Options

seen any good flicks lately?

Comments

• Options
    The Importance of Being Ernest, the one with Margaret Rutherford and Dame Edith Evans. "A hand-bag?"
  • Options
    'Shane' is my number one guilty pleasure:

Shane: So you're Jack Wilson.
    Jack Wilson: What's that mean to you, Shane?
    Shane: I've heard about you.
    Jack Wilson: What have you heard, Shane?
    Shane: I've heard that you're a low-down Yankee liar.
    Jack Wilson: Prove it

'Carry On up the Kyber' is another.

'Spartacus' is a film I don't feel guilty about enjoying... perhaps I should?

• Options
    "Carry on up the Khyber"- yes!

The Khasi of Kalabar: May the benevolence of the god Shivoo bring blessings on your house.
    Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And on yours.
    The Khasi of Kalabar: And may his wisdom bring success in all your undertakings.
    Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And in yours.
    The Khasi of Kalabar: And may his radiance light up your life.
    Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And up yours.

• Options
    My all-time fave indulgence for silliness is either Kentucky Fried Movie or...
    "Carry on Cruising"

Marjoribanks: Gentlemen, have I your agreement for a policy of unremitting quasi-teutonic organisational perfectionism?

Spartacus? Feeling rebellious, Corinth?

Earl- tsk! YOu're slipping up here! Steve 'Sh*tting' Seagull?? Even di Crapio is preferable...:S

...and that's my reputation as a person with good taste further shot to hell! :S

• Options
    Taste is not a moral judgment... how can it be good or bad?

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat oysters?
    Antoninus: When I have them, master.
    Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?
    Antoninus: No, master.
    Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?
    Antoninus: No, master.
    Marcus Licinius Crassus: Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?
    Antoninus: Yes, master.
    Marcus Licinius Crassus: And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.
    Antoninus: It could be argued so, master.
    Marcus Licinius Crassus: My robe, Antoninus. My taste includes both snails and oysters
  • Options
    Aha! Getting bored already, are we?

Goodness and badness has everything to do with it! But not morally: aesthetically!What I just said was more an indication of my appreciation of the intrinsic aesthetically pleasing attributes of something which comprises what is commonly considered "good" or "bad" taste. It's a physical quality based on certain (usually variable)aesthetic standards, not a moral judgement, as you correctly indicated. Therefore, my indication that I like certain things regardless and do lapse into "bad taste" indicates that I am aware of this "standard" but choose to deviate from it occasionally!
    It is just the issue of whether or not it follows what the people or ideas which are my frame of reference have set as standards. Cultural differences & education have a lot to do with it.

Karen: How did you hurt your back? Running away from good taste?
    Will & Grace" (1998)

Anther guilty pleasure:
    "The Far Pavilions" miniseries((Ben Cross :P & book) :))

• Options
    Hmmm, and who or what determines aesthetic standards?

Culture?

But there are so many to choose from… which one?

Education?

“After the embers of the burning books has cooled a little, I looked to Hans and asked him why did we do this?

Hans said to me: We are creating a new philosophy Eva… and our libraries don’t need these troublesome texts… for they are wrong and we are right forever”

Oh, we make the standards and we make the rules
    And if you don't abide by them you must be a fool
    We have the power to control the whole land
    You never must question our motives or plans
    Cause we'll outlaw your voices, do anything we want
    We've nothing to fear from the nation
    We'll kick you out of your houses if you get too much
    If we have to we'll destroy your generation"
  • Options
    Enjoyed that programme tonight on the depiction of Christ/Christianity in the movies... thought the presenter was very good and the message quite disturbing...

• Options
    Hi I was watching a wee bit of it....very good....was it Benjamin Zephaniah?

despite its pro-Christian message, I actually quite like the Robe, mostly because of Burton.

stil not seen The Last Temptation.....is it on over Easter I wonder?

Watched Chicago earlier on DVD while was getting ready to go out. No fashionable I know but I actually think the film version is excellent (albeit assisted by a superb score)

Although she does look like a russian gymnast, Renee is really sparky and actually quite funny and, although he cannot dance, gere has plenty of charisma.

The scene with the puppetry and Gere orchestrating the Jury/media is clever.

Zeta Jones isn't really all that, but her dancing is superb.

and Mr Cellophane (with the criminally underused John C Reilly) is heartbreaking.

Top 5 performances by a male lead (in no particular order)

1. Eric Bana - Chopper
    2. Jimmy Stewart - Vertigo
    3. Michael Keaton - Beetlejuice
    4. Jack Nicholson - Five Easy Pieces
    5. Jim Carrey - Man on the Moon

• Options
    p.s. the dude was called Dr Robert Beckford, although at first i thought Benjamin Zephaniah had been at the pies!
  • Options
    hey the ice storm is on five.

cooo....anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend. bleak though.
  • Options
    I watched "Chocolat", quite enjoyed it, great cast. Too tired for analysis at the moment...

Easter is not my scene, though ;) so I didn't watch the program Corinth mentioned; am now getting back to "Cloud Atlas" for a bit :)

Might see the new Banderas movie soon :)

Hoppy Easter, all of you! x
  • Options
    Chocolat

very sweet....but after about an hour or so leaves a nasty feeling in the stomach.

