Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Yep got a GFA for London but waiting on the application spoke to them on Monday and they told me it is in the post, pretty poor process would make life so much easier if the process was on online.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    B5D - I don't want to risk going out at 2:44:58 pace rather than 2:44:59 pace, so I'll leave my target time as it is.

Got my London GFA entry about a week ago, filled out the form and it is sat on my desk ready to go.
  • Options
    PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
    Lofters - 3:59:59
    AndreaB - 3:59:59
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:44:58 to give PAdams a new target
    Padams - 2:44:59
    Zed - 4:15
    John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44
    Toucan - 2:58
    Champagne - 3:29:59
    BJP - 3:59:59 and a third (I'm travelling out with Jimbob, so have to beat him in a sprint* finish :)
    Dieselgirl - Sub 4:27
    Emma :-) - Sub 4:30 (call it 4:26:59!)
    Moses - 2:59:99

Just amended my hoped-for time to hit the beer target.. I think the round after me could be bought by either Padams / B5Dreamer - whoever wins that one, then there's some healthy competition between BJP and Jimbob - we're going to get mildly pissed on Bud, who woulda thunk it?
  • Options
    I'm now a bit worried about committing to sub-4 hours. However, I'll see what happens on the day. Went and did 7 miles this morning - really nice in the drizzle. Felt quite good actually - the GNR was still in my legs. The tide was high too, which is always great (apart from when it comes over the path).

Are people meeting at Cereality on both Friday and Saturday mornings? If so, I can come on the Saturday morning. It looks pretty good on the website.

I know what people mean about paranoia - now is the key time. I often think that, at this stage, as long as I can get to the start line, I'll be ok. Thought I was coming down with a cold this morning, but I think I'm ok. In 2 previous marathons, I had trouble with injuries beforehand, but I was actually fine on the day, which is a bit weird - makes you wonder whether it's all in your head. Same happened to a friend in the London this year.
  • Options
    If I break 2:45 I will be very happy to buy serveral rounds of Bud
  • Options
    ....Regarding the "healthy competition" between myself and Ben, is it generally regarded as good etiquette to push your mate over as you cross the line ahead of him, and then to celebrate like you just won the world cup?!?!?

More free beer from Big 5 Dreamer there....get in!!!!!!!
    This is going to be the best marathon ..... ever!
  • Options
    Ooh, I've just had an email from the British Consulate in Chicago!
  • Options
    ......Warning us to stop planning an almighty drinking session at the post-marathon party?

did 12miles today in 1.36 - i'm just ticking over from now. Didn't get my 20miler in this time and was going to push today and do an extra loop, but hal kept going round in my head saying 'be undertrained not overtrained'..... spent the afternoon on the sofa watching Gladiator. Well, i watched the first 10 mins and last 10 mins and slept throught the rest!
  • Options
    Nice one, Em. That's a good pace for 12m
  • Options
    Sorry, just realised I lied - forgot I didn't do the extra bit aroung the park like I usually do so it was only 11miles. Mind you, not many of my friends could do 11miles let alone contemplate a marathon.

So, bloke is out with the boys tonight so do I go to Nando's or Wagamama's? decisions, decisions..... Its a toss-up between the Spicy Rice and a bowl of noodle soup!
  • Options
    Em - 11 miles is still pretty good going in that time! Wagamama's gets my vote ... the depths of lincolnshire do not offer these culinary delights so i made risotto with peas and prawns .. loverly. and apple juice .. who wants a nice crisp white wine with that lovely meal?

Hal in your head - I know what you mean. scary thought..

what does the embassy want? a champagne reception for us all? we can do that..
  • Options
    "...Regarding the "healthy competition" between myself and Ben, is it generally regarded as good etiquette to push your mate over as you cross the line ahead of him, and then to celebrate like you just won the world cup?!?!?"

I'm tying your laces together at the start line.

