Options

ING New York City Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    Alex, have you done Cardiff? What was it like? Course, organisation? As I am only 45 mins away, it makes sense to do it in 2006.

Also, now that we are about it, any good local 10k's and 10 milers around our neck of the wood this winter? I am also looking to do at least 1 half, but it has to be before the end of February, as I am away for work for a month in March...
  • Options
    I think they call them 10 milllllllllers in that part of the world.
  • Options
    Well that's me back.....tonight!! (even though my luggage is elsewhere) No way that I will be able to go through all threads to see how you all got on but hope that everyone did well...and even if like me you didn't do so well timewise I am sure that you will have had an incredible experience. For me it was just too hot and my foot injury became a real problem over last 4 miles. Nevertheless running up 1st Avenue will remain one of the highlights of my life....the crowds were incredible and as I was wearing the kilt they all shouted " Go Scotland" and even "Go braveheart" If I ever felt I was flagging I just moved nearer the crowds and could honestly not take the smile off my face and continued to acknowledge and wave.

i will write more of my thoughts tomorrow when I recover from this lack of sleep (overnight flight from Houston...missed connection then arrived in Aberdeen 24 hrs after leaving!!)

Did you all go to Empire State on Monday....I was there at 10.15 but no obvious sight of others!!
  • Options

Hanneke, Yes and No.

My plan was to do it slowly as part of my NYC buildup, but I was not very well for the couple of days b4 and made a decision on the morning to give it a go. Pulled out after one lap and didn't finish.

It goes from Cardiff centre, through the port out to the barrage, back to the park in the centre and back to the staium then once round that again. Really, you can not get flatter.

I though thought the organisation was fine althought there was a little bit of a crush at the 1/2 finish. Not much support rould the course but plenty in the city centre. I think it is a marathon that will be very big in years to come. Like you say, being 45 mins away (as I am in Swansea) it makes sense.

10 Miler, I would do the Pontyprydd Reverse 10 in Feb. The Forest of Dean 1/2 is good, nice injury-free woodland tracks. How about also for some great fun and hill training the Dursley Dozen in Dursley, Rough and Tumble & Terminator in Wilts. All 10ish miles. Perhaps it might be worth doing the Merthyr Mawr Pudding Race this dec. It is Bridgend-ish and is a famous one with a massive sand dune in the middle. I have done all these apart from this one. All these are b4 march I think.

If you are looking to enter a 1/2 give Bath a miss.

• Options
    Thanks for all that Alex!

I was wondering about the Forest of Dean half. I am a bit reluctant these days about off road running, as you can easily get injured which would then stop me from running well in Rotterdam.

Wasn't it windy on the barrage?

I think Cardiff is an almost definite then...
  • Options

In my view you are less likely to get injured off road. Most of the FOD is man made woodland paths. There was a little bit with potholes and furrows but not too much. Perhaps you are a bit more likely to twist an ankle, but you are less likely to get an overuse injury which surely are more prevalent.

It was a bit windy on the barrage but nothing uncomfortable and you are not there for long.

Cardiff would be a good choice.

Try one of the hilly 10 milers. You would love it. There is a nice t-shirt with the terminator.
  • Options
    I will check out the dates for the hilly 10 milers. I loved the Brecon 10 last summer so anything like that would do me nicely!

And the FOD sounds good too!

Welcome back Caledonian!
    I am so sorry we missed you on the ESB!

We were there, but slightly later than 10 am, think it was about 15/20 minutes past. The queues were bigger than expected... you were not wearing your kilt so I did not spot you...
  • Options
    Just as well because it was v breezy on the W side of the ESB.
  • Options

Terminator is Feb 26th, Rough and Tumble is 15th Jan, Dursley Dozen is 19th Feb. All on RW events system now.
  • Options

Go on Hanneke, you know you want to do all 3 really.

If you enjoyed in Brecon, these will put that in the shade.
  • Options
    I do Alex, but its a matter of timing... I have a course weekend every other weekend, which keeps me in London.

