap who really ought to put some jogging bottoms on, his legs shouldn't be allowed out in public!!

As I believer in walking I can see no reason why this shouldn't be included in your weekly mileage, however not one for one compared to running. I'll give you a wave!!
  • Options
    Walking a mile burns the same amount of cals per mile as running
  • Options
    Why not try a marathon on your 30 miles a week walking mileage, and you can tell us afterwards?
  • Options
    Yes interstingly enough if you walk at about 5- 6 miles an hour you will in fact burn more energy than running at the same speed.

Walking is a very efficient method of moving the body up to about 4mph, go above that speed and it is less efficient at moving you along than running.

The moral:- Walk BRISKLY to work.
  • Options
    Bearwood,

I also walk to work and I count my walking mileage as part of my weekly total as I think it can be similar to that of recovery runs. Besides as Will says, the calories burnt are the same. If I want to make it harder I sometimes carry some weight in a backpack.

I would be interested if anyone reckons counting these miles is cheating though?

Jim
  • Options
    i guess its onle cheating if you start including walking that you do anyway (eg wearing a pedometer round the house and finding that you've walked a mile or 2, then cutting it off your run)
  • Options
    Knacker knees thats probably me walking down the Hagley road You should come and join me for my morning stroll LOL
  • Options
    Well I walk my dogs a total of about 4 miles varied terrain every day and while I don't count it in my running milage, I firmly believe it helps towards my overall fitness.
  • Options
    I'm logging my running mileage and walks of 2 miles plus separately. Although I'm only running 20-25 miles a week just now, adding in the brisk purposeful walks brings it closer to 50 miles. Call it fat-burning, low-impact cross-training, whatever, it's got to help with endurance even if it doesn't contribute to speed or lactic acid tolerance.

But I do plan to increase my running, and the walking will reduce as a consequence.

Sympathise about the Hagley Road - it's bloody chaos just now, innit? Makes me SO glad to live and work just north of centre.
  • Options
    Yes, of course it's cheating - but you're only cheating yourself! By all means record your walking mileage separately, but don't kid yourself that it's the same thing as running.
  • Options
    I walked from Bearwood to the city centre on New Year's Eve this year. I was expressing concern about the number of young girls who were out on their own after dark. DOH! How thick and naive am I?
  • Options
    LOL, Helen.

Bit skimpily dressed too, aren't they? And how on earth do they walk in those boots?

And it's the ones on Broad Street I'm thinking of, not the ones at the corner of Rotton Park Road.
  • Options
    Ahhh memories of Brum......
  • Options
    I just walked down The Hagley Rd to the new up & Running shop. I saw none of the young ladies Helen was concerned about. Just cars, endless cars. Glad I don't walk it at rush hour. I travel North but got so sick of the Aston Distressway I now use the train. I did start cycling using the canals to avoid traffic - but way too many run ins with wino's, glue sniffers etc put me off.
    Back to the point of the thread I record my mountain biking or dog walking as seperate to running.
  • Options
    do you ALL live in brum
    help
    I dont count walking at work, tho its probably 3 miles a day
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I do a fair bit of hillwalking in the summer, and I count them as half the distance e.g. a 20 mile walk is equivalent to a 10 mile run. Not by any scientific process, but it feels the same to my legs afterwards!
  • Options
    Hi HH I don't live in Birmingham but do (unfortunately ) work in Brum.

I did investigate the possiblity of walking the canal from Bromsgrove to Birmingham but there's two tunnels with no footpath.
  • Options
    Well, ill be 15 miles or so outside brum in the next few weeks
    Just wondered
  • Options
    HH
    Don't panic. Brum isn't as bad as most people think. I moved here from Norfolk. Quite a change but I do like it.
    15 miles outside the city covers a lot of ground - where are you visiting? At that distance there are probably lots of good routes.
  • Options
    Living there babes
    Moving
    ill be in THE BLACK COUNTRY
  • Options
    Ah!

Have to admit to not knowing the area too well despite living just a few miles to the east. I occasionally work in West Brom or Wolverhampton. The towns aren't great but surrounding countryside is pretty good.
  • Options
    Wow what have I started but great to hear that there are many from my area. So how many more from the Bearwood Quinton Halesowen and surrounding area are there?? Cone on own up yell us about your running are you club memebers? Do you run regulary and were?

PS If you can get past the ladies of the night Up and Running on the Hagey Road is worth visiting

The Bearwood Athlete

www.thebearwoodathlete.co.uk
  • Options
    ta will,check it out
  • Options
    Bearwood, are you doing 10k Lung Run in Sutton park?
  • Options
    Helen

Not sure when is it?

I am in marathon training now but will be doing the runners world paced run in March and theres a plug LOL what other events you running?

• Options
    Evening all. Yes, I live in Halesowen (the Quinton end) too, and work in Dudley. I moved here about 5 years ago, and it's really much better than it might appear at first sight... It's easy to get to lots of scenic places to run - though they tend to be "undulating" - ie. hilly!
    As it happens, I am looking for a running partner, especially for long weekend runs. My details are on the badly trained monkey website if anyone's interested. I have been investigating local clubs recently, but I have a 2yr old son so it would be hard to get to club nights regularly.
    As for local shops, I find the Black Country Runner in Cradley Heath and Sweatshop in Brierley Hill are both excellent.
  • Options
    Hi Fairy Feet

I am also a member of Halesowen athletic club along asking questions about walking to work. It is great running area. You have roads and the clent countryside to run in what a wonderful place to be. I run a training group from the club on Monday evenings if this is of any help to you?

Do you run any events locally or any other races planned?

What is this website?

Cheers

The Bearwood Athlete

www.thebearwoodathlete.co.uk
  • Options
    When lung run?