Options

London 2007

Comments

• Options
    Another 12 done. Felt very good on a lovely sunny morning in the forest. 12 miles in 1:32 with miles 8,9 and 10 all at 7:15 pace. 1835 feet of ascent as well. Brings week to 37 which is the most of done in lord knows how long.

Well done big and little RFJ. Must be great supporting the little one. My little one is the sprinter and has no intention of ever running with me. I did challenge her once to a 100m but now she runs that at avg of 12.7 sec (at 13)I have decided best policy os to keep mu mouth shut!

Thats some mileage and running CT. Watch out you dont do too much too early. Good luck Andy. Hope race goes/went well.

305 greatest bit of kit ever!
  • Options
    Hilly, but cloudless, Epsom Downs 12.93 miles done in 1hr 57 - nearly spot on 9m/mi. Would have run the 2.2mi home from my mates house too but he stuck a couple of quick miles in at the end and I was gasping for water so he gave me a lift instead (weak I know but 33 miles this week after Tad 10 last Sunday.)Obviously I have rushed in and downloaded the lot from my 305. Average heart rate 147bpm so probably still bit quick for LSR (at my age).

Swayer - 1.32 seems a bit punchy for a LSR. Do you do the heart rate thing ?
  • Options
    Minni & Crew - Glad you are planning the celb spotting at the start - Is Nel McAndrew running this year?. While you are celb hunting I will probably be in a queue for the you know what! Mrs T nearly missed me at 23m last year as she was drooling over Gordon Ramsey!

Previous "Big Stick" comment also not applies to those with responsibility for little people - I don't know how you manage to fit in any training let alone enough for a marathon.

Swayer - I need to be a bit ahead of the standard programmes as will have to re-schedule/miss 3 long runs due to ski hols. Also I am feeling reasonably comfortable with effort levels as have been building mileage gradually for a while now.

As with Ha Ha, Swayer, RUSCR & others I am also a 305 junkie - without it I doubt I would be able to maintain the target paces & effort levels.

Finally managed to put a bit of the S into the LSR today - 20.2 miles in 2:54:50 avg 8:39 min miles. Avg HR 125 (surprisingly low for an old git of 43!). Tank Jnr came with me on his bike as mobile drinks station.

Now sat down with my feet up & looking forward to rest day tomorrow with added indulgence of massage (of the sports variety of course - mind you theres an idea for a reward if do sub 3:30 in April).
  • Options
    Afternoon Gang.

Some superb training happening as usual - keep it up!

That's the first week out of the way for me and 3:30 or Bust - only 15 more to go!!

Nice steady 10 this morning along the towpath in the sunshine - glorious :-)
    I'm gonna do my best this year to do 2 runs per week on the soft stuff. Six hundred odd miles on tarmac/concrete last year gave my shins hell, so this year hopefully it'll be a bit easier on my old bones!

Looking foward to a nice relaxing Sunday with Miss Hog in front of the telly, with a huuuuge pot of tea!

Speak to you soon - HOG.
  • Options
    Back from Garstang 10k - feeling pretty good considering I was 2 1/2 minutes slower than last year! Ran 42:22, so I've got my sub-43 that RW's schedule recommends, although I'm sure I'll be a lot quicker once I get some more weight off - struggled just a bit mile 4-5 which was the only mile over 7 mins. Brass Monkey half next weekend - so hopefully get under 1:40 there and then I can get on with getting some more miles in.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Andy on the 10k, thats still good going especialy with what you have had to handle lately.

Some good runs elsewhere too,

I had Good long run - also trailing the use of gels..... the first was hoooyed straight back up, then learnt and took a little mouthful at a time and washed down with water. Need to go and buy some diffent makes coz I need to see what the differences are, used power bar gels today (The strayberry and Banana is gross, the lemon and lime jury is still out as is the balckcurrent caffine one). But glad have tried coz did feel better towards end of the run and not so fatigued..... unless its mental.

My first real venture into gels......

Take care
  • Options
    RJF - I bought 5 or 6 different brands of Energy Bar this week to see which one I liked. They all tasted OK but eating them on the run was another ballgame - most of them were much too hard, water of not. The only one I thought was OK was Maxim. It's a bit sweet but soft enough to get down. Go Bar and Power Bar much too chewy. High 5 was OK. I'll be trying out gels next but need to get hold of some first. Just took a bannana with me in my pocket this morning but could cause major embarrassment to passing ladies - you know "is that a bannana in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me ...."
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    My pre race fix is usually a lucuzade and a Mars bar, again not a great fan of the energy bars (but Mars are great)......

Depends on whether you have eaten it or not at the time and where you decide to store it.....................

