Options

Expo

Comments

• Options
    I'm looking forward to the expo, got to pick up my race day trainers.
  • Options
    martin, my AAAs envelope (front and back numbers) only had 6 pins. Maybe they're using an incompetent fulfilment house, or maybe they are on a cost cutting drive!

Only bought one thing that I am pleasantly surprised with, a book written by AW Journalist Alastair Aitken (and runner of the 1st 19 LMs) price £2 (cover price £9.99) from the RRC stall. I will read it on my holiday after the marathon and let you know if it's any good!
  • Options
    ouch new trainers this late in the game...?

expo was good. pasta cold, by the time i finished that the tea was cold.. lol..

But generally a few things were cheaper, so if you need to stock up on socks, trainers, gels and motivation then its realy good.

Wasn't that busy which was a good thing... Be sure to grab the extra free bad at the end - nice towel, food stuff and SHOWER GEL !!!!

Although I've been given pen 3 :-(

ttfn all and good luck...
  • Options
    I've just got in from a great day at the expo, massaged about a dozen runners. I can't believe how unready a lot of people are! such a great feeling of job satisfaction. Seeing people come with aches, pains and a feelings of doubt, a quick wrm up massage and a few PNFs later they are literally skipping out :0)
    For us to do it's simple but to an injured, worried runner it's everything.

excellent atmosphere, the hall has such a sense of excitment about, it almost hums.

• Options
    Ps, there are so many freebies on offer you could almost do the weekly shop there.
  • Options
    Great I hope they still have some left on Friday!!
  • Options
    New balance defo the best stand.

I picked up a free pair of New balance 900's just for having feet measuRED & GETTING LUCKY.
  • Options
    I blimmin forgot to pick up my orange 'bumper sticker' - is there any other way of getting it than traipsing all the way back? Or could someone else pick it up for me?

BTW Expo was good with great bargains - although I got there too late for the pasta party- I think it much have closed about 7.30.

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Sunshine,

Don't worry about the bumper sticker - you probably wouldn't have got it anyway. I went to get mine and they told me they'd had a problem with printing them and mine wasn't there.

Said they'd post it to me. They didn't look too impressed when I told them not to bother!!!
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Ohhh, but I did get 8 safety pins with my number. Figure that one out!!
  • Options
    Mitten - ah shame - thanks for letting me know, at least I didnt go all the way back! Lets hope they post them out in time... or I might just make my own instead, blue peter style!
  • Options
    Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    Mitten - can I have one of yours then?

Pizza Man - excuse my ignorance but what or who is "PNF"?
  • Options
    I thought the expo last year was great. I ended up with 3 goody bags - vaseline, tea bags, uncle bens massala sauce and rice, cereal - it was brill. The only problem was I did my back in lugging it all home.

Also got a great new running top and shorts from Ronhill for £20 - I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Martin, was very strange. I clipped four pins together and then as I turned my envelope upside down they just kept coming out!!
  • Options
    I travelled down from Lincolnshire yesterday to collect my number.
    I really enjoyed the Expo, and got loads of freebies as well. I even got a free cup of the official beer-Yes, free beer. Now that can't be bad!
    John 'The Penguin' Bingham, of Runners World fame gave a very entertaining talk.
    So stop whinging, and enjoy the Expo!
  • Options
    Are blister plasters part of the freebies?
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    First time FLM and thought the expo was efficient, and great. Got number and chip within a few minutes. Then 20 minutes walking around picking up bits and bobs and a free goody pack. Excellent, wish I had more time to delve.
  • Options
    bummer - missed the goodie bag at the end.

But I agree - it's a buzzing atmosphere - I only had 30 mins there 'coz of meetings back in town, but you should aim for at least two hours to mooch around...
  • Options
    Yes Hurds, I did get a free blister plaster as one of my freebies.
  • Options
    Rocks,chill,matey,and have a good run-i miss our speed sessions....
  • Options
    Can I ask a question about Expo which is:

Can you buy running gear etc with credit cards or do I need to take cash?
  • Options
    In general I like the expo, especially the freebies (nice towels!) but I do wonder what the point is of all the "charity stands", after all, surely all runners have chosen their charity, and have got most of their sponsors by now?

Last time I did it, (albeit in 1999) I got my own place but decided to fundraise for Antony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust. Nevertheless, I felt there was no point whatsoever in visiting their stand at the time. (Mind you perhaps its just me not being sociable, as I declined to attend their pasta party and their post race reception too - I don't need to make a fuss about it!)

Don't think I could spend more than half an hour at the expo "walking the stands" as you'd get bombarded by so much junk!

The "tat" souvenirs were good though, particularly the frame for your medal!
  • Options
    LL - credit cards are widely accepted now. Even in London !
  • Options
    How big are the kit bags they give you? I am paranoid of having too much with me and nowhere to stow it
  • Options
    Don't worry the kit bags are plenty big enough. Last year mine was only half full and I had brought enough "emergency" kit for half the runners.
  • Options
    Thanks, I don't need anything else to worry about at this stage
  • Options
    Cracking atmosphere at the Expo this afternoon - got a new watch, had a leg, back and shoulders massage, enjoyed the pasta party and bumped into a few running folk that I'd met up and down the country at previous running events. Paula was there as was Jonathon Edwards and Baldini - shook hands with the great man Haile (WHAT a moment!), John "Penguin" Bingham gave a very funny talk. Terrific rubbing shoulders with folk from clubs from all around the country and chatting with experienced marathoners and first timers. This is my fourth London (first was in 2000) and I thought one of the best Expo's yet.
  • Options
    Went to expo wednesday afternoon got new brookes trainers and they threw in technical T and pair of socks.Nobody hassled me and all in all had a good time.

• Options
    anyone know what the parking is like around the expo?
  • Options
    parking was pretty empty today at 7 pm.

PNF - Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation. A perticularly effective way to stretch a muscle or muscle group.