sdtoot
    Mrs Meldrew
    Peter Ward 5
    Gillian Grant
    LSD
    Kirrie Plodde(Marion)-will be dead
    Boffin
    Poppy
    Annie Matilda (if anyone else is still in the pub by the time I get there. :-)
    ruz
    Grum (If I can still muster the energy to sink a pint!)
    Jaggy
    YP1 (if my stomach holds out and I avoid the lucozade)
    becca250382(if i can walk to the pub!!!)
  • Options
    how did i fall off the list???

Predicted Time
    Pugheaven - 2:36:30
    Boffin - 3:30
    Ruz-3:30
    Jaggy - 3:45
    LSD - 4:00:00
    sdtoot - 4:15:00
    NeilMc - 4:15:00
    Gillian Grant 4.15
    YP1 4:15
    Peter Ward 5 - 4:15-4:30
    Arctic-lady - 4.26.59
    Poppy - 4.29.59
    Mrs Meldrew - 5:00:00
    Charlotte 5:00:00
    Annie Matilda - after everyone else
    Kirrie Plodder - after Annie Matilda
    becca250382 - 4.30

Who's Up For A Drinky Poos Afterwards
    Pugheaven
    Charlotte
    sdtoot
    Mrs Meldrew
    Peter Ward 5
    Arctic-lady
    Gillian Grant
    LSD
    Boffin
    Poppy
    ruz
    Jaggy

• Options
    sorry artic-lady that was me way back in thread thought i had sorted that oops
  • Options
    Chicago's on my list for next year...money permitting. It's on the day before my birthday so I can call it a birthday present.
  • Options
    I fell off the list too!!

Predicted Time
    Grum- 4.00.00 (ideally less!)
    Gillian Grant 4.15
    Arctic-lady - 4.26.59
    Poppy - 4.29.59
    becca250382 - 4.30

Pugheaven
    Charlotte
    sdtoot
    Mrs Meldrew
    Peter Ward 5
    Arctic-lady
    Gillian Grant
    LSD
    Boffin
    Poppy
    ruz
    Jaggy
  • Options
    Ok, I was looking at my training schedule and jigging it around to fit in races that I have planned. Then, I started to work out my weekly mileage and it is as follows:
    48, 42, 35, 38, 46, 45, 40, 46, 47, 44, 46, 54, 43, 55, 62, 51, 52, 47, 43, 28(Week after London), 55, 45, 47, 43(Edinburgh week).
    Does that sound like it fluctuates too much and should I be looking to even it out a bit more? The weeks over Christmas are lower, because obviously I won't get so many chances to hit the road. What are others doing?
  • Options
    How frequent are the buses from Musselburgh to the city centre early on a Sunday morning. I was thinking of parking my car at the finish and getting a bus to the start. The shuttle bus which is on offer is meant for taking finishers back to the centre and won't start operating until midday.

Predicted Time
    Slow Motion - 3:30
    Grum- 4.00.00 (ideally less!)
    Gillian Grant 4.15
    Arctic-lady - 4.26.59
    Poppy - 4.29.59
    becca250382 - 4.30
  • Options
    slow mo, the organisers said in a thread a while back that the public transport from the finish back to the start at that time in the morning is not very good. Caroline said that there is plenty of parking in the start area and then the shuttle buses back at the end of the race. I know it's not ideal if you are coming from nearby and then need to get a shuttle bus back to the middle of Edinburgh, but is preferable to trying to make it to the start on public transport I'd guess.
    Or, if you come from Glasgow, there is a free bus put on that you can book to get you to the start/home.
  • Options
    I thought that I was being clever renting a flat for a couple of days but am having second thoughts. I have been asked for a non-refundable deposit of £100. Considering the whole bill is only £130 (-£13 already paid at time of accepting the booking) and there is still five months to go I think that is a lot to ask.

Do you have to pay up front for the hotel bookings and is there a cancelation fee? Can anyone advise please?
  • Options
    Whenever I've booked a hotel it tends to be confirmed on my card when I book and is only charged when I've checked out. (That said folk like Expedia charge up front, but I think the rates can be cheaper?)
  • Options
    AnnieMatilda, there are some nice B&B's not too far from Holyrood Park that might be worth looking at, they're about £45 for the night I think if I remember rightly. I booked one for my parents in 2004. Sounds a lot for a flat.
    You usually pay a reservation fee for B&B's I think and hotels normally take credit card details, but don't charge until your stay.
  • Options
    Grum, do you still have to pay if cancel?
  • Options
    Thanks Soph, I'll look at them. Would that be walking distance to the start?
  • Options
    You usually pay for the hotel if you cancel in the week before your stay, but generally get a refund minus cancellation fee if you cancel prior to the final week.
    The B&B's are about 20minutes perhaps from Princes Street. It's not too bad, but my knowledge of Edinburgh is always blurred from running long distances and then walking to find my way back!!
  • Options
    Like Soph says I think it depends on how close to the bookied date you cancel. Most likely varies from place to place?
  • Options
    Thanks for that info. I think I will start looking again tonight. Right now I am off to town for our office Christmas lunch - in a Spanish Restaurant no less!! I wonder how you say Merry Christmas in Spanish.....
  • Options
    Training plan I'm going to use is from New York. web page is.
    http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/training/trainingschedule.php

