Options

10 mile races

There seems to be a distinct lack of 10 mile races these days. OK ther are a few, but in comparison to the amount of 10k and half marathons, it is a small percentage.
I can't understand it as surely to marhsall a half isn't any different to a 10 mile, in fact it should be better.
And let's face it, when stepping up to half marathon distance, 10 miles is perfect after running several 10k's.
I really prefer the idea of running 10 miles rather than 13.
Anyone got any valid reasons/thoughts for this?

Comments

• Options
    yeh - we went decimal in 1971.......

;O)
  • Options
    Tequila - You're right, there are fewer 10-milers than 10k/HalfMara, but there are enough about to be going on with, certainly in the North of England. eg:

Jan - Ferriby 10
    Feb - Snake Lane 10
    Mar - St. Annes 10
    Apr - Caldervale Country 10
    May - Ripon 10
    Chorley Harriers 10
    Bluebell Trail 10
    Jun - Thirsk 10
    Gosforth 10
    Jul - Tough 10 (Skipton)
    Eccup 10
    Aug - Sale 10
    Sep - Chesterfield Spire 10
    Ryedale 10
    Oct - Harewood Trail 10
    Nov - Derwentwater 10
    Guy Fawkes 10
    Llandudno 10 (although cancelled this year!)
    Preston 10
    Brampton To Carlisle
    Dec - Stockport 10
  • Options
    Without even checking the events listing I can give you two excellent 10 milers in the South.

Maidenhead Easter Ten
    Cabbage Patch Ten

I agree that they aren't as prolific as half marafuns but I think that may be due to the prestige associated with completing a half.
  • Options
    there's also the Mince Pie 10 miler in December near Brighton - off road mainly and hilly
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Others off the top of my head in the south & I'm sure there's loads more

Dorking
    Dry Hill
    Hayling Island
    Canterbury
    Sidcup
    Dartford
    Bramley
    Hook
    Alton
    Thames Towpath
    Tadworth
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I think I could be up for the Sidcup 10 for a bit of pre-FLM training. No excuse really, as it's about 20 mins on the train. Anyone else doing it/done it?
  • Options
    FB thought it was 72 we went decimal - but then I'm bit too young to remember!!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've done a few of the ones listed down south, and of course there is GSR this Sunday.
    Next time i want one I'll just ask you guys for suggestions!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Don't do Sidcup (from what I've heard). Dartford & Canterbury are much better around the same time of year.
  • Options
    decimalisation was Feb 15th 1971...........when overnight beer became 11p a pint and fabs were 10p for 20 (No6).......................pissed for a pound and lung cancer for a tenner.............eee, those were the days.......
  • Options
  • Options
    I was going to say FB - fabs were ice lollies!
  • Options
    Phil, I ran Sidcup this year. Aside from the wind & rain, which couldn't really be helped, I thought the organisation was good, the route quite quick (9 mins pb for me) and I had other people to run with at a fairly brisk pace (57:31 for 13th place).

The other 10M races in the South I've run are:
    Great Baddow
    Mersea Island
    Cabbage Patch

Seem to be plenty for me. I really like the distance, but in my last 2 I've been a bit gutted that I couldn't carry on for an extra 3.1M to smash my HM pb!
  • Options
    Sidcup is much closer to us than Canterbury, might do this one next year. Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    Pirie - December on Farthing Downs

Nice & muddy!
  • Options
    Theres a nice off road miler 2 miles form me in february
    the stourbridge stumble

tee hee
  • Options
    teignbridge 10 march

braunton 10 jan

and new one... bideford 10 sept

all in devon all on road

• Options
    And for those of us north of the border...

Spey Valley 10 (Aberlour) Sept
    Isle of Cumbrae 10 Sept
    Smokies 10 (Arbroath) - ladies only - March
    Tom Scott Memorial 10 (Motherwell) April
    Ballater 10 (I think 10 miles) July
    Dunbar 10 mile Multi Terrain October
    Dundee RR 10 November
    Lossiemouth Turkey Trot 10 December

And there are probably more - but a lot less than there were in the 80s when I was in my (ahem) "prime". I did lots of 10s then - the allure was of getting under the hour, which I did several times. Unfortunately I struggle to replicate that now :-(

The half marathon really took off after the marathon boom finished. People realised that they couldn't bash out dozens of marathons a year - even Scotland boasted a prodigious number at one point - but the half provided an acceptable alternative as it still had "marathon" in the title. After all, what's particularly decimal about 21.1km/13.1 miles? And as the half grew, the 5 mile race extended to become the 10km - almost a quarter marathon. So I suppose we all go for longer now but at the expense of some speed perhaps.

I vote for a resurgence of the 10. For me, it's the perfect balance between speed and endurance, even if I'm no longer chasing the magic hour. The extra 3.1 miles of the half have always seemed like an afterthought to me.
  • Options
    harlow 10 miler

innit
  • Options
    Tadley ( Hampshire / Berkshire border )10. First running was last Sunday. Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    greyhound - interesting to hear your thoughts. I have only done 2 HalfMaras and have another 2 planned. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that I may decide that the last 3 miles are a bit "unnecessary". I am also doing my first two 10-mile races soon (Derwentwater and Stockport), so should be in a position soon to decide which I prefer...
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I always think of the 10M as the classic distance - with the lure of running it in 60mins as a bench mark. It has as every one says now been surplanted by the HM. I now evaluate my HM times as 10M plus 20 mins.

Two more for the diary:

Fenland 10 - 29th October
    Nene Valley 10 - 3rd December

Both flat and fast, if the wind's not blowing.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    JEJ, cheers. If you're thinking of doing it again this year you can be my pace man for, ooh, half a mile or so.

:)
  • Options
    I find the Pirie far too isolating, so few runners, you can be in the middle of the woods or field and no-on in sight - i hate that. I like to know there are people around in areas that I'm not too familiar with.
  • Options
    There's another 10 mile road race in the south - the Woking 10. There's a few hills in there but the course records were set by Alison Wyeth and Richard Neurakar (sp.?) so it has some pedigree. It's about 3 weeks before FLM. Ran it last year and as I won't be fit enough to run FLM I'll aim for this instead.
  • Options
    Jen M - yes i did the WOkign 10 few years ago when they held a 10k simultaneously, but i remember it was cancelled one year due to the council playing silly beggars, and i know we were away this year when it was on - typical!
  • Options
    There is a lack of 10 milers, due to the fact that there are so many soft runners these days, who only like the more fashionable distances.