Options

Edward Heath RIP

I'm a bit too young to remember his premiership.

From what I've read he harked back to a time when the conservatives were a one nation party with a paternalistic attitude and tried to improve the lives of all the people (as they saw it).

So now just 2 surviving ex-PMs (Thatcher and Major).

Comments

• Options
    I think he was essentially a 'good man' but suffered from an image problem. His public persona was a bit curmudgeonly and stiff. If he was around now, his team of image consultants would have softened his image a lot.

He was the last Tory PM to believe in talking to the unions, though I think this made him appear like a soft touch, and they gave him a terrible time (3 day week etc). It created a bit of a mess that Thatcher was delighted to sweep up. I suspect this was one of the reasons he hated her so much, along with their very polarise dviews on Europe.

I was a kid when he was PM, but I remember him being more respected than loved. I wouldn't say anything bad about him at this time though. He was a major figure, and I respect the fact that he believed in partnership rather than confrontation.
  • Options
    I have him to thank for my best ever creation.

During the 3 day week when electricity kept going off I built a fantastic doll's house out of 4 shoe boxes, even made the furniture - all by torch light.

It gave me hours of endless fun.

So thank you Edward, RIP.
  • Options
    Mike Yarwood did well out of him too
  • Options
    i can remember
    he was a good man

whatever his politics

RIP
    xxxxxxx
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    His last aim in life seemed to be to want to outlive Thatcher. Sadly he never succeeded
  • Options
    Might have been better round here if he'd achieved that aim around 1980...
  • Options
    I heard one interesting comment on the radio last night, when someone made the point that if you looked at his personal beliefs he was "to the left of Tony Blair".
  • Options
    RC, heard that too. It was Tony Benn!

A bit too young to remember much about him, but from what i can understand he was essentially a good bloke who struggled with the media.
  • Options
    Rampant inflation, pay rises every few weeks! Watching TV by candlelight.
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Can remember the power cuts. I wasn't paying much attention to the politics of the time but it is always sad when anyone dies.
    RIP
  • Options
    I thought he wasn't too bad considering he was a Tory.

Couldn't beat the unions though and I remember the power cuts.
  • Options
    I thought he was an honest man of integrity and not some little talent. Concert standard pianist, classical conductor, and repected yachtsman.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Yeah - all those wonderful power cuts!
    We used to love them - torches, candles - brilliant.
  • Options
    Glad to see people are blaming Heath for the power cuts, not the miners:-)
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I think in his time as leader he seemed fairly competent, if a bit unlucky (like his sailing, in fact), but his subsequent role as professional moaning minnie sitting on the sidelines throwing bricks was not so effective, and a lot of the time Thatcher was quite right to ignore him, if perhaps not with quite such frosty rudeness.

You're right about the musical talent though - he was a really good pianist.
  • Options
    Was he the last Conservative leader to serve in WW2?

Much more complex and interesting individual than other cons leaders of recent times.
  • Options
    I wonder what we'll say about Thatcher when she pops her cloggs ! I wonder if they use coal to keep hells fire burning ?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see the obituaries. I presume they'll have lots of slightly patronising "decent chap undone by nasty people" stuff, although I suspect you don't get to be leader of the Tories and PM without a few hard edges of your own.

It does make me feel old though, especially as Callaghan popped his clogs not that long ago too.
  • Options
    how can you have watched tv by candle light?

he was not supposed to be an easy man on a personal level, but he took us into "Europe" (bizarre notion - where we we before - Asia?) so well done him for that.
  • Options
    Didn't Thatcher hate him? Must have been a good bloke.

:)
  • Options
    Sorry flr - an old joke. I suppose I didn't say the TV was on though.
  • Options
    Barnsley, you weren't too young to remember him. You were just out running doubles for most of his tenure :-)

Something of a protean, certainly erudite and multi-skilled as a man. A minor visionary and possessed of a not insubstantial intellect. That said, also incredibly arrogant and personally disliked by many, possibly most, who knew him (save for his personal friends) which probably cost him both early, and late, in his political career. I make those observations on an informed basis, by the way.

Other than those of the crocodile variety, I suspect relatively few tears are being shed today. Which is something of a pity as usually a talentless politician is over-rated for having a good personality, where here a reasonably talented individual may end up -- in the short term -- being under-rated for having a rather unappealing (or unforgiving) character.
  • Options
    Thatcher didnt hate him and her comments were very generous considering what a bitter and twisted individual he became.

Though I did have to laugh when he was being interviewed and asked if it was true that on learning that she had been toppled he said "rejoice, rejoice".

"Are you sure?" he said "I thought it was rejoice, rejoice, rejoice"

The sad thing was as two great meritocrats they had a hell of a lot in common. They could have (should have) made a formidable partnership.
  • Options

Thatcher and Heath a great partnership? I couldn't disagree more.

She hated unions, he negotiated with them.
    She said there's no such thing as society, he was the essential one-nation Tory.
    She culled the wets from her first cabinet. He made Pymm look right-wing.

• Options
    The blasted Heath. He took us into Europe, didn't he?
  • Options
    Far too young to remember him, but as an arch-Euro sceptic, I was never his biggest fan.

He never struck me as an especially sharp operator. But then, how many politicians pre-Thatcher were?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    To be fair to the lad:

1. He had a courage to call a referendum on joining the EEC, unlike anyone since

2. Whatever your views on subsequent political developments, the basic idea of the EEC (i.e. an economic area) was a big step forward. When I first worked abroad (in Austria) I needed a flipping visa, a police check and a lung x-ray to show I didn't have tuberculosis, for heaven's sake. You couldn't leave France with more than £200 cash, and you couldn't bring more than 5 bottles of wine back.