E:-), probably too late now but go for Wagamama's! All about the katsu curry, what a dish :)

Did 8m in just over an hour tonight. My knee seemed okay, but my iPod is unwell and has a fixation with Johnny Cash 'Ring of Fire'. Had it on shuffle but it played it twice in quick succession. Der der der der der der der derrrr!

Quick straw poll: what's the most embarrassing song on your mp3 player?
  • Options
    bjp - just laugh as you overtake him and remember not to run into a streetlamp ..

i seem to go through an ipod per marathon - the shuffle does die .. ring of fire on repeat should help you keep your pace though no? most embarassing song? i won't be specific but i was burgled once and they took everything (jewellery, every piece of electrical equipment including toothbrush, drill and microwave) and left my CDs. Could it be the Neil Diamond that put them off? The Dolly Parton? The BeeGees? I will never know .. Suffice it to say you wouldn't buy much crack with the contents of my iShuffle..
  • Options
    mp3 dodgy tunes....hmm...kenny rodgers The Gambler. Not wearing iPod during marathon to soak up atmosphere.

did anyone else get the email from those nice folks at the british embassy overseas reminded them not to have sex with anyone under the age of 18?!?! Or drink if you are under 21 (thank the lord no)?!?!? How strange...I am also not concerned about getting mugged in Chicago as it's too cool a city....

Slow 5 miles tonight but my Garmin said only 3miles and g-maps agrees with 5 so will take that.

• Options
    "I'm tying your laces together at the start line."

As long as you point and laugh then it's all good!
    (looking forward to reuniting in the most unsporting golf partnership ever in chicago btw. Have had enough of being polite to people messing up on the golf course!)

Did 7 tonight, to break in my new trainers...it was lovely.... my Pegasus rule all!

Most embarrassing on my ipod.... I have some Britney & Christina.... Toxic & Dirrty. (That's not cool for a 28 year old guy, is it?!?!)

(Just downloaded welcome to the Black Pararde, by My Chemical Romance, not embarrassing....just freaking awesome. BRING ON THE MARATHON, BABY!!!!!!)
  • Options
    Uhh?? what? where is the free beer? Work is such a pain in the ... take two days out doing that and you've got no time to keep up with the forums.

Can someone remove the 2 from my target time? My current status is that my heel has flared up after a fast few mils on tuesday. I'll get round but I'm pissed off - not going to do anything much now between now and chicago.

But... Big 5 dreamer, I've just entered and I'll beat you to your goal by 6 days, all done in less than 20 months. ;-)

Benjamin: Pure Shores - All Saints.
    Zed - I got the e-mail but since we're runnign a marathon and we need to conserve our strength I'd not recommend having sex with anyone.

• Options
    Guys! that sounds like a juicy e-mail! Feel left out as I'm Dutch and obviously they would not forbid any such action..

Toucan - All Saints is not the bottom of the pit - at all. Trust me .. I actually ran along to Mel Torme the other day "promises, promises". Yes no-one ever stole my Burt Bacharach CD either..

No - definitely not running with an iPod during the marathon - there'll be too much to see and experience ..

It struck me while running in the wet and cold yesterday that it could be like that in Chicago - who's a weather expert here?
  • Options
    dieselgirl - LoL the dutch foreign embassy would not send out such an email you are right! I lived in Amsterdam for 2 years - used to do my long runs out at Amterdam de Bos in prep for London Marathon. A hill run was a canal bridge!

Weather is low about 9 and high 20 degrees mostly sunny just now. But could be anything on the day....can't change it so not worrying (well telling myself that anyway)

Toucan - recommend drinking beer if over 21 post marathon though...!

Zed
  • Options
    Some good tunes there ladies and gents. I can only offer 'I'm Alright (theme from Caddyshack)' by Kenny Loggins. Awesome :)

Definitely don't use your iPod during the race, Zed. I'll have a few tunes on to get psyched at the start though, but then it's crowd and atmosphere all the way.

