Options

Dartmoor Discovery 32 mile

Comments

• Options
    I'm not slotting anything in apart from some nice gentle 10 milers over the Downs.

HSS might have another interested party in Halstead though...I'll let you know.
  • Options
    Hi both Dips & Shades - Halstead is very pretty, very friendly and well organised. A bit too "undulating" for my liking really but I supopse it'll get me thinking hills for dartmoor!

Good luck at IOW shades.

Let me know about anyone else doing Halstead then Dips - we could lift share as it's a bit of a hike!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HHS - IOW is the one with the hills!! I always use it as my DD training, 50th anniversary this year too.
    I will do Halstead one year.
  • Options
    Aah, Hills, how I love them. Sounds good shades, have a good one.
  • Options
    Is it feasible to do this after PLymouth half or is that asking too much. and sorry to be a pian, but should the last long run be 20 or more.Never done an ultra and am very nervous about entering.

London is soooo flat compared to Cornwall.

Lsrt question for now. FLM time was 3,30. How long & what pace would you all say would be a good start off point, or should I just be thinking of gtting round.
  • Options
    One of my club chums is doing Plymouth and Dartmoor so if she can so can u, just don't do eye balls out at Plymouth.

I am just planning to tick over in the time between FLM and DD as per coach instruction and is virtually the same as last year. Mainly 10 mile long runs but hilly ones with one long run of about 15.

Personally I think its more about getting round on the first go. I had the deep joy of overtaking loads in the last 10 miles last year...think they were all men too! My marathon time is an hour slower than yours and I am planning around the 12 min miling pace for DD. So at least 2 mins a mile slower...but other faster chaps may well disagree with all my waffling!!
  • Options
    Digger

I agree with Dips you probably don't need to do any very long runs between FLM & DD. If you can run a 3-30 marathon then your going to run around the 5 to 5.5 hour marks at DD. As for runing ultras DD is only 6 miles beyond a marathon, its not a lot in reality. Just remember to walk up the hills, gives you a nice break!

As for hill work don't worry about it I NEVER train on hills cos there aren't any in Dubai but I've run a hilly ultra or two and as long as youve done the miles in training the hills don't matter.

Good Luck and see you there!
  • Options
    Hi all-Ran the neolithic yesterday,recomend it for DD training .Nice and hilly off roader.Happy with the time (3.21) as it was almost 10 mins quicker than Paris and theres no hills or stiles there.Great event although a bit boring from 13 to24on that dirt track.Great to see you again dunna runner with so many trotters there you must have felt at home.

Cornish digger-I`m doing Plymouth Half ,Sponge Bob will ride again.I find running in my costume makes sure I don`t run to fast and it makes it more enjoyable .As for predicted time for DD I did 330 marathons the year I did my first DD and I came in at 5-06.I`m sure everyone will tell you this but here goes -The key to finishing is to run the first 3 hours at a pace where you can talk easily and be thinking this is to slow then just dig in and pray your with or can see somebody for the last 2 hrs as you don`t want to be alone.You can`t reli on the crowds here .The few people on the course are fantastic but some stretches you won`t see anyone for miles.If you go off at Marathon pace you can almost bet your house on not finishing in one piece!!Work your pace out to your predicted finish time and stick to it .Good luck
  • Options
    330 marathons - that is impressive ;-)
  • Options
    CD - with a 3:30 marathon time, your target for the DD has got to be between 5:00 and 5:15 - I did 5:23 last year in my first DD off a 3:38 marathon in March. As others have said, you've got to get the pace right for the first 20K or so down to Ashburton - after that the hills make sure that you don't run too fast. At your pace, you'll be looking at only just quicker than 9 minute miling. It'll seem riduculously slow, but just sit back and enjoy the views, because for the second half you'll be looking down at your feet!

As for running Plymouth the week before - it's probably a very good plan. I did so last year in a comfortable 1:41 and it stopped me running further or faster, which I might well have done on a solo training run.

Bob - great that you had a good run yesterday in the Neolithic that has put you in good heart for the DD. I recorded a satisfactory 4:05, which after my recent illness has raised my confidence that I'll cope with the DD again.

I intend to do just one more long run now, with Sat 20 May pencilled in for a 20 miler. I've got a 9 mile off-road race in the Black Death Run this Sunday, and then the Ivybridge 10K the following Saturday. I'll then have a fortnight to taper after my long run before the DD.

I've got one night's B&B booked at the Railway for the Saturday night but now I & most of the other Trotters are going to our President's golden weeding celebration back in Newton Abbot that night. If anyone wants to take over my booking please email me asap.
  • Options
    Sorry that`s 3.30 hrs not 330 marathons(now that would be something!!)
  • Options
    Bob - Great stuff! Great time for an off-roader. You and Dunnarunner are so right about dropping the pace for an ultra. I usually find running an ultra far easier than a mara - although I'm not sure how I'll do on the hills of Dartmoor. Btw what kind of time do you have in mind for Dartmoor?
  • Options
    well

I will be last as usual
  • Options
    PH - someone has to be last - and you do it so well ;-)
  • Options
    why break the habit of a lifetime
    ;)
  • Options
    Don't think anyone who completes a marathon or ultra can be described as last. Perhaps the 'least fast winner'.

Or is that far too PC.........?
  • Options
    Its too pc
    maybe it would be ok for a virgin marathoner
  • Options
    Hi all

Firstly, can I just say how much I have enjoyed this thread, as not only am I an Ultra Virgin, but also a forum virgin. All the discussion has really helped with my training (or at least helped me think I am on course!!) Did FLM in 3:53 and will do one more long run (20 ish miles) on 20th May, with the Dymock Half Marathon on the 28th. Nothing much then until DD. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

As I am an Ultra Virgin - YES, please, can we be the least fastest winners.

Thanks and Good Luck.

See you all on 3rd June.
  • Options
    I'm a born again virgin, does that count?

Dunnarunner...I emailed you as requested, can you confirm if I was pipped to the post or not. I need to let the person dangling know! Yes I know, impatient!

• Options
    I met a virgin once does that count?

NO ONE LOSES AT THIS ONE !!JUST THINK OF ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE DOING SOD ALL WHILE YOUR OUT DOING IT.YOUR ALL THE BEST
  • Options
    Very true Spongebob :-)
  • Options
    I'm not worried about time, just enjoy this one...although I suppose that little man in my head will be knocking for me to beat last year's time...but will just see how it goes.
  • Options
    You could always leave the little man at home Dips.
  • Options
    Heck I don't care about being last, which there is a good chance I might be. To finish would be great....
  • Options
    Oh look and as Trin isn't here.........
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Update from RO - entries now 150
  • Options
    Dips - bad news I'm afraid. Have just phoned the Railway Inn to transfer my booking to your name to find that they were taken over by The Plume of Feathers earlier this year, but they didn't hand over any reservations book to the PoF, and therefore the PoF has no record of my booking. If I blissfully had turned up at the Railway in 4 weeks time to claim my room, I would have been sorely disappointed with nowhere to sleep as I wouldn't have packed a tent!

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you ;-(

Only 20 places left then, Shades. It will be standing room only at the bar!
  • Options
    You mean we are going to have to stand?
    <gulp>
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner - I booked my room at the Railway the day the PofF took over. Did you pay a deposit?

paul - you could always lie down in the beer garden