Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    another tip..anyone wanting to write any info..eg; mile,half-way times,etc..or any message to even spur you on...write it on your number upside down of course,so you can read it..
  • Options
    Hi everyone, been totally silent recently, but have been lurking & reading!
    Am very nervous about sunday, but reading the posts helps to convert it to excitement.
    One question - suddenly everyone that I speak to has an opinion about how to run a marathon - EVRYONE, mostly people who play football once a week and think that this makes them honed & fit!!
    Most of the opinions are that I haven't done enough training - which I know I haven't on account of February's spectacular arm-breaking and subsequent op. But I know i've done enough to get round, maybe not in style, but I'll do it. Is anyone else suffering at the hands of know-it-alls undermining them?? I am ignoring them & nothing will give me greater pleasure than proving them wrong, but still...
    I'm running in 1661, see yis there!
  • Options
    OK FAJ - see you at the medical tent at 8.10! I think I'll be wearing a light blue Nike running top and black Nike shorts and Nike trainers ( BB's not the only one) and I will no doubt be weighed down with two bottles of Lucozade Sport.

What time do you reckon you'll take to do each section then? I'm giving myself ages to do Arthur's seat and reckon it will take me almost 2hrs to reach Seafield and just over three to reach Silverknowes

Gary - the paper won't be online until lunchtime - they don't put the new one on the web until you can buy it on the street. The first copies are usually in newsagents at around 11 or 11.30

Daisybop - I think you should be OK without music - we'll chat to you!

• Options
    Thanks anaesthesia and good luck. You will get round because you want to.

anaesthesia.........1661
    Bevster.............1213
    Big Al..............5160
    billyb..............3303
    Billy White
    Bow Legged Dwarf....2870
    Cath Ferguson
    CC..................2921
    ChunkyD.............4463
    daisybop............1442
    DebbieB.............1910
    EEyin...............4228
    Ellie
    FAJ.................1658
    Fleegle.............1215
    Gary Fegan..........4324
    Gary Thomas
    Gerard Collins
    Graham Haldane......5285
    Guinevere...........1182
    Haggis
    hazel watson
    Ian Cockburn........4231
    jacques chezeaurd
    JB
    JJ
    Loe McGrane.........3311
    katypie.............2117
    Kay Burns
    Kitty................2000
    LesH.................2977
    Leonie Shields
    Liz
    Liz Keer
    Liz Robson...........1906
    Lizzie
    Lizzie Bott
    Madrin................2089
    Mairead
    Maureen
    Natural Blonde........1761
    Nora Bone.............1645
    Owls Fan..............5373
    Road Runner2..........2167
    runnerbean............2084
    Steady................4185
    StevieBoy
    superveterana.........1518
    The Bevster
    The Plodder
    Tony the Nose
    Trev Keer
    TwoDogs
    Yog Shoggoth
  • Options
    anaesthesia - Good on you!

Just because this damn event has taken over my life doesn't change the fact that you've got to treat 26.2 miles with great respect. My brother is an extremely fit footballer and he's doing the marathon as well. He's tried to cram all his training into a few weeks post season. I've no doubt that he'll get around with his good level of fitness and mental attitude but I really think he's going to find it harder than expected. He went for an 18 mile run (he had previously done 2 X 14) and was suprised when his knee gave up at 16! Like hello...

You prove those arm-chair critics wrong and have a great day.
  • Options
    Anaesthesia - YES everyone is an expert. But at least my sceptical other half has said he thinks I've done enough to get round OK.

By the way has anyone else started laying out their kit yet?? I have! Must be starting to get excited!

Not sure I will manage to carry two bottles of Lucozade Sport , a small tin of vaseline, three gels, two packs of dextrose tabs, a mobile phone and a bag of jelly babies!!!!!
  • Options
    I think you will need a small rucksack for that lot. I restrict myself to a Timex Ironman to record my mile times on. I carry a one litre bottle of still water. I will discard this at the 2nd water station and thats it.
  • Options
    anaesthesia,
    i know what you mean...non-runners think they know it all.
    just to give you an example..
    ive run 13 marathons,and 25 half-marathons,and yet people still think they should offer me opinions on something they know nothing about..
    i'll put you in the picture....in london marathon i did it in 3-42....which was a PB for me in that race,yet when someone asks me what position i cam in,i said something like 13,000,and was told that was crap,yet my time was good...
    finishing positions dont matter unless youre out to win the race..so if someone asks how you did in edinburgh say you finished it in whatever time...but say positions dont come into it..
    its all about finishing it first of all,then have a look at your time..first timers,...whatever you run it will be a PB time..it is a real achievement to do a marathon,and be proud and let everyone know about it..
  • Options
    It is indeed. If we only ran to win there would be very few of us running. I quit rowing because it was only about winning.
  • Options
    guinevere-what are you like?
    you should wait for the sweepers,and they could carry all your stuff for you...
    it'll be like horse racing where jockeys carry about a stone overweight..
    just imagine though ,near the end when all your stuff has been eaten etc..you'll run on air
  • Options
    hello Guinevere,

