Options

Can't sleep after a run

Comments

• Options
    I suffer sleep difficulties all the time-usually because I can't switch off my head. The night before my first marathon I had zero sleep and can't quite believe I was able to run!

I have tried many different remedies-with varying success- but I always sprinkle lavender oil on my pillow or burn it (if you can cope with the weird old lady type smell).

I also occasionally take herbal sleeping tablets which sometimes work-valerina as suggested by cinders is ok although they stink! Another good tip is ear plugs and a sleep mask.

If like me it's because you're thinking about too much stuff try writing it all down-it sometimes helps with accepting that there is nothing you can do about any of it then and there.

I agree with Yanner about the not eating to much too-if you're really hungry before bed a bannana is supposed to be best as it has sleep inducing chemical which I can't for the life of me remember the name of!
  • Options
    I find just the same problem, after a hard run I feel tired but buzzing, my mind won't switch off and I can't sleep. I guess it may be down to adrenaline and maybe also a consequence of the body mending itself after being pushed hard.
  • Options
    If only that really worked!
  • Options
    I can really associate with your problems. I train about 15 hours a week nearly all in the evenings. I have suffered insomnia, and noticed it affect my performance. I think someone has already mentioned not eating after exercise and I really think they are on the right track.

You have to eat after exercise, or your muscle will not build and your recovery will be longer. However if you do your digestion systems will warm you up and keep you awake. Normal society doesn't like irregular eating times.

I suggest you eat a good healthy lunch at 12pm lots of fruit and liquid. then at about 4pm have some carbohydrates. Brown bread sandwich or pasta salad. Go out and run hard, sort you kit out for the next day, make lunch, chat to your mates or do a crossword. If your a workaholic like me check your e-mails, do some research. Just something to engage brain. Quell those endorphins. DONT EAT, but do drink a non sugar drink. Herbal or Earl grey is my fave bedtime drink.

Bed before 12.

Have a good breakfast to feed muscle. fruit, muesli yoghurt, honey all mixed up in a big bowl. Maybe a grapefruit and poached eggs. Yum Yum.
  • Options
    if ounting sheep doesn't work try counting blue wombats.

posting at 4.20am says it all. i'm an early bird but that means i'm done for by 8pm.

i suffer too. after hard long race i just feel restless. and the night before like a lot of people.

so long as i rest it doesn't seem to affect my performance only how grumpy i can get later on in the day
  • Options
    Hi There

My advice is to try a few of the suggestions given - especially about eating before a run and cooling down afterwards - for a few weeks. If these don't work then you'll have to make the choice of accepting less sleep or less running.

Both could have the same effect on your overall performance.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I`ve had to agree with my body never to run after 4pm if I want to sleep that night.I think it`s something to do with cooling down and hydration. If I were to do a long run at 8pm I`d literally wake every few minutes at night hot and thirsty. Also I never get a good night`s sleep before a race that matters to me but it`s important to realise that it doesn`t affect your performance so don`t worry. I read somewhere that the sleep you get two nights before a race is what matters. Actually after a lifetime of sports I never got to grips with sleeping before any big sporting event despite knowing all the theories of what I should be doing.Now I just regard it as part of who I am.
  • Options
    I don't think this is quite the same, because I don't often run in the evenings, but too tired is not good for sleeping. But maybe it would be useful.

I think I notice sleeping is hard when a run has been long enough to notice cardiac drift while running. The evening I will feel really tired, expect to sleep well, perhaps even fall asleep for an hour or so but wake up, not exactly hurting but unable to settle or even lie still.

Milk and paracetamol with codeine usually does the trick. Paracetamol is easier on the tum than ibuprofen, for example. For muscles that go solid or painful overnight, the rheumatology consultant suggested low dose of amitriptylene. It seems to work.

I think if you are even just a little bit uncomfortable sleep is not easy.

Don't know whether any of this will help you all.
  • Options
    Here's what works for me

- avoid all sources of caffeine from the moment you wake up - that means no coffee obviously, no tea (including green tea and early grey) except if it's naturally caffeine free like Redbush or a herb or fruit tea. Note even "decaffinated" coffee and tea have caffeine in them so that's a no. No to chocolate too.

- avoid all alcohol. Although alcohol may seem to relax you and knock you out for sleep - it does have well documented disruptive events on sleep patterns.

The above may seem drastic but they're certainly what I need to do to get a good night's kip.

Other advice already mentioned in the thread is to keep your room temperature cool and in the 2 hours before bed avoid too much mental stimulation. Read a book, watch TV or listen to some relaxing music.

Good luck!
  • Options
    The advice about the shower, have a cold one - is that not wrong? Does the inner core not then work to balance the outer core being cold and therefore not cool quicker? I too am an insomniac and read this somewhere before my first marathon.

When I played rugby, I trained 3 nights a week and slept well. Once I was forced to give that up and became a 17 stone 'athlete', I found that plodding around after 7pm killed my sleep patterns, I either could not get to sleep or woke and could not get back to sleep.

Fed up studying running mags in the middle of the night, I studied law at the OU. In year 4 you study something that was so boring I cannot remember what it was (oh yes trust law). Half an hour of that and I slept like a log. Temporarily cured with an honours degree.

Tried running at night just before the GNR and couldn't sleep after. If insomnia returns I will need another course.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Hmm..I have a masters degree in law, so therefore I should sleep soundly, is that right?

Bring on the PhD and sleep, is all I can say!