Hoping to start in the new year.
  • Options
    Don't count on bus from Musselburgh (end) to Princes St (start) am early Sunday. By and large Edinburgh buses very good but Sunday early they are few and far between. If it was me and I really wanted to stay in Musselburgh I'd book a taxi. May be 3£15 but money well spent. Away now for a w/e of running around in the freezing cold. Wot fun !!
  • Options
    lol Gillian, i've ran in atrocious conditions this week at 5am , i look foward to some non windy days at least!

• Options
    hers me added to the list- quite a posse!
    Predicted Time
    Gillian Grant 4.15
    Arctic-lady - 4.26.59
    Poppy - 4.29.59
    becca250382 - 4.30
    paul AKA pea 3.45-4hr

Pugheaven
    Charlotte
    sdtoot
    Mrs Meldrew
    Peter Ward 5
    Arctic-lady
    Gillian Grant
    LSD
    Boffin
    Poppy
    ruz
    Jaggy
    paul AKA PEA- plenty pubs in musselburgh!

• Options
    ps ARTIC LADY is that your real own pic???
    what a foxy lady!
  • Options
    Thinking of of following the 18 week sub 4.30 plan on here or a Hal Higdon one. Going for my first run in ages tommorrow.

Am really looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Predicted Time
    paul AKA pea ((who fancies Artic Lady)
    ) 3.45-4hr
    Gillian Grant 4.15
    Arctic-lady - 4.26.59
    Poppy - 4.29.59
    becca250382 - 4.30

Pugheaven
    Charlotte
    sdtoot
    Mrs Meldrew
    Peter Ward 5
    Arctic-lady
    Gillian Grant
    LSD
    Boffin
    Poppy
    ruz
    Jaggy
    paul AKA PEA- plenty pubs in musselburgh!

Pug
  • Options
    Oh God, looking at everyones weekly milage, I'm doing no-where near that!!! What should I do???? I do sprints on a Tuesday, Club 6 miler on a Wednesday, amd a long run on Sunday. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Merry Christmas in Spanish is Feliz Navidad. My folks live out there, so this year will be my 5th straight Spanish christmas :)
  • Options
    Kirrie, first thing to do is avoid comparing your running with others' - they are not you!! :)

Ultimately you want to build your stamina to run 26.2 miles as best you can. - So planning your running so your long runs are (eventually) knocking on the 18+ mark will serve you in good stead.

Many people never run race distance in training and perform extremely well on this strategy.

You have a sprint session in there - not sure if you can push the 6miler given sprints the day before... ideally a day's recovery would have been nice to make full use of this session.

If you can get out on a Friday and put in a varied session - Hills, fartlek, intervals etc, and trust the Sunday LSR to build your base, then you will be doing OK:)

I'll have to check my log, but from the top of my head I don't think I have ever done more than a 40 mile week? - I'll get back to youse on that one!!

Certainly my normal mileage is anywhere between 3 miles and 30, depending on just how lazy, er busy, I have been! ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Boffin! You've made me feel a bit better! Printed out Hal Higdons training plan, so will follow that during the weeks and do my LSR's with my club mates. My friend has done something ludicrous like 50 marathons and obviously knows what kind of Sunday runs we should be doing.

Cheers for your advice!!!!
  • Options
    Just checked, my highest weekly mileage this year was 29 miles - and this year I have set 4 PBs:

Marathon: 3:54:07 (Hilly)
    7 mile: 56:02 (Hilly)
    10k: 46:37 (Flat)
    5k: 22:09 (Flat)

Just for interest, the weekly miles I have done are as follows...

6,13,19,29,19,0,26(cardiff mara),4,16,23,
    8,26 (Cornish Mara),3,5,21,3.

So scanning through those - no major miles. Ok, so I don't just run, but my main sport is running - and thus my main source of fitness.

What I am trying to suggest is it is not how many miles you do, but more how you tailor or structure the miles you do do?
  • Options
    hi it's a newbie here.
    i've just entered edinburgh when i found out i wasn't in london. i've just done 1 marathon before - cardiff in october which was very flat (4.14). Edinburgh looks very hilly on the profile - how hard are the hills really? Do i need to do serious hill training? Any advice for a swansea girl?