Thanks for saying you will chat to me!! maybe not take it now! Hi steady thanks for adding
    my no to the list.
    I think I would like to maybe go around the course with some of you:And help each other
    out.My times for a 10k are 1hr:My 1/2 marathon times are 2hrs 20.So if any of you guys out
    their would, nt mind me plodding along with them can you let me know?? I am also on half
    day from work.Going home to get packed and tick off the list so as not to forget anything!!
    My nerves are going big time.So I suppose all the adrenalin will get us through,fingers crossed.
    Can not seem to type any more!!

Bye daisybop!!
  • Options
    Bye daisybop, and have a very good day.
  • Options
    cheers guys!
    I will, I will, I will prove them wrong! Bloody cheek anyway, I'll listen to people who have actually done a marathon, as you say, Gary, armchair critics have no place in my life.
    Guinevere, your list of supplies bears an uncanny similarity to mine (barring the juice, I have my volunteer army for that)! I'm not that worried about weighing myself down, have been running with full water bottles after all & it's not like I'll be zipping along at such a speed that they'll add to the wind resistance!!
    Good luck everyone. we can do it, and PB's all round!
  • Options
    Are the under5's (hours not age!) also meeting at the medical tent, or was it the baggage area (but think there's 2 - male and female)? Just after 8.00 would seem good time.

BillyB - Arm wallets! That's a new one. Don't suppose you can get them at Waverley Station, on an Edinburgh bus tour, or in an Italian restaurant. Too late for any other shopping now.

• Options
    Anaesthesia - glad I'm not the only one relying on fuel supplies and adrenalin!!! I may ditch a bottle of Lucoazade in favour of a pack of dextrose tablets. The other half is going to be stationed at mile 18 with a High 5 caffeine and guarana energy drink!!!

• Options
    Steady - I'm sure I've come across you on another thread. Did you do the Peterborough Half Marathon - or have I just been on this one so long?
  • Options
    Not Peterborough, no. Did GWR and Stafford so far this year.

Humber Bridge in a couple of weeks time.
  • Options
    See you at the medical tent, then!

Did my last three miles lunchtime yesterday and took body to the osteopath in the evening for a good crunching followed by a rigorous massage! Everything's a bit sore at the moment but I know it'll be settled by Sunday and hopefully I can run nearly niggle-free!

Getting very nervous now! Has anyone actually pinned their number on their top yet? Not saying I have, but I am sort of thinking about it!

• Options
    I will call by the medical tent to say hello.
  • Options
    ...........is anybody briging a digital camera? That was the pictures could go on www.richK.co.uk.
  • Options
    I thought I may use one of those tartan shopping trollies for my supplies, whaddya think?

So glad that I am not the only person being given advice by Mr and Mrs Couch Potato.

Also about half the people I talk to say 'marathon? is that 26 miles?' oh yes and innocent yet accusingly 'not running today?'.
  • Options
    ......I would love a £1 for each time I have been asked how far is it!! It is called the Edinburgh Marathon which tends to imply it is a Marathon, not a half.
  • Options
    At last got a digital photo of self and tried attaching it to my Forum page - but it won't come through for 3 days! I'll be easy to spot tho' - greying hair, nike clothes - can't be many others like that. But I do have Saucony Grid Trigon shoes!
    Oops, almost forgot, I'll be wearing CancerBACUP vest, and I think there's only 6 of us running.
  • Options
    God yes I'd be a zillionaire. Enough to buy loads of shares in Lucozade Sport anyway.
    See you at the medical tent, SV and Steady!!
  • Options
    I will be wearing a white and blue "Headway" vest.
  • Options
    guinevere- my left calf is bit sore today..and have that 5 miler tonight...hope its nothing..
    had my cold bath last night..seemed to help a bit
  • Options
    graham- arm wallet..yes nike do them..holds money,keys etc
  • Options
    Graham,

If you want to stock up on last minute running supplies, get off the train at Haymarket instead of Waverley station. Run & Become is just round the corner from Haymarket on Dalry Road.
  • Options
    R&B don't have arm wallets... I asked a few weeks ago :o(
  • Options
    for all you people outside edinburgh
    weather today.looking out my window in central edinburgh,a few miles from the start..blue skies,sunny warm..20 degrees