Take Care
  • Options
    RFJ - I'm a "go" orange gel fan - don't need to drink with them - you can get them pretty cheap from wiggle.
  • Options
    Minni - Hope you manage to get some time for running this week. You do fantastically well to juggle running, kids, work and studying.

I was a bit worried when Mr C announced that he was running Stratford marathon the week after FLM but it has worked well so far. He is obviously understanding about babysitting. I prefer to do my long run on Saturday anyway which means he can do his on Sunday. My friend who has a non running husband is facing a lot more pressure as in "Why do you need to go running again? You went yesterday." And another friend is a single parent who struggles to get out at all. I appreciate how lucky I am but Mr C also realises how much nicer I am once I've had a run.

RFJ - I cannot stomach energy gels at all but jelly babies work a treat.

5 miles aesy today and sunny for a change.My legs are suffering a bit as I've now run 6 days in a row but going to see how long I can go without a rest day.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Cheers Andy - will try, but was gagging on those at first - put too much in my mouth at once. I Suppose its getting used to the slimey gloop....... but think I will always need water to ease them down.....

• Options
    Sorry forgot to say congrats to Andy. A slow time for you Andy but 30 seconds better than my PB!
  • Options
    Andy - Good time and as you say it was under the 43 target. Hope all goes well in the half next week.

Hog - You must be happy to be back up to 10m already.

Gels - I have tried loads and don't seem to get the benefit. As a sweaty bu**er I need to make sure I take on plenty of fluids so I use SIS Go powder mixed into drinks. At FLM last year Mrs T and the Juniors dashed round London like loonies to pass me drinks every 5 miles or so - planning to ask them to do the same this year.

Happy training all - Take care
  • Options
    Hello all its been a while since I've posted. Sounds like there's some great training going on - especially CT - there's no way I'll ever even contemplate that sort of weekly mileage.

Shins are playing up a bit so I've been a bit tentative. Went to pod for new orthotics this week so hopefully that'll help.

This week 30 miles including 5x800m "Yasso" intervals on track at 7min/mile pace, and 14.8m long run today at about 8:15 pace.Felt great (apart from pains at bottom of calves for first 10m) - legs carrying me along on autopilot at times.

Have a good week all.

CT - can you lay out route family can take if they're up for multi-point spectating? Debating with Mrs Roundhay what she should do the 3 Roundhay Sprogs on the day.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    CT - how is the doubling up going? 57 miles is a good mileage. Well donw!
  • Options
    R Mike - We all go the the start, after the gun they walk from Blackheath through a housing estate to mile 7 (approx 2 miles) , after mile 7 then Tank Jnr gets the train from Greenwith to London Bridge and walks back to mile 12, whilst Mrs T gets on the DLR at Greenwich to Crossharbour (mile 17). Tank Jnr then goes to the Tower of London (mile 22.5) and Mrs T gets back on DLR to Monument then a few minutes walk to mile 23 to provide the verbal encouragement to push me on for the last few of miles. I always ask them to be on the left hand side approx 200m after the mile signs - its much easier for me to spot them than for them to see me. Its great seeing family on the way round and keeps the pressure on as I always give them my target tmies for when I will be passing. If you need any more info let me know - also there is the course map on the specatators section of the London Marathon web site.

If Mrs R and the Juniors can't split up they can use the DLR and tube (gets v busy though and can be intimidating for little ones as the trains are crammed), the best points we found were miles 7,17 and 23.
  • Options
    Minni - I dodn't start the doubling up. I spoke to my trainer and he said stick to one session a day - As all is going ok for now I am doing as advised - how about you?
  • Options
    CT I'm sure I've moaned previously that my husband was very impressed that Nel McAndrew was smiling and waving plus was running faster than me.....! huh

Minni did you manage treadmill run?

I seem to survive on runs with my three wheeler buggy, now runs with a three wheeler buggy (19mths) and willing son (6yrs, though that limits run to 5 miles max, or runs on the treadmill, probably only run outside twice a week without buggy so they tend to be long slow ones....

Just read above posts, oops better start planning some long runs, been racing over 10 miles but not actually run much further recently........... time to dig out the MP3 player........

My pre-race energy load is a Mars bar aswell :)
  • Options
    Mornin all

Havent posted for a while but its good to see everyone is training well

I am doing the sub 3:45 schedule but to be honest although all the sessions done to target last week I am lacking in motivation

Also I am so very tired already. My scheduled 8 for Sunday I acyually done Saturday and I struggled.

Hopefully things will pick up
  • Options
    3:45 or Bust - Chin up, felt like that too so entered a few races to 'Focus' my mind! Feel more motivated now I have a goal/reason to go out in the dark & cold. Motivation will come back......... :)
  • Options
    Hi all

been a busy weekend on the thread!!