The Pontypridd one I can do though. Planning a half for the 19th, either in Wrexham or the Sussex Beacon (from London) unless something better comes up. That Sussex one looks great, actually!
  • Options
    Cardiff was good H

Nothing like the finish there - almost beat NYC for me as it was my country's stadium!!!

very very flat, very pretty - lots of water!!

I recommend!!

Can't believe you are all going to Rotterdam without me!! Bt i cant be sure to do the course time limit!

I have a friend who will go to stockholm with me which is good!!
  • Options
    Enter anyway Hayley and tell them you are sub 5:30 - they won't stop you in the last mile or so if the time limit expires surely.
  • Options
    Rotterdam is supposed to be really fast Hayley... much faster than New York!
  • Options
    Just checked your NY time Hayley, I reckon you can do 5.30 or less in Rotterdam...

• Options
    I'm sure I could do it
    in under 5:30 - fast does sound good - it is appealing - what is the date?
  • Options
    Hayley its 5 months away and a flatter course you will get under 5.30.

April 9th BTW
  • Options
    ta Maddy!!!

I will think about it, though am still thinking stockholm so i get the lsightly longer training time!!

I need my foot to recover so I can start again!!!
  • Options
    When ever you start again you still know that you are starting form a better place than for NY so you will get back there much quicker

After all you already know you've done it once this time

Have you seen a physio yet about your foot?
  • Options
    IanCIanC ✭✭✭
    Hayley,

I'm looking at Stockholm as well. It looks a nice marathon and a good place to go for the weekend.

in the top 5 of Runnersworld marathon places to run.
  • Options
    Stockholm is wonderful!!! i ran there back in 1989 ad it was quite a big event then....very well organised with a great finish in the old Olympic stadium.

Not sure if that comment was for me madeline (about foot) but will continue to rest (did nothing whilst away...played 6 rounds of golf in texas but they use bloody buggies there so little walking) Will see if it needs an x-ray in a week or so

Pity i missed everyone on Empire state...I was there from around 10.15 to 10.45 but there were loads of people there
  • Options
    Ohhhh nooooo, you were definitely there at the same time as us then! And yes, there were loads of people, mainly runners! So it was difficult to work out who was who, unless you had met before...
  • Options
    Can't believe me missed you Caledonian, we were the ones hogging the ramp down out of the E door. And (not surprisingly) the only ones sporting medals and a "Go Superheroes" board (Well done Rupert, sorry again for missing you kerbside, but nobody told me to look out for you and NY is a big place!)
  • Options
    Just managed a cheeky 5 miler on the treadmill, recovery prog actually allows 8 whole miles this weekend. Yeeeeehaaaaaaa
  • Options
    Btw H, I ordered myself a Garmin GPS from Amazon yesterday and they are really cheap at the moment. I couldn't get the model I wanted in NY but it wouldn't have a huge huge saving anyway.
  • Options
    What are these Garmin things all you gadget geeks are so keen to get you hands on

I have a heart rate monitor that I haven't got round to using yet I take it its an even more serious fitness gadget than that
  • Options
    Caledonian

I was talking to hayley but not deliberately leaving you out hope it sorts istlef out soon though.

Holding off running while still high from NY must be v difficult
  • Options
    I can say that it is Maddy! My calf needs more healing. Tried running to the shop this afternoon (500m) and it still hurt. Dash! Then again, I was warned it would take at least 3 weeks before I could run again.

Those Garmins are gps running computers Maddy. It links you up to a sattellite and tells you everything! Including altitude and elevation, miles travelled, speed, colories burnt etc etc etc and you can plot your course on a map on your computer and download all your splits etc etc

It also has all sorts of additional little features that will make your runs into a real experience!

I did spot them cheap on Amazon Paul! I also could not get what I wanted in NY. I want the 301, as I use a HR monitor and can't face having to wear 2 devices! Only, I am extremely skinned at the momand not certain if I can pay myself my salary at the end of the month, so low priority.

Seriously toying with the idea of becoming a part time posty for a few months, to pay the mortgage...
  • Options
    Booh! Bad spelling, lots of typos, apologies!