However, to paraphrase Harry Hill:

"Alfred Molina......more of him please!!!"

and less Juliette Binoche.....most smug person ever?
  • Options
    Juliette Binoche.... Smug!?!

How dare you insult my one true love... havat you sir... you scurvey knave!

Swords or pistols, dawn, by the gallows tree, I'll nominate Moomoo as my Second...

... and may the better man win.

Actually enjoyed Chocolat, not much depth but all feely nicey*

*technical expression meaning warm.

• Options
    <<<backs down and cowers like a cowardly traumatised chicken>>>>>

but gad I hate her..... :)

dench was good in it though.....mischevious.

• Options
    How can you hate Juliette Binoche?

She's luvvly*

*scouse expression meaning phoore!

Hating Juliet Binoche is like hating fluffy kittens or hating Bambi or hating Kylie...

hmmm...Come to think of it.. perhaps there is some validity in your stance
  • Options
    eggzactly....

how could you say she is lovely when she's all "ooo look at me i'm French and cool...yeah I know which chocolate you like...oooooo"

big woop.

Speaking of Kylie....has anyone noticed that, with her short hair, she looks a wee bit like Annie Lennox?

>>>>>heads off out to shoot bambi's mum (cackling evilly)
  • Options
    Morning all!
    Corinth- my First aid kit is ready, mobile has emergency services number punched in :)

Smug? Not really. I thought La Binoche's character was enigmatic, slightly creepy, I was never sure of her motivations.
    Alfred Molina was very good, but also Judi Dench and Lena Olin. Not much of Mr. Depp, but he did his thing well. Lasse Hallstrom also directed him in Gilbert Grape. Trivia: Lena Olin is Hallstrom's wife. She plays Jennifer Garner's (Sydney')mother in Alias.

All in all, a nice fairytale. Admittedly, I did feel queasy at times because I am not overly fond of chocolate, but it was a nice fairytale with a bit of everything in it- issues of morality, temptation, gluttony, Church vs alternative, society vs outcasts, the settled vs the itinerant lifestyle, etc.
    I read a description somewhere of this film as "Footloose" with chocolate instead of the dancing! :)
  • Options
    ...and I got the "888"! :P
  • Options
    "ooo look at me I got 888 and i'm all cool..ooo"

:P

<<<<realises now the duel is two against one>>>>
  • Options
    I know!
    <breathes on nails of right hand and modestly polishes them against left shoulder>
  • Options
    <<Uses Mickey for pre-bout inspiration>>

Mickey—Hey Rock. It's three in the morning. I went up to your house there and they told me you was here. It's a 3:00am kid. You know that Adrian, she's a good girl. Me, you know I'm sorry for both of ya. There's nothing I can do about it. Except uh I wanna tell you this once and then uh I ain't gonna say it again. But Rock you got another shot. This is the second shot. At uh I don't know the biggest title in the world, and you're gonna be swappin' punches with the most dangerous fighter in the world. And just in case you know your brain ain't workin' so good. All this happens pretty soon and you ain't ready. You know you're no where near in shape. So I say for God's sake. Why don't you stand up and fight this guy HARD? Like you done before that was beautiful! But don't lay down like this! Like uh I don't know like some kind of mongrel or something. Cause he's gonna kick your face in pieces! That's right! This guy doesn't just wanna win you know, he wants to bury ya, he wants to humiliate ya, he wants to prove to the whole world that you was nothin but some kind of freak the first time out. He said you were a one time lucky bum! Well now I don't wanna get mad in a biblical place like this. But I think you're a hell of a lot more than that kid! A hell of a lot! But now wait a minute if you wanna blow this thing if you wanna blow it then damn it I'm gonna blow it with ya. If you wanna stay here I'll stay with ya. I stay with ya. I'll stay and pray. What do I got to lose?"

quality.
  • Options
    You talk too much! :)
    In other words:

Francisco Scaramanga: A duel between titans... my golden gun against your Walther PPK.

The Man with the Golden Gun(1974)
  • Options
    agreed....."a little less conversation, a little more action please"

<<<pulls up hood, darts out door....shadow-boxing as he goes>>>

On Ipod:

"Trying hard now
    it's so hard now
    trying hard now

Getting strong now
    won't be long now
    getting strong now

Gonna fly now
    flying high now
    gonna fly, fly, fly..."
  • Options
    then later on some Goldeneye on my Nintendo 64....you've put me in the mood!
  • Options
    Goldeneye- best of the Brosnans! :)

I'll risk taking someone's name in vain here:
    ;)
    Earl: A simple misunderstanding gets a lot less simple once you add choppers and a S.W.A.T team. Those guys have bazookas.

My Name Is Earl" (2005)

Off for my 4 miles in Hyde Park soon! I'll try not to run down any of the pre-lunch (fellow) plodders :)

• Options
    "You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine"

Which film?

Who directed?

Character name?

Actor who spoke the lines?

A Choc-Ice to the person who answers all four correct.
  • Options
    it rings a bell but not gonna cheat so.....

don't have a scooby sorry.
  • Options
    really fancy a choc ice too.
  • Options
    Think Bladerunner