Well done to RFJ and jnr RFJ. Good running.

CG, well done on a really really long run!! There's no way I'm up to 16kph for 800's yet. I thought I was dying at 14.8kph!! But we've still got 14 weeks to go, so room for improvement!!

Ha ha - what's a good treadsmill session to do? I usually do my speed work at the gym, but am taking delivery of a tready this week (V excited - feel like Xmas is coming again!!), and I'm sure it will make my life much easier to fit it all in.
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm New!Some excellent training being done. I'm aiming for the three runs a week schedule, long run,speed session & threshold.Ran 3'01 last year but havn't got the time to train as before.my first yasso yesterday for 8 months 8 x 800 @ 6.10 pace so pretty pleased!
  • Options
    Help! I am confused-and this forum is friendly. Am on the R.W. 3.30 schedule-and all is going well, BUT at my age MWHR is not as it was-speedwork is tough. I see the schedule calls for a 43 min/10k. I know many of you have been on “runningforfitness” site, so:-
    A 43 min/ 10k gives me a predicted marathon time 0f 3:17:29.
    A 43 min /10k means I have to run at “Yasso 800” pace for 10k.
    I am running well, and a 45min/10k is realistic-this predicts a 3:26:40.
    A 43/10k is not on for me. Should I continue to go for 3:30 as I am hitting all the other target times/distances, and work on good speedwork around 7 min/mile because my b****y MWHR cannot take anymore!
    Finally, Hal Higdon recommends for a first marathoner ‘just get it done’ perhaps I simply settle for a pleasant 4 hour journey?
    Your thoughts please!
    Did a comfortable 4 miles today at 7:54mins/mile Ave.HR 141- too fast of course!Saw two Red Kites out hunting WOW.

• Options
    I'm aiming for a 3:30 FLM as well. I picked up a plan from the New York marathon website.

See my blog. http://www.making-my-mark.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CoachDriver- you should definetly continue,don't worry to much about your 10km time a few mins off is fine.it's the distance and the last 6 miles that will make or break you.I have a 33 min 10km time last year and couldn't break 3hrs according to predictions i should have done under 2'50.it's the miles on your feet and feeling comfortable,how's your half marathon times? 7 mins speed sessions are fine and no doubt you'll get quicker over the coming weeks!
  • Options
    LSR today as had work commitments yesterday. 12 miles in 1 h 45 m averaged 8.40 min mile. A lovely sunny day down by the thames!

Felt really good and its the run in 2 weeks with no pain in my left calf. Looks like sat and sun as rest days with lots of ice treatment has done the trick!

• Options
    Well done DL on your LSR. Assume you didnt have the stongish winds we have down on the coast at the moment;(

Sorry CD, Cant comment too much as this is will only be my second marathon. Followed the RW guide last time but missed loads through ski holidays x 2 and then injury. Achived 3:43 so hopefully, with getting in all the training, 3:30 will be realistic. Did a 42:30 10k week before the last marathon. If a 45min 10k predicts 3:26 and you are comfortable at doing that now then as Bubblecop says, its time on your feet and there is still 14 weeks to go.

AA I am now jealous! Which one are you getting?? Did mention to Mrs S I was thinking of getting one at Christmas in the sales but that met with a very blank look! Assume that the 42" plasma to put up in front of it will be delivered at the same time.

Bubblecop, thats some training. Nice of you to pop in but methinks you need to hit the sub 3 site. I can do a 6:10 pace but only for the distance it is from the front door to the car when its raining - some 10 metres!

Oh yes, nearly forgot. 4 miles done at lunch time in 30 mins dead. Felt pleased as was somewhat tired from yesterdays run and also ran 2nd mile mostly up hill in to a head wind;(....but downhill with wind behind on the return:) Its also official....I HATE tarmac!

RUSCR I used to use the HR but havent of late. Will probably start to use again. Last time I used it I did 10m at avg 7:38pace (Xmas Eve) and avrg HR was 168. So using the 220 - age, max is 176. Is this good or bad????
  • Options
    Oh Come On!! My Bl***y leg feels like it's gone again :-o I thought seven weeks away from running would have been more than enough time for it too heal - but no, the pain is back + I've got a kinda shinsplint pain on the other leg - AAARRRGGHH :-( Seems like I've jumped in too fast.

Guess I have to face up to the fact that I'm not 18 anymore (long time since) So, it's off to the Physio again later in the week, and I think I already know what she's gonna say.

I'll let you know how it goes - HOG.
  • Options
    Hog - sorry to hear that, not good news. Fingers crossed its nothing too serious!