Jimbob, I can see a cricket score going round Eaglewood, about the only club I can hit at the moment is my five wood (and now I've hexed that!) A dollar skins per hole? ;)

Have a good weekend of running people. Got an hour and a half planned tomorrow, also thinking about venturing down to Karama. A Rolex for £25, genuine fakes aplenty!

Ben
  • Options
    are we all over 21 then guys? c'mon - bud won't do you any harm - it might? ok zed - won't fret about the weather - yet.. off for a 6M with the last part of my audiobook (devil wears prada - 12 hours of it...) so after that i can be inspired by everyone else's musical taste ..
  • Options
    I've got a couple of Busted tunes on my ipod. And I'm a 25 yr old guy. HOw very very wrong!!

Day off the feet today. 5K race tomorrow and 10K on Sunday. Anyone else doing the Nike RunLondon event?
  • Options
    actually that's very wrong... it is. good luck with the racing this weekend tafkatetc.. i keep forgetting your real name. oh - there's a point? do we know each other well enough now? it's going to be a tad embarassing at cereality to be calling each other by these crazy names? i'm petra. pleased to meet y'all. the diesel obviously refers to my (lack of) acceleration and speed ..
  • Options
    Pleased to meet your acquaintance Petra...

I am Zoë alias Zed (referring to knickname americans gave me as in I used to have to spell my name for them so would say it is "Zed" for Zoe and they would say you mean "Zee" and I would say no "Zed" but they never understood so I just went by Zed?!!) Too long....

Call me Zoe or Zed....

• Options
    I'm Clive.

No, not really but you probably already guessed my real name...
  • Options
    Not surprisingly, I'm Andrea.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Yep, got that email from the Embassy today too (actually I got two of them, obviously they thought they'd empasise the point to me!)

iPod song - MC Hammer, Can't Touch This. Makes me smile everytime I hear it.
  • Options
    Hi Petra & Zoe! I'm Emma - lots of variations of Emma on the forum though (and I don't like being Em) hence the E and smiley!

BJP - the problem with the 'Ring of Fire' is that it 'Burns, burns, burns'...... The boys also have a nasty habit of humming it on the way out of every curry house. Nice.

Most embarrassing tune? Well, I've got the entire Jazz Singer album on there but I can't run with music otheriwse I forget to look when I cross roads. Is Tom Jones cool or embarassing? I turned 30 this year so I'm allowed to listen to crap now. Bon Jovi still the best rhythm for power walking to.

Interestingly, on the Embassy Email (which my Hotmail filtered out as 'Junk Mail') it does state that in America you have to carry photo ID with you at ALL times. I'm hoping that doesn't include while we're actually running. IT would be pointless anyway - I go all smart and tidy to have photos taken, and look like a monster when I run!
  • Options
    Tee hee! Just had a thought - on the monster/iPod theme... all the way through the Windsor Half, which was VERY hilly, I had the song by The Automatic in my head. 'What's that coming over the hill? Is it a monster?' Ha ha ha ha :-)
  • Options
    Oh no, E. A good reason to wear and iPlod if ever there was one.

By the way, I'm not a Wombat, neither am I blue. Did my marathon at Tahoe last weekend as a last long run. It went ok, with beautiful scenery, Took it easy and finished in 4:33. No injuries, so feeling good. Long uphill stretch from 15 miles to 18 miles, then another from 19 to 20 miles topped the course out at 6800'. By that stage I was knackered, out of puff and out of legs. The last 10k were all downhill, but a bit of a monster.
  • Options
    Here goes:

PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
    Lofters - 3:59:59
    AndreaB - 3:59:59
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:44:58 to give PAdams a new target
    Padams - 2:44:59
    Zed - 4:15
    John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44
    Toucan - 2:58
    Champagne - 3:29:59
    BJP - 3:59:59 and a third (I'm travelling out with Jimbob, so have to beat him in a sprint* finish :)
    Dieselgirl - Sub 4:27
    Emma :-) - Sub 4:30 (call it 4:26:59!)
    Moses - 2:59:99
    BlueWombat - 3:45