Options

Asics Blackpool Marathon

Comments

• Options
    s1m,

If you can not do both, choose the one nearest to you! Both are PB courses and well organised.

Then again, time moves on so if you choose B/pool at least you have the option of Abingdon!!

Go on, you know you want to do both :-)
  • Options
    just a quick question - does anyone know if there's championchip timing for this? i guess there isn't as i haven't seen this anywhere
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    PH - dont you dare drop out . This is my first marathon and I'm nervous enough as it is . I need us slower guys to make sure I dont get too deflated ! Anyway , the best thing about a new distance is that I'm guaranteed a PB even if I'm last !!
    Noel/no.8 - looks like Richmond is on the cards so may see you there .
  • Options
    Vassey - I believe Ron mentioned on here that there is no Championchip Timing as the number of runners doesn't make it viable.
  • Options
    Vassey, there wasn't in 2003.
  • Options
    PH & whoever....

I am quite concerned that you guys at the back feel let down. Last years marshals, water stations, banners and signage were all in place for over 6 hours. The final two ladies finished in 7.27, and although the gantry had been dismantled (was being used somewhere else) the finish clock and banner were still there, and there was a crowd of people cheering them in.

I am here to answer any questions you folks may have and I will do my best to make sure EVERYBODY has a fantastic race. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how we can improve anything, then PLEASE, let mw know. As I mentioned on an earlier post, its YOUR race...

DRT... not sure on the flavour of High 5. I will get in touch will them and post my findings here!
  • Options
    I think PH might have been poldding away from the forum rather than the event.

John Hardcastle, I always used to get cramp playing football until taking dioralyte at half time, no problems since and use a similar formula ie containing salt up to 1/2M. took double conc last time so only carried half the weight and then topped up with water. I guess if its hot salt will be of value but the formula is supposed to be the most efficiently absorbed when dehydrated (just avoid all the aspartame though which seems to be in every other product as well)
  • Options
    Hooray for the plodders!

And hooray for those who encourage us. Just opened up this forum feeling real down about my running and my chances and the first thing I saw was JH's admiration for slowies message. THANKS, it's made me smile again.

I suffered my first injury last week (in my left foor and leg) and saw a physio today. He says as a heavier runner it's amazing it's only affecting one leg. I should lay off the running and build up strength cycling and swimming.

Any advice? I am 5'6" and just over 12st. Surely there's plenty runners bigger than me?
  • Options
    hmmmm - I'm 5'8" and 12s 10lb
  • Options
    I noticed in 2003 a number of generous 'locals' were spraying passing runners with hose pipes, not sure if they repeated the process in 2004 but it would be most welcome in 2005 if its gonna be a hot one !
  • Options
    I don't think they needed to in 2004 did they Ant (oh yes, in case you didn't realise this is Tim here, changed my name after a small amount of persuasion from certain folk including a particular hippo)
  • Options
    Flying Ant...

We are making provisions for a shower spray at at least two points on the course. I will update on the locations as soon as it is arranged. In addition, the locals might assist too, but who knows.
  • Options
    Ron - exceptional service, thank you
  • Options
    I'm 5ft8 and 13.5 stone..... My most recent 10k was 38min 10 (best ever 36min), half at 1hr 30m 30ish s )best 1 hr 18ish)r... forget BMI and all that s@~t - just do your best and go for it!
  • Options
    numbers just in

sweep 793
    Jakesy 794
    FBS 795
  • Options
    Where's our accountant when we need her?

116 frisp (3:50ish)
    184 sarahmassey (3:40) :)
    227 vassy (2hrs. 59 mins. 59 secs)
    441 Chrisss (to get round, 5hrs???)
    453 Simon Franklin 2 (3:25)
    479 DRT (3:30)
    510 Brian - I run on insulin (4:29)
    512 Tallbird (3:59)
    517 OB (4:15)
    611 No.8 (3.30)
    646 wrexhamrob aiming dreaming of 3:59:59
    654 Biffa (4:30?)
    658 paul owen 2 (3.50)
    719 Millsy (3.45 optimistically!)
    729 El Capitan (3:59 - 4:14)
    734 Ripped Dap 3hrs. 59 mins. 59 secs
    793 sweep
    794 Jakesy
    795 FBS
    ??? Seaweed (pacing OB to 4:15)
    ??? natnif (3:59 cool 4:30 hot
    ??? Ultra Hamster-hopefully sub 3:30

• Options
    And another one:

611 No.8 (3.30)
    658 paul owen 2 (3.50)
    769 andy from embsay (3:15ish)
    793 sweep
    794 Jakesy
    795 FBS
  • Options
    thanks lads i`m no good at lists
  • Options
    Keep it rolling:

611 No.8 (3.30)
    658 paul owen 2 (3.50)
    769 andy from embsay (3:15ish)
    793 sweep
    794 Jakesy
    795 FBS
    ??? Biastai aiming for Sub 3:15
  • Options
    Ron
    Ive never done blackpool marathon, but have had the running out of water thing(yes even at FLM) and getting lost at the end owing to lak of signage/marshals/anyone else to follow
    happened last week at atLochaber-very distressing
  • Options
    Ron
    Thanks, its also very nice to see Race Directors getting involved in forums (even if we do ask daft questions), you are very informative indeed :)

UH
    I know its you Tim, i can see the similarity, minus the running vest.. of course !
  • Options
    Ron has my vote for coming on here
    Oh and doing Hi 5

i LIKE Hi 5
  • Options
    i think it would be very hard for you to get lost at Blackpool PH, unless you decided to go on a pub crawl mid-race !
  • Options
    nice one jaksey, never got in chester , i got my check returned today , boo hoo, gunning for this one,

got my number!!!!!!!!!1
  • Options
    Hi all....thinking...JUST THINKING....of giving the half a go. Did it in 2003...the hot one.... but haven't run for a year so this would possibly be a run/walk comeback. Is there a separate half thread or is everyone on here.....
  • Options
    FA

did an out and back course on Sunday

hard to hold it together to remember where the finish was when you are hurting
    i need a tape and a sign
    and peeps not to mess with the signs
  • Options
    Hippsy! You've not hit a wagon have you?

I'm seriously thinking about this one now...as a good training run...unless it's typical UK weather, when I might just get tempted to go for it (in the rain). If it's hot I'll drop out halfway. It is 2 laps, isn't it? If not I'll be very lonely in Fleetwood.
  • Options
    A wagon????????

dont be silly
    Hic

this is my next mara-IF work can get their act together with a rota-dont ask
    have booked in and booked hotel
    hate heat-need a hedy thing
  • Options
    I think there's a seperate thread for the half Snail.
  • Options
    blisters,
    Its an out & back course (thankfully), i personally hate 2 lappers anyway, especially after half mara runners are finishing :(