;o)
  • Options
    Zopiclone sleeping tablets work for me, knocks you out in minutes. After very hard sessions in the evening, time trials on the bike or racing(run not bike)I have very disturbed nights.
    As for Nocte(i'm sponsered by SIS so get it cheap and have used it quite a bit)I'd say it does work, certainly helps sleep and it feels like it helps recovery but it tastes foul. I used to gag trying to get it down(go for vanilla, chocolate even more disgusting)but I have sort of just about got used to it now.
  • Options
    You're probably getting more sleep than you think. The main thing is not to get too strung up about it, you just stop yourself from sleeping by worrying about it al the time. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.
  • Options
    I used to have a similiar problem - not being able to sleep until 2am after evening exercise. Some how I just managed to grow out of it, but it stopped around the time I started having Orange Juice & Lemonade (1 to 2 pints) after the evening run. Now I don't even have that, but I do always drink plenty of water after a session (1 to 2 litres).
  • Options
    I train evenings too. Easy runs, even longish ones don't pose a problem but if i've done some speedwork or a hard club run i always wake up around 3ish am and can't get back to sleep for a good hour or two.

With me its a result of getting my heart rate too high so suggest you have a go at running slower and keeping you heart rate down and see if this helps.

Would also agree with eveyone who has said eat light if you're eating after you run.
  • Options
    i train at the same times, and used to have the same problem after harder runs, the cause was muscle inflammation, quickly cured by some ibuprofen. although i tend to opt for a cold beer before bed time these days which seems to do the trick!
  • Options
    I work shifts and although this means that sometimes I get to run in the morning, my prefered time, I sometimes end up having to run at night after work and this also can mess up my sleep.

The only way I have found to help this is by making sure I have cooled down properly before going to bed whether that is a cool shower/bath - also good for sore/inflamed muscles, better than taking ibuprofen all the time - or just staying up for a bit longer.

have a light meal after the run, some cereal for example, you get the carbs and protein to help recovery.

• Options
    I can't sleep either. I'm convinced it's endorphines. No matter what I eat or drink, how much I relax, hot/cold showers/ alchohol or not, I never sleep after a hard run. It's unbelievably frustrating as I'm totally exhausted too. Sadly, I think the only thing to do is to change the time you run. Have you thought about homeopathy or other alternative meds. Maybe even some acupuncture/acupressure??? just a thought.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Now I havent come to gloat, but I am amazed at how many people are struggling to sleep - luckily I have never suffered from this!

The only time I struggled to get to sleep was the night after a recent marathon when I was in a YHA and the bed had one of those horrible plastic lining sheets....i was too hot!

As with many others I have found reading relaxes me, rather than telly. Also I quite like to have a glass of warm milk before going to bed.

One thing that can affect how I sleep is if I am in a warm room. I like to have the window wide open even in winter so that the room is cool - or even cold
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    The insomnia helpline aims to advise and reassure those who are having trouble sleeping. Don't be alone - phone the helpline on 020 8994 9874. Monday to Friday, 6pm to 8pm.

http://www.sleepcouncil.com/news.cfm?category_id=32&id=52

.........surely this should be available from 1am-3am or something?!!!!
  • Options
    Nobody's mentioned restless legs yet, I think, but that's what keeps me awake if I have an evening run
  • Options
    watch england play football
  • Options
    Maybe the running isn't to blame? The times I run vary from long Sunday morning runs to quick lunchtime sessions to evening club runs, but my rotten sleep pattern is consistently lousy regardless! I've just had (another) night rattling around the house from 2.30 onwards, not a wink since, pointlessly worrying about how lousy I'll feel at work today after another rotten night. With me the problem is that I get my best ideas at 3am, or find solutions to problems that have been at the back of my mind, so I think unfortunately I've taught myself to do this. I wish I could unlearn!

Yawn.....
  • Options
    I sleep like a log after running..

Ah..maybe I'm not running hard enough
  • Options
    Me too - my only evening run now is with my club and I'm always wired and buzzing afterwards and with a 5.30am wake up call from my daughter looming the next day, not to mention a day at work!

I've got better at just lying there thinking about what my mum always used to say "It doesn't matter if you're not asleep, just lying down relaxing gets you most of the rest you need"! I can survive the next day on 5-6 hour sleep plus a couple of strong coffees and generally go to bed earlier the next night.
  • Options
    Problem I find after I have had a run, especially if I have had a run in the afternoon, my legs and body twitch like I am on a trampoline, often bouncing Mrs Calamity about the bed, much to her annoyance, and it sometimes wakes me up too...

BOING....TWITCH

I have tried copious amounts of alcohol to avoiding caffeine and alcohol, but still I get the twitchy leaps
  • Options
    1. Cool shower.
    2. Good book.
    3. Bedroom window open.
    4. Ovaltine.
    5. Someone special to tuck you in.
    1-4 Reccomended.
    No.5 essential.
  • Options
    This research suggests a high sugar energy drink: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5202278.stm
    Not tried it myself
  • Options
    I've just started reading this tread as I often have trouble sleeping and it's not always related to training at night. I've found that magnesium helps - you need to take it regularly to really see the benefit and not just the stuff you get from boots... go to a health store and get the proper stuff. Oh and by the way drinking kills off a lot of the magnesium that is in your body (this hasn't stopped me but at least I am aware of what I need).

Magnesium, in doses of approximately 250 milligrams, can help induce sleep. Magnesium deficiency is responsible for nervousness that prevents sleep. Magnesium-rich foods include kelp, wheat bran, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, and brewer's yeast.